The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrWackaDoodle

Fanfiction Friday

What kind of stories do you like to read?

shamy fanfics in romance, humor, drama.

Do you randomly go looking for a story, or do you wait for recommendations on the boards?

I prefer to start reading stories recommended. It happens to me to start reading a story according to the summary if I'm interested. And when I like a story, I read all the stories of the same author.

Do you like one shots, novel length stories or in between?

I prefer stories with several chapters, but I like one shots too.

How do you judge a good story from a 'bad" one?

I will not say "good" or "bad", because to write a story is already great and it's very difficult. I respect the fanfictions writers job. If we talk about preference, I prefer fanfics "in character", coherent, and at the 3rd person, I don't really like at first person.

What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to fanfiction?

- When the stories are not updated quickly, especially when I hang well.

But I don't really blame the authors, I know it is not easy for them to quickly update their stories, they have their lives, writing fanfic it's somehow a hobby and I understand they must have time, it is already great that they offer us their story. But as a reader it is frustrating sometimes.

- when the story is just description or insignificant dialogues and nothing really happens in few chapters.

- when the characters are very out of characters. BUT sometimes it's a logical evolution, built in the previous chapters and here, it's great.

Again, no offense, I understand it is really difficult to write a story and to keep the personality of fictional characters created. I just give my point of view as a reader. And I am very grateful that the authors bring me these fantasies with our favorite characters.

What have you read recently?

-  Treading Water - YlvaBorealis

- Concession - MindOutOfMine,

- All the stories of the valentine's challenge (authors kimbee73, madamocho, karyshamy, QBMaja, Boys3allC)

- The Parental Evolution - Bella Duveen79

- The Big Reversal Theory or vixen in 4B - Hazelra7

- Intimacy Accelerant - Hazelra7

- Adjusted Time  - SRAM ,

- The Lone star mourning Precedence - Boys3allC

- The Cooper Neglect Theory - madamocho

- The Exhalation Combustion Investigation - April in Paris

- In the end - greenchopstix, 

• Like 1

I think I've only ever been interested in Shamy stories because I'm a Sheldonist, but I also don't like stories that turn Sheldon into Mr. Love Muscle who suddenly jumps Amy's bones or gets all "I gotta have it" sexed up.  To me, that's just waaay out of character, especially now.

Do you randomly go looking for a story, or do you wait for recommendations on the boards?

I will mostly sample stuff that gets linked here, or maybe mentioned.  I don't usually have time or the inclination to go searching.

I generally prefer one-shots, though I don't know that many people truly write them.  I have only rarely found a longer fic where I really wanted to read chapter after chapter.

I like stories with a beginning, middle, and end.  Especially the end.

A lot of longer fics feel to me like I'm reading someone's diary or waiting for a TV episode to come out.  Although I do admit I read one some time ago that I continued reading because it was like a trainwreck I couldn't turn away from.  Bad OOC writing, but I amused myself.

I can forgive the occasional grammar/spelling mistake, though those little things can bump me out of the story for a moment (where suddenly I'm thinking about the writer and not about the characters.)  But if it's an ongoing issue--like where the writer is writing in present tense (which I don't really like to begin with--sounds too much like people sitting around the campfire telling stories rather than "real" writing) and then changes tense for a few lines, then goes back, etc., or where they jumble paragraphs together so you can't tell who is speaking, or who is doing what.

I know that we're all amateurs here, but a little homework goes a long way.  I know people get tired of my talking about beta readers, but I'm tellin' ya, a good beta can catch that kind of nonsense before you put it out there like dirty underwear.

A good story is IC and captures the voices of the characters.  If I can "hear" the dialog, and even see the physical movements being described as something that I could see and hear on the show, then that's very good.  Also, a good story, for me, stays within the show's "universe" and doesn't get too outlandish or AU.

There's something good about putting the characters in an unusual setting--sending them off to a seminar or sending Sheldon and Amy to Texas to interact with his family, etc.--that can serve to help define the characters even more, allow them some growth, set up some interesting situations, just get them out of CalTech and their apartments.  However, the more unlikely the setting, the harder the writer has to work, IMO, to keep the characters IC.

Artificial drama/angst, two seconds of set-up just in order to get Shamy into bed.  I'm all for a little PWP (Plot? What Plot?), as we've called it in the TXF fandom, but since Sheldon and Amy aren't really sexualized all that much on the show, I always feel like having them go straight to having sex, just because that's what everybody wants to see, just feels a little same-old, same-old to me.

I know that's what's popular and lots of people want smut, but I've stopped reading lots of stories because once they get to that part, suddenly Sheldon and Amy are different people.

I don't know how the show will write them once they get them to that point, and maybe Sheldon will turn into a love machine, wanting to rip Amy's clothes off, or whatever, the minute they're alone.  But until then, I think I'll have a hard time reconciling Sexpot!Sheldon and Sexpot!Amy with the naive characters we know from the show.

Otherwise, it's OOC dialog, bad, sloppy writing, pointless meandering (though I'm sure some will say I'm guilty of some of these things, myself.)

And since the show is a comedy, I think that heart-ripping angst doesn't really fit all that well with how we know the characters.  I think that it's fine to put some stronger emotions in there, because we want to see that other part of them, and it's interesting to explore.  I just don't want to see things like an argument or fight that blows up just so there can be drama, especially if it's OOC to being with (like, why two characters would fight in the first place.)

I don't know that I've made it through anything recently, though I've sampled a few stories here and there.  I don't have a lot of time for reading, and while I'm working on a story, like I am now, I try not to read much because I don't want to be influenced.

I'm sure I'm missing out on some good stories, but I just haven't felt compelled yet.

Edited by phantagrae

There are so many fanfics that I have read which are great, but I just cannot remember them all right now, argh!

I'm searching for a good Lenny fanfic. I haven't read one and would like to start.

I haven't read a lot of Lenny fan fics, but I have read "The Departure Transformation" by I.Am.Molly.  It's a Shamy and Lenny story which I enjoyed very much.  Based on this story, I would say the rest of her work is probably equally good, and it's usually Lenny-centric.

On another note, thank you to those of you have expressed enjoyment of "Love Is In The Proof."  It totally makes the effort worth it :-)!

Thanks, I will definitely check out I.Am.Molly. :shy:

I avoided ff fir a long time after first hearing about it in 2012 but If I remember correctly, the first multi chapter story I read was "family reunion" and it was almost completed and that was the start of my ff obsession!

Oh, the engaging driver is awesome as well

Here's a fun question:  What is TOO long for a fan fic?

It depends. If it's one I love, too long only comes into play when the story starts dragging. If it's something I really dislike, half a page could be too long. I would say anything over 150,000 words may be too long (and this from someone who has one of theirs at 176k). For reference The Fellowship of the Ring is at 187k, the full Lord of the Rings is at 475k.

Do you go by word count or chapters?

Word count. There are the same number of words in ten 10,000 word chapters as there is in fifty 2,000 word chapters.

Do you look at a long story and oh hell no, I have a life!  Or do you say, Oh hell yeah, I got my Saturday lined up?

We may have differing opinions of what is long. :) For me, length isn't all that important, it's the hook. I usually give a long story 10 chapters, if it hasn't got me by then, it probably won't.

• Like 1

Ditto about finding author's through reviews.  I have been clicking on peoples name who review my stories.  I found a great little story about Megamind, which I LOVE!! It would have NEVER found it if the author didn't leave a review.   Reviews are payment, in a manner of speaking.  They are an author's life blood.

Do you look at a long story and oh hell no, I have a life!  Or do you say, Oh hell yeah, I got my Saturday lined up?

To me the length doesn't matter if it's well-written and seems to have a point it's moving toward.

I might be kind of put off at first if I see that there are more than, say, about 20 chapters, but it kind of depends on the length of the chapters and the writing and the hook of the first chapter.

But I never look to see how many words there are.  If you're telling the story well, the number of words don't matter.  There will be as many as are needed, no more, no less.  (Anyone ever see Amadeus?)

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 1

Ditto about finding author's through reviews.  I have been clicking on peoples name who review my stories.  I found a great little story about Megamind, which I LOVE!! It would have NEVER found it if the author didn't leave a review.   Reviews are payment, in a manner of speaking.  They are an author's life blood.

I look at chapters. I have an hour and a half that's mine each day, that's it, and I don't leave chapters half read. I have no time at all at the weekend, so anything above 15 chapters is going to make me twitch. I read one story at a time and if there's too long a break I forget what's happening (all the Shamy fics merge into a sludgey goop in my brain, including my own)!

• Like 1

I'm much too busy with work (BOO real life and grown up responsibilities!!) But I'm throwing down the gauntlet and challenging our many talented writers to pen an Amelia and Cooper story. I've yet to see the episode but from the TR it sounds awesome.

• Like 1

Hi guys!

What a great topic this one! I've been too busy lately, but I'm still trying to read fanfics and to check here the forum (especially yesterday, wow, what was that episode!)

I'll be traveling for a few weeks, so I'll probably be away from here for a while.

Back to the questions:

I think I like all kinds. I'm just not into stories with lots of violence, unless there's a purpose for it, for example, there's a great one that I can't remember the name now in which Amy is kidnapped and almost raped and Sheldon takes care of her. (It's an unfinished one, I hope the author continues that someday.)

For a long time I searched just for Shamy stories. I also took recommendations from the forum, especially the "hits", like the ones from Misophonia. Now that I read tons of fics, I go for the latest updates that pop up at the ff.net.

All of them, but I tend to prefer longer stories. Sometimes I think that the oneshots should continue. Not always, but some have great potential for a cool story. I guess I'm a soap opera kind of girl, who likes to guess what happens next and hope anxiously for the next chapter. It's so sad when it ends! lol

I don't know what you mean from 'bad'. I guess the ones that I feel displeased when I read are the ones that makes no sense at all for the show. 

I really don't like those in which Sheldon reacts like a violent person, or when he doesn't care at all about people. He's not like that, deep down he's just too proud to admit his feelings, but he's getting a lot better lately... I also find it funny the 'conspiracy' ones, when suddenly Sheldon is a secret agent, and nothing is what it seems. That's too out of character for me and I prefer the ones that fill in the blanks between chapters, giving us the "off-screen" Shamy love.  

Well, essentially all stories published lately I've read. I'm not much into Lenny stories, not that I dislike them, it's just that I think I'm still in love so much with Shamy that the other couples don't feel so appalling to me, especially when it comes to smut. The ones that I enjoy the updates mostly are the ones from April in Paris (the book club), the Valentine's Day challenge updates, and the Vixen in 4B by Hazelra. The Chaos Cognizance is also amazing, I'm greatly enjoying it.  I'm still trying to get over the fact that Treading Water ended. 

I also enjoy the ones from notjaneausten, that one is a true writing machine!

Edited by karyshamy
  • Like 2

Okay so to answer the questions:

1) What kind of stories do I like to read?

I like all kinds. I tend to go towards Shamy but I have read some really good Lenny fics.

I have been known to take a look at a Shenny or other pairing but not consistently.

2) Do you randomly go looking for a story or do you wait for recommendations?

I have a few favorite authors that I follow and I definitely will read them. I do like to pick and choose based on a title and summary. I am okay with any ship.

3) Do you like one shots, novel length stories or in between.

I like them all. It doesn't matter the length if it engages me.

4) How do I judge a good story from a bad one?

I look at other stories they have written. If they are consistently not what I am looking for than I avoid that author. I try not to worry about grammar mistakes as we are all humans but sometimes it is hard. I also tend to dislike a story if it tends to lie about things that have actually happened in the show. I read one once that said when Penny kissed Sheldon during the wrestling on Re-Entry that she actually kissed his lips and she slipped tongue in on him. Blatant lying will not get me to read your stories.

5) What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to fanfiction?

Lying like I said in #4 but also character bashing. Like I said, I read all ships, if you are a good writer I like to read it. But if you bash on a character to get your point across I will stop reading. There is no reason if you are a Shenny shipper to bash on Leonard and Amy. Or if you like Shamy to bash on Penny and Leonard. Yes I can see getting angry at them and having them have disagreements but there is no need for name calling or having the others treat them like crap.

6) What have you read recently?

I have so many stories I am following it would take a week to list them all.

I am a Shamy shipper so I tend to read a lot of those.

Some of my favorites include: Unconventional Romance Paradigm by hazelra7, Intimacy Collaboration also by hazelra7 and pretty much anything by notjaneausten. She is a writing machine. She has several unfinished which I hope she continues soon.

There are so many good writers again it would take a while to list them all.  

I have read all the Valentine's Challenges this year as well as the Christmas and Halloween ones.

If you are looking for a good Lenny fic...I recommend The Perfect Guy by AStrawberryPopTart.

I won't recommend a writer for Shenny as I may get my head cut off by some but there are some good ones out there.

• Like 1

I won't recommend a writer for Shenny as I may get my head cut off by some but there are some good ones out there.

I'm not sure how everyone else will feel, but I'd really like this to be a safe zone for all ships, including Shenny. I'm sure there are some well written stories out there and it's a shame that you feel that you can't mention them. I realize that just because I started the thread by no means makes me queen. I'm not setting out to be. All I'm saying is that not every thread has to have drama and trolling. If the pairing of the story isn't your cup of tea, move along.

Here's a fun question: What is TOO long for a fan fic?

It's difficult for me to quantify that. I've read Castle fanfiction that is 100 chapters. I'm also working my way through the Game of Thrones books (which average 1,000 pages each!) If it's well written and the story is moving along at a decent pace, then length doesn't matter.

I count by chapters.

Do you look at a long story and oh hell no, I have a life! Or do you say, Oh hell yeah, I got my Saturday lined up?

Definitely "oh hell yeah I have my Saturday lined up!" I work in the legal field where I read very technical. Monotonous case opinions 50 hours per week. I love it, but sometimes it's nice to turn that part of my brain off and read something that I find entertaining.

Edited by gohawks12
  • Like 3

1. What kind of story do you like to read?  Shamy primarily.  I have been reading all the Valentine's ones which feature everyone, but mainly I'm a Shamy lover.  I do enjoy Angst.  In fact some of my favorite stories that I continue to read & re-read have an angst plot.  I also am a sucker for M!!!

2. Do you go randomly looking for a story, or do you wait for recommendations?  I rarely go by recommendations.  I go into fanfic daily and read just about anything updated that peeks my interest, or has an updated story. 

3.Do you like one-shots, novels or middle length? I will give them all a try. 

4. How do you judge a good story from a bad story? Hands down, the characters have to be IC for me.  That's the biggest judge.  Also, whether its a one shot or a novel, it has to flow easily.  I don't like choppy stuff.

5. What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to fanfiction? IC is a MUST.  I personally don't care for AU, and I really cannot stand when people write Sheldon saying or doing things that are so far fetch.  Like for instance, the excessive use of a Texas twang...or him using profanity in the heat of the moment.  Or the flip side of them just having babies upon babies or him turning into this extremely romantic guy.  I find all of this stuff extremely not believable. 

And not updating often!!  Like, I give up on a story if it hasn't been updated in like more than 3 weeks.  Drives me nuts.

6. What have you read recently?  I really do read all the Shamy fanfics.  Probably right now, I enjoy the Book Club one, Loved Treading Waters (which just ended), I love QB's story of them in the woods.  I'm bad at remembering titles.

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 4

I'm working too... or pretending to be ;). I was just thinking that I need to check some of your stories Hazelra. I enjoyed the Schrodinger Coitus awhile back. I need some new Shamy fan-fics!

• Like 1

What kind of stories do you like to read? Shamy. Mostly dramatic ones, simply because it's hard for me to find interesting and engaging comedy fanfic, with a lot of action. But those who made it, and I laughed out loud, embarrassing myself somewhere in public (which happened more time than is healthy), my compliments,  comedy is hard.  The Unconventional Romance Paradigm or Paroxysmal Paradox are great examples. I'm reading fanfics mostly to see my favorite characters in situations I probably will not have chance to in show, so any kind of AU, crazy twist, really anything is welcome for me. But still rule for me is - feel free to set them on another planet, I would read that, but I need to see characters acting the way they would according to their characteristics from show. IC is base for me. 

Do you randomly go looking for a story, or do you wait for recommendations on the boards? I will look up favorites of my favorite writers and find interesting choices. 

Do you like one shots, novel length stories or in between? I like deeper development so longer, but I read a few of great one shots as well. 

How do you judge a good story from a 'bad" one? Good story for me is  combination of interesting plot and writing IC. I can imagine how hard it is in Sheldon's case, the more I appreciate writers which give Sheldon needed time to develop him and not taking all of his difficulties easily, for sake to move their relationship faster forward. Also I prefer stories which stick to classical writing style - introduction - essay itself - conclusion, I like when I know right away problem which story will be revolving around and where  story is heading. I wouldn't label any story as "bad," there were just stories which didn't have enough interesting plot for me, or felt too OOC.  

What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to fanfiction? Unfinished stories. Then time to time I have a problem with Penny's portray, sometimes she feels too sweet to me, sometimes too "bitchy," but it will be probably me, I myself have problem with really knowing her character. And bashing characters is the worst really. If I can feel hate of writer for some character projecting in story, I know I have to sign off...

What have you read recently? The Transboundary Peregrination, The Mendacity Revelation, The Jealousy Extension, Treading Water, The Chew Toy Revelations (my first and it seems not last attempt in Lenny).

Edited by tallin
  • Like 4

I am fairly new to the forum and discovered fanfiction through here.  Now, I am addicted.  My strategy for finding good stories is to see what stories the writers I like are following.   I read mostly  Shamy stories.  The first story that really blew my mind was The Parentage Realisation.  Shamy Book club is just ingenious and great writing. My other favorite is The Mendacity Revelation I love that the writer of this story created an entire family for Amy, which we have not seen on the show.  Treading Waters was really good.   I know a lot people on the forum like Concession; I started to read it but I could finish that one.   

• Like 1

Working for me as well. Try resetting your router.

So I just read Sheldon and Amy's first time in the story, intimacy collaboration, (Hoo!btw) and no lie, my spotify playlist started playing "Sex and Candy" by Maroon 5 (a cover Marcy Playground) . Does anybody know of any stories (any ship) that incorporate that song?

Edited by gohawks12
  • Like 1

I'd never heard that Jason Mraz (darn autocorrect) song. It's lovely. "In my Veins" by Andrew Belle is another great song. Fans of Castle will recognize it from the end of Always. I love the idea of a music thread!

Edited by gohawks12
  • Like 1

I'd never heard that Jason Mraz (darn autocorrect) song. It's lovely. "In my Veins" by Andrew Belle is another great song. Fans of Castle will recognize it from the end of Always. I love the idea of a music thread!

There is already a Shamy Soundtrack thread in the S8 folder.

Is fan fiction site down for you if you go to your account. I can read stories, but when I go to my account, like to post a chapter or check my PM's, It give me the error. 

I have the same problem. I always get "error 503 service unavailable" when I want to go to my account.

Is yours working again? Does that happen often? It's the first time I haven't been able to log in...

• Like 1

FF.net seems to have "glitches" fairly frequently. I know it's frustrating (I've experienced it myself when trying to post), but sometimes all you can do is keep checking and wait. I'm guessing the server is getting overloaded.

• Like 1

OK just went to my fan fiction bookmark on my phone and I've been logged out and when I go to log back in, I get the sane message Hazel gets, can still see stories though