The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

816 The Intimacy Acceleration (February 26)

Your Episode Rating  

97 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

The Big Bang Theory Season 8 Episode 16- The Intimacy Acceleration- Review

The season may be closer to the end than the start now, but TBBT finally seems to be hitting it's stride, churning out consistently amusing episodes,  but unfortunately not producing anything really special.

This episode is a case in point. A few nice Shenny scenes, some quick Howardette stuff, and some filler involving the rest of the characters. Enough to make a good episode, but not anything memorable, or indeed special.

Shenny took absolute dominance here, and deservedly so because the other two plots were both quite bland by comparison. The experiment idea was a strange one but somehow it worked, and Sheldon and Penny's answers to the questions were predictable yet funny. The staring into each other's eyes bit was cute and it was good to see Sheldon and Penny address their relationship as like that of a brother and a sister.

As for the Leonard/Amy/Raj/Emily stuff, it really was just basic filler. The zombie's lines were strangely flat and should have been funnier, but once the zombie has come out of the storage unit it all felt so predictable and boring. It did give me time to recognise how badly Emily doesn't fit in with this cast though, she has far less vibrant a personality than any of the other characters do (even Amy and Bernadette in their early episodes) and just isn't the right girl for Raj.

As for Howard and Bernadette, having them stuck at the airport did seem like a good way to crowbar them in and the jokes were mostly funny, especially Bernadette's 'either way, we're leaving with a dead woman' although Howard's over-dramatic reaction when they found the urn did creep me out a little bit. Good acting as usual on Simon's part but I wonder what he thinks when he reads some of the scripts!

Unrealistic Sets Dept.: The 'airport' which Howard and Bernadette were in didn't look anything like an airport! It was just one small room with a small desk and a couple of seats. Couldn't Simon and Melissa have gone to a real airport and filmed the scenes there?

Best Line: Howard: 'So, your job is to find peoples' lost baggage, and you've narrowed my mom's lost ashes down to... the earth'

Performance of the Week: Kaley Cuoco. Good interactions and didn't let Jim dominate the scene. It certainly wasn't The Sheldon Show this week.

Score: 8/10 (for the fourth episode running!)

If love can now be artificially created using experiments and mind tricks, what is left that we can't manipulate and turn into something which can be consumed?

Whilst it can be used for comic effect and made for a good TBBT plot, this experiment is wrong on an ethical level.

• Like 1

Back someplace in all these posts someone (Lionne I think) pointed out the study this episode was likely based on was not about making people love each other. If I remember correctly it was more about people more of a connection or intimacy but not necessarily of the romantic kind.

Aron's study, the model for the 36-question love manual, actually set out a method for "creating closeness." In fact, the researchers note that the goal of their experiment, which established "sustained, escalating, reciprocal, personalistic self-disclosure" between subjects, was to "develop a temporary feeling of closeness, not an actual ongoing relationship." 

Indeed, two straight bros, two coworkers or even a brother and sister might engage in the 36-question test and find that it draws them closer to each other as people, but doesn't fundamentally change the nature of their relationship. It certainly doesn't make them fall in love.

That was from http://mic.com/articles/108470/36-questions-can-t-make-you-fall-in-love-they-can-give-you-something-even-better

News headline grab attention but they often don't give a good refection of the real story.

Shocking! People who spend an hour or so focused on and talking to each other and introspecting feel closer to one another than they did previously. Who would have thought?

• Like 3

So, one of my friends just invited me to go with them to an escape room. I had no idea these things actually existed!

I'm super pumped now!

Did anybody else notice, when they were entering the escape room, the woman in the lab coat said:-

You’re about to enter the lab of the late Dr. David Saltzberg.

Sheldon says he couldn't eat, while looking at toes, yet, in The Date Night Variable, he eats while talking to Raj, who is dressed in sandals.

Why would Howard have his mother cremated when (aside from it being contrary to the rules of his faith), he and his mother have:-

a primo double cemetery plot at Mt. Sinai right near the guy who played Mr. Roper on Three’s Company.

48 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Why would Howard have his mother cremated when (aside from it being contrary to the rules of his faith), he and his mother have:-

a primo double cemetery plot at Mt. Sinai right near the guy who played Mr. Roper on Three’s Company.

This is often done when the death occurs far from home.  Shipping the body in a coffin is costly.

10 hours ago, Lady in Red said:

This is often done when the death occurs far from home.  Shipping the body in a coffin is costly.

I don't think the distance from Florida to Egypt, is massively different to the distance from Pasadena to Egypt.

4 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I don't think the distance from Florida to Egypt, is massively different to the distance from Pasadena to Egypt.

What does Egypt have to do with it?  Florida to Pasadena is from one end of the country to another.  That can be costly.   And I think it's a way for the writers to avoid "a funeral" episode.  On one hand, I think it would've been funny under different circumstances but since the ONLY reason Mrs. Wolowitz died is because of the actresses real life death, they just wanted something simple and least painful.  Yes they're all professional actors but this was also their close friend.

19 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

What does Egypt have to do with it?

If she's to be buried at Mt. Sinai, she would obviously have to be flown there, probably direct from Florida.

Judaism requires the funeral and burial to take place as soon as possible, so Howard would fly to Florida, collect the coffin, and fly straight to Mt. Sinai, for the funeral and burial.

Given he has a double cemetery plot, for himself and his mother, he wouldn't (even if he had her cremated) take the ashes back to Pasadena, let alone promise to "keep you close for the rest of my life."

Edited by Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Stephen, Mount Sinai is the name of a chain of Jewish cemeteries.   She was planning on being buried in the Los Angeles area, not in Egypt.

www.mountsinaiparks.org

• Like 2

Sorry, I didn't realize that.

My friend is being taken to Israel to be buried, so I assumed Howard and Mrs Wolowitz were being buried at the actual Mount Sinai.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

What does Egypt have to do with it?  

Kathy, our Stephen Hawking is thinking of the original mountain, where Moses received the Ten Commandments.  I'm guessing the cemetery chain is less commonly known in the UK.

• Like 2

Surely Howard and Penny must know his birthday?

They were both present, when he applied for his Learners Permit.

Also, Penny was with him, when he went to court, for jumping a red light.

5 hours ago, Lady in Red said:

I'm guessing the cemetery chain is less commonly known in the UK.

I don't think it even exists in the UK.