Fanfiction Friday seems to have died on the vine.

Yes, it certainly appears that way. I think that's true of fanfiction in general right now. My newest story has about 1/3rd of the readership and only half of the average reviews per chapter. A few other authors that I have spoken with are experiencing the same thing. I think that everyone is on pins and needles waiting to see how the premiere shakes out. Hopefully it'll pick up with the new season. 

• Like 1

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm bringing this idea over from the Shamy Spoiler thread. We think it would be fun to have Fanfiction Friday's, where each week, we highlight our amazing, talented writers on this board or of the fan

We need the Shamy goodness to inspire some new fics.  My list is getting low..............

Absolutely. What story-line do you have in mind?

Posted Images

Not having Internet access for almost a whole month put me behind in the reading department... I got lots to catch up on!!!!!!!!!! Bring on the stories guys.... (before schools open and I gotta go back to work.... :p ) 

• 4 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents but I have found very few stories since 8.24 that I have read beyond the second chapter mainly because this was apparently the summer of angst. I was depressed enough with out willingly pileing on even more angst I even dropped one by my fav writer because I found it depressing.

And while I picked it back up and am enjoying it now I did not go back and read the parts I missed.

The only other 2 new stories I picked up are by a new writer and are not set in the current 8/9 season timeline.  

I've kind of gone on fanfic writing hiatus for the time being as I'm waiting for the season 9 storyline to unfold. I have ideas and will probably not be able to keep my fingers off the keyboard, but I do enjoy a good challenge and a fresh perspective and right now I feel I need to hold up for a while in order to reboot and find new inspiration. Maybe other writers are feeling the same atm... But ah, I do want to write. So, soooo badly.

Just my 2 cents but I have found very few stories since 8.24 that I have read beyond the second chapter mainly because this was apparently the summer of angst. I was depressed enough with out willingly pileing on even more angst I even dropped one by my fav writer because I found it depressing.

And while I picked it back up and am enjoying it now I did not go back and read the parts I missed.

The only other 2 new stories I picked up are by a new writer and are not set in the current 8/9 season timeline.  

I hear you.  I'm finding the break up stories a bit too depressing to read, and am looking forward to the storyline progressing, and being able to investigate different kinds of stories.  I really started enjoying AU for this reason.  Same characters, without all the drama and angst (except for what is within that story).  I think all my favourite stories right now are all AU.

• Like 2

I've kind of gone on fanfic writing hiatus for the time being as I'm waiting for the season 9 storyline to unfold.

Me too.

I've got a few stories, which are pretty much stalled.

I tried starting a new one (I sometimes do this, when I have writer's block), about them getting back together, but I'm even stalling on that one, at Chapter 1:( 

Forgive me if I ramble a bit here lol

I am a voracious reader and have read at least one story by each of our resident writers and I have to say I sometimes wonder how y'all keep at it some of the "guest" reviews alone wouls drive me to distraction. Not that the rest of us are a picnic either lol. 

The story i mentioned I droped  and picked back up is SRAMs latest I didn't like the premise but gave it a go because I generally enjoy his writing it was to angst filled for a while at the time but I THINK he was using it to work thru his feelings post 8.24 and if I had stayed away I would have.missed. a very engaging story. (Side rant: something is up with Amy she knows more than she has told so far What is it????? TELL ME!!!!!)  

One of my favs over the summer is by a new writer for 46 chapters I have followed his light and very enjoyable story...... Untill chapter 47 when it took a hard turn into datk territory with an act so morally repugnant that it placed two of his charectors beyond redemption and change the entire tone in a out of the blue twist worthy of 8.24. Chapter 48 came out today very quickly for this writer but I hesitate to read it afraid of what is to come.

I guess what I  saying is that you writers have my respect for what you do and put up with from us readers, we are no picnic. I think we need to cut the authors as much slack and as much patience as they often give us. 

• Like 2

OMG....totally agree about Amy.  She's been oddly supportive...angry at Sheldon but guilty perhaps for her own part in the mess?  I'm very curious on how their relationship is going to develop in SRAMs story.  Sheldon is being quite a jerk in this story, I wonder if he'll come around or will continue down this path.  I like when characters have good AND bad sides.  So I am hoping that Sheldon will show a positive side later in the story.  I haven't read the other story you are referring to, but of course I had to look up the one that has 48 chapters, so I know the one you are talking about.

I love reading everyone's stories, and their varied writing styles.  Some authors have certain types of stories just nailed.  I get so excited when they post!

• Like 2

The Sheldon character is much like Dumbledore in fan fiction he can be a kindly grandfather or a master manipulator because at different times in different books he was portrayed as both (I think Harry Potter is a perfect example of a premise  and setting so good it rises above its mediocre writer) and from SRAM he is more likely to get his comupance than redemption  but I am cool with that :icon_twisted:

Forgive me if I ramble a bit here lol

I am a voracious reader and have read at least one story by each of our resident writers and I have to say I sometimes wonder how y'all keep at it some of the "guest" reviews alone wouls drive me to distraction. Not that the rest of us are a picnic either lol. 

The story i mentioned I droped  and picked back up is SRAMs latest I didn't like the premise but gave it a go because I generally enjoy his writing it was to angst filled for a while at the time but I THINK he was using it to work thru his feelings post 8.24 and if I had stayed away I would have.missed. a very engaging story. (Side rant: something is up with Amy she knows more than she has told so far What is it????? TELL ME!!!!!)  

One of my favs over the summer is by a new writer for 46 chapters I have followed his light and very enjoyable story...... Untill chapter 47 when it took a hard turn into datk territory with an act so morally repugnant that it placed two of his charectors beyond redemption and change the entire tone in a out of the blue twist worthy of 8.24. Chapter 48 came out today very quickly for this writer but I hesitate to read it afraid of what is to come.

I guess what I  saying is that you writers have my respect for what you do and put up with from us readers, we are no picnic. I think we need to cut the authors as much slack and as much patience as they often give us. 

I know which Fanfic yr referring to from the chapter numbering and the descent into darkness in Ch 47. Like you I found that chapter pretty vile. Just to give you a heads up, Ch 48 moves away from morally repugnant and dials it down to the mere morally questionable and, well, dullness. Shame, cos I too was a enjoying it's unabashedly juvenile smutiness and general good humour. It's a Fanfic that demonstrates vividly the whole range of Fanfic qualities from very good to very bad. Sent from my ASUS_Z002 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'm also following SRAM's story with real anticipation. Sheldon's negative qualities are ratcheted up pretty high and Amy is a study in conflicted loyalties. All well written and with enough suspense to keep me coming back. Sent from my ASUS_Z002 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm also following SRAM's story with real anticipation. Sheldon's negative qualities are ratcheted up pretty high and Amy is a study in conflicted loyalties. All well written and with enough suspense to keep me coming back. Sent from my ASUS_Z002 using Tapatalk

I should have said in my earlier post give the characterzaton of Sheldon in this story to not expect redemption, it is a the darkest story I have read by him but I can't wait for the next update ( hint,hint) my fav by him are two of his short ones lab accident is a perfect example of Sheldon carried to one extreme but it works well and what happens in Vegas is just to good for words in fact it could have been a perfect script for 9.01

As for the other author try his second story, freed grom the constraints of the aired episode he can do more with his take on the charectors 

That being said if the events of chapter 47 areare swept under the rug and not dealt with, if the girls are allowed to walk away i will most likely tap out my enthusiasm will be gone I will give him a couple chapters but for me it MUST be dealt with

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

OMG....totally agree about Amy.  She's been oddly supportive...angry at Sheldon but guilty perhaps for her own part in the mess?  I'm very curious on how their relationship is going to develop in SRAMs story.  Sheldon is being quite a jerk in this story, I wonder if he'll come around or will continue down this path.  I like when characters have good AND bad sides.  So I am hoping that Sheldon will show a positive side later in the story.  I haven't read the other story you are referring to, but of course I had to look up the one that has 48 chapters, so I know the one you are talking about.

I love reading everyone's stories, and their varied writing styles.  Some authors have certain types of stories just nailed.  I get so excited when they post!

this begs the question what exactly IS her part in this mess?? I have ideas and cant wait to see if i am right. I kinda want a paternity test asap but that could end the story quickly so we probably won't get that answer for awhile

I am constantly amazed by where writers get thier inspiration, for example Tensor got an excellent 52 chapters from this 

tumblr_nj5ovbmxgE1t8c379o8_250.gif

Edited by JE7
  • Like 2

this begs the question what exactly IS her part in this mess?? I have ideas and cant wait to see if i am right. I kinda want a paternity test asap but that could end the story quickly so we probably won't get that answer for awhile

I am constantly by where writers get thier inspiration, for example Tensor got an excellent 52 chapters from this 

tumblr_nj5ovbmxgE1t8c379o8_250.gif

Amy's role is very puzzling in all of this, and I'm not convinced of Sheldon's paternity.  I'm interested to see where SRAM takes this for sure!  He wrote Amy and Sheldon very sweetly in his time travel story, but it's a question mark for this story!

I'm not sure how it works for other authors, but I could give you a glimpse of how I think when I write stories.  When I write, I don't have a clear picture of how I want the story to go in my head.  I have key ideas I want in the story.  I leave it very fluid and may change direction chapter by chapter.  lol this may not be normal, but it's kind of how I roll.  For my Kripke story (not sure if you read it...the following might not make sense if you hadn't), right from the very beginning I knew how I wanted Shamy to reunite in my head for the end of the story.  I wanted them trapped together and very angry at each other.  I built all the scenario's at the hotel and awards to lead up to that moment.  But the drinking games, the conversations, the jokes came to me as I was writing each scene.  I could hear the characters saying these things in my head.  

I really think my writing method is weird.  I often wonder what's going to happen in my own story!  Like I have no master game plan yet for my current Lenny story, but there are key scenes stuck in my head that I want in this story.  How it flows from there is still totally unknown. 

• Like 1

I don't as a rule read a lot of Shamy for various reason's but I will be reading yours now that I am aware of you and it.

I am so glad that we have this thread I make it a point not to ask authors in other threads about stories that would be not only inappropriate but rude although it can be hard sometimes especially rigjt after updates lol

I understand how you write and it sounds like how I thought it would work

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1

I don't as a rule read a lot of Shamy for various reason's but I will be reading yours now that I am aware of you and it.

I am so glad that we have this thread I make it a point not to ask authors in other threads about stories that would be not only inappropriate but rude although it can be hard sometimes especially rigjt after updates lol

I understand how you write and it sounds like how I thought it would work

Thanks!  I appreciate you checking my stories out!

This thread is interesting.  I especially liked at the very beginning of the thread when all the posters were saying what they kind fanfics they like, length, types of stories, what are their pet peeves and their likes.  I found that all very interesting.  Even more interesting, now that I've been on here longer, and have read many of the stories that the authors have wrote.

Maybe I could ask that question on here to the authors.  When you write a story, do you have the whole story in mind start to finish, or do you play it by ear as you are writing it?  I have key scenes and ideas I want in my story, otherwise I play it by ear chapter by chapter.  I know the general direction I want the story to go, but the storyline is very fluid in my stories.  Is it the same for you?

• Like 1

I know the general direction I want the story to go, but the storyline is very fluid in my stories.

Same here.

I know how and where I want it to go, and definitely how it will end, but the exact route isn't usually known to me.

That said, my one-shots are always worked out, in detail, before I begin. Not the exact words, but certainly the scenes and events.

When I wrote Behind Closed Doors, The Martha Effect and The Mutual Satisfaction Agreement, I had every detail (thought, obviously, not every word) worked out, before I typed word one.

With A Perfect Union and The Teabag Deficiency, when I began writing, I had the beginning and middle worked out, but wasn't quite sure how they would end.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

Maybe I could ask that question on here to the authors.  When you write a story, do you have the whole story in mind start to finish, or do you play it by ear as you are writing it?  I have key scenes and ideas I want in my story, otherwise I play it by ear chapter by chapter.  I know the general direction I want the story to go, but the storyline is very fluid in my stories.  Is it the same for you?

Our writing styles are very much the same, Nibbler. I'm a flow of thought writer. If I can see and hear the characters saying what I am typing (sometimes faster than I can get it down!) then I know I'm onto something. I've tried outlining my chapters and that just doesn't work for me. . I think that with any story, the author should at least know the main details (why did you start this story, or as Jim Parsons would say, "what are you bringing to the party?") I've had this discussion with a few authors outside of the forums and there is one story in particular that comes to mind. The author is incredibly talented and the story is absolutely amazing, but it was very slow moving and at a certain point feels like the author is purposely stalling because they don't want to end it. I always think of the quote, "this is how the wold ends, not with a bang but a whimper." By all means, tell the story you want to tell, but "always leave them wanting more." 

When I was writing 10 Dates, I had the ending in mind all along and had key scenes (like the talk at the cliff during the 4th of July and the big fight in Sheldon's bedroom) in mind. Still, I surprised myself with the direction some of the chapters went. I never thought I'd write an M rated story but I am most proud of the Masters and Johnson sexy time. One of my favorite authors raved about it. THAT was amazing! 

Homo Novus Introduction popped into my head one day and I had to get it down. I had no plans on writing that when I did. I now have a "random scenes" folder on my computer (21 pages worth of stuff I'm going to try to use in YOGM1). I'm finding that the more I write, the more these "random scenes and plot bunnies" pop into my head. If only I could find the time to write more.  

With You Only Get Married Once (Theoretically), I don't have a clue what I'm doing! (Despite having thought that I would write before publishing, real life got in the way and I am once again writing on the fly) I have one key scene (much much later in the story) that I wrote back in July that I will work in at some point but I'm taking it chapter by chapter. 

• Like 2

In general I start off with a particular idea and go with it, though sometimes a review will suggest something and I will pick it up and add it to the story

If I remember, "Amy's Eastern Evasion Escape'was a result of a discussion on one of the threads about Amy escaping for the summer and I wrote a multi chapter on that alone

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 1

If I remember, "Amy's Eastern Evasion Escape'was a result of a discussion on one of the threads about Amy escaping for the summer and I wrote a multi chapter on that alone

I've written (or, more precisely, am writing, as neither is finished yet), two fics, based on suggestions from the forum.

• Like 1

I don't imagine my writing process is much different from anyone else's but I'll have a go at explaining how I work and what goes on in my mind when I do.

I have a set of rules that I always follow when I write these characters: key elements if you will. These are principles I use to determine how Sheldon and Amy will speak/act/react in various situations. I always check this list before writing a new story, and after I've done that I outline key scenes and dialogue.

My next step is to work out the beginning and the end, and if I want the story to be dramatic/angsty/humorous etc. What do I want to accomplish with my story? Where do I want to take these characters? How are they feeling at the beginning and what will they feel at the end? Here I also try to decide if there will be any recurring themes/elements (in my story Treading Water I used Sheldon's inability to swim as a metaphore for his fear of intimacy) and what I wish to convey with those.  

After all of that I sit down and do research: for example in my latest story The Adolescence Repossession I had to work out the timeline. I rarely quote the show unless it's absolutely necessary (they still have to "sound" like themselves) but I try to follow Canon as closely as possible and I try not to forget any main events/recurring storylines and/or character traits. Sometimes I watch episodes to study their speech patterns/body language. This is also where I do research specific to the story I want to tell.

Finally it's time to write! As nitpicky as I am I try to leave room for improv and ideas that might come along as I write. I have been known to rewrite entire scenes because they didn't work out the way I imagined they would. When I write I usually try to do it when the idea is still fresh in mind and I still feel passionate about it.

But of course the most important thing (to me at least) is to enjoy myself and have fun! These characters are so quirky and unique and there is so much stuff to play around with - sometimes I simply go for the craziest idea that comes to mind! One reviewer called me a "nutcase" once (all in good fun) and perhaps that's true. I must be, since I love these two fictional people so much!! *laugh*  

• Like 4

I know which Fanfic yr referring to from the chapter numbering and the descent into darkness in Ch 47. Like you I found that chapter pretty vile. Just to give you a heads up, Ch 48 moves away from morally repugnant and dials it down to the mere morally questionable and, well, dullness. Shame, cos I too was a enjoying it's unabashedly juvenile smutiness and general good humour. It's a Fanfic that demonstrates vividly the whole range of Fanfic qualities from very good to very bad. Sent from my ASUS_Z002 using Tapatalk

"the unabashhedly juvenile smutiness and general good humor" is exactly why I like it so much and after that descent into darkness it will be hard to get that back the vibe/tone has changed it was like throwing a deep base note into the middle of a piccolo solo, it just doesn't fit. 

I am waiting on the next update before reading two chapters should show if he can recover

Edited by JE7
  • Like 1