The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrWackaDoodle

Fanfiction Friday

I don't imagine my writing process is much different from anyone else's but I'll have a go at explaining how I work and what goes on in my mind when I do.

I have a set of rules that I always follow when I write these characters: key elements if you will. These are principles I use to determine how Sheldon and Amy will speak/act/react in various situations. I always check this list before writing a new story, and after I've done that I outline key scenes and dialogue.

My next step is to work out the beginning and the end, and if I want the story to be dramatic/angsty/humorous etc. What do I want to accomplish with my story? Where do I want to take these characters? How are they feeling at the beginning and what will they feel at the end? Here I also try to decide if there will be any recurring themes/elements (in my story Treading Water I used Sheldon's inability to swim as a metaphore for his fear of intimacy) and what I wish to convey with those.  

After all of that I sit down and do research: for example in my latest story The Adolescence Repossession I had to work out the timeline. I rarely quote the show unless it's absolutely necessary (they still have to "sound" like themselves) but I try to follow Canon as closely as possible and I try not to forget any main events/recurring storylines and/or character traits. Sometimes I watch episodes to study their speech patterns/body language. This is also where I do research specific to the story I want to tell.

Finally it's time to write! As nitpicky as I am I try to leave room for improv and ideas that might come along as I write. I have been known to rewrite entire scenes because they didn't work out the way I imagined they would. When I write I usually try to do it when the idea is still fresh in mind and I still feel passionate about it.

But of course the most important thing (to me at least) is to enjoy myself and have fun! These characters are so quirky and unique and there is so much stuff to play around with - sometimes I simply go for the craziest idea that comes to mind! One reviewer called me a "nutcase" once (all in good fun) and perhaps that's true. I must be, since I love these two fictional people so much!! *laugh*  

Sounds so logical and thoughtful.  No wonder in "keeping Sheldon IC" you're one of the best out there ;)

Sounds so logical and thoughtful.  No wonder in "keeping Sheldon IC" you're one of the best out there ;)

Oh, I don't know about that.... *blushes furiously*... but that is such a sweet thing to say. I'm so happy that you feel that way about my writing. I have to admit I have a deep, intense love for Sheldon's character, and for the uniqueness  that is Shamy.

I know my writing process might come off as slightly restrictive and as if I'm not giving myself any room to let the story grow naturally, but for me it's absolutely necessary to organize my work this way. It actually gives me more creative freedom than I would have if I were winging it as there's literally nothing I won't put the characters through as long as they react to the situation in a way that's consistent with what we know about them. I'd like to think that writing Shamy in general and Sheldon in particular is like designing a dress for Cher: nothing is too over the top or too "out there" for these people - in this case less isn't more, *more* is more!

:-D   

I don't imagine my writing process is much different from anyone else's but I'll have a go at explaining how I work and what goes on in my mind when I do.

I have a set of rules that I always follow when I write these characters: key elements if you will. These are principles I use to determine how Sheldon and Amy will speak/act/react in various situations. I always check this list before writing a new story, and after I've done that I outline key scenes and dialogue.

My next step is to work out the beginning and the end, and if I want the story to be dramatic/angsty/humorous etc. What do I want to accomplish with my story? Where do I want to take these characters? How are they feeling at the beginning and what will they feel at the end? Here I also try to decide if there will be any recurring themes/elements (in my story Treading Water I used Sheldon's inability to swim as a metaphore for his fear of intimacy) and what I wish to convey with those.  

After all of that I sit down and do research: for example in my latest story The Adolescence Repossession I had to work out the timeline. I rarely quote the show unless it's absolutely necessary (they still have to "sound" like themselves) but I try to follow Canon as closely as possible and I try not to forget any main events/recurring storylines and/or character traits. Sometimes I watch episodes to study their speech patterns/body language. This is also where I do research specific to the story I want to tell.

Finally it's time to write! As nitpicky as I am I try to leave room for improv and ideas that might come along as I write. I have been known to rewrite entire scenes because they didn't work out the way I imagined they would. When I write I usually try to do it when the idea is still fresh in mind and I still feel passionate about it.

But of course the most important thing (to me at least) is to enjoy myself and have fun! These characters are so quirky and unique and there is so much stuff to play around with - sometimes I simply go for the craziest idea that comes to mind! One reviewer called me a "nutcase" once (all in good fun) and perhaps that's true. I must be, since I love these two fictional people so much!! *laugh*  

that was really interesting!  Thanks for sharing.  You write the characters beautifully so I think your method definitely works well for you.  I think you and QB Maja write Sheldon the best.

Thank you all. Unfortunately I don't feel so good about my writing atm.

I posted this silly little fluffy fic yesterday (not my regular stuff but sometimes I just wanna do stuff for fun too you know?) and apparently people are seriously pissed off with this premiere because they felt my review field was an excellent place to spew out their hatred for it/thecharacters/the actors/my personal self. Wow.... That never happened to me before. I feel a little gutted to be honest. (I posted this is my own thread too). But Jesus. I had to delete almost ALL reviews! =(

I posted this silly little fluffy fic yesterday (not my regular stuff but sometimes I just wanna do stuff for fun too you know?) and apparently people are seriously pissed off with this premiere because they felt my review field was an excellent place to spew out their hatred for it/thecharacters/the actors/my personal self. Wow.... That never happened to me before. I feel a little gutted to be honest. (I posted this is my own thread too). But Jesus. I had to delete almost ALL reviews! =(

I'm sorry you had this unfortunate experience.  I know it must feel disheartening.  But please don't take it as a reflection on your story at all, I think you were the random unlucky winner of where internet trolls decided to write all their vile messages.  They are always anonymous, because they are too cowardly to write stuff like that and put their own name to it.

I thought your story was really great, and I liked that you did something a little different there.  Don't let the trolls get you down.  I got them a bit on my first story, they'd post some horribly offensive stuff that I can't even mention.  It kind of takes you for a loop.  Thank goodness for the delete button!  Take Care!

• Like 1

I have a story--or kind of two stories--that I was exploring and working out over the spring and summer.  One was a fairly steamy kind of "heavy petting" experimental scenario for Sheldon and Amy, but I got kind of stalled as I was trying to decide how far to take them without going all the way and what would be in character and where I wanted to go overall.

So, then the finale came along and people were talking about how they might reconcile, etc., and I thought of a little quiet reconciliation scenario that might blend into the other story.

But then real life has gotten in the way as I have set almost everything aside while I go to every doctor in town and at the same time work on packing up my apartment and gear up for my move.

The story is stalled and I'm still working on packing.  My sister comes out on Wednesday and the movers come on the 3rd and I'm still not packed (still have to clean, etc.)

In the mean time, the Shamy saga is continuing and I feel like my story idea will be completely obsolete by the time I have time to even give it a thought. :(

I'm a slow writer to begin with, and I've had my first unfinished version of the story looked at by my beta, but I haven't been able to do any work on it for weeks.

In the mean time, the Shamy saga is continuing and I feel like my story idea will be completely obsolete by the time I have time to even give it a thought. :( 

Just write it as an AU story.

I've done a few AUs, and they can be fun.

Just write it as an AU story.

I've done a few AUs, and they can be fun.

Well, it kind of happened with my Train story and I just felt like I missed the boat.  I got some nice reviews, but I wasn't able to strike while the iron was hot. 

That's not necessarily what I'm going for, but it's kind of like the idea is old news by the time I get it out there.  I'm a very slow writer and this year has been very complicated, so it's even worse.

I want to finish it because I think there's some merit there, but I don't know how it will fit in by the time it's done.  Shamy will probably already be reconciled. :)

set your guest reviews to filter and you can choose to accept or not, I had to do that for one of my stories

Hey guys! I'm sneaking out of my introverted lurker mode to try and jump start this thread. I too have been in a writing slump, but mine started in February, so I can't blame the season finale for it.

I was catching up on this thread and it just made me feel better to see different FF writers discussing the craft. It makes me want to get back on the whores...um I mean horse. So even though it's not Friday I'm going to ask you folks a question to get this party restarted.

I haven't read much recent FF, so my picks are older. The question is what are the stories that you keep rereading? There are plenty of stories out there, but is there a certain story that you have bookmarked to pop open instantly, or even just a certain chapter in a story that you keep near and dear? Here are three of mine that I have read at least five times..

The Seventy-Three, Or From Genius to Sex Genius: A Master Class by BazingaPunk01

A sweet and quirky story about Amy and Sheldon figuring out the ups and downs of coitus.

www.fanfiction.net/s/9632248/1/The-Seventy-Three-or-From-Genius-to-Sex-Genius-A-Master-Class

The Atraction Fluctuation by Angelic Guardian

Amy has just started dating an English teacher when she runs into a rude guy at the movies who wants her to move because she is in his spot in the theater. I go back to this story mainly for the part where a tipsy Amy tells him the blue of his shirt brings out his eyes and Sheldon is totally confused by this. Also the tea scene.

www.fanfiction.net/s/9557433/1/The-Attraction-Fluctuation

Schrodinger's Coitus by Hazelra7

Yeah it's angsty. But a sassy AFF, a game with a stripping element, awkward sex and Hazelra's trademark banter make this story alive and well when you open the box.

www.fanfiction.net/s/10701005/1/Schrödinger-s-Coitus

• Like 2

Woo hoo for two new (to me!) stories! 

I keep going back to: 

Misophonia's The Family Reunion Probability Theorem.https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8907927/1/The-Family-Reunion-Probability-Theorem 

Treading Water by Yiva Borealis https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10929454/1/Treading-Water 

As well as anything by Hazelra, Nibbler, BeckySeyedoc, Shamour, and DarcyFitz. I can't pick just one of their stories to recommend. 

• Like 1

I personally love this thread, keep posting! I love finding new authors and stories.

• Like 1

ICSD by Hezalra7: I love this story, although I do still feel sick, at the suggestion that Amy should "take one for the team". speechless-smiley-040.gif  

The vehicle delocalization endeavor by shamour: The couch masturbation scene, and the kitchen counter sex scene, are awesome. :cool: 

If someone tagged it inappropriately on accident that is one thing. I have been fooled by Amy being in the description of a story only to have Sheldon break up with her and shack up with Penny. Then I stop reading immediately and rinse my eyes. If they purposely made it to attract Shamys and then pull the rug out from under them, that is despicable. I label my fan fiction appropriately. I don't try to trick anyone.

• Like 1

I label my fan fiction appropriately. I don't try to trick anyone.

Same here.

I did once post a warning, that one of my stories had a sad ending, but most of the people who reviewed didn't agree, but I genuinely thought it was sad, and didn't post the warning to trick people.

As for tagging the stories, I always do that accurately. If my story has a lot of Shamy in it (which it always does. :) ), I'll tag it [Sheldon C., Amy Farrah Fowler].

Sorry I was trying to like your banana pic!  Too funny.

I wonder who is posting tomorrow? I'm in the mood for a good story....

• Like 2

Calling all Shamy authors. The break up story line is draining the life blood out of our fandom faster than Dracula at a blood bank! Nibbler and I have decided to throw down the gauntlet and issue a challenge! 

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to write a fluffy, happy, Shamy in love story. 

The rules are as follows: 

1) NO mention of the break up 

2) No fighting/drama between any of the characters

3) MINIMUM of 3K- MAXIMUM of 10K words

4) All ratings allowed 

Post the link to the story in this thread! 

• Like 6

Calling all Shamy authors. The break up story line is draining the life blood out of our fandom faster than Dracula at a blood bank! Nibbler and I have decided to throw down the gauntlet and issue a challenge! 

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to write a fluffy, happy, Shamy in love story. 

4) All ratings allowed 

I want to do this! 

• Like 1

4) All ratings allowed 

Can I use my current story (The Best Laid Plans?).  but I'm breaking a few of the rules already. 

#1.  They mentioned the break up but glossed over it in 2 sentences.  Forgivable right?

#3.  Oh this is going to be way longer than 10 K, as it's multi chapter. 

Is that ok?

If so then:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11568737/1/The-Best-Laid-Plans

• Like 1

4) All ratings allowed 

Can't I just continue with the one I'm already writing since I'm in happy Shamyland now?

• Like 1

4) All ratings allowed 

Gauntlet picked up my friend! I do love me a good ol' writing challenge. 

So for my contribution this Friday, I want to post a link to the Halloween challenges written last year for the forum. So if you want a little spookiness with your Shamy, give them a try. They are lumped together with the other challenges so they are towards the end. The M rated won't show up unless you choose all ratings or M specifically. 

https://www.fanfiction.net/community/The-Big-Bang-Theory-Forums-fan-fic-challenges/117154/

• Like 3

4) All ratings allowed 

What would be your deadline? I'm in the midst of another story, and while I want to finish it, an idea popped into my head as soon as I read this. Just like my mother's lemon meringue ... total fluffy goodness. :danced:

• Like 2

Hmm...I could be Dr. Horrible and say no to the question about just using your current stories, but since I'm reading all of them, and want updates soon, I probably better not go that route. Current stories count. 

Thanks for the link to the Halloween challenge @madamocho

@Beckyseyedoc 1 month from today for a deadline. (completed by November 23rd) 

• Like 1