The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

816 The Intimacy Acceleration (February 26)

Your Episode Rating  

97 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I thought the episode was funny. My favourite part was Howardette. I also liked the zombie story cause we got to see Emily again!! I wish it was a bit more cause it felt a bit rushed. I also liked the Shenny scenes. Admittedly they were quite sweet and I agree with Lio that it didn't come off as harsh on the Shennies as I imagined. The staring was awkward but that's how it was meant to be. Favourite line Amy saying she would dine with the janitor!! Also (like koops told once I think) I totally imagined Sheldon proclaiming his love for Amy. Like with a loud voice he goes like "I Sheldon Lee Cooper proclaim my love for Amy Farrah Fowler". Also the explanation of the word pontificate(that was the word right?? And imagine it came from a Greek word lol) and how happy they were about it and Leonard ' s respond lol!!! For me it was a good episode I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I think the thing you have to keep in mind is that this entire ordeal was meant as a distraction to Sheldon so they could surprise him for his birthday party.  So of course they bent the rules on this, since Sheldon is the only one that took it that seriously.

[snip]

Perhaps you can help me out here.

What did you mean by "...this entire ordeal was meant as a distraction to Sheldon so they could surprise him for his birthday party."

Who meant it to be a distraction?

You know the experiment was underway before Penny discovered it was Sheldon's birthday?

Who bent the rules? Which rule? Do you mean they did not use strangers and that was bending the rules?

• Like 1

"...this entire ordeal was meant as a distraction to Sheldon so they could surprise him for his birthday party."

Who meant it to be a distraction?

You know the experiment was underway before Penny discovered it was Sheldon's birthday?

Who bent the rules? Which rule? Do you mean they did not use strangers and that was bending the rules?

Sheldon's friends when they EASILY agreed to let her go off and do this with him.

The idea that Penny was full of crap and lied about how neither her nor Amy knew when Sheldon's birthday was, is a foreign concept?

Yes the using strangers part.

Edited by meka3000

Sheldon's friends when they EASILY agreed to let her go off and do this with him.

The idea that Penny was full of crap and lied about how neither her nor Amy knew when Sheldon's birthday was is a foreign concept?

Sure, because there were scenes of Leonard, Amy and Raj after Sheldon and Penny went to Penny's apartment. They said nothing about a party and made other plans. Clearly they knew nothing. The only reasonable explanation is that Penny sent a text and since the zombie thing was over early the gang had time to put something together.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2

The idea that Penny was full of crap and lied about how neither her nor Amy knew when Sheldon's birthday was is a foreign concept?

Well in the episode it wasn't clearly stated that it meant as a distraction. Personally I thought Penny was genuinely surprised (though as you said it makes no sense cause that's not something you easily hide especially from people you work with). But I just think it was a poor excuse from the writer's side. I find your conclusion logical but I am gonna stick with what was said in the episode and assume Penny just texted the others when she found out just then. Having said that I think Lio's point was correct even if this was just a distraction. Penny did feel closer to Sheldon after the exercise but not in love.After all they really did take the test and I believe they answered truthfully.

Also, Amy and Leonard started their own experiment. That does not fit the distraction theory either. I'd say the distraction theory is busted.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Also, Amy and Leonard started their own experiment. That does not fit the distraction theory either. I'd say the distraction theory is busted.

They didn't start it at all.  They just did one question mockingly (with Raj in the same room no less) then decided to do something else BEFORE the experiment would end for Sheldon and Penny.

Sure, because there were scenes of Leonard, Amy and Raj after Sheldon and Penny went to Penny's apartment. They said nothing about a party and made other plans. Clearly they knew nothing. The only reasonable explanation is that Penny sent a text and since the zombie thing was over early the gang had time to put something together.

...Or the writers were holding their cards and decided NOT to tip their hand and reveal everything.

Edited by meka3000

They didn't start it at all.  They just did one question mockingly (with Raj in the same room no less) then decided to do something else BEFORE the experiment would end.

...Or the writers were holding their cards and decided NOT to tip their hand and reveal everything.

Well no Leonard seemed to answer openly and truthfully. It was Amy that gaged on her answer, just in Amy's typical way of responding to Leonard.

The writers could not have it both ways. If no one is talking birthday when Sheldon is out of ear shot there is no planned conspiracy. Face it the Zombie thing was expected to be a longer event.       No party was planned when they went out.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Well no Leonard seemed to answer openly and truthfully. It was Amy that gaged on her answer, just in Amy's typical way of responding to Leonard.

The writers could not have it both ways. If no one is talking birthday when Sheldon is out of ear shot there is no planned conspiracy. Face it the Zombie thing was expected to be a longer event.       No party was planned when they went out.

...and then they gave up easily.

Yes they could, there is NOTHING in the dialogue that suggests that they DIDN'T plan anything.  They knew the experiment would take awhile.

You think Penny would want to waste her night alone with Sheldon if there wasn't a good reason behind it?

I'm not surprised to read your reactions here and there, to me, it was a really good episode.

I loved the Shenny part and it can be weird coming from a strong Shamy shipper, things are clear now, Shenny exists as friends not as a couple.

The writers seems to give a reminder to people who forgot that nothing will ever happen between Sheldon and Penny.

They are both now commited in their relationship. It doesn't mean that they can't be close friends.

i'm impressed to see how Sheldon grew up this season, he opens up a bit more each episode and I love him that way.

So, no problem for me with the Shenny plot till they are both on the same page: brother and sister = ok for me.

Loved the first scene with Shamy, they seem so comfy together now, they're not afraid to express how they feel about each other and they even flirt even in front of the group. Strong couple, love how they evolve together too :-)

Also loved the Zombie puzzle thing and the scenes with Bernie and Howard.

I laughed a lot and I realize that being unspoiled for these kinds of episode is the best way to actually enjoy them and be surprised.

I love the show and as a Shamy shipper, I'm gonna be patient and see what the writers planned. I'm ready to be surprised

• Like 4

For the most part, I really liked this episode.

I liked when Sheldon said that he had already proclaimed his love for Amy. This really has been a banner year for Shamy. I enjoy this couple, but I can't help but wish the writers would be as generous with the Lenny relationship.

It was refreshing that neither Leonard nor Amy seemed threatened by the experiment. I laughed at Leonard's "Tag, you're it!"

I think it was only when Penny described her perfect day that I became annoyed. The writers just had to go for the funny at the expense of the sweet. Every once in a while they could have Penny say something nice about Leonard behind his back. She could have said, "Leonard and I sleep late, I do yoga while he makes us breakfast, and then we go to the beach where he reads a boring scientific journal and I work on my tan." I get that the writers have early on switched the old-fashioned gender roles in their relationship where she likes football and isn't good at romance, but it's starting to get a bit old. Kaley does a great job at looking lovingly at Johnny during some of their important scenes as Penny/Leonard, and we know they're committed and crazy in love, but a few less jokes at Leonard's expense would work better for me. Just my opinion, others may think I'm being a bit over sensitive about the matter.

The Zombie Room was fun and I wish there had been more to it. I had read the taping report, but I still jumped when the zombie popped out! I also laughed when the zombie was telling them to slow down and there was no refund for solving the puzzle too fast.

I interpreted the conversation between Sheldon and Penny as the writers still walking that line with Sheldon: he may be on the spectrum, but they're not going to label him. He states that Penny possesses an intelligence he envies. He is unable to tell when people are joking or laughing at him and when people are in a bad mood or mad at him. Then later Penny mentions she knows he has difficulty looking people in the eye. I may be wrong, but aren't the decreased ability to read nonverbal cues and difficulty with eye contact symptoms of aspergers? I'm sure someone here knows a lot more about it than I do and can set me straight if I'm way off base.

It got to me when Howard said he should have driven his mom to the airport. At least his last words to her were, "Love you.". My family has a habit of saying "I love you" at the end of every visit, phone or text conversation because my mom always says "you never know, it may be our last."

I think it's settled that there is absolutely no romantic attraction between Sheldon and Penny. The writers have made it cannon. I know that wont stop people from shipping them, and that's cool with me as long as they don't try to convince me Shenny should happen. For the record, no arguement could convince me! Lenny has been endgame since day one and now Shamy is following right behind.

On to the next great episode!

• Like 3

The shenny friendship is inconsequential to the shamy and Lenny relationships, my initial rage over the overuse of these two together has dissipated, especially in the love radiating between the shamy

Penny did not know it was Sheldon's birthday until the exercise was well underway. Therefore, this whole thing COULD NOT have been an elaborate distraction in order to set up a surprise party for Sheldon, because a surprise party for Sheldon could not have been planned in advance if nobody knew it was his birthday until the elaborate distraction was already underway. To claim otherwise is to assume facts not in evidence.

• Like 2

The shenny friendship is inconsequential to the shamy and Lenny relationships, my initial rage over the overuse of these two together has dissipated, especially in the love radiating between the shamy

would you be saying that if Sheldon had said Amy was dead instead of making the pancakes?

Sheldon never said that though so your question is irrelevant!

My point was that shamy showed how much in love they are right now

Edited by rachelshamyfan

Sheldon never said that though so your question is irrelevant!

My point was that shamy showed how much in love they are right now

true. but it was easier to proclaim his love for Amy than to have to stare in her eyes for four minutes. although he was willing to do it with Penny. Of course if they went with the dead line someone else would of tweeted F you to Prady.
  • Like 1

...and then they gave up easily.

Yes they could, there is NOTHING in the dialogue that suggests that they DIDN'T plan anything. They knew the experiment would take awhile.

You think Penny would want to waste her night alone with Sheldon if there wasn't a good reason behind it?

As Jim would say, if it's not on the page, it's not on the stage.

What you're trying to do is shoehorn something into place that wasn't there to begin with. I remember my high school theater teacher talking about how if someone grabs a gun from over the mantel and shoots someone in the third act of a play, well that gun had better be obvious over the mantel in the first act, and if your'e going to set up something like an implication that the quiz was just an excuse to get Sheldon out of the apartment for a surprise party, then you have to establish that that's what the other characters are planning all along.

Compare this to the Peanut Reaction. They decided to throw Leonard a surprise party, so they show the characters planning it. They figure out how to get Leonard out of the apartment, etc.

If the whole point of this episode was to throw Sheldon a surprise party, then we would have had scenes of the other characters making preparations.

Penny wanted to take the quiz with Sheldon because she wanted to make him squirm when it came to answering personal questions. That's why she volunteered. If the aim had simply been to get him out of the apartment, Leonard could have taken him to the movies or Amy could have had him over for dinner, or whatever. As they would have spelled out in the episode that that was the reason they were getting him out of the apartment.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 2

Penny texting her friends wasn't "ON THE STAGE" either.  By your same token THAT eliminates that theory.

Nothing in The Recombination Hypothesis suggested that Leonard was daydreaming different scenarios UNTIL the ending either.

Penny did not know it was Sheldon's birthday until the exercise was well underway. Therefore, this whole thing COULD NOT have been an elaborate distraction in order to set up a surprise party for Sheldon, because a surprise party for Sheldon could not have been planned in advance if nobody knew it was his birthday until the elaborate distraction was already underway. To claim otherwise is to assume facts not in evidence.

And yet that hasn't stopped people from ASSUMING Penny texted her friends, yet we never saw that.  So why is it okay to assume one, but not the other?

• Like 3

Nice attempt at deflection, but you have yet to offer any proof of your assertions. Either prove what you're claiming, or admit that you're talking out of your ass. I'm not going to humor your assumptions of facts that are not in evidence.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

What you're trying to do is shoehorn something into place that wasn't there to begin with. I remember my high school theater teacher talking about how if someone grabs a gun from over the mantel and shoots someone in the third act of a play, well that gun had better be obvious over the mantel in the first act, and if your'e going to set up something like an implication that the quiz was just an excuse to get Sheldon out of the apartment for a surprise party, then you have to establish that that's what the other characters are planning all along.

Compare this to the Peanut Reaction. They decided to throw Leonard a surprise party, so they show the characters planning it. They figure out how to get Leonard out of the apartment, etc.

If the whole point of this episode was to throw Sheldon a surprise party, then we would have had scenes of the other characters making preparations.

Penny wanted to take the quiz with Sheldon because she wanted to make him squirm when it came to answering personal questions. That's why she volunteered. If the aim had simply been to get him out of the apartment, Leonard could have taken him to the movies or Amy could have had him over for dinner, or whatever. As they would have spelled out in the episode that that was the reason they were getting him out of the apartment.

I have to agree.  I think that Penny sent a quick text to the gang, after she found out, to let them know the date and the whole 'Surprise' thing was a spur of the moment thing.  I think the whole plan was Penny wanted to pull Sheldon's chain, again like a sister, and put him on the spot, that is the way it came across to Leoanrd too as you can see the way he acted.  What bothers me is the writers seemed to want to make it into a very long intimate time of friendship between Penny and Sheldon, when they can't seem to do something that long and intimate with Leoanrd and Penny, the newely engaged couple.

• Like 2

Nice attempt at deflection, but you have yet to offer any proof of your assertions. Either prove what you're claiming, or admit that you're talking out of your ass. I'm not going to humor your assumptions of facts that are not in evidence.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

No one here has offered PROOF that Penny texted her friends to throw a surprise party, so why am I obligated to do the same?

Also again, why is it okay to assume one thing that is NOT IN EVIDENCE, but the other one is deemed ridiculous?

Nothing in the episode clearly contradicts the idea that they might've been planning this and that the gang decided to bide some time.

Look choose to believe it or not.  It doesn't matter to me either way, because it doesn't affect the enjoyment of the episode in my opinion.

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 1