Sheldon Is A Jerk

SheldonIsAJerk

I work on being tolerant of Sheldon because, let's face it, he's the most popular character in the show and a big reason for the show's popularity and success. Hating him is like biting the hand that feeds you. I also tolerate him because Leonard and Penny love him while he drives them crazy. And sometimes he's really funny.

I was the most furious with him this season about his stupid" Amy and I are the best couple in the group" (I know he really meant world) and Penny and Leonard are the worst, the scum of the earth of coupledom.  Leonard's his best friend for God's sake. Sheldon was a witness to the "courtship" from its start. If anyone knows how much Leonard loves Penny, it's Sheldon. And Penny is his friend too and he even likes her. So, whatever his undiagnosed issues are, I can't believe that he is still clueless and insensitive enough to be arrogant and boastful about his superior relationship to Leonard and Penny while diminishing theirs to a laughing stock status. He had to know that this would be upsetting and hurtful to them right on the heels of their engagement. But his arrogance trumped his ability to care for another person over trumpeting his own  (perceived) superiority. I found it to be one of Sheldon's most hateful moments.

In direct contrast, I found Sheldon endearing and funny when he and Leonard went shopping with the girls. He was tolerant of all three and showed a soft, caring side and a willingness to compromise but showed enough jerkness to be believable. And he was still funny.I liked him when Leonard had his surgery. He was crazy and neurotic because he was so worried about his Buddy. And Leonard could understand how worried Sheldon was and put up with his badgering. So he can be very funny without being a total jerk, but some seem to enjoy the total jerkness and the real meanness the most. To each his own. 

So, Sheldon can be a jerk. And he can also be a good friend and boyfriend sometimes and his relationship struggles will likely continue to amuse, touch and infuriate me til the end.

• Like 4

I work on being tolerant of Sheldon because, let's face it, he's the most popular character in the show and a big reason for the show's popularity and success. Hating him is like biting the hand that feeds you. I also tolerate him because Leonard and Penny love him while he drives them crazy. And sometimes he's really funny.

I was the most furious with him this season about his stupid" Amy and I are the best couple in the group" (I know he really meant world) and Penny and Leonard are the worst, the scum of the earth of coupledom.  Leonard's his best friend for God's sake. Sheldon was a witness to the "courtship" from its start. If anyone knows how much Leonard loves Penny, it's Sheldon. And Penny is his friend too and he even likes her. So, whatever his undiagnosed issues are, I can't believe that he is still clueless and insensitive enough to be arrogant and boastful about his superior relationship to Leonard and Penny while diminishing theirs to a laughing stock status. He had to know that this would be upsetting and hurtful to them right on the heels of their engagement. But his arrogance trumped his ability to care for another person over trumpeting his own  (perceived) superiority. I found it to be one of Sheldon's most hateful moments.

In direct contrast, I found Sheldon endearing and funny when he and Leonard went shopping with the girls. He was tolerant of all three and showed a soft, caring side and a willingness to compromise but showed enough jerkness to be believable. And he was still funny.I liked him when Leonard had his surgery. He was crazy and neurotic because he was so worried about his Buddy. And Leonard could understand how worried Sheldon was and put up with his badgering. So he can be very funny without being a total jerk, but some seem to enjoy the total jerkness and the real meanness the most. To each his own. 

So, Sheldon can be a jerk. And he can also be a good friend and boyfriend sometimes and his relationship struggles will likely continue to amuse, touch and infuriate me til the end.

When did he say that Leonard and Penny's relationship was like the scum of the earth of coupledom or that his relationship with Amy was the best in the world?

I think your tendency to exaggerate his stance says more about your attitude than it does anything that was actually stated in that episode. Sheldon was actually being very matter of fact because he was basing his analysis on the results of the quiz and his observation of Leonard and Penny's behavior. Yes, he's seen their courtship from day one, but he's also seen how they broke up, their ups and downs, etc.

By contrast he sees himself and Amy as having more in common and more solid because of their contract, etc..

Whether or not his assessment is correct (and I don't think the episode was intended to imply anything like that), he's not being insensitive because Leonard and Penny generally don't care about such opinions coming from him.

Everyone in the group knows the way Sheldon is and the kind of pronouncements he makes (best number, best pudding flavor, etc.), so his ranking of the relationships doesn't really mean anything.

Penny's concern about how much she and Leonard have in common isn't any kind of deal breaker for them, but simply something that gave her momentary concern, which was quickly alleviated by Leonard's reassurance.

• Like 1

Why, given his revolting personality, would anyone remain friends with this complete tool?

I watch several re-runs a week at 6pm on E4 in the UK and have seen every episode so I have followed the development of the character. Why have Raj, Leonard and Howard not pinned the enormous jerk down and beaten him senseless? In the real world, if you treated someone in the manner Sheldon treats Raj in 'The Griffin Equivalency' you would soon find yourself friendless

I know fans love the character 'Sheldon' but really he is a completely despicable person who would be shunned in the real world. I had similar discussions with fans of the sociopath Tony Soprano, one of the most depraved and evil characters ever displayed on TV, and I encouraged them to explain why they liked him.

So, TBBT fans (I am one too by the way), please explain why you like this character? I can tell you if a collosal prick treated me the way Sheldon treats people I would be telling him where yo get off in no uncertain terms. If he then repeated the behaviour I'd hurt him badly

so why do  the guys put up with him? he offers absolutely nothing to the people he knows apart from a whole list of flaws

anyone? 

Did you really compare Sheldon Cooper to Tony Soprano?? :icon_eek:

I liked Tony Soprano, I also liked George Costanza, Walter White and Dexter Morgan, and I can safely say that Sheldon is a much better person than the four of them - I can also say, unlike those four, Sheldon had grown and learned as the series has gone along, he has become a better person and a better friend.

Edited by luke

When did he say that Leonard and Penny's relationship was like the scum of the earth of coupledom or that his relationship with Amy was the best in the world?

I think your tendency to exaggerate his stance says more about your attitude than it does anything that was actually stated in that episode. Sheldon was actually being very matter of fact because he was basing his analysis on the results of the quiz and his observation of Leonard and Penny's behavior. Yes, he's seen their courtship from day one, but he's also seen how they broke up, their ups and downs, etc.

By contrast he sees himself and Amy as having more in common and more solid because of their contract, etc..

Whether or not his assessment is correct (and I don't think the episode was intended to imply anything like that), he's not being insensitive because Leonard and Penny generally don't care about such opinions coming from him.

Everyone in the group knows the way Sheldon is and the kind of pronouncements he makes (best number, best pudding flavor, etc.), so his ranking of the relationships doesn't really mean anything.

Penny's concern about how much she and Leonard have in common isn't any kind of deal breaker for them, but simply something that gave her momentary concern, which was quickly alleviated by Leonard's reassurance.

I expressed an opinion. I don't think my "tendency" to exaggerate says anything more about my attitude than your "tendency" to defend Sheldon's poor behavior says about your attitude. IMO he was arrogant, rude and insensitive to the feelings of his friends. I'm entitled to my opinion, remember? I never implied that his words would be a deal breaker for them. Just a rude insult from their friend which made them feel bad. And, Amy knew he was out of line when she saw how upset Penny became.

• Like 4

I expressed an opinion. I don't think my "tendency" to exaggerate says anything more about my attitude than your "tendency" to defend Sheldon's poor behavior says about your attitude. IMO he was arrogant, rude and insensitive to the feelings of his friends. I'm entitled to my opinion, remember? I never implied that his words would be a deal breaker for them. Just a rude insult from their friend which made them feel bad. And, Amy knew he was out of line when she saw how upset Penny became.

Are you too having fun wrong?

... he's not being insensitive because Leonard and Penny generally don't care about such opinions coming from him.

The difference between assessing pudding and what Sheldon did with regard to his evaluation of his best friends is vast. The comedy is derived from the acknowledgement that it was a horrible thing that Sheldon said, and that he said it anyway. To accept that it wasn't horrible is to kind of miss the joke. If it's not horrible then it's not funny. But it was horrible. The further part of the joke is that Sheldon believes he is correct - which just points out to the rest of the world how wrong - and insensitive - he is in such matters, which again is funny. He is insensitive, it was horrible, and it had an effect on Penny and Leonard. They then had their moment of doubt and then re-affirmation. So they did not think his ranking meant nothing. Otherwise they would have talked over him and not spoiled their dinner. Hehe.

• Like 4

I think that "horrible" and "insensitive" are pretty overwrought words. The comedy doesn't come from his comments being horrible or insensitive, but simply from him having the opinion he has for his own reasons, just like his opinions about the number and the pudding. He comes to the conclusion about the number by his analysis of the facts about the number and while the facts may be interesting, they only make it the best number in his opinion because those elements are things he values

Likewise with the relationship ranking, he's basing his assessment on the quiz and it's non-romantic way of evaluating a relationship. Those are the things he values, but not the way many people, including Leonard and Penny, would measure their relationship.

That's where the humor comes from, not that he's being "horrible". Even at first, when the four of them are walking down the stairs, Leonard and Penny aren't taking Sheldon's comments to heart, with Penny even correcting him about the wine and all that. In their conversation at the table Penny does get a little thrown off about what she and Leonard have in common, but it's not about Sheldon's comments being horrible or insensitive, but about her considering that there might be a seed of truth being revealed. Wouldn't it be more horrible if one knew something about a couple possibly being incompatible (and I don't think Sheldon was trying to say they weren't suited for each other) and just not speaking up in order to not appear insensitive?

Sheldon was speaking in what he felt was an honest manner. And I'm not defending him blindly, but simply pointing out the way the writing functioned in that scene. Is Sheldon being insensitive or are the writers taking an opportunity to show that each if the couples has their own way of measuring their relationship?

Happy to allow "overwrought" - it is tiring to have go over what is fairly evident. L/P WERE affected by what Sheldon said. He is unfiltered and doesn't care, except once in a blue moon. That's his schtick. Dress it as you will. :)

No offence, but this sounds pretty narrow minded and ignorant. Edited by Mislav

Mislay, you can't cancel out offence by saying "No offence, but... ". Lol. That's just silly.

Uhm, no... I was just letting you know that I didn't mean my post as a personal offence to you because I didn't want you to get wrong ideas. I just expressed my opinion about your post.

Uhm, no... I was just letting you know that I didn't mean my post as a personal offence to you because I didn't want you to get wrong ideas. I just expressed my opinion about your post.

Still not hitting the mark, possum. You might want to polish that one a bit more. *shakes head*

• Like 1

Still not hitting the mark, possum. You might want to polish that one a bit more. *shakes head*

Hitting the mark-regarding what?

Possum-what is that supposed to mean?

Polish that one a bit more-what is it that needs polishing? My opinion about your post? My explanation about "no offence" line? My opinion about Sheldon.

*shakes head*-why?

A good rule thumb is that if you have to preface your comment with "No offense...", it's likely to be offensive or taken as an attack. So it is probably best to change the wording.

• Like 3

You can't call someone ignorant without giving offence and you can't call someone's statement "narrow minded" without causing offence. Prefacing the offensive remark with a disclaimer doesn't suck out the offensiveness. Possum relates to a fluffy marsupial that is a bit like a squirrel and that can also be a term of avuncular endearment that i am using to tell you that even though your statement was in and of itself offensive, I am not taking offence. Polishing suggests that you might want to try another form of words to press your case. AND in some sense, knowingly or inadvertently, you are doing what Sheldon does. In this case I am doing what Leonard does, and giving you the benefit of the doubt. :)

• Like 1

You can't call someone ignorant without giving offence and you can't call someone's statement "narrow minded" without causing offence. Prefacing the offensive remark with a disclaimer doesn't suck out the offensiveness. Possum relates to a fluffy marsupial that is a bit like a squirrel and that can also be a term of avuncular endearment that i am using to tell you that even though your statement was in and of itself offensive, I am not taking offence. Polishing suggests that you might want to try another form of words to press your case. AND in some sense, knowingly or inadvertently, you are doing what Sheldon does. In this case I am doing what Leonard does, and giving you the benefit of the doubt. :)

Uhm, if it was an offence may post would have gotten deleted, because personally offending someone isn't allowed. And I didn't call you ignorant, I was referring to your post. Comment about the post does not apply to you personally. Even the best posters can have their bad days, so to say.

I apologize if I offended, but it wasn't my attention, and I don't think that I am doing what Sheldon does (whatever that means-what exactly do you mean by that)?

A good rule thumb is that if you have to preface your comment with "No offense...", it's likely to be offensive or taken as an attack. So it is probably best to change the wording.

I will keep that in mind.

Sheldon is the Anti Hero/straight man that is the subject of 99% of the Comic. Love or hate Sheldon he is the reason for BBT success. BTW I hate Sheldon But love to see him put down. IMHO Leslie Winkle did the best job of messing with Sheldon's mind.

• Like 2

Sheldon is the Anti Hero/straight man that is the subject of 99% of the Comic. Love or hate Sheldon he is the reason for BBT success. BTW I hate Sheldon But love to see him put down. IMHO Leslie Winkle did the best job of messing with Sheldon's mind.

Leslie was pretty bland, she would basically say the same thing over and over again. I prefer Barry.

I wouldn't classify Sheldon as the anti hero but I explained my reasonings in previous posts.

Leslie was pretty bland, she would basically say the same thing over and over again. I prefer Barry.

I wouldn't classify Sheldon as the anti hero but I explained my reasonings in previous posts.

Are you kidding? I loved Leslie. She boxed Sheldon's ears a little. I loved it, as much as I love sheldon, he deserved it a little z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

ive hidden the last two posts as they were getting off topic. Let's keep it to the topic.

Jeez. Just trying to be helpful... *sigh*

The fact that Sheldon "looks like jerk" does drive the show a lot. Whether or not he has free will and can choose how he acts I don't know. I think he should know better. It might not be as funny but there it is. He keeps doing the same thing over and over and over again without learning anything... <Nog pauses as a mirror forms in his mind's eye and thinks "Well, that's an observation. Where else might I have seen that behaviour?". He shakes his head, dispelling the insight and mutters, "Never mind. Onwards regardless!"> ...and his friends cope with the consequence of his unfiltered behaviours. That covers much of the shenanigans. Many of the stories can be summarised as Sheldon does something outside the bounds and comedy ensues. And Sheldon never has to make amends. I understand why they write it this way, because it's a long form TV sitcom - but call it what it is. He can be a jerk. "ITCHY SWEATER" was the epitome of this. He was even going beyond jerk there, as his girlfriend noted (not that she stopped him). Hehehe.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

Sheldon definitely has moments where he is a jerk and as already mentioned, this is a big part of how the show tells it’s comedic stories. As a viewer, I tend to be very forgiving of Sheldon’s mistakes because the intent behind what he does is rarely(ever?) malicious.

The relationship quiz, for example, I thought was more about reassuring Amy after he had left for 6 weeks (“trust me, you’re happy”) than it was about denigrating Lenny. It doesn’t make it less rude, but as a viewer I can let it go because I don’t think his intentions were bad.

Sheldon is arrogant, has no filter, and can be very clueless. He doesn’t mean to cause harm, though, so I don’t mind sitting back and just enjoying the humor that ensues from his blunders.

• 2 months later...

Did you really compare Sheldon Cooper to Tony Soprano?? :icon_eek:

I liked Tony Soprano, I also liked George Costanza, Walter White and Dexter Morgan, and I can safely say that Sheldon is a much better person than the four of them - I can also say, unlike those four, Sheldon had grown and learned as the series has gone along, he has become a better person and a better friend.

no, I did not compare Sheldon to Tony Soprano

I compared the TBBT fans liking of Sheldon to the Sopranos fans liking of Tony Soprano

the fact that you couldn't get that makes any further discussion pointless

no, I did not compare Sheldon to Tony Soprano

I compared the TBBT fans liking of Sheldon to the Sopranos fans liking of Tony Soprano

the fact that you couldn't get that makes any further discussion pointless

It took you almost three months to come up with the reply? I'd say that makes any discussion we may have pointless, I don't have that much time...

And comparing fans liking someone in this case is still comparing somebody who likes a character like Sheldon to somebody who likes a character who is a mobster who had caused the deaths of dozens of people.

Edited by Mislav

He's actually capable of doing nice things as well

Very true.

A few that come too mind:-

Lending Penny money.

Trying to stop Penny from dumping Leonard.

Comforting Howard, after his mother died.

Also, we need to remember that, he isn't being a jerk on purpose.