Anyone Of The Opinion That This Season Really Sucks?

Dayton Lavon Kitchens

I will download my favourite lenny episodes from S8. I too will not be buying it. What is the point of wasting money for 3 or 6 episodes out of 24 depending on the outcome of the remaining episodes.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Honestly, I think s8 is stronger than s7. While neither season has been the funniest, s8 has had more episodes I've liked and more strong plots that I think will be classic (prom, the girls in Troll). Most of all, the character writing has been better than in s7, and there's a better balance between all of the characters. Leonard and Bernadette felt MIA last season, imo. 

Starsamaria I must say that I disagree with you and I don't think character balance is very good this season since we have seen waaaay too much Shamy and Shenny. This season Lenny has been MIA which is even worse. I know that I will NOT be buying the season in blu-ray. I bought season 7 last year in hopes that seeing all episodes back to back would make me like them more, but that wasn't the case, so.... not this time around.

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 2

I am disappointed with this season, too, but I'll keep watching and hope for the best.

Mainly hoping that Raj's creepy girlfriend Emily will disappear. He deserves better. And I wouldn't mind a bit if he turns out to be gay and hooks up with Stuart.

• Like 3

Actually I would love for Raj to perhaps not turn out to be gay, because there is ample evidence that he isn't, but at least acknowledge he is bisexual and have Howard be funnily horrified at the fact that everything that has happened between him and Raj has a different meaning from what he previously thought.

• Like 1

Actually I would love for Raj to perhaps not turn out to be gay, because there is ample evidence that he isn't, but at least acknowledge he is bisexual and have Howard be funnily horrified at the fact that everything that has happened between him and Raj has a different meaning from what he previously thought.

What would be the point of that?

Up above you said that you didn't think the characters are being written as they should.  What do you think the writers should be doing?  How should the characters be written?

I'm fascinated by all the doomsayers and complainers about this season (or any other, really.)  It's not that I think that no one should be allowed to complain about the show, but I find some of the complaints interesting because I totally do not get what the problem is.

http://www.eonline.com/news/641406/yes-one-of-our-favorite-tv-comedies-just-got-renewed

I was reading this article this morning and New Girl got renewed for season 5.  The showrunner was quoted as saying that Season 3 was mediocre cause they spent too much time focusing on the relationships rather than the small everyday stories.  What are your thoughts as in applies to BBT?

"I have been having a lot of fun in the writers' room this year putting some of the relationship drama aside and just focusing on making the stories as funny as possible," creator Liz Meriwether told us. "Surprisingly, telling stories about smaller events in the characters' lives has actually deepened the relationships on the show.  It turns out the best way to tell a story about a relationship is to not tell a story about a relationship.  I'm going to get that quote tattooed to my lower back later." Sounds about right!

What would be the point of that?

Up above you said that you didn't think the characters are being written as they should.  What do you think the writers should be doing?  How should the characters be written?

I'm fascinated by all the doomsayers and complainers about this season (or any other, really.)  It's not that I think that no one should be allowed to complain about the show, but I find some of the complaints interesting because I totally do not get what the problem is.

but if you ask a certain shippers on here what their least favorite season they will say 1, 2 , or 3. It 's also hard to understand others complaints espicially since the one ship has always been smooth sailing.
  • Like 5

season 8 sucks?

Not for me. It has taken on a different direction ( skewed in MY favour) but definitely does not 'suck'  ( if you are a Lenny, sure... then I could see how it would be a bad season. They have taken a back seat this year but to base the whole season on one couple is, for me, harsh)

season 8 - LOVE IT

season 7- not a fan

seasons 1- 6 - loved them ( for various reasons)

whether or not something 'sucks' is dependent on what the viewer wants from the show. 

http://www.eonline.com/news/641406/yes-one-of-our-favorite-tv-comedies-just-got-renewed

I was reading this article this morning and New Girl got renewed for season 5.  The showrunner was quoted as saying that Season 3 was mediocre cause they spent too much time focusing on the relationships rather than the small everyday stories.  What are your thoughts as in applies to BBT?

"I have been having a lot of fun in the writers' room this year putting some of the relationship drama aside and just focusing on making the stories as funny as possible," creator Liz Meriwether told us. "Surprisingly, telling stories about smaller events in the characters' lives has actually deepened the relationships on the show.  It turns out the best way to tell a story about a relationship is to not tell a story about a relationship.  I'm going to get that quote tattooed to my lower back later." Sounds about right!

I think it depends on the relationships and how they're playing out.

And on the characters and the general premise of the story.

But it can certainly be true to a certain extent, depending on what "needs" to happen within the relationship.

• Like 1

Truly appreciate that you have the added the proviso 'not that I think no one should be allowed to complain about the show' especially when there is a part of this fandom that have been following the show for years and is feeling very frustrated and disenfranchised with this season and they have been expressing it for months. You give us the allowance to be upset but then you label us 'doomsayers and complainers'? 

Wow. Just wow.

I personally have written multiple posts to this forum stating exactly why I, as a Lenny, is very upset with this season. And plenty of other Lennys have written their opinions and insights too.

And I'm very happy for you that you 'totally do not get what the problem is'. Because I know, for me, if the Shamy hit a reef and were sinking or we suddenly got less Sheldon or Shenny episodes while Lenny was flying high, I totally would not get what the Shamy problem was either. Lenny's doing fantastic -- you should be happy! The Shamy -- well we haven't seen them in multiple episodes and when we do, they not acting quite right with one another, the love and tenderness aren't quite there and something's a bit off -- but hey! The Lenny have had a wonderful season so far so I don't understand why, you, as a Shamy should be upset -- Lenny's good! Ah, well. Not sure why you're unhappy, but OK, I'll give. You are. But here's always next season, every couple has their arc, and the Shamy will have their's next season! 

That was sarcasm. 

If the Shamy should experience ANYTHING like the negligence Lenny have had so far this season and they took to venting their frustrations, I would never-ever label anyone 'doomsayers and complainers' ESPECIALLY if 'I totally do not get what the problem is.'

• Like 7

Truly appreciate that you have the added the proviso 'not that I think no one should be allowed to complain about the show' especially when there is a part of this fandom that have been following the show for years and is feeling very frustrated and disenfranchised with this season and they have been expressing it for months. You give us the allowance to be upset but then you label us 'doomsayers and complainers'?

Wow. Just wow.

I personally have written multiple posts to this forum stating exactly why I, as a Lenny, is very upset with this season. And plenty of other Lennys have written their opinions and insights too.

And I'm very happy for you that you 'totally do not get what the problem is'. Because I know, for me, if the Shamy hit a reef and were sinking or we suddenly got less Sheldon or Shenny episodes while Lenny was flying high, I totally would not get what the Shamy problem was either. Lenny's doing fantastic -- you should be happy! The Shamy -- well we haven't seen them in multiple episodes and when we do, they not acting quite right with one another, the love and tenderness aren't quite there and something's a bit off -- but hey! The Lenny have had a wonderful season so far so I don't understand why, you, as a Shamy should be upset -- Lenny's good! Ah, well. Not sure why you're unhappy, but OK, I'll give. You are. But here's always next season, every couple has their arc, and the Shamy will have their's next season!

That was sarcasm.

If the Shamy should experience ANYTHING like the negligence Lenny have had so far this season and they took to venting their frustrations, I would never-ever label anyone 'doomsayers and complainers' ESPECIALLY if 'I totally do not get what the problem is.'

Some people are so blinded they only want to see what they want to see and could never see any wrong even if it's staring all over their faces. Paint a picture still would miss it.

The shamy this season has been well deserved and happy for the progress. I somehow get the background lenny but just feel they could have got more scenes. I have no problem with the great progress of shamy it about time just the way the writers have locked lenny out that is hard to swallow.

Edited by Tonstar17
  • Like 7

I understand why some of you dislike this season, even though its been one of my favorites.  I felt the same way you do now about season 6 & 7 due to my ship and their glaring imbalance..

nothing personal but I must of missed that imbalance.
  • Like 1

nothing personal but I must of missed that imbalance.

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified that a bit.  It was less the lack of story time (cause they did get their share those seasons) but more an imbalance in the way the Shamy relationship was being written.  Honestly by the end of season 7 I was starting to question why they were even together.  But somehow that message sunk in with the writers and they worked to correct that problem this season.  The imbalance for Lenny though is that they haven't even gotten quality screen time this season. In my opinion, slowing them down could have been accomplished while still giving them plots that could be worked with.  They could have focused more on either of their careers, especially Leonard's and even though they sort of did try to do that, it just never seemed to go anywhere.  Hopefully like it happened with Shamy this year, the writer will have clued into this problem and work to fix it next season.

• Like 5

To Phantagrae:

I'm doing it like this because I cannot quote your post. I really don't understand why you can't understand why I'm saying that the characters are not being written as they should. It's pretty simple. It's not that I want them to be written in a certain way, but at least I would like them to have internal coherence. They have to be coherent with themselves and who they are. While I know they are all fictional characters, they should be written in a coherent fashion , and not do things that are out of character, or at the very least regress inexplicably. If for example Lenny progressed in a certain way, it has no internal logic to regress them to... well I don't know when , because they seem so indifferent to each other that it makes no sense.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that you think the way you think, because by reading your posts I've come to consider you a TBBT apologist since in your eyes apparently the writers can do no wrong. While you have every right to think that way so do the people who disagree with you.

• Like 2

To Phantagrae:

I'm doing it like this because I cannot quote your post. I really don't understand why you can't understand why I'm saying that the characters are not being written as they should. It's pretty simple. It's not that I want them to be written in a certain way, but at least I would like them to have internal coherence. They have to be coherent with themselves and who they are. While I know they are all fictional characters, they should be written in a coherent fashion , and not do things that are out of character, or at the very least regress inexplicably. If for example Lenny progressed in a certain way, it has no internal logic to regress them to... well I don't know when , because they seem so indifferent to each other that it makes no sense.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that you think the way you think, because by reading your posts I've come to consider you a TBBT apologist since in your eyes apparently the writers can do no wrong. While you have every right to think that way so do the people who disagree with you.

But you obviously have an idea of "as they should"--that's what I was asking about.  What is it that you think isn't coherent or out of character, because I haven't sensed that at all.

I'm not an apologist, but I also haven't felt that any of the characters have been regressed or written out of character.  For me the closest in that area might be Sheldon mentioning things like Taylor Swift or Beyonce, since he's never seemed to care for popular music.  But it's not like he's going to their concerts or anything and the lines get a quick laugh and are easily forgotten.

And I'm certainly not saying you don't have the right to disagree with my point of view, but I'm always curious about what it is that motivates people to take certain positions or form certain opinions, because there's always an underlying reason for any opinion that one forms, whether it's your personal desire to see certain things, or your dislike of certain things, etc. (collective "you", btw.)

I guess I just don't see the Lenny "quiet time" as any kind of regression of their relationship or whatever, but simply the way the storytelling has played out.  It doesn't seem to me that there is any evidence that L/P aren't in love just because they aren't making out in every episode or living together or polishing Penny's engagement ring or looking at bridal magazines.

As others have stated, to me they seem to be in a comfortable place, secure in their love for each other, secure in the fact that they are engaged and plan to be married, even if it isn't tomorrow, and so forth.

But I'm also not bothered by Sheldon and Amy not necessarily doing anything overtly romantic in any given episode.  While the writers have spent more time this season working on their progress or having them take some important steps, they're still not moving forward all that quickly and that seems to make sense to me.

I don't see any lack of coherence or character regression in how L/P have been written, either individually or as a couple, so that's why I was curious as to what it is you see.

• Like 1

We're far enough in that I think I can hazard an opinion but this season is arguably to me the worst of the lot. 

Where to begin:

1) Kaley Cuoco's new look every week.   It seems to me that she is changing her hair and general look in some way almost from episode. 

2) Penny without the cheesecake factory and her horrible acting career.   I didn't realize how much her dead end waitress job and hugely unsuccessful acting career defined the character but it did. 

3) Raj.  Does the guy from India have the least thing to do now?   He has a girlfriend.  Big deal. 

4) Sheldon.   the character might have shown personal growth but his wandering in the dark for a new focus for his career has added a real element of annoyance. 

Just my thinking. 

Sucks? - No, there have have been some brilliant episodes this season, I do agree with you to a certain extent about Penny's career though - who would have thought that being a pharmaceutical rep would be less funny than being a waitress/struggling actress? - yeah, probably everybody, it really hasn't worked, so hopefully it will just be a one season thing and Penny will return to trying to become an actress next season.

Edited by luke

• 3 weeks later...

After more episodes being shown I can categorically say that IMO S 8 does INDEED suck. While the first 6 1/2 seasons were, to me some of the best ever in television, this season is so bad after TBBT is done, I'll think it will be better for me to imagine the show ended broadcasting new episodes sometime during season 7 and make my own ending.

• Like 4

I'm not giving up but I will call this, for me, "the lost season". Shamys will have a different view. Now they are about to wrap I can gleefully await something different in season 9. Fool me once,.... all the way to ten I guess.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

Well, of course, it's all a matter of personal taste, but I agree this season has been a disappointment.  For me all it takes is to watch a rerun of some of the early episodes that were really funny.  I don't find that happens anymore for me.  And as a Lenny fan, of course this season hasn't been that much to care about.  Let's face it, the first 6 seasons all had an interesting and enjoyable trajectory for Leonard and Penny with their ups and downs.  It was a very heartwarming story of their romance.  If you cared about that story, then each season pulled you along.  So now both that Lenny story is largely absent and, in my view, the funny stuff in general is lacking.  I just don't get excited to watch the show anymore.  As I have commented before, I feel like the show has run out of steam.  And it seems like they had a new angle filled with potential with Raj and Emily, but Emily's been mostly AWOL.  I mean one of the big deals over the years has been Raj can't get a girlfriend.  Emily seemed like a quirky character who cared for Raj, but... not much going on there.

• Like 4

Ok I think it's finally time to put my input in, as a shamy. I'm in this position where I both think this is both the worst and best season of the show.

On the aspect of character development I can consider this as the best for that with most of the characters, I know some of you lennies may not believe me, because of the lack of wedding, but they've come a far way from their first relationship. Before you say they should be planning their wedding by now, plenty of my parents friends were engaged 5+ years before marriage, it's very normal (from what I've seen). And shamy's relationship has improved massively from the end of s7, when he ran away, and I have to say, I'm so greatful for the ILYs and the sleepover - a great way to tackle the issue in their quirky way. There has also been plenty of development with Howard and raj - Howard's finally starting to grow up (rather slowly) after the death of his mother and raj has had a long term relationship with a girl without blowing it, 2 seasons ago he couldn't even talk to girls without being drunk!

Even though all this has happened between the characters, in the comedy front, it has been disappointing compared to earlier seasons. Don't kill me for saying this, but I probably wouldn't be watching this show atm without the development between shamy. To be honest it just rarely makes me laugh out loud compared to when I first started watching this show. It could be because of the writing, it could be because I'm more used to British humour. Yes, it still has its moments but it isn't at its peak for comedy.

To be honest, I think both us shamies and lennies use our ships to colour our opinions of the show. By that, I mean when something goes/ doesn't go our way, we think the show is better/worse than it is, it's a natural human instinct. Overall I think this season is both the best and the worst season, based on what aspect is considered.

PS: soz for the school essay, it kinda needed to be said

(Crawls back to sickbed)

• Like 1

True, if I didn't color the show with my Lenny ship, I would rate this season as okay and if I was a Shamy, I would be happy so far. The problem with being a Lenny shipper is that the roller coaster, Lenny has rode, is higher and scarier than the other couples could even handle, much less survive and I think most of us want the writers to let us ride the smaller coasters the others ride and give the big coaster to someone else.

• Like 3