SheldonIsAJerk

Sheldon Is A Jerk

72 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have not read all the answers, because my English is not good enough to do this in a acceptable time. So my answer might be a repetition.

Why do I like Sheldon?

First (and most important) of a all: I just do it. And that feeling comes from my heart. (When I have a feeling, I know it!).

Whether I’m able to explain it or not, the fact, that I have this feeling, is the proof for the fact, that there is obviously something about Sheldon, that weighs more for me than him acting like a jerk.

It’s a very interesting question, what that might be, and thank you for asking!

When I think about it, then I come to the conclusion, that it has something to do with me regarding him as a child in many aspects of his live. His emotional development is similar to that of a 4 year old. Not only when not getting that he hurts other people with saying what he thinks without a filter, but also with his complete and dependend love to for example Leonard, who is kind of a father to him.

The same way I don’t hate my children for saying “you are the worst mummy of the world” (at the age of 8 ), I don’t hate Sheldon for acting like a jerk. That’s the only logical explanation for my feelings.

And, of course, that only works because it’s a fictional story. I don’t think that real people with such a child-mind but in every other way able to manage an adult life, are existing.

The other thing that helps, is the fact, that it’s a comedy. That takes the weight of it all. Not only of Sheldons actions. Think about Howard and Raj letting the treadmill hurt Mrs Wolowitz. If it wasn’t a comedy, feelings of guilt would have been a big issue.

And if a real woman was treated by a real man like Amy is treated by Sheldon, I would tell her “Run as fast as you can, you can do better!” But it isn’t real, it’s a fairy tale love story, and there are other rules. Endgame and being made for each other and so on.

I don’t know Tony Soprano, but for example Charlie and Alan Harper are two jerk-characters I have ambivalent feelings for. More dislike than like. And what about Barney Stinson? Selfish bastard, but when you take all that layers away, that he built up to protect himself, you see an injured little boy who only wants to feel O.K.

Edited by Bavarian ShamyShipper Girl

Posted

Very true.

A few that come too mind:-

Lending Penny money.

Trying to stop Penny from dumping Leonard.

Comforting Howard, after his mother died.

Also, we need to remember that, he isn't being a jerk on purpose.

Also:

-saving Leonard's life

-providing Raj a job

-driving Penny to the hospital

-taking care of Amy while she was sick

-comforting Howard after Emily made fun of him

Posted (edited)

Yes, he can be a jerk at times. He is not one dimensional though. All these characters touch aspects of the human condition and it makes them interesting to watch. Does not mean any of us want to share an apartment with Sheldon. Leonard is one of a kind and none of the other original characters would have become Sheldon's friend if not for Leonard.

Edited by djsurrey

Posted

In real live I would be friends with Leonard and Raj.

With the others...I don't know.

But in the show I like the gang, everybody has got his part. And it fits.

Gesendet von meinem HTC Desire X mit Tapatalk

Posted

This is an interesting topic. 

Like the characters on the show, I have a love/hate relationship with Sheldon. Would I be friends with him in real life? No, most likely not. But this isn't real life. It's comedy. 

For example:

SHELDON: Penny, I know why you're upset.

PENNY: You do?

SHELDON: Yes. You think your costume makes you look fat.

Such a rude thing to say, but I laughed my ass off when he said it. 90% of the fun of Sheldon's inability to say the right thing is how the other characters react to it. 

And also, Jim plays him so well.

Squonk, wowbagger, 3ku11 and 1 other like this

Posted

On 4/4/2015 at 4:56 PM, phantagrae said:

When did he say that Leonard and Penny's relationship was like the scum of the earth of coupledom or that his relationship with Amy was the best in the world?

I think your tendency to exaggerate his stance says more about your attitude than it does anything that was actually stated in that episode. Sheldon was actually being very matter of fact because he was basing his analysis on the results of the quiz and his observation of Leonard and Penny's behavior. Yes, he's seen their courtship from day one, but he's also seen how they broke up, their ups and downs, etc.

By contrast he sees himself and Amy as having more in common and more solid because of their contract, etc..

Whether or not his assessment is correct (and I don't think the episode was intended to imply anything like that), he's not being insensitive because Leonard and Penny generally don't care about such opinions coming from him.

Everyone in the group knows the way Sheldon is and the kind of pronouncements he makes (best number, best pudding flavor, etc.), so his ranking of the relationships doesn't really mean anything.

Penny's concern about how much she and Leonard have in common isn't any kind of deal breaker for them, but simply something that gave her momentary concern, which was quickly alleviated by Leonard's reassurance.

If you try a little harder you might possibly be more condesending n your posts. It would be hard but not impossible.

3ku11 likes this

Posted (edited)

Like in S7 when Penny had a crisis, and Sheldon inferred his game night was more important, end of day Sheldon is #1 in his world.  Most of the time when Sheldon rarely is not a jerk. IT is down to the convention. I have never beleived geniunely for one second other then the Leonard hug, that Sheldon was being genuine when he was being nice. Their is like 100 examples of Treating Amy like dirt. And maybe like 3 or 4 when he diddn't. I am not saying Sheldon is, or is not a jerk. But I Also don't think going he was nice in this scenario is a good argument either. In my personal opinion, I Think Sheldon is an A-Hole. And treats his friends like utter crap, considering how much they do for him, especially Leonard. But they have seemed to reign those characteristics lately. But who knows when they well rear their ugly head again.  

Edited by Tensor
Removed negative comments about other members.

Posted

I think all the characters have their 'jerk' moments and all have characteristics that can be unpleasant at times, nobody is a saint on this program. In regards to Sheldon he can be a jerk, hell even a downright bastard but his friends do give as good as they get. Leonard can be a really nasty piece of work and makes insults about Sheldon all the time, Howard does as well, Penny can be snarky with the best of them etc.

So there are times when they are nasty to each other, but at the end of the day the love of friendship prevails.

Posted

4 minutes ago, Jonny83 said:

Leonard can be a really nasty piece of work and makes insults about Sheldon all the time, Howard does as well, Penny can be snarky with the best of them etc.

Even Raj has been known to take the piss out of him, even when Sheldon was feeling low.

They're also psychologically cruel to him, despite promising not to be.

Posted

4 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Even Raj has been known to take the piss out of him, even when Sheldon was feeling low.

They're also psychologically cruel to him, despite promising not to be.

Yep, in the Fermentation Bifurcation for example they are in the workshop and and Raj says he wants them to meet Claire but then Sheldon says but he won't be there and Raj said how perfect that has worked out. Sheldon does pick up on stuff like that, same with the Leonard comment about Bernie bringing new life into the world and the difference being Sheldon sucks life out of it,

They are snarky and nasty with each other all the time, sometimes it's just banter sometimes it's more than that. But it doesn't seem to affect their relationships at the end of the day.

April likes this

Posted

Actually, I was thinking of Raj's jokes at Sheldon's expense in The Vengeance Formulation, and the gang preventing him explaining about tapioca, in The Friendship Algorithm.

Posted (edited)

Big Bang Theory is broadcast most days on UK television and I admit I watch it from time to time (despite being quite an "oldie").  It is funny and clever, especially the interaction between  Howard and Raj, Penny and Leonard and the three girls. I find Sheldon irritating beyond belief, though I recognize he is the lynch-pin of the show. Indeed, sometimes, his one- liners are very witty. Unfortunately his humour is outweighed by the extremely selfish, condescending and occasionally downright nasty nature. It is said his friends are nasty and cruel to him - well sometimes deserves it - and he knows. Must also say, I love the way Sheldon's mother is written and played; in addition Amy is so good for him - though how she puts up with him, I don't know.  

Good heavens - it is only a sitcom.

Edited by Cariadbach

Posted

19 minutes ago, Cariadbach said:

Good heavens - it is only a sitcom.

If you think the way people on here react to a sitcom, you should see how some people over here react to soaps.

Soap actors have been verbally and physically abused, by strangers in the street, because of what their characters have done. :rolleyes: 

Posted

Interesting article from Psychology Today...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/media-spotlight/201607/dissecting-sheldon-cooper

Dissecting Sheldon Cooper

How The Big Bang Theory plays with the stereotype of the mad genius

If you've seen even a single episode of the hit sitcom, The Big Bang Theory, then you're familiar with Dr. Sheldon Cooper. Played to perfection by Jim Parsons, the tall, brilliant Sheldon has always seemed bizarre (and that's saying something considering the other characters on the show). Even fellow genius Leonard once described his friend and roommate as being "one lab accident away from becoming a supervillain."  When faced with frequent speculations about his mental stability, Sheldon typically responds that "my mother had me tested"  though his autistic personality,  asexuality, and general weirdness does little to reassure his friends.

In may ways, Sheldon fits in with the general stereotype of the eccentric genius so often seen in other popular television shows and movies.  Examples include Dr. Gregory House (star of the medical show of the same name), the OCD-racked Adrian Monk, and Dr. Emmet Brown of Back to the Future fame. The popularity of these characters seems to tie in with our own fascination with creative types who are often seen as paying the price for their genius with assorted mental quirks that separate them from the rest of us.   But what does this fascination with characters like Sheldon Cooper, or the popularity of shows like The Big Bang Theory,  say about our own attitudes about creativity and mental illness?....(more)

Posted

On 7/13/2016 at 0:06 PM, vonmar said:

What does Sheldon think of Psychology? I bet it's right up there with Geology.

I recommend following the link vonmar posted.

I liked this; " Contrary to common belief, eccentric individuals are often happier and more well-adjusted than "normal" people since they are much freer to break away from society's norms." I guess they don't buy the "non-optional social convention" rational.

How 'bout this: "  There is even a wikiHow page titled, "How to Act Like Sheldon Cooper 

I like Sheldon the insensitive man-child who says things we wish we would/could have said.

I just wonder why Sheldon doesn't lash out at Computer Science? Kurt would think that it's a true science because there's more than one right answer.

Posted (edited)

49 minutes ago, Retired CreativeGenius said:

I just wonder why Sheldon doesn't lash out at Computer Science?

Perhaps because computer science is born out of math and logic and is of recent origin.

Geology, metallurgy and chemistry have ancient origins muddled with alchemy and religion and even superstition and magic.

Edited by djsurrey

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Retired CreativeGenius said:

What does Sheldon think of Psychology?

From the horses mouth:-

Sheldon: Uh, now let’s tabulate the results of the experiment. I think it’s safe to say that you’re not in love with me and I’m not in love with you. And psychology has once again proved itself the doofus of the sciences.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

Posted (edited)

On 9/9/2016 at 10:33 AM, djsurrey said:

Perhaps because computer science is born out of math and logic and is of recent origin.

Geology, metallurgy and chemistry have ancient origins muddled with alchemy and religion and even superstition and magic.

Computer Science: Airlines can't fly because of software upgrades; flash market crashes, identity theft, hacking, and the computer virus.

The mainframe has been on it's death bed for some time now, but as far as I know it hasn't fallen victim to a virus.

In the early years, us mainframers followed what was happening, and we laughed our Azzez off as the attempts to shift the paradigm ran into real world problems. It was usually scalability, but sometimes calculations weren't accurate enough for BIG business operations. They couldn't get calculations in floating point to always agree with fixed point results.

My favorite fiction site isn't Fan Fiction here, it's LinkedIn. I was told by a director that getting a BS in CS  was easy, she chose a school that gave credit for what they called work experience. So she earned her BS by using BS.

I've worked WITH, not FOR, some CS people, some are awesome, most aren't. In the early years, there were  Scientists working in the field, quite  a few were Biologists. Most got their computer experience using the computer in their studies. 

Today the field has too many Diploma Mill graduates. 

Edited by Retired CreativeGenius
comma

Posted (edited)

On 09/09/2016 at 9:33 AM, djsurrey said:
On 09/09/2016 at 8:46 AM, Retired CreativeGenius said:

I just wonder why Sheldon doesn't lash out at Computer Science?

Oh yeah. The other factor is Bill P. has a computer science background.

Edited by djsurrey

Posted (edited)

On 2/12/2015 at 11:28 AM, SheldonIsAJerk said:

Why, given his revolting personality, would anyone remain friends with this complete tool?

I watch several re-runs a week at 6pm on E4 in the UK and have seen every episode so I have followed the development of the character. Why have Raj, Leonard and Howard not pinned the enormous jerk down and beaten him senseless? In the real world, if you treated someone in the manner Sheldon treats Raj in 'The Griffin Equivalency' you would soon find yourself friendless.

We live in different real worlds. In my world Sheldon would be a hoot, and get just as he gives.

In the early days of computers, programmers had to share terminals. If you walked away from a terminal that someone else needed, they would log you off. Sometimes they would change your password so you would have to walk around asking "what's my password?" In one instance I changed my friend's  log on message to say "Janet is a dummy because she can't make this message go away." When I logged on later that night my log on message said "Your mother swims after troop ships and catches them."

I busted a gut laughing. 

Edited by Retired CreativeGenius
speling
Sah likes this

Posted

it feels to me like Sheldon (and Howard) have...matured since the first few episodes...it reminds me of how much smarter Joey Tribbiani (sp?) was in the early episodes of FRIENDS...and while I'm on the subject of changes, *I* have mixed feelings about it, but how do you feel about Bernadette's voice change?

Posted

As someone with Autism I relate to his character. I understand his struggle to read emotions, body language and verbal language that is not cut and dry an direct. I love that he is working to improve himself and is trying to better understand the social constructs that surround him. 

BlackWhiteRose, Irene, Jonny and 1 other like this