[Spoilers?] Does/did It Look Like Leonard And Penny Are/were Bored?

Why would they be bored?  They've never come across as bored to me.

Now, do you mean the characters being bored with each other, or do you mean the actors bored with what they're given to do?

But, no, I still have never got the sense that anyone's bored.

It came up on the l/p thread. That they are bored, which is why they don't nestle like they used to. I thought it was just direction and writing, not anything intrinsically a problem with the couples relationship.

Ooh should add spoilers note.

But again, are you talking about the characters--like they're bored with each other?  There can be no problem intrinsic with the couple's relationship if it's not in the writing, unless you're talking about the actors being bored with the roles or something.

If L/P are supposed to be bored with each other (which I do not agree with), then there would be something more specific in the writing and the subtext.  There would be a storytelling reason--like there was when Penny said that her relationship with Leonard was kind of boring compared to the random relationships she'd had before, but that she didn't want to break up with him.  It's just that it wasn't that same kind of flash-bang she was used to.  And again, I think the point of all of that was to underscore that she just wasn't used to dating a truly nice guy.

She'd gone out with "dumb guys from the gym" and other boy-toys that might have been exciting when she fooled around with them, but then ultimately all those relationships were shallow and short-lived.

With Leonard she'd finally hit on what she really needed and she didn't recognize it at first.

So all of that uncertainty was very specifically written into the show, though, because it served to help them prove a point about the true state of their relationship.

I'd say that it's more that they're comfortable with each other, not having to paw each other at every moment just to prove to everyone that they're in love.  But even that is probably more speculation that the situation really needs because the writing doesn't seem to be indicating that there's anyone wrong with their relationship.

And I think that the lack of tight focus on the Lenny is more indicative that everything being fine with them, so there's room to focus on other characters.

• Like 3

And I think that the lack of tight focus on the Lenny is more indicative that everything being fine with them, so there's room to focus on other characters.

I agree. I do think they are fine but not regularly in play. Benched to a degree, to use a sporting metaphor. Happy for the new story - looking forward to them getting an arc to anchor them in s9. 

• Like 2

I don't think they are bored.  I think they have just been put on the back burner so to speak.  

And yes I believe both Johnny and Kaley's talents are very much under-utilized...

Or what Nog posted while I was typing  :icon_biggrin:

Edited by Kasey
  • Like 3

Why bored? "Boring married couple" - yes. But I think a lot of people go through that, whether they realize it or not. My best friend did and it was hilarious because they didn't see it for so long. But bored? I think Penny's bored when she's watching Star Wars for the fifteenth time and Leonard's bored when he's watching Sex and the City... but the kind of bored that you're okay with being bored because the other person isn't. But I don't see why they would be bored overall? 

• Like 4

I think they were saving Lenny. So put them in a background role. And developed other characters. Make viewers miss them. Then massive plot which was last week. I Think the writers are trying to change the perception they are a bored married couple. More they are an engaged couple in love. That taping last week gave me renewed hope. Latter half is always Lenny. Terrible Waitress good to see you haha!

• 2 months later...