The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

816 The Intimacy Acceleration (February 26)

Your Episode Rating  

97 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Enjoyed this episode more than I thought I would.  I knew Sheldon and Penny would never fall in love, but I was a little worried the writers would take it too far just for comedy and glad they didn't.  I've always said they are more like brother and sister and would be terrible couple so glad they finally put final nail in that coffin again tonight and once again had Sheldon proclaiming his love for Amy and even cooler that we found out when Sheldon's birthday is February 26th.  I do feel the storyline with Howard and Bernadette was the most heartwarming to see Howard admit how he feels about his mother almost made me tear up again.  I did like seeing Emily again, but I still wish we seen Raj and Emily do the experiment instead I feel like we already knew Sheldon and Penny were close and Leonard and Penny are engaged and SHAMY is in love with each other, but we still no so little about Emily other than she likes watching/doing scaring disturbing things.  There needs to be more to her personality than that and more information we can find out about her, but its nice her getting along so well with Amy and Leonard thats a good stepping stone to her become more of a part of the group hopefully in the future.  

Overall it was a cute episode, not that funny more heartfelt but still I want get back to some laugh out loud moments and more intimacy between the actual couples on the show.  Because I will never see Shenny as anything more than friends and next week the SHAMY storyline looks so much more adorable so I can't wait to see that.

I found the episode funny and entertaining.

It seemed to say Penny does love Sheldon as a brother, not romantically.

I found the zombie story amusing. It was kind of fun to see Emily fit in with some of the gang.

The one part I found a little dull was Howard Bernadette and the ashes.

Was the French toast line in there or does he does he says she is dead so it doesn't matter?

Still cant bring myself to see it.

Okay, now I feel better.  A little... I need more, but I am greedy.  Thank god the powers that be didn't ruin the episode with the other line, of course with all the Shenny crap, it would be a short trip to ruin the episode.  I will see it when my prescription of Zanax is filled and Gin is half off.. I think it will be AFTER next week. 

• Like 1

My post evaporated into the ether...

What I was saying was that I really enjoyed the episode and that I don't understand what was supposed to be offensive or displeasing.

And I don't think the writers set out to try to quash the Shenny idea. I think that the writers have been having some fun with some social fads that are going on--both the love quiz and the zombie game are current fads.

Anyway, I liked that both Sheldon and Penny had answers that were funny/silly and sincere and real, without being maudlin or too precious.

I think I would have wanted the zombie thing to las a little longer, but I guess the shortness was kind of the point. Still it was fun and it was nice to see Emily again.

And Howard...oh Howard... I really liked the moment when he was talking about how he could have driven his mother. It was so real and sad. And that's often how it is--you just don't know what moment or interaction will be the last.

Anyway, I thought it was a fun episode in every way. I gave it a "very good" rather than "excellent" only because the zombie thing could have been a little more interesting. It felt a little glossed over.

But all in all, a fun episode.

• Like 8

My post evaporated into the ether...

What I was saying was that I really enjoyed the episode and that I don't understand what was supposed to be offensive or displeasing.

And I don't think the writers set out to try to quash the Shenny idea. I think that the writers have been having some fun with some social fads that are going on--both the love quiz and the zombie game are current fads.

[snip]

On the nose what I was thinking but did not know quite how to word it.

This wasn't the best episode, but it did have some redeeming qualities. The Howard/Bernadette thread had me tearing up a few times. As having lost a parent recently, I know how Howard felt, especially with avoiding driving her, it hit home and made my heart ache a little for my dad, but the humor in it was spot on, not over the top to ruin the sincerity of death, but just enough to avoid a weep-fest like I (shamefully) had last episode.

The zombie story line felt like filler. I'm sure they didn't want to cut the other characters out, and they had to do something, but it wasn't as amusing as I'd hoped, perhaps they could have done a haunted house type hunt, with the zombie pursuing them, as opposed to one room with him chained up, I think that might have been more pleasing for the characters as well as the viewers.

The Shenny storyline was sweet. I am vehemently against the romantic Shenny shipping, and regularly argue with my IRL friends about it. I felt this episode hit home as to what the writers see their relationship to truly be, and Kaley and Jim were very sweet. I agree with a previous poster about them being a little OOC, but I think that was the point, to show some deep vulnerabilities that both characters possess, but can't show when around their larger social circle. Sheldon's admittance of weakness was very important. He touched on it a little when he and Leonard were in the clothing store, but this hit home, I feel, to explain that Sheldon is a human, and does feel things just like the rest of the group does, even though he does his best to hide behind it.

Overall, not a bad episode, but I am looking forward to next week.

• Like 2

Just watched this. I need someone to help me find my lost sense of humour. This show has not been funny for nearly 2 seasons. Tonight had a schmaltzy S and P almost sickening, a totally unfunny zombie story and H and B story had very little to recommend it. The .bit where H was reunited with his mother's ashes was almost embarrassing.I have been less than impressed with the show since S6. I keep watching in the hope that it has  to imorove, but it hasn't. My .diagnosis is too much Sheldon.

• Like 3

The Shenny part was handled more gently than I thought it would be, but some of the magic of the moment was lost on me due to the heaviness of Kaley's eye make up. She was squinting a lot, and it seemed like her mascara was so heavy it gelled together at the corners and she could no longer open her eyes all the way. I really wanted to take a wash cloth to her face and then tell them to start over. I thought Jim was amazing, although Sheldon seemed a bit more....Jim? than Sheldon? But then I feel like Parsons could have chemistry with a fire hydrant, but Kaley seemed uncomfortable. Or I was just not able to figure out what all her cross-eyed squinting and lip pursing meant. It was definitely Jim rather than Kaley's odd facial expressions and lack of eyes that made those scenes work for me - and the writing and dialogue, which was very sweet.

My favorite part was Bernadette and Howard. Bernie is a little tiger and will fight you to the death for her man. I thought Simon has been really convincing about Howard's mother's death, and their scenes with the poor baggage claim lady were funny.

The rest of the gang had fun antics - good to see Emily in actin. I like her a lot, and want more of her and Raj - a bit meaningless but fun. Also, I think some of the point of that storyline went away because it was so heavily cut. Major lines and parts of it were cut out from what I remember I. The taping repor, so part of why it seemed to go so fast and produce so little is that it was heavily shaved down. Probably to make more room for Sheldon and Penny's special bond to be highlighted. Which I know a lot of people are sick of, and it's a little annoying to have something so heavily written for them to get closer to the point it did feel a little OOC, (and featured too much mascara), but it's been a staple of the show since the beginning. I am just glad that what I saw went towards honoring Sheldon and Penny's dynamic and not bashing as much as I feared it would. It didn't come across as meta in it's message as I feared, and I hope those who are in it for Shenny enjoyed it.

I also love, from a geeky point of vew, what they did as their take on the article and pare that inspired the episode. The original scientific study only postulated that two people, perfect strangers, would feel CLOSER after going through the excerise. Then some Lifestyle type writer tried to twist it into a "falling in love" ex cerise about eye staring. That Penny and Sheldon concluded they felt closer after doing the expertise, but not in love, rather bashed the article but proved the study. So that was a nice touch.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 4

First of all, I love watching this show with my kids. I think their laughter ( especially my daughter) helps me laugh without the distraction of what traumas fellow forum members put in my mind from reading this board before viewing.

Secondly, I'm one of the few Lenny based avatar owners who was not stressing about this episode. They call me a Lenny Lover not a shipper anyway. I understand their pain but I don't feel it! For the angsty Shamies, as a Shamy supporter I don't see what the fuss was about. There was actually quite a lot of love in the air between them tonight, possibly what made it worse for the Lennies who got nothing in comparison.

.....And so to the episode.

I laughed quite a bit. Out loud several times. ( again maybe because of my daughter, but still....) Sure, I've laughed more this season but I've also laughed less. But yes, I also squirmed and cringed a couple of times too.

Yes I loved Howard and Bernadette again. I know it's supposed to be a comedy but sometimes characters we love to laugh at have to make us feel sad sometimes too. I know I'm gonna feel like Howard some day soon - it's hard not to think like that when you have an 80 year old dad in a nursing home who can't move or talk much. So seeing his reaction to his mums death touches me more than I thought it would. These scenes need to be done but I'm sure once the brisket party episode is done that will probably be the end of it for a while and that's good too. kudos to Simon and Melissa for tonight - not hilarious but great to watch regardless.

Amy was great early on. Loved her responses to both Sheldon and Leonard. Leonard's permission giving to Penny was funny for me and in the general I liked the early scenes in setting up the main story. The Lamy/Ramily scenes were mildly amusing filler but not rewind and watch again standard. Good to see Emily do more than a walk on role for the first time in a long while and interacting with someone other than Howardette.

Now to the elephant in the room - the Shenny. Will possibly get locked out of the Lenny clubhouse for a week for saying this but generally I enjoyed it a lot. To be honest I've always loved Shenny scenes. I find their interactions usually very funny - Anything can Happen S7 being a notable exception. I think it's because I identify so much with everyone's relationships in this show, without obsessively shipping one over the other. The Lenny relationship is mine with my wife which is why Lenny is number one couple for me. But being a primary school teacher in Australia, I've spent nigh on 30 years surrounded by female friends so I also identify with the Shenny relationship because I have A lot of those in my life. I'm close with a lot of females, some I treat like Sheldon treats Penny ( and vice versa) but none of them are seen as any threat to my real relationship. I've mucked around in similar situations to tonight's episode with some but all in fun. It's why I don't get so many peoples severe responses to Shenny scenes or Shenny shippers. Yeah you don't like it but chill out, no harm done. Anyways, I digress.

I liked the first couple of Shenny scenes A lot and laughed plenty. The later ones pushed the envelope a little too far though. Got a bit too sweet and warm and fuzzy. Too much time without the usual snark and a bit too nice to be believable. Not that it repulsed or offended me, I still laughed but it was just bit too over the top for their usual repartee and the brother/sister relationship it was meant to hammer home. I think a hint of Lenny Lover came out in me and briefly made me think it's been a while since Leonard and Penny have had this much alone time together and it would be nice to see an episode with this much screen time dedicated to them voicing how much they care about each other. So yeah, a bit too thickly spread on by the end of the episode. But I still laughed and that's why I watch the show.

But sadly, all I'm going to be doing when I watch it again ( and I will cos I like it) is, thanks to Lionne, stare at Penny's bloody mascara. Thanks Lionne!

And finally - yay! 1000th post. Didn't think I'd last but I love this place still.

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 6

It was a good episode.

The biggest kudos are for Simon Helberg. He was incredible in that episode! That scene with Howard talking to his mothers urne was so touching :cry: Simon Helberg is so underrated. I would nominate him for an Emmy right away! He deserves it he´s a great actor!

And I loved Bernadette yelling at the lady at the airport! Melissas delievery was just perfect! :icon_biggrin:

I have to say that the Howardette storyline was my favourite in that episode.

And the Penny/Sheldon scenes were nice. They finally proved that they´re like siblings and thats a good thing. I had no idea that Sheldons birthday is in Feburary. (yay I share a star sign with Sheldon his birthday is only two days after mine *yay*) And I loved the moment where Sheldon told Penny about his wish that he wants to read peoles´s mind if he could. (Join the club Sheldon I`m also not very good at  socializing with people) And I loved the scene where they all yelled suprise at Sheldon. Loved it that Penny told the others when Sheldons birthday is.

The zombie story was a little bit funny but too short.

Edited by BlackWhiteRose

I did like seeing Emily again, but I still wish we seen Raj and Emily do the experiment instead I feel like we already knew Sheldon and Penny were close and Leonard and Penny are engaged and SHAMY is in love with each other, but we still no so little about Emily other than she likes watching/doing .

I too thought the experiment should have been done with someone else besides Sheldon and Penny although not with an actual couple on the show. To me Leonard and Emily would have been more interesting since what happened between Raj/Penny and Emily and Penny not liking each other.
  • Like 2

I enjoyed this episode very much. I wasn't worried though. I thought Sheldon and Penny were quite funny as neither was taking the test really seriously but then did have some very serious answers. The staring part made me laugh because you knew how uncomfortable and creeped out they felt.

I did enjoy the fact that Sheldon pointed out how Leonard wasn't in her perfect day although why does a significant other have to be in your perfect day. She stuttered through how he was there. Then even though Sheldon didn't have Amy in his, he had his answer ready. Who made the French toast? I loved it.

Sheldon putting it out that he wanted to really know how people felt and Penny saying she wish she could be as smart as them, very touching.

The zombie thing was weird because it was so short.  I wish they would have been in their longer.

Howard/Bernadette was touching and funny. I felt for them. Although I do wonder why he checked her....but that was the point so who am I to question.

All in all I really thought this episode was solid.

• Like 3

This wasn't the best episode, but it did have some redeeming qualities. The Howard/Bernadette thread had me tearing up a few times. As having lost a parent recently, I know how Howard felt, especially with avoiding driving her, it hit home and made my heart ache a little for my dad, but the humor in it was spot on, not over the top to ruin the sincerity of death, but just enough to avoid a weep-fest like I (shamefully) had last episode.

The zombie story line felt like filler. I'm sure they didn't want to cut the other characters out, and they had to do something, but it wasn't as amusing as I'd hoped, perhaps they could have done a haunted house type hunt, with the zombie pursuing them, as opposed to one room with him chained up, I think that might have been more pleasing for the characters as well as the viewers.

The Shenny storyline was sweet. I am vehemently against the romantic Shenny shipping, and regularly argue with my IRL friends about it. I felt this episode hit home as to what the writers see their relationship to truly be, and Kaley and Jim were very sweet. I agree with a previous poster about them being a little OOC, but I think that was the point, to show some deep vulnerabilities that both characters possess, but can't show when around their larger social circle. Sheldon's admittance of weakness was very important. He touched on it a little when he and Leonard were in the clothing store, but this hit home, I feel, to explain that Sheldon is a human, and does feel things just like the rest of the group does, even though he does his best to hide behind it.

Overall, not a bad episode, but I am looking forward to next week.

They couldn't/wouldn't have the zombie chasing them through a haunted house because they were doing a real game. The zombie challenge thing is a real game that people pay to play. As time goes on in the game, the zombie gets more length of chain until he reaches the players, if they don't solve the puzzles soon enough. I just read an article about it and people were talking about where they would stick their name tags on the wall if they were "killed" by the zombie. But the point was that with their higher intelligence and education, the puzzles were too easy for them and they got out in 6 minutes or whatever.

• Like 3

What's actually kinda sad is that the producers felt the need to pull out the sledgehammer and hammer home to some peoples' minds that, no, Sheldon and Penny will never become romantically attached, but I guess if some people haven't "gotten it" by now, they never will. At least it's now out there, on the record, in the canon, period, done, full stop.

Thanks, I thought I would be the only one. It wasn't really necessary to point it out. I mean, let them believe what they want, but this is just another punch in the face for the Shenny crowd. I don't ship them romantically at all, but I don't blame them for thinking a little different. I think it would've been better to just leave it to the imagination.

I didn't think Gary-con could possibly be a real thing, but son of a gun, it is.

• Like 5

Cannot express strongly enough how much I detested this episode. 

The one bright spot, for me, was Emily. Not a big fan of her as I find that write her a little too creepy, a little too far off center with her coming at people with scalpels and cutting them jokes. But in this episode, I found her warm, very charming, and likable. 

Howardette. What I found absolutely heartbreaking was when Howard was talking about not driving his mother to the airport. That was devastatingly good. But then his Freudian Slip to the clerk about his mother being the only woman that loved him? Wow. Can understand his pain at the sudden loss of basically your only parent, but that goes way deeper. Bev needs to start writing a book on Howard. Everyone seemed to enjoy Bernadette barking at the clerk with the 'dead woman' line but I didn't think that was very funny at all. Threatening assault? (I do admit to being a tad oversensitive on this point -- night shift RN in gritty West Philadelphia and getting threatened by pissed off patients or their family members fairly often) But when the woman was sincerely apologetic and was doing her best to help? Bernadette's lucky the clerk crumpled and didn't call security on her. If that were me, I would have. Worst of all was when Howard fell to knees and kissed the urn, promising never to leave his mother again. I found that embarrassingly bad and difficult to watch. It was almost equal to Expedition when we find out that Bernadette has been giving Howard stars to encourage him to/when he does housework and then Howard is begging/demanding his star. Not funny, painful, cringeworthy, and difficult to watch FOR ME. 

Shenny. FOR ME, this cut painfully deep on several levels. First, I hate Shenny. Always have, always will. Even the diluted mix that the TPTB served us -- testing the romantic Shenny formula only to tell us that the result of the equation is that they are brother and sister or even worse, mother and son -- ack! ack! ack! Aren't they giving us enough creepy mother and son with Howard and his mother? But the knife cuts deeper. Why, this late in season eight, did TPTB even have to give us this story? It's not to finally stomp out the Shenny fire and quiet them forever. Nope. By the very virtue of their ship, the Shennys are not canon bound. So no matter what TPTB write, no matter who Sheldon and Penny claim to love, the Shenny ship will continue to disregard it and happily float. IMO, the only thing that this episode served to do was to have one less chance of any substantive Lenny story this season (which, of this season, we've had none. And I'm talking more than just having the Lenny in the background, not fighting, and just being together and engaged. FOR ME, I needed a way more from Lenny months ago). But the knife goes deeper still. When Penny said she felt a 'wave of affection' for Sheldon, I could have cried, and not with happiness. Except for 'makes me want to hold your hand and do it with you' way back when in episode three, the Lenny have had nothing since anywhere near that level of intimacy, affection, respect, tenderness this season. At all. The Shamy have, deservedly so. They are one of the canon couples. And the Shenny have. Not so much for Lenny.

Lenny. This is unbelievably painful. Amy asks Leonard who he would have for dinner. He immediately responds 'Penny.' Penny gets asked the same question and responds 'Robert Downey, Jr.' She then gets asked to describe her perfect day and then describes a lovely day without mentioning Leonard at all, and then only testily includes him after it is pointed out to her. Cannot help but think TPTB are foreshadowing something here. It was a small mercy that Amy didn't get far in her questions to ask Leonard what his perfect day would be. I know it would have included Penny. For me, as a Lenny, this episode was profoundly painful and unfunny. 

This episode is a 'one and done' for me. Truly regrettable and hopefully very soon, forgettable. 

Edited by 5Mississippis
  • Like 5

Very good episode, funny and sweet moments from both from the Shenny and Howardette segments - I like that they are showing Howard dealing with the loss of his Mother and they didn't brush it off after one episode, but maybe he should have taken the Urrn in his carry on bag, and I liked through answering the questions Sheldon and Penny might have discovered they have a deeper and more meaningful friendship than either of them realized, I have always enjoyed their friendship and this was a really nice moment in it, and I liked Penny setting up the surprise birthday party at the end - that was a nice touch, even if it irked Sheldon.

Edited by luke
  • Like 3

I hope I'm wrong but I'm really questioning the strength on the Lenny relationship its just so one sided

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

[snip]

Lenny. This is unbelievably painful. Amy asks Leonard who he would have for dinner. He immediately responds 'Penny.' Penny gets asked the same question and responds 'Robert Downey, Jr.' She then gets asked to describe her perfect day and then describes a lovely day without mentioning Leonard at all, and then only testily includes him after it is pointed out to her. Cannot help but think TPTB are foreshadowing something here. It was a small mercy that Amy didn't get far in her questions to ask Leonard what his perfect day would be. I know it would have included Penny. For me, as a Lenny, this episode was profoundly painful and unfunny. 

This episode is a 'one and done' for me. Truly regrettable and hopefully very soon, forgettable.

I don't think that was foreshadowing. This is how they write Penny. Kind of a role reversal on more stereotypical couples from bygone days. Sitcoms where the man always forgot birthdays, anniversaries...  ...and the wife was wondring where the romance had gone. Viewed from that point of view it was funny. Or should I say that's what I think the writers are attempting to do.

• Like 3

You don't have to spend your perfect day with your partner, especially if you have different things you both like, why make each other unhappy when you can choose to do what you both want to do

Even if that does mean separately

• Like 1