Anyone Of The Opinion That This Season Really Sucks?

Dayton Lavon Kitchens

When did they say his career was on a downward spiral?

He was worried that there was no real future in String Theory, give recent developments, so he switched to Dark Matter research, but there's nothing that says his career is in a downward spiral.  Now, he may feel that way if he's kind of starting over with a new field, but it does nothing to negate his reputation as a physicist.

He's apparently always been well-known in the science circles in which the guys operate.

Wasn't one of Sheldon's problem was with his career?  Going nowhere? (Okay maybe not on a downward spiral)..

I will have to research the episodes but I swore one of Sheldon's problems has been that his career has not been all that stellar.  Just seems odd to me that the writers of the show chose to negate that in order to cause drama between him and Leonard.  

Although it would make me think more that Sheldon wanted the credit on the paper more so because his career isn't as great as it used to be.  So being a part of Leonard's theory was a way to put him in the public eye.  Just speculating here...

• Like 1

When did I say that he was professor or associate professor?  I never said that.  He said "senior" and I was trying to remember what it was.  "Lead", "senior", whatever.

Your original comment was that he was the LEAD physicist at Cal Tech. All I said is he can be no such thing without PROFESSOR in his title. LEAD physicists at Cal Tech usually get endowed chairs, such as The Richard Feynman Professor of Theoretical Physics, there is one of the LEAD physicists at Cal Tech. We'll also ignore that he doesn't even have associate or assistant in his title.

The point is that he held a top position--not THE top position--in his field.

You didn't say A top position, you said the LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech, which sounds like the top position to me.

It's not like he's some random grad student.

Not like he's the LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech either, which was my point.

Apart from the fact that Gablehauser was disappeared into the cornfield at some point, the point is that's how the writers describe Sheldon's position at the university.  There's nothing in that scene in that episode to indicate that Sheldon is making up a job title.

But there is nothing to indicate your statement that he's LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech is correct either. As a matter of fact, without Professor in his title, he can't be a lead anything in the physics department, so your statement can't be correct.

So, if the job title is correct (as the writers create the TBBT universe), then Sheldon is the senior physicist.  Meaning senior over Leonard.

Actually, Senior in a job title can simple mean the position has a higher level or responsibility, within a job, not that one person is senior to another. I was one of four senior forecast analysts, the regular forecast analysts gathered and compiled the data, the four senior analysts analyzed the data. But I (and the other senior analysts) did not LEAD the team.

You're the one who brought up tenure, as if it has anything to do with Sheldon's reputation in the science world or his position at the university.  All I was pointing out is that if it's a big deal that he doesn't have tenure, then it's just as big a deal that Leonard doesn't have tenure either. Since neither of them have tenure, then that's not a factor in Sheldon's position as senior theoretical particle physicist.  If that's his position, then it's not Leonard's position, tenure or no tenure.

I didn't claim Leonard was LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech, you said Sheldon was LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech. I brought up tenure as you can't be a lead physicist at a university without being at least a Full Professor and you can't get that title without tenure. There can be multiple senior physicist positions, there could be several senior physicist positions, those positions may involve research, instead of teaching.  Or, using your logic Leonard could be the Senior Experimental Physicist and if that's his position then it's not Sheldon's position, but both would be senior physicists. But either way, neither of them could be LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech, as neither have tenure and thus can't be Professors.

Do you have any proof that Sheldon was making up his job title?

I was talking about your claim that he was LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech, not that he was making up his job title. You're the one going on about his job title, the one without Professor in it.

Like I said, that's the title the writers have given him--why would he call himself that if it wasn't true?  He was simply giving the woman his previous job title.  In that scene it was meant to be juxtaposed against the kind of job he was seeking, something tedious and demeaning, totally opposite of this current position.

Oh yeah, you explained this before. They just gave him the job title for that one episode, it really doesn't mean anything after that, they just used it for the juxtaposition.

LEAD Physicist at Cal TechTypical comeback when you don't seem to have anything  to counter the argument.

The contortions that go on around here, at times, to explain away his behavior (like avoiding explaining how he is LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech without having tenure or just admitting the statement was incorrect) is nothing except SCDNR

• Like 5

No they weren't, although I suppose it depends on your definition of intimate.

I think we all agree that season 8 has not focussed on Lenny as much as it should have considering the fact season 7 finished with them engaged and compared to Howardette in season 5 it's been too low key.

But season 8 has still given us:

I'm scared about marriage too but I want to hold your hand and do it with you following a deep and meaningful discussion

A best fiancé ever picture frame

A mature discussion about how to deal with their finances leading to sex ( not handled well but it happened)

An absolutely loving and adorable sequence of scenes in the Prom alone and in love ( yeah we expected a kiss but seriously they could not have looked more intimate in that rooftop dance)

Penny absolutely pining for her man while he was stuck in the clean room wanting him to come to Amy's

Penny sitting in hospital waiting room after taking him for operation

The whole body paint episode

Helicopter with camera shopping and legs linked while laying stuffed on couch.

Three episodes in bed or before and after "bed"

And plenty of hand holding, subtle touches and togetherness.

Am I the only one who thought Leonard and Penny singing "Soft Kitty" TOGETHER for Sheldon was adorable?

• Like 2

Your original comment was that he was the LEAD physicist at Cal Tech. All I said is he can be no such thing without PROFESSOR in his title. LEAD physicists at Cal Tech usually get endowed chairs, such as The Richard Feynman Professor of Theoretical Physics, there is one of the LEAD physicists at Cal Tech. We'll also ignore that he doesn't even have associate or assistant in his title.

You didn't say A top position, you said the LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech, which sounds like the top position to me.

But there is nothing to indicate your statement that he's LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech is correct either. As a matter of fact, without Professor in his title, he can't be a lead anything in the physics department, so your statement can't be correct.

Actually, Senior in a job title can simple mean the position has a higher level or responsibility, within a job, not that one person is senior to another. I was one of four senior forecast analysts, the regular forecast analysts gathered and compiled the data, the four senior analysts analyzed the data. But I (and the other senior analysts) did not LEAD the team.

I didn't claim Leonard was LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech, you said Sheldon was LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech. I brought up tenure as you can't be a lead physicist at a university without being at least a Full Professor and you can't get that title without tenure. There can be multiple senior physicist positions, there could be several senior physicist positions, those positions may involve research, instead of teaching.  Or, using your logic Leonard could be the Senior Experimental Physicist and if that's his position then it's not Sheldon's position, but both would be senior physicists. But either way, neither of them could be LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech, as neither have tenure and thus can't be Professors.

I was talking about your claim that he was LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech, not that he was making up his job title. You're the one going on about his job title, the one without Professor in it.

Oh yeah, you explained this before. They just gave him the job title for that one episode, it really doesn't mean anything after that, they just used it for the juxtaposition.

The contortions that go on around here, at times, to explain away his behavior (like avoiding explaining how he is LEAD Physicist at Cal Tech without having tenure or just admitting the statement was incorrect) is nothing except SCDNR

Tensor, do you realize that you spent all this time and energy refuting a point of semantics? I was pointing out that whatever his title was (and I said "lead" only because I couldn't remember the exact wording of the quote), he wasn't just some random person but was indeed a well-known physicist in academic and science circles and that's why the SA writer might be following his career. The poster to whom I was responding had questioned whether or not the writer would be following Sheldon and his work.

You're acting as if the point was Sheldon's actual academic position. I admit that I misquoted between "lead" and "senior", but it doesn't change the point that Sheldon is well-known, both because he was a child prodigy and because of his current work.

That doesn't take anything away from Leonard, but it also is not a title that Sheldon just made up.

The quibble is between the words senior and lead, but in the end, the title isn't a figment of Sheldon's imagination. It could well be that Leonard is considered a senior experimental physicist or whatever. I don't remember off the top my head whether or not the writers have ever mentioned the formal job titles of the other guys, but in the end his exact title isn't the point. But feel to go on and on about lead vs senior.

It actually doesn't matter whether he is THE senior or just one of MANY senior physicists. The point is that he's not a nobody in the science world and therefore the writer could easily be interested in Sheldon's work, Leonard or no Leonard. And it still doesn't make it Sheldon's fault if the writer wants to focus on him rather than Leonard. If I misspoke about Sheldon having a position higher than Leonard's, but he does have seniority, it appears, simply because he's been at CalTech longer than the other guys.

And the writer choosing to focus on Sheldon's work doesn't mean that Leonard's work is in anyway less worthy of interest, it just means that this particular writer isn't interested.

Tensor, do you realize that you spent all this time and energy refuting a point of semantics?

I might point out that you spent all that time trying to justify Sheldon being in some senior position when you could have...

I was pointing out that whatever his title was (and I said "lead" only because I couldn't remember the exact wording of the quote),han the other guys.

Just said, "Oh, OK, it wasn't lead." But instead, you tried to justify his position, his title, being senior to Leonard, and a bunch of other things I never claimed after the first post.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thought Leonard and Penny singing "Soft Kitty" TOGETHER for Sheldon was adorable?

No I thought it was adorable too ( but in the minority I think) - but I didn't think it related to my intimate argument so left it out on my list.

Phanta, What current work does Sheldon have?

To be honest Chrismo, I couldn't answer that for any of the guys at the moment. Heck, I couldn't tell you what Raj has been doing for 5 years! I think out of everyone, we only see Amy actually gainfully employed in real work related to her field on a regular basis. Although now that I think of it, Sheldon was working on Proton decay in a recent episode, the one where he was stressed out and he wore that ridiculous cap and Lenny sang Soft Kitty. He is a theorist after all so staring at a whiteboard thinking ( with Eye of the Tiger as the soundtrack) is pretty much his work!

• Like 2

Well, that's two. I think there are others. My problem here is the two directions the show pulls Sheldon. They are trying to drag him into some sexual awakening and regress him into childhood simultaneously. I get confused, and shift uncomfortably in my seat in response.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

I might point out that you spent all that time trying to justify Sheldon being in some senior position when you could have... Just said, "Oh, OK, it wasn't lead." But instead, you tried to justify his position, his title, being senior to Leonard, and a bunch of other things I never claimed after the first post.

And you could have understood the point of my original post rather than fixate on this issue.

• Like 1

Forgive me, Tensor and phanta. You know I always enjoy reading your posts, but: 'THIS! IS! AN EX! PARROT!'

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 4

And you could have understood the point of my original post rather than fixate on this issue.

I could have, but since you're the one who made the incorrect statement, it was incumbent on you to retract it, not try to defend it. As you kept going deeper and deeper to justify it, it turned into such a perfect example of a SCDNW explanation.

Forgive me, Tensor and phanta. You know I always enjoy reading your posts, but: 'THIS! IS! AN EX! PARROT!'

Oh, I freely admit to being pedantic. One of the things that Leonard and I have in common.

• Like 5

No, I actually enjoyed it too, for two reasons; one they were adorable together singing it together and two, it finally put an end to that Shenny thing of it only being something between Penny and Sheldon, because it had been hinted in the show that Leonard had to sing it to him before when Sheldon was sick.

• Like 6

I watched a rerun of The Bakersfield Expedition this week and it put season 8 more in perspective for me. The scene, in the beginning, Penny asks why the guys are going and they explain it to her, then Sheldon sums it up by telling her it is like pizza and even the stinky (sucky) ones are good, which reminded me of season 8. No matter how much I bitch, TBBT is my favorite show on TV and I'd rather watch a sucky season of it than anything else. I honestly think that unless the ratings tank badly or the stars ask for ridiculous pay raises, we will see a season 11 and maybe more, because people just like this show and the characters.

• Like 5

Here's my feeling about this season:  I don't like it as much as the earlier seasons.  Partly because i guess I really enjoyed the romantic story of Leonard and Penny, and I just don't feel that storyline anymore.  Just because they are engaged shouldn't put that storyline on the shelf.   It's almost like they are a couple of old marrieds and the fire is gone.   And, frankly, I just feel that the writers have pretty much tapped all the funny geek stuff that was the essence of the show for the first 4 or 5 seasons.  It's played out.  Someone mentioned that it seemed like Kaley was bored in some scenes.  I don't know if I noticed that but it wouldn't surprise me.  Personally, I think it would be best to wrap the show after season 10... that's still 2 more seasons.  10 seasons by any standard is a long run.  And I'm thinking Kaley may be focusing on her home life and maybe kids. By season 10 she'll be about 30 and in the business at that point a long time.  I could see her just saying it's time for other things.  And Jim seems like he's branching out to theatre and movies.

It's really hard to keep mining the same vein of comedy for even this long.  The writers have done a great job but the "freshness" just seems more absent than present.  I could see the main actors coming to a consensus that 10 seasons will do it.    

And others may see it completely differently.   Just my feelings at this point.

• Like 3

Here's my feeling about this season:  I don't like it as much as the earlier seasons.  Partly because i guess I really enjoyed the romantic story of Leonard and Penny, and I just don't feel that storyline anymore.  Just because they are engaged shouldn't put that storyline on the shelf.   It's almost like they are a couple of old marrieds and the fire is gone.   And, frankly, I just feel that the writers have pretty much tapped all the funny geek stuff that was the essence of the show for the first 4 or 5 seasons.  It's played out.  Someone mentioned that it seemed like Kaley was bored in some scenes.  I don't know if I noticed that but it wouldn't surprise me.  Personally, I think it would be best to wrap the show after season 10... that's still 2 more seasons.  10 seasons by any standard is a long run.  And I'm thinking Kaley may be focusing on her home life and maybe kids. By season 10 she'll be about 30 and in the business at that point a long time.  I could see her just saying it's time for other things.  And Jim seems like he's branching out to theatre and movies.

It's really hard to keep mining the same vein of comedy for even this long.  The writers have done a great job but the "freshness" just seems more absent than present.  I could see the main actors coming to a consensus that 10 seasons will do it.    

And others may see it completely differently.   Just my feelings at this point.

I have not liked this season at all, Far too much Sheldon, not enough comedy. Yes, imo Kaley seems to be going through the motions without enthusiasm. Who can blame her, the scripts have been average at best.

• Like 4

No but it has been kind of meh/lackluster overall in my opinion.  I haven't really noticed anything I can't watch again (well other than the Shenny stare down).  I still enjoy it and look forward to it and aside of my NCISes and Scorpion (completely different kinds of shows) I go out of my way to make sure I watch TBBT.

One thing I noticed, in viewing some of the S8 reruns, it seems that there has been a lot of focus on Shlenard.  Maybe as a set up to make changes in S9 (like Lenny living arrangements, Lenny wedding, how to advance Shamy living arrangements...if at all)?  Just something that stuck out to me.    

I have absolutely despised this season. To me TBBT is loosing its former luster. I don't think the characters are being written as they should. While I perfectly understand that Leonard and Penny should be in the background to allow Shamy to catch up the way they have been writing them is abysmal and makes you even wonder why they'd want to be together. On top of that, there used to be a lot of laugh out loud moments in any episode, and now maybe I'll smile at 2 moments and that's it. I follow it more to see where it will all end up, having invested in the 7 previous seasons, but it not what it once was, at least for me. I have to say that I didn't like season 7 too much either, except for some isolated episodes. That being said, I think seasons 1-6 where some of the best serialized TV episodes I've seen. AS they say: All good things ...

• Like 7

I have absolutely despised this season. To me TBBT is loosing its former luster. I don't think the characters are being written as they should. While I perfectly understand that Leonard and Penny should be in the background to allow Shamy to catch up the way they have been writing them is abysmal and makes you even wonder why they'd want to be together. On top of that, there used to be a lot of laugh out loud moments in any episode, and now maybe I'll smile at 2 moments and that's it. I follow it more to see where it will all end up, having invested in the 7 previous seasons, but it not what it once was, at least for me. I have to say that I didn't like season 7 too much either, except for some isolated episodes. That being said, I think seasons 1-6 where some of the best serialized TV episodes I've seen. AS they say: All good things ...

Come to an end. Lol. I feel your pain lenny is why I got into bbt just like you and I must say if things do not improve next season I will seriously consider stop watching the show. But will always have my great lenny memories & never stop shipping them.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Come to an end. Lol. I feel your pain lenny is why I got into bbt just like you and I must say if things do not improve next season I will seriously consider stop watching the show. But will always have my great lenny memories & never stop shipping them.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I have already decided not to buy S8 DVD. Why buy it just to let it gather dust? I know I will not play ir.

• Like 3