The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

816 The Intimacy Acceleration (February 26)

Your Episode Rating  

97 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Lenny. This is unbelievably painful. Amy asks Leonard who he would have for dinner. He immediately responds 'Penny.' Penny gets asked the same question and responds 'Robert Downey, Jr.' She then gets asked to describe her perfect day and then describes a lovely day without mentioning Leonard at all, and then only testily includes him after it is pointed out to her. Cannot help but think TPTB are foreshadowing something here. It was a small mercy that Amy didn't get far in her questions to ask Leonard what his perfect day would be. I know it would have included Penny. For me, as a Lenny, this episode was profoundly painful and unfunny. 

This episode is a 'one and done' for me. Truly regrettable and hopefully very soon, forgettable.

I will agree this season in general had been disappointing for Lenny fans. In regards to this episode I think you should look at the whole picture. if Leonard had asked Amy first who would she wanted to have dinner with the answer would have been Sheldon. When Sheldon answered he said himself. Penny answered after Sheldon answer and to me seemed to give a better answer and Sheldon liked Penny's answer. I'm not sure most people would have answered their significant other. No one knows how their significant other answered on the episode. Both answered the perfect didn't include their SO. I totally agree with Rachel's comment above. Sheldon's pancake response only seemed better but he had more time to respond to the question than Amy. If Leonard was doing the love test with Amy he probably would mentioned Penny on his perfect day just as amy would of mentioned Sheldon. That's why I earlier made a comment about Leonard and Emily doing the test because IMO Leonard would have answered the questions differently. Leonard in many ways is like Amy in regards to their SO's. I know it was cut from the show but when the girl at the room escape asked if they were scared of the zombie they both responded being more scared of their SO's being with each other.

First of all, I love watching this show with my kids. I think their laughter ( especially my daughter) helps me laugh without the distraction of what traumas fellow forum members put in my mind from reading this board before viewing.

Secondly, I'm one of the few Lenny based avatar owners who was not stressing about this episode. They call me a Lenny Lover not a shipper anyway. I understand their pain but I don't feel it! For the angsty Shamies, as a Shamy supporter I don't see what the fuss was about. There was actually quite a lot of love in the air between them tonight, possibly what made it worse for the Lennies who got nothing in comparison.

.....And so to the episode.

I laughed quite a bit. Out loud several times. ( again maybe because of my daughter, but still....) Sure, I've laughed more this season but I've also laughed less. But yes, I also squirmed and cringed a couple of times too.

Yes I loved Howard and Bernadette again. I know it's supposed to be a comedy but sometimes characters we love to laugh at have to make us feel sad sometimes too. I know I'm gonna feel like Howard some day soon - it's hard not to think like that when you have an 80 year old dad in a nursing home who can't move or talk much. So seeing his reaction to his mums death touches me more than I thought it would. These scenes need to be done but I'm sure once the brisket party episode is done that will probably be the end of it for a while and that's good too. kudos to Simon and Melissa for tonight - not hilarious but great to watch regardless.

Amy was great early on. Loved her responses to both Sheldon and Leonard. Leonard's permission giving to Penny was funny for me and in the general I liked the early scenes in setting up the main story. The Lamy/Ramily scenes were mildly amusing filler but not rewind and watch again standard. Good to see Emily do more than a walk on role for the first time in a long while and interacting with someone other than Howardette.

Now to the elephant in the room - the Shenny. Will possibly get locked out of the Lenny clubhouse for a week for saying this but generally I enjoyed it a lot. To be honest I've always loved Shenny scenes. I find their interactions usually very funny - Anything can Happen S7 being a notable exception. I think it's because I identify so much with everyone's relationships in this show, without obsessively shipping one over the other. The Lenny relationship is mine with my wife which is why Lenny is number one couple for me. But being a primary school teacher in Australia, I've spent nigh on 30 years surrounded by female friends so I also identify with the Shenny relationship because I have A lot of those in my life. I'm close with a lot of females, some I treat like Sheldon treats Penny ( and vice versa) but none of them are seen as any threat to my real relationship. I've mucked around in similar situations to tonight's episode with some but all in fun. It's why I don't get so many peoples severe responses to Shenny scenes or Shenny shippers. Yeah you don't like it but chill out, no harm done. Anyways, I digress.

I liked the first couple of Shenny scenes A lot and laughed plenty. The later ones pushed the envelope a little too far though. Got a bit too sweet and warm and fuzzy. Too much time without the usual snark and a bit too nice to be believable. Not that it repulsed or offended me, I still laughed but it was just bit too over the top for their usual repartee and the brother/sister relationship it was meant to hammer home. I think a hint of Lenny Lover came out in me and briefly made me think it's been a while since Leonard and Penny have had this much alone time together and it would be nice to see an episode with this much screen time dedicated to them voicing how much they care about each other. So yeah, a bit too thickly spread on by the end of the episode. But I still laughed and that's why I watch the show.

But sadly, all I'm going to be doing when I watch it again ( and I will cos I like it) is, thanks to Lionne, stare at Penny's bloody mascara. Thanks Lionne!

And finally - yay! 1000th post. Didn't think I'd last but I love this place still.

I was not one of those stressing out about this episode, but then I rarely get stressed about anything. Totally agree with your summation, itwasdestined.

howard/berine save the day.

the zombie scene was so useless, it had

to fill the rest of the cast members, 

shenny- no comment

• Like 1

I hope I'm wrong but I'm really questioning the strength on the Lenny relationship its just so one sided

If this were real life, I could see the concern. Since it's not real life, I think that, in my opinion, some people are stressing and hyperventilating for absolutely no good reason.

• Like 4

some people are stressing and hyperventilating for absolutely no good reason.

It's my asthma, honest.  

• Like 1

also have to add...sort of about this episode.

So while watching with my hubby last night during the commercial breaks....we asked each other the questions.  And scary but neither of us had each other in our perfect days....and we've been together 15 years. 

It was actually fun asking each other the questions.

• Like 3

I liked it. (I didn't love it, but I liked it.) As others have already said, the Howard/Bernadette scenes were the best, the Leonard/Amy/Raj/Emily subplot was okay filler, and the Sheldon/Penny scenes were actually kinda sweet. Certainly nothing there that would (or should) cause people to spaz out, especially since Leonard and Penny didn't even once take this very seriously. They're very comfortable with each other, and in a good place. What's actually kinda sad is that the producers felt the need to pull out the sledgehammer and hammer home to some peoples' minds that, no, Sheldon and Penny will never become romantically attached, but I guess if some people haven't "gotten it" by now, they never will. At least it's now out there, on the record, in the canon, period, done, full stop.

I think we all know that the Shennies will see this as just another mere obstacle on the path the the union of Shenny that is supposed to be.  Frankly, the fact they had to do this is pretty sad, but it was a good episode.

It's incredible how positive the reactions to the episode are on the other forum--even from avowed Lenny fans.  As of a little while ago, I haven't read a single negative thing about the episode over there, including the zombie challenge part.

I know people like to dismiss it as "the lollipop guild", for being more positive or less critical, or something, but you know, it can be a lot more fun over there sometimes.

I don't see Penny's answers as any kind of doom-saying about the Lenny relationship.  It's just a funny contrast, IMO.  Leonard has always been mooney over her and though she obviously loves him, he has never been the kind of guy she would normally look at.

Heck, I have lots of dear friends, but I might want to have dinner with Robert Downey, Jr, myself.  But if you ask me on another day, if I'm being more serious, I might choose someone else.

I also think it's clear that Penny wasn't really doing much of a deep, personal analysis for many of those questions.  We all know the "Sunday School answer" as my friends from church would say.  She's supposed to say her ideal day would be spent with Leonard, her favorite person to have dinner with would be Leonard, etc., etc., but sometimes the truth is somewhat different.  I don't think Sheldon's ideal dinner date was Amy, either, and apparently, Amy would have said something other than Sheldon in the question she asked LEonard.  If Penny was his answer and Amy wanted to puke, doesn't that mean that "Sheldon" wouldn't be her answer either?

I think it's also about what your real personal choice would be.  If you were doing this quiz with a stranger, to see if you'd become more intimate, you wouldn't say that you'd want to have dinner with that person, or with some other SO (with whom you're not doing the quiz.)  IMO, the questions are about your personal choices, not about anyone else, so your ideal dinner guest might be some actor or politician or musician, or author, or whatever, and your perfect day would be about the things you like to do, regardless of whether or not anyone else you know would like to do them.  What might be ideal for you might not be ideal for any of your friends (or SO or whoever.)

• Like 6

(Too much text)

You make a lot of sense, thank you. I was thinking about this the whole day and your post made me realize that it's not that bad.

[snip]

3)  Leonard probably would be single but not necessarily since he had experience with women before Penny.

If it was not for Penny Leonard would likely never have gotten out of the relationship with Stephenie. He would be wearing the bird sweater still. Worse still I doubt TBBT would still be on the air.

Thanks, I thought I would be the only one. It wasn't really necessary to point it out. I mean, let them believe what they want, but this is just another punch in the face for the Shenny crowd. I don't ship them romantically at all, but I don't blame them for thinking a little different. I think it would've been better to just leave it to the imagination.

I have to wonder how much the producers get bombarded with Shenny stuff and they are sick and tired of it, hence writing this episode and having the characters speak specifically of what the other means to them.

• Like 2

I have to wonder how much the producers get bombarded with Shenny stuff and they are sick and tired of it, hence writing this episode and having the characters speak specifically of what the other means to them.

Probably quite a bit, and sadly, this probably won't deter the "romantic Shennys" one iota. As someone else said, they'll likely just see this as one more stumbling block on the road to Shenny's True Destiny. :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 3

I don't know, but there must be a hell lot of it.

Btw, is someone else having troubles with the notification system? I don't get a note when someone quotes my post, but the box in my profile settings is checked.

I don't know, but there must be a hell lot of it.

Btw, is someone else having troubles with the notification system? I don't get a note when someone quotes my post, but the box in my profile settings is checked.

Yeah, same here. I get like notifications but not quotes.

I was actually ok with the episode when I read the TR, but now that I've watched it...well..it was kinda creepy. It was ok up until the point where there were these uncomfortable silence moments between Sheldon and Penny. I don't know if that was on purpose or not, but it was weird and I didn't enjoy it one bit. 

• Like 1

Good one. Series 8 is getting better with each episode IMHO.

I liked the quote from Penny....."It's been 8 years....I can't remember a time when you guys weren't in my life"   ..........and then Sheldon......."I can!"

• Like 1

Good one. Series 8 is getting better with each episode IMHO.

I liked the quote from Penny....."It's been 8 years....I can't remember a time when you guys weren't in my life"   ..........and then Sheldon......."I can!"

I loved that line!

Penny is far too sexual for Sheldon.  However, I did see qualities in Sheldon that a girl like Penny would find attractive.  Sheldon is probably physically more attractive to Penny than Leonard.  But attraction is far more complex than simple physical traits.  Sheldon also is more self-confident or at least projected it to Penny (until last night).   

That said, Leonard and Penny's relationship is the crux of the show.  Leonard is more socially adapt than Sheldon.  He's also more not afraid of touching women.  He also cares about her deeply.  And Penny has evolved into a character that needs to not have the drama of the guys she had dated in the past.

I don't think that there's much about Sheldon that someone like Penny would find attractive except maybe the fact that he's tall.

Her favorite physical type in the past (and probably still true to some extent) was the toned "dumb guy from the gym".  She wasn't interested in personality as much as she was physical and sexual prowess.

Sheldon is far too pasty and weak and indoorsy.  (Jim may be less so, but Sheldon certainly is.)

Even now, as she's found that there's more to life than just a roll in the hay with the latest hot guy, since she's found what love is all about and has found that she loves Leonard, despite his not matching her favorite physical type, she's still probably going to always prefer the look of those other guys.

But even if Leonard isn't always the most self-confident guy, his level of confidence has gone up quite a bit since they restarted their relationship.  He can poke fun at himself and he can kind of put his foot down when he has to more than he used to be able to do.

Sheldon is confident in a different way, and I don't think it's the way that Penny might care about.  I don't think she's looking for self-confident, though she was a little turned on by "take-charge" Leonard.  Sheldon is "take charge" only in the sense that he wants what he wants.  He doesn't care if anyone else wants it or thinks it's a good idea, so I don't think Penny would find that attractive.

I don't think that they necessarily wrote this episode with the idea to react to the Shenny nonsense, but I think that they did take advantage of the opportunity to use the "intimacy quiz" to underscore what's always been true--the sibling/parent dynamic between Sheldon and Penny.

She's always been someone who could give him advice in certain areas, whether it's going on a date with Amy or telling her how he feels, or when he needs to apologize or defend her.

And I didn't find the maternal aspect to be creepy at all.  She's not changing his diaper or anything, but she has "mothered" him in simpler ways--and again, it's part of that explaining/advising kind of thing.

But if the writers can again show that there's nothing romantic between them, so much the better. ;)

• Like 3

I loved that line!

I don't think that there's much about Sheldon that someone like Penny would find attractive except maybe the fact that he's tall.

Her favorite physical type in the past (and probably still true to some extent) was the toned "dumb guy from the gym".  She wasn't interested in personality as much as she was physical and sexual prowess.

Sheldon is far too pasty and weak and indoorsy.  (Jim may be less so, but Sheldon certainly is.)

Even now, as she's found that there's more to life than just a roll in the hay with the latest hot guy, since she's found what love is all about and has found that she loves Leonard, despite his not matching her favorite physical type, she's still probably going to always prefer the look of those other guys.

But even if Leonard isn't always the most self-confident guy, his level of confidence has gone up quite a bit since they restarted their relationship.  He can poke fun at himself and he can kind of put his foot down when he has to more than he used to be able to do.

Sheldon is confident in a different way, and I don't think it's the way that Penny might care about.  I don't think she's looking for self-confident, though she was a little turned on by "take-charge" Leonard.  Sheldon is "take charge" only in the sense that he wants what he wants.  He doesn't care if anyone else wants it or thinks it's a good idea, so I don't think Penny would find that attractive.

I must applaud your realistic take on Sheldon here.

I loved this episode from start to finish I loved seeing Penny and Sheldon interacting with each other I have miss it I did not care at all for the zombie plot line Howard and Bernie scenes was cute and Howard almost made me cry again I did find it interesting that Penny knows Sheldon birthday before Amy  :popcorn:

IMO if you're in a "committed relationship" with someone they don't qualify as a dinner guest, so I agreed with Amy on the "puke" to Leonard's response.

It should even be implied that your SO would be around for the dinner with the dinner guest.

I also love, from a geeky point of vew, what they did as their take on the article and pare that inspired the episode. The original scientific study only postulated that two people, perfect strangers, would feel CLOSER after going through the excerise. Then some Lifestyle type writer tried to twist it into a "falling in love" ex cerise about eye staring. That Penny and Sheldon concluded they felt closer after doing the expertise, but not in love, rather bashed the article but proved the study. So that was a nice touch.

I think the thing you have to keep in mind is that this entire ordeal was meant as a distraction to Sheldon so they could surprise him for his birthday party.  So of course they bent the rules on this, since Sheldon is the only one that took it that seriously.

IMO if you're in a "committed relationship" with someone they don't qualify as a dinner guest, so I agreed with Amy on the "puke" to Leonard's response.

It should even be implied that your SO would be around for the dinner with the dinner guest.

Leonard's comeback should've been, "That seems harsh, your making Sheldon be a janitor AND your dinner guest?" :p 

I think the thing you have to keep in mind is that this entire ordeal was meant as a distraction to Sheldon so they could surprise him for his birthday party.  So of course they bent the rules on this, since Sheldon is the only one that took it that seriously.

Leonard's comeback should've been, "That seems harsh, your making Sheldon be a janitor AND your dinner guest?" :p

Waaa?