The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

815 The Comic Book Store Regeneration (February 19)

Your Episode Rating  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

...snip

Thought that the Sheldon and Penny bits ran far too long using approximately five minutes of an about a nineteen minute episode (or thereabouts). FWIW, the Lenny had about 43 seconds together. 

Really liked: the Penny flashbacks and the guys photo for Facebook. Liked too Raj's dialogue/situation at the deli. Liked how the writers handled this bit with Raj initially sure that it was Nathan Fillion and then slowly unconvinced himself. Thought that was very cleverly done.

The tag scene was wonderful. Beautifully acted and very emotional. Thought Leonard nailed the toast.

I just wanted to add that the brief conversation between Leonard and Penny in comic book store about the puzzle box was a minor delight. Penny wins all games. But surely they can do more with them.

• Like 3

I think the point is why on earth would A and S conduct experiments on P. It's a weird thing to do to a 'friend'

Again, they were harmless puzzles, not brain dissections.  And using Penny--and Leonard--probably had to do with proximity and percieved intellect.  Amy said she does the same thing with grad students, so she probably wanted to simply widen her field of subjects without explaining what the puzzles were for.  And you have to admit, the puzzles were pretty silly.

And actually, the point of it all was that everyone was caught up in arguments over essentially nothing--the puzzles, Kripke, the furniture--until something more important happened--the death of Mrs. W.

• Like 2

After a bit of a shaky start the episodes of Season 8 are getting very much better.

I cannot take to Penny's (Kaley's) new hair style though.....I think it makes her look quite old.

Edited by The Lash

Damn Phanta you must really love me or you cant take any criticism when it comes to the Amy character.

Oh, I've criticized Amy on some occasions, over things that were legitimate, but not over things that are blown out of proportion.  She wasn't being a bad friend or betraying Penny in any way.

And the show was obviously playing the whole situation for laughs.  If it was meant to be a serious breach they would have made that clear.

And no, I don't really love you.  I think your opinions are colored and skewed, that's all--full of sophistry.

Oh, I've criticized Amy on some occasions, over things that were legitimate, but not over things that are blown out of proportion.  She wasn't being a bad friend or betraying Penny in any way.

And the show was obviously playing the whole situation for laughs.  If it was meant to be a serious breach they would have made that clear.

And no, I don't really love you.  I think your opinions are colored and skewed, that's all--full of sophistry.

That's your opinion if you think Amy did nothing but my OPINOIN is that she did its obvious were not going to agree on this bye :victory:

I may be in the wrong, but I think its totally in character for Amy and Sheldon to experiment on their cohort. They have a very strong connection and an ability to collude for their own benefit, and characterise other people as "other". Sheldon has bugger all empathy generally. "Itchy Brain.." stands an example. Diabolical was the word Amy used. But it is funny. I laughed that Leonard was stumped and went banana-less. As long as they dont set public policy its probs ok.

• Like 5

Everyone's opinions are coloured and skewed. That's what makes them opinions. If they weren't, they'd be facts. .....and facts have no place on Internet forums!

I may be in the wrong, but I think its totally in character for Amy and Sheldon to experiment on their cohort. They have a very strong connection and an ability to collude for their own benefit, and characterise other people as "other". Sheldon has bugger all empathy generally. "Itchy Brain.." stands an example. Diabolical was the word Amy used. But it is funny. I laughed that Leonard was stumped and went banana-less. As long as they dont set public policy its probs ok.

Agreed. And we get way too precious about how our favourites get treated by our less than favourites. It's comedy. Not everyone laughs but Lenny will recover from the great injustice and move on to their next friendship moment with their besties well and truly unwounded.

• Like 4

Just got done watching this with my lady on DVR.  I liked how everybody's petty squabbles came to a halt THE MINUTE something far more real in life hit them. That's usually how death in life takes place.  Time suddenly comes to a stop, when the death of someone important to us happens.

Some people were disappointed they didn't reference Frozen with "Let It Go", but I'm actually happy they didn't.  That reference would've been too easy IMO.  Not to mention I've heard that song one too many times already, that I don't need references to go along with its exposure.

Simon Helberg handled the death scene magnificently, I thought.  I welled up a little after Bernadette's "Oh Howie."

Like that the character who some of us consider as the main lead even though it doesn't seem like it sometimes (Leonard Hofstadter) was the one that delivered the final and very moving toast to Ms. Wolowitz.  My GF and I picked up our beers and toasted along with the characters.  You could sense the emotions pouring out of the actors with some of them in those last 2 scenes.  Specifically Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco, Melissa Rauch, and Simon Helberg.

Also Carol Ann Susi's character Debbie Wolowitz got one of the biggest honors ever bestowed on a character in the entire series.  After her toast they didn't end it with a laugh.  They played it seriously, something that has never happened in this shows history.  Usually something serious like this would be ended with a joke to defuse the tension, and keep the comedic tone of the show (something I've never begrudged the show doing, since it's a comedy first and foremost).  But given the real life circumstances surrounding this death, I think even the purists who want the show to be as drama free as possible, wouldn't begrudge the show ending on a dramatic note here.  Especially given the laughs that came before it.

The only thing I thought that was missing was a tag at the end that the episode was dedicated to the memory of Carol Ann Susi.

Other than that, another good episode that handled a characters death very well I thought.

RIP Carol Ann Susi, we'll always remember that overbearing motherly voice of yours. ;)

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 7

I may be in the wrong, but I think its totally in character for Amy and Sheldon to experiment on their cohort. They have a very strong connection and an ability to collude for their own benefit

They experimented on their friends, in Herb Garden.

I really enjoyed the episode, and teared up at the ending. I didn't mind the earlier plot lines because they were, IMO, all to set up the ending: disagreements between friends, meeting a celebrity, even struggling to get back on your financial feet--all of it pales compared to the death of a loved one. I was glad Stuart got to say a bit as well as Howard about Mrs W, and Leonard's toast was outstanding. And Simon continues to be the most under-rated actor on the show, IMO.

I did have one teeny quibble (which again, is irrelevant compared to Carol Ann's death): the string art Howard did. It was described as both "from grade three" and "from a ten year old". Is this why Howard is "only" an engineer while most of his colleagues have PhDs? (Kids are 8, turning 9 in grade 3; my 10 year old is in grade 5). :)

• Like 3

I really enjoyed the episode, and teared up at the ending. I didn't mind the earlier plot lines because they were, IMO, all to set up the ending: disagreements between friends, meeting a celebrity, even struggling to get back on your financial feet--all of it pales compared to the death of a loved one. I was glad Stuart got to say a bit as well as Howard about Mrs W, and Leonard's toast was outstanding. And Simon continues to be the most under-rated actor on the show, IMO.

I did have one teeny quibble (which again, is irrelevant compared to Carol Ann's death): the string art Howard did. It was described as both "from grade three" and "from a ten year old". Is this why Howard is "only" an engineer while most of his colleagues have PhDs? (Kids are 8, turning 9 in grade 3; my 10 year old is in grade 5). :)

I think the correct comparison would have been:

Is this why Howard only has a masters while the others have Ph.Ds

or if it were by sheldon

Is this why Howard is "only" an engineer while most of his friends are physicists.

• Like 1

Obviously you wouldn't, after all your a Shamy.

Its just a few little things that did not cause any consequence to their lives, even one of my non shamy friends thought it was funny

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 1

Its just a few little things that did not cause any consequence to their lives, even one of my non shamy friends thought it was funny

I guess we see things differently and what friendship is all about.