3ku11

The Middle

Decided to give it a shot. Now its still deriving from Malcom in the middle. But sometimes the best shows are based on originals. Its a absolute gem. Imwatching s6 right now. The show has its own agenda. Its got its own agenda. Have to watch from the beginning.

I don't really see the connection with Malcolm in the Middle that a lot of people mention. MITM focused more on the children, particularly the eponymous Malcolm, whereas The Middle is more about the mother, Frankie. If anything, I would say it derives more from Roseanne by focusing on the mother of a working class family. Although Brick could be thought of like Dewey, he's also smarter than Dewey and more peculiar than weird. Dewey did a lot of strange stuff on MITM. There's no comparable character for Sue Sue Heck on MITM and, although Axl isn't perfect, he's not nearly as bad as the MITM boys. The fathers are also very different. Hal was always doing crazy things on MITM, but Mike on The Middle is easily the least crazy character on that show.

I think The Middle is great. It's still at the top of its game in season six and the quality has never dipped, unlike Modern Family. It has a lot of heart which I think MF has lost over the years.

• Like 2

I think The Middle is great. It's still at the top of its game in season six and the quality has never dipped, unlike Modern Family. It has a lot of heart which I think MF has lost over the years.

It's easily the most under-appreciated sitcom of current tv, but it's also my favourite, pushing TBBT into second. I really like the earlier seasons better than the later ones, mainly because Axl was still at high school (which meant he was still living in the family home), Brick was cute rather than creepy, and Frankie still worked at the car dealership which gave the show great scope for jokes. That said, the later season still do the show justice, and some episodes are as warm and witty as ever

Plus, they have unearthed an amazing comedy actor in Charlie McDermott, who I am sure is destined for greater things.

• Like 3

I love The Midde. I have watched it since the beginning and I enjoy it more than Modern Family which is arguable more popular. I never watched Malcom in the Middle, so I can't make any comparisons. Brick is my favorite because he has some really funny lines and the actor delivers them really well.

I have also not lost interest in The Middle, where as I barey watch Modern Family anymore.

• Like 3

I LOVE The Middle! That show is so much like my real life, it's scary! I have been married 20 years, 3 kids, oldest a boy in college. Our other son is really awkward, enthusiastic daughter! When Frankie stayed up all night to watch the royal wedding- so funny! I did that too! It was like my super bowl! Great show!

• Like 3

Decided to give it a shot. Now its still deriving from Malcom in the middle. But sometimes the best shows are based on originals. Its a absolute gem. Imwatching s6 right now. The show has its own agenda. Its got its own agenda. Have to watch from the beginning.

I have watch The Middle. And It not bad. it okay had it moments.

As I have said before I prefer Multi-Camera Sitcoms. There are very few Single-Camera Sitcoms I like. Maybe like only Two or Three

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 1

I have watch The Middle. And It not bad. it okay had it moments.

As I have said before I prefer Multi-Camera Sitcoms. There are very few Single-Camera Sitcoms I like. Maybe like only Two or Three

I also prefer Multi-Camera Sitcoms. I like that a lot of them are filmed in front of a live audeince and I go to many tapings of them. Single camera sitcoms are still funny to me, but I feel like I traditionally laugh more at multi-camera ones. The one thing I can't stand is when shows have the characters talk to the camera. I don't know what that is called, but the best example of it is "the Office". I guess I am old fashioned and I don't like characters breaking the fourth wall. Just my opinion. I know others feel differently and that's okay. :)

I also prefer Multi-Camera Sitcoms. I like that a lot of them are filmed in front of a live audeince and I go to many tapings of them. Single camera sitcoms are still funny to me, but I feel like I traditionally laugh more at multi-camera ones. The one thing I can't stand is when shows have the characters talk to the camera. I don't know what that is called, but the best example of it is "the Office". I guess I am old fashioned and I don't like characters breaking the fourth wall. Just my opinion. I know others feel differently and that's okay. :)

They call those mockumentaries since it's like the characters are featuring in a documentary. Modern Family is the only one of those I watch, and it's a strange conceit really. They never have explained why the families would be surrounded by documentary crews. Perhaps a final episode reveal.

I generally prefer multicam sitcoms, too. Of shows that aren't on air now, The Wonder Years, Malcolm in the Middle, and Scrubs are the single cam shows I really got into. There's many more multi cam shows I like, but then multicam was the dominant genre for so long.

• Like 2

They call those mockumentaries since it's like the characters are featuring in a documentary. Modern Family is the only one of those I watch, and it's a strange conceit really. They never have explained why the families would be surrounded by documentary crews. Perhaps a final episode reveal.

I generally prefer multicam sitcoms, too. Of shows that aren't on air now, The Wonder Years, Malcolm in the Middle, and Scrubs are the single cam shows I really got into. There's many more multi cam shows I like, but then multicam was the dominant genre for so long.

See that just goes to show you how long it's been since I watched Modern Family since I forgot they do talk to the cameras like a documentary. lol It would be really cool if they did explain it in the final episode.

Back to the Middle discussion. One of my favorite lines is when Brick is looking through a catalog and tells his parents that he can have a steak dinner delivered to their house by the next day, "I literally just need a credit card number".

I really enjoying Season Six. I felt that season 5 was a bit of a lull for the show, with the exception of a couple of episodes (namely 'Thanksgiving V' and 'The Optimist') although I have been far, far more impressed with the sixth season. I was wondering how the show would continue with Axl away and Brick and Sue growing up, along with Frankie and Mike getting on in years, but the show has done that well and has turned itself from a sitcom about having kids to a sitcom about general life in Indiana I think.

I'm watching daily reruns of The Middle and I like it. 

I jumped in here after  a stinker episode of TBBT. It is rare for me to be so critical of an TBBT episode.

I wish more people were watching The Middle.

41fh49YPtWL._SX940_.jpg

• Like 2

Hey, Middle fans! Anyone want to speculate on the final scene of the seventh season finale? If you haven't seen it... SPOILER ALERT! haha Frankie's voice-over mentioned that Axl met the "love of his life." Do you guys think that this is a character we've already met, or someone entirely new? It could go either way, but I'm wondering if they're going to "transform" Weird Ashley and make her girlfriend material... Just a thought! :) I guess we'll find out once the eighth season gets rolling on October 11th!

On 2.8.2017 at 6:43 PM, Kev0821 said:

The Middle is going to end with its upcoming ninth season. I'm so sad to see it go. Unfortunately, it did not make it to season 10, but at least it tied with Patricia Heaton's Everybody Loves Raymond.

http://tvline.com/2017/08/02/the-middle-cancelled-no-season-10-abc/

It is sad, but on the other hand everything has to come to an end and I prefer it ending when it is still very good than overstaying its welcome (which I suspect will be the case for TBBT, if it isn't already).

On another note, I think the TBBT TPTB have to take Eden Sher to play Amy's relative! Younger sister, cousin, future daughter, whatever! She reminds me of Mayim so much and she is an outstanding actress!

The last season 7 episode I bothered to watch made me think this show ran out of gas.

On 13.10.2017 at 7:25 AM, djsurrey said:

The last season 7 episode I bothered to watch made me think this show ran out of gas.

I think they manage pretty well. This week's episode was really good IMO, I was surprised how much I laughed, especially at Sue. Eden is a treasure. And the way they manage to bring back things from years ago, that's so great and satiafying for this long time viewer!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bfm said:

I think they manage pretty well. This week's episode was really good IMO, I was surprised how much I laughed, especially at Sue. Eden is a treasure. And the way they manage to bring back things from years ago, that's so great and satiafying for this long time viewer!

Yes, the writers have been really great about their continuity, i.e., the quilt in the oven, Brick being taken home by the Fergusons as a baby, the inflatable foot bath, the hole in the wall in Sue's room, etc. I could go on and on... It's a remarkably well written and consistent series that I'll miss at the conclusion of the season. However, at least we'll have the re-runs!