The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

817 The Colonization Application (March 5)

Your Episode Rating  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

There's an argument going on that I'm not involved in....where's my popcorn??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The whole running joke in the Lenny story is "Leonard is bad at sports. Leonard is bad in bed. Heck Leonard is just bad at everything! Isn't it cute that SUCH a pathetic guy can get a girl like THAT?"

Meanwhile, I know of relatively few women IRL who would kick Johnny out of bed. It just makes me feel sad for Leonard and makes me enjoy that relationship much less.

If your talking about JUST THIS EPISODE on it's own, I don't see where the Leonard is bad at sports and bed complaint is coming from, Penny being the one that dominated is ISN'T THE SAME THING.  I also don't remember Penny telling Leonard that he was BAD in their second try.  That second time where she told him, I beat you at this too, was her playfully mocking him by using the same words she used at the beginning of the episode, just like he did.

Were not talking about Johnny Galecki in real life.  We're talking about the character that he's playing Leonard Hofstadter.

• Like 1

Sure he can't read things or understand BEFORE he has done something.  That is the work in progress part.  But the fact that he can understand after he has done something upsetting is a HUGE step for him.   He made mistakes over and over before there as well.  

I'd probably agree with you IF all of his friends didn't tell him that Amy would be upset with him.  We've seen him take his friends opinions seriously before, why wouldn't he here?

I don't remember him making a "life changing decision" like going to Mars without telling anyone before.

Also saying so and so is an abusive jerk to EVERYONE not just his significant other, doesn't suddenly make those problems with the significant other disappear or not put the jerk in a good light. Maybe I would be a LITTLE more forgiving of Sheldon IF all of his friends HADN'T told him that Amy would be upset with her. That makes it sound like his friends are more in tune with Amy's feelings than he is.

I'm willing to make some allowances with Shamy. After all this relationship is anything BUT normal (they use a relationship agreement for crying out loud), and on some level Amy KNOWS what she's getting into with Sheldon here. But if he keeps repeatedly making the mistake of not considering HER FEELINGS in major moments like THIS and the season 7 finale, why does Amy suddenly think things will turn around? This decision wasn't him making a hardy financial decision like buying a car without talking to her about it. THIS was him considering leaving the planet forever WITHOUT HER!

Can you HONESTLY guarantee this kind of thing with Sheldon won't happen again? I've been given little to no reason to believe so.

I'm not saying the Shamy relationship is broken beyond repair or anything, but seeing Sheldon make these same mistakes WITH HER time after time. It just feels like Sheldon is allergic to the learning curve when it comes to considering her feelings. It makes it hard to get behind the decisions Amy makes of tolerating has actions.

All this would be absolutely valid if we were talking about my real life best friend and how he treats his girlfriend. But it's a comedy show and we are talking about two TV characters who are consistently written as different from 'the norm' having a less than regular relationship. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. We all watch tv and movies to make personal connections and try to relate to real life. But at the end of the day, being surprised and frustrated that Sheldon made a less than empathetic decision affecting the Shamy? Growth or not, happened before this, will happen again. It's his story. Free to discuss and disagree, Shamy vs et al, but it ain't gonna change the story of Shamy.

• Like 2

I am a Shamy fan and I have to say I agree with Meka3000 on this.   How many times do we watch Sheldon just completely disregard Amy when he makes these big decisions regarding HIS future?  The writers are basically telling us that in Sheldon's mind - Amy does NOT factor in his future.  I think today was the first time that Amy honestly and directly addressed this issue with Sheldon.  I do not think for one minute that him running away this summer wasn't foremost in her mind.  Amy let him know that he hurt her and removed herself from the situation so it resonated with Sheldon that he upset her.  Score Amy!  But I still do not think he got it.  Sure he invited her to come along and I think that was only done to stop her from being upset.  But like you said it will happen again because he STILL didn't get the part that when you are in a relationship that type of decision should be made together.  Sheldon has such a reckless disregard for how Amy feels about him that it is almost painful to watch.  This is not FUNNY for me.

I think I was more offended that EVERYONE in the group knew about the trip to Mars and Sheldon did NOT tell Amy even though they all told him she would be upset.  He still did not tell Amy.  He told the turtle and Amy just happen to hear it.

I am sick of the 'Sheldon is just being Sheldon' line.  True - Sheldon treats all of them like crap sometimes - hell most times.  Amy being his 'girlfriend' should carry some consideration.  He prides himself on being able to learn any and everything about any and everything  How hard can it be to learn some basics about how to treat your girlfriend? 

In the end we got some Shamy goodness but I must confess these handholds and hugs are not having the impact they used to have with me anymore.  I am holding firm but this ship may be sailing away from me and I hate this because there is so much potential being wasted.

• Like 5

Just saw the episode. I found it all very entertaining. Liked Emily's smile at the end.

I don't really think sending people to mars makes much sense but I found Sheldon and Amy's discussion entertaining.

I thought the paint thing was unnecessary but I guess it gave Leonard and Penny something to do.

• Like 1

I had no problem with shamy in this one, its not like Sheldon would ever be accepted but IF he was then he wants Amy to join him and they can have martian kids!

They had a little blip and it got resolved, happy cuddly shamy

• Like 3

I am a Shamy fan and I have to say I agree with Meka3000 on this.   How many times do we watch Sheldon just completely disregard Amy when he makes these big decisions regarding HIS future?  The writers are basically telling us that in Sheldon's mind - Amy does NOT factor in his future.  I think today was the first time that Amy honestly and directly addressed this issue with Sheldon.  I do not think for one minute that him running away this summer wasn't foremost in her mind.  Amy let him know that he hurt her and removed herself from the situation so it resonated with Sheldon that he upset her.  Score Amy!  But I still do not think he got it.  Sure he invited her to come along and I think that was only done to stop her from being upset.  But like you said it will happen again because he STILL didn't get the part that when you are in a relationship that type of decision should be made together.  Sheldon has such a reckless disregard for how Amy feels about him that it is almost painful to watch.  This is not FUNNY for me.

I think I was more offended that EVERYONE in the group knew about the trip to Mars and Sheldon did NOT tell Amy even though they all told him she would be upset.  He still did not tell Amy.  He told the turtle and Amy just happen to hear it.

I am sick of the 'Sheldon is just being Sheldon' line.  True - Sheldon treats all of them like crap sometimes - hell most times.  Amy being his 'girlfriend' should carry some consideration.  He prides himself on being able to learn any and everything about any and everything  How hard can it be to learn some basics about how to treat your girlfriend? 

In the end we got some Shamy goodness but I must confess these handholds and hugs are not having the impact they used to have with me anymore.  I am holding firm but this ship may be sailing away from me and I hate this because there is so much potential being wasted.

I have to agree with a lot of what you put here.  The fact he told EVERYONE but Amy tells me he knew she wouldn't like it, and he did it anyway.  Why?  He had to have thought about NOT telling her.  In fact you're right, he didn't tell her.  He opened up to the turtle.  Hmmm...Sheldon is a piece of work when it comes to relationships, but to tell EVERYONE AND NOT tell Amy smacked me hard.  

However, I loved the way he hugged her and then bent his head while he held the hug and said they could do the application together. I also like that his eyes lit up when Amy said they could have Martian babies.  He is still avoiding all intimacy issues with her.  But baby steps.  A turtle really was a good metaphor for their relationship.

• Like 2

I really just came in here to say that I thought Chuck's vanity card was perfect.  They don't need to say anything about him in the episode, but this tribute was extremely appropriate.

• Like 6

Yah, I am well aware of that site but as I have said before this is like the Beatles tune You Can Drive My Car. Will the technology be ready in 10 years to send a crew on a one way trip? I think this is about fund raising. And if they have a crew "thats a start". I doubt anyone is going but robots. Robots that don't need to worry about getting cancer due to radiation exposure, they don't eat and they don't need oxygen.

Yah, I am well aware of that site but as I have said before this is like the Beatles tune You Can Drive My Car. Will the technology be ready in 10 years to send a crew on a one way trip? I think this is about fund raising. And if they have a crew "thats a start". I doubt anyone is going but robots. Robots that don't need to worry about getting cancer due to radiation exposure, they don't eat and they don't need oxygen.

DJ, I think it would be prudent to put our eggs in two baskets, just as a matter of principle. Whether its the best use of scarce resources I don't know, but we don't do a great job of allocation anyway. Current systems of allocation suck at managing externalities and generational timeframes. That said, considering the risks to early adopters of human extraterrestrial colonisation, I'd be happy to let Sheldon break the ground.

• Like 1

I don't think the Lenny story was rushed, but how much can you do with bodypainting sex? You can't really show any of it onscreen. I really liked their banter over the miniature golf game and then the way they were kind of dreading what they thought Sheldon and Amy were going to say.

Then I liked the way they were talking about going to "the dirty store" and Michael's, and Penny's remark about his socks. The socks in bed thing has been driving me crazy since I started watching this show.

Anyway, I thought their storyline was cute. But again, there's no rule that says the episode time needs to be divided equally between each of the couples. It depends on the story that's being told. Next week they'll be focusing a lot on Howard mourning his mother and the thing about the paper getting published, so those stories will take the focus. So the focus for this episode was on the Shamy story (hence the title) more than the sex painting.

You know, when there have been Lenny centric stories, I don't remember anyone saying there was "too much Lenny" in an episode. And I didn't see anything negative for Lenny in this episode--they were smooching and making sex paintings. What more do people want for them at this stage? An argument? A break up? Surely not.

I think it would be something he'd be so excited about doing that he would do it without thinking of anyone else. He obviously had no qualms about leaving Leonard, or presumably his mother or his Meemaw. I think that he was perhaps not really thinking realistically about what it would mean to go on such an expedition, just like Howard was excited about going to space (and didn't consult Bernadette in advance) and hadn't thought about what it would be like to go through training and then to be in that rocket, etc.

I think my problem with the Lenny story was how it was paced.  The screen time, dialogue, nor execution gave us enough to really resonate with us on an emotionally narrative level.  They have one bad sexual experience, and fear they are getting old.  That's fine as a premise for a plot point.  Lots of couples go through stuff like this.  But 30-40 minutes later (false alarm) nothing bad has come of it, suddenly they are fine again, not exactly a compelling narrative.  Don't get me wrong I appreciated this on a visual level, seeing them be intimate.  But it wasn't done in a way that this kind of plot was given a chance to breathe.  

Okay, I laughed at the fake out with Leonard's, "almost there, just like that." Only to reveal that they were both in the bathroom dealing with body paint being in Leonard's eye. :)

The thing that bothered me with the Shamy plot was Sheldon's friends telling him that Amy would be upset with her, and he STILL didn't take a hint.

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 2

DJ, I think it would be prudent to put our eggs in two baskets, just as a matter of principle. Whether its the best use of scarce resources I don't know, but we don't do a great job of allocation anyway. Current systems of allocation suck at managing externalities and generational timeframes. That said, considering the risks to early adopters of human extraterrestrial colonisation, I'd be happy to let Sheldon break the ground.

His closest friends wanted to kill him on the polar expedition you will remember from The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation.

No one would send Sheldon to mars. He would never get past the personality testing..

I think my problem with the Lenny story was how it was paced.  The screen time, dialogue, nor execution gave us enough to really resonate with us on an emotionally narrative level.  They have one bad sexual experience, and fear they are getting old.  That's fine as a premise for a plot point.  Lots of couples go through stuff like this.  But 30-40 minutes later (false alarm) nothing bad has come of it, suddenly they are fine again, not exactly a compelling narrative.  Don't get me wrong I appreciated this on a visual level, seeing them be intimate.  But it wasn't done in a way that this kind of plot was given a chance to breathe.  

Okay, I laughed at the fake out with Leonard's, "almost there, just like that." Only to reveal that they were both in the bathroom dealing with body paint being in Leonard's eye. :)

The thing that bothered me with the Shamy plot was Sheldon's friends telling him that Amy would be upset with her, and he STILL didn't take a hint.

Sheldon is too arrogant for his own good. He thinks he is smarter than all his friends put together.

• Like 4

Awesome episode!  Loved it!!  Finally all FOUR couples are together and actually acting like COUPLES!!  :D  Lets break it down shall we.

1. SHAMY = They had the cutest moments in this episode for me because not only do they end up holding hands and hugging like its totally natural and fun for them now, but they are also planning a future together for real.  No more Sheldon just thinking about himself and what he wants and ignoring Amy's feelings about everything.  He actually got it that she was upset that he didn't tell her about his planned trip to Mars, and invited her to come with him. Thats how much she means to him now that he can't live without her even on another planet.  <3 <3 <3 My Shamy-loving heart is bursting!  Even more so his tone has totally changed with her, while in past he would sound very condescending and arrogant, now he genuinely sounds like he cares even when he disagrees with her and he actually thought about what kind of tea to make her knowing she was upset instead of demanding she make him some because he was the one who got his finger hurt by that turtle so I'm glad Sheldon is finally acting like more of a MAN about things!  No more whining like a baby when he gets hurt instead he took care of his "woman" and made sure to include her in his future plans and even wanted to potentially procreate on Mars and have Martian babies someday .  Yep SHAMY is in it for the long haul, they are going get married someday and Amy is going to eventually break down all of Sheldon's intimacy walls until he's finally ready to give her everything mind, BODY and heart ;)

2.  RAMILY-  Finally some real progress is being made in this relationship as well, they get so little screen time together it was hard to tell whether or not this relationship was going anywhere or would just fizzle out with Emily never being mentioned again, but NOPE!  Not this time. Emily has won me over hook, line and sinker.  She manages to bring a new character to the show t hat we haven't seen before, a Pretty Smart girl who is into scary disturbing stuff and may actually be able to finally get Raj to come out of his comfort zone.  I think with Emily, Raj could finally stop being such a fraidy cat and grow a lot more confident and manly.  He knows she may have skeletons in her closet for real and he still stayed in bed with her.  She knew he was snooping around and instead of breaking up with him and breaking his heart, she forgave him and made love to him.  Yep this one's a Keeper for sure.  I actually think it be kind of hysterical if RAMILY end up getting engaged or even married or moving in together before LENNY and SHAMY do.   They are the newest couple, yet already seem right for each other and don't have to make a big deal out of the little things, but just move on from them and enjoy themselves even when its scary.  Plus I just love to see looks on Leonard, Penny and Amy's faces if they found out RAMILY were engaged or moving in together by end of the season, it might make them super jealous, but it also perhaps force them to start accepting that everyone moves at their own pace and they don't have to be like other couples or do things in same time frame as other couples but can actually go at their own pace.  I like where each of relationships are at, we have one married couple, one engaged couple, one couple who act like they're married already even though they haven't even had sex yet and one that is fresh and new with tons of potential going forward.  I just hope they can find a way to add more interesting aspects to Emily's personality besides that she likes to make disturbing comments and do scary things.

3.  LENNY - was on fire tonight.  This couple has seriously being lacking in the romance department for awhile.  Its not good when it looks like Sheldon and Penny last week had a more intimate relationship than LENNY who are engaged.  Its great that this week they turned that around and actually did their own type of experimenting...in bed.  I know it may seem like LENNY are all about the sex, but I see it as they are a couple who want to keep the spark alive in their relationship even after all this time.  They could just settle for boring average sex, but no they actually made an effort to do something out of the box and enjoy themselves and you can tell that they still love each other very much they just express it differently than the others by literally doing it on a canvas.  SHAMY do it by getting a turtle together,  Howardette do it by sharing quality snooping time together, and Emily and Raj like solving puzzles together like last week, but LENNY really is into having sex with each other.  It may be shallow to some, but at least its doubtful they will end up having a sexless marriage no way not these two.  They will fight and then make up on a table, go play outside then go take a shower together and have sex, eat dinner, drink wine and then have sex again on Sheldon's spot lol.. They will always keep their own intimacy alive that way, and it works for them.  :)

4.  Howardette-  Next week seems to be more Howard/Bernadette focused and from looks of things quite emotional episode.  Glad they are continuing to show love and support for Mrs. Wolowitz and not just forgetting about her character too quickly.  I may need a box of tissues for first time to watch a TBBT episode though cause I lost my mom for real last year and my stepfather this past Saturday so this whole storyline for Howard touches me a lot because of that.  I love how supportive Bernadette is even when Howard acts like a child and goes off and plays video games while she does all the real hard work doing their taxes.  I love how she had his back last week at the airport when they lost his mom's ashes.  I think these two are most stable grounded couple on the show.  I do wonder though now if they will move back into Howard's mom's house, sell the house or just keep letting Stuart live in it. 

Overall, not the funniest episode at all, but I don't care about that.  It was one of very few episodes that made me feel like the show is moving things forward for everyone and not making one step forward two steps back for the sake of a joke.  Jokes are great, but I think TBBT is slowly turning into more of a comedy/drama instead of just pure comedy.  I know a lot of people won't like that, but too bad.  Life is full of changes and drama can be just as entertaining as comedy.  As long as they keep the couples together and maintain some sense of humor throughout it all then I'm okay with more emotional and dramatic storylines because it means they are maturing and not just repeating themselves doing same ten jokes over and over again.  I hope next week's episode has just as much emotional reverence for Mrs. Wolowitz's passing as it does humor, maybe even more so cause not everything needs to be a big joke or funny to be good and entertaining.  Just need to keep it moving forward.

Edited by Superlovelexi
  • Like 3

Sheldon is too arrogant for his own good. He thinks he is smarter than all his friends put together.

Except for all those times that he has gone to his friends and asked them for advice on how to deal with his personal problems.

• Like 1

I think you were trying to milk way too much out of the Lenny story. It wasn't about them having a "bad sexual experience" and I don't think it was supposed to be anything other than funny. They think they're going to do this kinky sex painting, only to realize they have pretty plain vanilla sex and that it doesn't result in the wild painting they assumed they'd make. They weren't dissatisfied with their sexual performance, but only with how it translated onto the canvas.

It wasn't supposed to be some deep treatise on the quality of their sex life.

• Like 4

I enjoyed the episode.

Loved the Shamy hug so much :wub: And the handholding before that :wub: So sweet!

And I laughed about Amys reaction " That´s what I said" (Mayims delivery was just perfect!) *LOL*
Penny & Leonard were so adorable! Loved the body painting it was fun *LOL*
Oh and Sheldons video *LOL*

Raj and Emily were good too. The end was the best *LOL*

And I loved the wonderful dedication to the wondeful Leonard Nimoy at the end! Bravo Chuck Lorre!

Edited by BlackWhiteRose
  • Like 2

I actually understand the complaints and criticism about how thoughtless Sheldon can be toward Amy. What I don't get is the double standard comparing the way Amy is treated to the way Leonard is treated. Take the episode tonight, for example. The whole running joke in the Lenny story is "Leonard is bad at sports. Leonard is bad in bed. Heck Leonard is just bad at everything! Isn't it cute that SUCH a pathetic guy can get a girl like THAT?"

Meanwhile, I know of relatively few women IRL who would kick Johnny out of bed. It just makes me feel sad for Leonard and makes me enjoy that relationship much less.

The difference Penny isnt treating  Leonard badly.   Sheldon is treating Amy badly. Deliberately or not  Amy is still being taken for granted.  Leonard does only one position ? Does Penny make him feel bad for that ? Nope they try  again...and again ...and agian

• Like 1