The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

815 The Comic Book Store Regeneration (February 19)

Your Episode Rating  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I felt bipolar watching this episode. I was laughing out loud at Nathan Fillion and Penny then suddenly I'm crying. Excellent episode, this season is really good so far.

That was an awesome episode! Simply loved it. Penny was hilarious... She did better than Leonard in the puzzles! The last two scenes were really emotional. Sheldon was surprisinly sweet and Leonard's toast was amazing.

Edited by Sheldon.lover

Even though I had read the taping report and knew what was coming, I still got a bit emotional. It was plain to see that the gang's toast during the tag was actually a toast to Carol-Ann Susi, which was very touching. (My wife was also puzzled by the lack of a "in memory of," but I can see why they didn't do it, as they had already done so back when CAS passed away.) Simon did an amazing job with Howard, going from fury at Stuart to complete shock at his mom's death in the blink of an eye. And Sheldon saying something sweet and supportive instead of something inappropriate? Someone ring up Satan and ask him to check the thermometer down there. :biggrin:

The only part of the episode that didn't really work for me was the Nathan Fillion cameo. It felt like it was shoehorned into the episode at the last minute. Kunal did a good job of showing Raj going from fanboy to skeptic, but other than that, it was pretty meh.

• Like 3

yeah... i don't follow Nathan Fillion's work, so i don't know if he was being like he is in rl or if he was playing some version of himself like Wheaton... but it felt off, or not as funny as i thought.. but Kunal was funny. I have to say that with Kunal i always laugh one way or the other. He has a couple lines per episode, but the way he plays Raj always felt pretty consistent to me, since season 1, really. 

Well, this was the second time ever that I cried during Big Bang (and it wasn't from laughter). Amazingly done. 

Uhm, what? Penny isn't exactly a saint and best friend either...

Where in my post did I said Penny was a saint?

I think that the thing with Nathan Fillion is one of those things that get all hyped up and people expect too much. I thought it was funny, but not really meant to be earth-shattering, kind of like when they had Steve Wozniak on the show.

I think it's harder on people who are just spoiled enough to know that he was going to be on the show, but not spoiled enough to know that he was barely in it. So they hear "Nathan Fillion" and they think it's going to be a big part of the episode.

But it was cute--and the bit where Raj tried to ask him to prove it was really him reminded me of something with David Duchovny back in the day. Back when post-episode chatting was pretty new, DD tried to look in on a chat at one point. He logged onto some chat, probably on the old official site, and said, "Hey, it's me, David Duchovny!" and everyone was all, "No, you're not!" and wouldn't believe him when he tried to say it was really him. :p

And that's kind of the way it is, like with that fake Simon Helberg IG account, where that faker was trying--badly--to prove he was Simon. Nowadays there's very little you could do to prove who you are. If it's some kind of trivia question, well, like Raj, if you know the answer, any other fan would know the answer. And if it's something only the actor would know, then you wouldn't know if it was true. :p

So they've gone the way of Only Fools and Horses, and killed off the character, once the actor dies.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

The whole brain testing was so much fun! It was very much a Shamy team effort according to Sheldon. Amy is no worse a friend to Penny than Sheldon is if that is the big test.

Amy may have conducted the tests on Penny, but Sheldon her partner in crime as usual. They hatched the plot together and probably conducted the tests on everyone they know. It's part of their rich off screen life.

Sheldon just told Penny to punish her for being annoying with the whole "let it go..." babble. She never could have figured it out on her own. Apparently. Which is sad, because the banana in the box should have tipped both her and Leonard off.

• Like 2

I got to see this episode taped and was emotional then and was also very emotional last night.  It was such a powerful episode and handled so well.

Now we didn't see the Nathan parts at the taping and personally I didn't care for that little plot.  It was a cheesy filler to get a big name in the episode and honestly, give Raj & Leonard a plot. 

• Like 2

So they've gone the way of Only Fools and Horses, and killed off the character, once the actor dies.

I think it would have been cheesy and kind of disrespectful to have someone else come in and try to imitate her voice.  And I think having the character pass away is a good way to handle it.  It not only pays tribute to the actress, but it also gives the show a little moment to deal with something serious, to let Howard grow a little more, and just kind of deepens the whole thing.

Her character was special, but not crucial, like if one of the leads on a show were to die--like John Ritter on 8 Simple Rules.  So having the character pass away was a strong, poignant way to handle it.

• Like 1

The episode hit all the right notes in handling the death of Mrs. Wolowitz, even Sheldon said the right thing, as he is the only other member of the gang to have lost a parent - and I loved the toast at the end, a nice way to pay tribute to the character and to Carol Ann Susi - the rest of the show was funny, particularly Sheldon telling Penny about the tests Amy was giving her, and I liked the continuing bickering between Howard and Stuart, but I liked how all the bickering led up to Howard's news about his Mom and the whole gang forgetting what they were arguing about and coming together to support him - the weak spot of the episode for me was the Nathan Fillion part, mostly because I am not really familiar with who he is as compare to other guest stars who have come on the show,  on the whole though it was a funny, sad, emotional episode that handled a difficult situation really well, and I love that the comic store is back - it looked beautiful, oh and all the 'let it go' talk made me think of Frozen :)

Edited by luke

Where in my post did I said Penny was a saint?

I never said you did. Your comment implied that Penny is a better friend than Amy and I'm just saying she's absolutely not.

when is simon going to get a award-great job.

nice flow with penny,sheldon, and h/b with stuart

opening the new store. second half became a little emotional

with the death of howard mother.

just like kerry i was at the taping saw what was coming,

than it was put on the small screen it had to give your

heart a little tug of emotion. great toast leonard.

R.I.P.- DEBBIE WOLOWITZ :cry:

• Like 3

Not as in love with this episode as most everyone else.

Thought that the Sheldon and Penny bits ran far too long using approximately five minutes of an about a nineteen minute episode (or thereabouts). FWIW, the Lenny had about 43 seconds together. 

Really liked: the Penny flashbacks and the guys photo for Facebook. Liked too Raj's dialogue/situation at the deli. Liked how the writers handled this bit with Raj initially sure that it was Nathan Fillion and then slowly unconvinced himself. Thought that was very cleverly done.

The tag scene was wonderful. Beautifully acted and very emotional. Thought Leonard nailed the toast. 

• Like 4

I loved this episode from start to finish. I think they handled Mrs. Wolowitz's death in a wonderful way. I knew when Carol Ann Suzi died that if they were going to write her off they would do it well. I also knew that Sheldon would be sensitive, call it a hunch. I realized he was the only one among the group to ever go through the loss of a parent so even if he can be extremely insensitive at times he would not be in that situation. I loved what they did with the comic book store. And the let it go storyline made me laugh. How could Penny and LEoanrd not know they were being experimented on? I think that was funny and so Shamy,

Overall a great episode.

I never said you did. Your comment implied that Penny is a better friend than Amy and I'm just saying she's absolutey not

I never did say Penny was a better friend than Amy I said why are Penny and Amy even friends it just seems like Penny just tolerates Amy because of Sheldon and if someone treated me like I was an experiment I would be pissed so I was glad Penny stood up for herself.

• Like 1

Sheldon was in on the experiment to. I would say gleefully so. Are you calling for an end to their friendship?

Lighten up a little.

Edited by Chaliceinnana
  • Like 1

Sheldon was in on the experiment to. I would say gleefully so. Are you calling for an end to their friendship?

Lighten up a little.

Im saying why are they even friends in the first place

I never did say Penny was a better friend than Amy I said why are Penny and Amy even friends it just seems like Penny just tolerates Amy because of Sheldon and if someone treated me like I was an experiment I would be pissed so I was glad Penny stood up for herself.

Yeah, and Penny doesn't say derogatory things about Amy, both behind her back and to her face.

Penny actually does like Amy and has said so.  One could ask that question about all of the characters at some point.  Why are LEonard and Sheldon still friends, or Howard and Raj, or whatever combination you want.

I think you just don't like Amy and you don't seem to miss any opportunity to say something negative about her.  Poor Penny, had to take a banana out of a box.  Gee, that's criminal.

She and Leonard griped about it, but in the end it was totally harmless.  It's not like anyone was poking them with pointy sticks or sticking electrodes in their brains without their consent.

• Like 1

Yeah, and Penny doesn't say derogatory things about Amy, both behind her back and to her face.

Penny actually does like Amy and has said so.  One could ask that question about all of the characters at some point.  Why are LEonard and Sheldon still friends, or Howard and Raj, or whatever combination you want.

I think you just don't like Amy and you don't seem to miss any opportunity to say something negative about her.  Poor Penny, had to take a banana out of a box.  Gee, that's criminal.

She and Leonard griped about it, but in the end it was totally harmless.  It's not like anyone was poking them with pointy sticks or sticking electrodes in their brains without their consent.

I do like Amy at times but I will not just blindly support every decsion she makes I was giving my opinion about Amy I just didn't like what she did to Penny 

• Like 2

I think the point is why on earth would A and S conduct experiments on P. It's a weird thing to do to a 'friend'