Sheldon Is A Jerk

SheldonIsAJerk

Hello I would like to make a statement on my opinion, also I don’t want to try to change your opinion

Like Beverly says Sheldon has a very complex mind, Leonard even knows this if I may quote Leonard:

”Here’s the thing about Sheldon, He doesn’t do it on purpose” He needs him and in some ways Sheldon needs Leonard

Even if you do hate him Emily points out that as much of a jerk he is you feel bad for him

Every character has major flaws, all of them are jerks, Howard in my opinion is worse than Sheldon, He makes fun of Sheldon every chance he gets, You may know that Sheldon makes fun of his MIT education but you should give Sheldon the benefit of the doubt Howard is a complete jerk to him

I don’t hate Howard I just don’t like how he treats Sheldon

He tells Penny that its hard for him, he doesn’t know if their in a bad mood or if he said something offensive, if they’re laughing at a joke or if they’re laughing at him

He’s still human he doesn’t want to annoy people

If he was real he would probably avoid people so he doesn’t offend anyone

In a way the show kinda revolves around Sheldon and his development

He never asked to be like this, also Amy loves Sheldon the way he is, She helps him with his shortcomings and he helps her with hers 

Sheldon is a the definition of its not always black and white, its a grey area and they know he’s trying his best

The thing is friendships are complicated, It’s not about being a nice guy, it’s about a bond not about treatment some people have a problem where they can’t tell what people are feeling, He’s clueless with social cues and it’s not his fault again he really is trying his best, you can’t blame him, to quote Bernadette

“The part of his brain that knows its wrong is getting a wedgie from the rest of his brain”

His mind is a double edged sword, It can hurt people but it can also help

So that concludes the largest thing I’ve ever written remember this is just my opinion

the character is meant for you to empathise

Anyways thats all i have to say, well all i can say bye

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marshadow said:

He’s clueless with social cues and it’s not his fault again he really is trying his best, you can’t blame him, to quote Bernadette

People like to say he doesn't know any better.  But, I've had trouble believing that since Season 6, Episode 8, The 43 Peculiarity.   Anyone who refers to the performance of oral sex as a chicken pecking for corn, then mimes the action is well aware and far from being clueless.

I also have trouble believing he's clueless, simply because his friends and his wife have been telling him what is or isn't acceptable behavior, and since he's claimed, and demonstrated, an eidetic memory, he should be able to know what is or isn't acceptable.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tensor said:

People like to say he doesn't know any better.  But, I've had trouble believing that since Season 6, Episode 8, The 43 Peculiarity.   Anyone who refers to the performance of oral sex as a chicken pecking for corn, then mimes the action is well aware and far from being clueless.

I also have trouble believing he's clueless, simply because his friends and his wife have been telling him what is or isn't acceptable behavior, and since he's claimed, and demonstrated, an eidetic memory, he should be able to know what is or isn't acceptable.

Another example is during The Table Polarization Episode, where after Sheldon got everyone away from the table to their regular eating places with sad talk, he looked at Leonard and said "The baby always wins".

Edited by chucky
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tensor said:

Agreed  I think he is more aware of things than most people believe. Besides the example you mentioned I recall a scene with Raj (I think it was in the Gorilla Dissolution when Lenny gets engaged) They had come from the movie where Raj met Emily and were talking about  seeing her with another guy but dating Raj.  Raj asks Sheldon wouldn't he be upset if he saw Amy with another guy. Sheldon quotes a point from their relationship agreement where Amy cannot be with someone else. At which Raj says 'but you don't have sex with her either"  And Sheldon replies "Slick huh" which makes me believe he knows exactly what he is doing to manipulate his friends to abide by his rules.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mario D. said:

Agreed  I think he is more aware of things than most people believe. Besides the example you mentioned I recall a scene with Raj (I think it was in the Gorilla Dissolution when Lenny gets engaged) They had come from the movie where Raj met Emily and were talking about  seeing her with another guy but dating Raj.  Raj asks Sheldon wouldn't he be upset if he saw Amy with another guy. Sheldon quotes a point from their relationship agreement where Amy cannot be with someone else. At which Raj says 'but you don't have sex with her either"  And Sheldon replies "Slick huh" which makes me believe he knows exactly what he is doing to manipulate his friends to abide by his rules.

I can find no fault with your post. I completely agree.

On 12/25/2021 at 10:13 AM, Mario D. said:

That's just, once again, the writers compromising the character's identity and qualities for a laugh.

19 minutes ago, shell said:

That's just, once again, the writers compromising the character's identity and qualities for a laugh.

That maybe true but those kind of actions happen more often than not.  Remember the  "Itchy Sweater" incident, the extortion of the RA with Priya,  the table that Sheldon whined about. All these to me represent Sheldon's true self.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shell said:

12 hours ago, shell said:

The 'true self' of a television character made up by writers

So, if the "True Self" or identity of a character is made up by the writers, then the writes can't compromise the identity of a character for a laugh, can they?  After all, what the writers write is the character's identity.  

Now, I agree that we can all complain about the inconsistency of how the writers write the character.  I believe we all have problems with the way our favorite characters were written at one time or another.  

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Tensor said:

I believe we all have problems with the way our favorite characters were written at one time or another.

I do believe that I have voiced my opinion on how the writers wrote Lenny a few times. 😉

On 1/2/2022 at 12:36 AM, Tensor said:

So, if the "True Self" or identity of a character is made up by the writers, then the writes can't compromise the identity of a character for a laugh, can they?  After all, what the writers write is the character's identity.  

Now, I agree that we can all complain about the inconsistency of how the writers write the character.  I believe we all have problems with the way our favorite characters were written at one time or another.  

Yes, they can 

33 minutes ago, shell said:

Yes, they can 

As the writers, they probably can. But, the question is should they. I, for one, don't believe they should. I believe there's plenty of room within the true self identity of a character for laughs. That's just my opinion. I'm sure there will be some disagreement.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shell said:

Yes, they can 

I'm a bit puzzled.  If, as you say here, that writers can compromise the identity of a character, then this conflicts with your statement:

On 1/1/2022 at 12:29 PM, shell said:

The 'true self' of a television character made up by writers

So which is it?  Do the writers construct the true self of a television character or do they compromise the identity of the character, it can't be both.