The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

817 The Colonization Application (March 5)

Your Episode Rating  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Obviously, neither Sheldon nor Amy can go to Mars now, but by the time the series' finale rolls around (season 10? 12? 15?), wouldn't it be a superb way to end a show that is so tied to science and science fiction, than to have the newly married Sheldon and Amy blast off in a rocket on their way to colonize Mars? I envision the rest of the gang watching on TV as they did for Howard's take-off (with Sheldon's and Amy's couch spots vacant, of course). The series' finale needs something really big and, for me, this would do it.

• Like 1

Obviously, neither Sheldon nor Amy can go to Mars now, but by the time the series' finale rolls around (season 10? 12? 15?), wouldn't it be a superb way to end a show that is so tied to science and science fiction, than to have the newly married Sheldon and Amy blast off in a rocket on their way to colonize Mars? I envision the rest of the gang watching on TV as they did for Howard's take-off (with Sheldon's and Amy's couch spots vacant, of course). The series' finale needs something really big and, for me, this would do it.

I dunno, that seems a little over the top, even for a Chuck Lorre show. :)

I enjoyed the episode a lot.  One of my favorites of this season for obvious reason.  I actually enjoyed all the couples in their own situations & what stage in their relationships they are at.

From Bernadette & Howard---obviously very settled, happy & married.  Her doing the taxes while he plays video games.  At this point neither are bothered by each other.  They are the definition of the "old married couple" in this episode

Then to Lenny----they are on the road to being married but still don't want to give up the spice.  They are in that awkward phase of most relationships when you realize how boring things are getting, lets get things back to the fun again.  I've been through this myself with my husband.

Next is Shamy---these two are the definition of turtle's pace.  A lot was revealed here and I went further into the stuff on the Shamy board.  But pure bliss how it all ended. 

Then to the novice couple of Emily & Raj---obviously they are the newest being he was "snooping" around and all.  And they forgave each other and ended up in bed together.  So typical new relationship ways to fix a problem.  I love her freak card on this one.

So this episode to me highlight the roads it takes to get from the beginning to the end if that makes sense.

• Like 7

I enjoyed the episode a lot.  One of my favorites of this season for obvious reason.  I actually enjoyed all the couples in their own situations & what stage in their relationships they are at.

From Bernadette & Howard---obviously very settled, happy & married.  Her doing the taxes while he plays video games.  At this point neither are bothered by each other.  They are the definition of the "old married couple" in this episode

Then to Lenny----they are on the road to being married but still don't want to give up the spice.  They are in that awkward phase of most relationships when you realize how boring things are getting, lets get things back to the fun again.  I've been through this myself with my husband.

Next is Shamy---these two are the definition of turtle's pace.  A lot was revealed here and I went further into the stuff on the Shamy board.  But pure bliss how it all ended. 

Then to the novice couple of Emily & Raj---obviously they are the newest being he was "snooping" around and all.  And they forgave each other and ended up in bed together.  So typical new relationship ways to fix a problem.  I love her freak card on this one.

So this episode to me highlight the roads it takes to get from the beginning to the end if that makes sense.

That's a really great analysis.  I hadn't thought of it that way.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the episode.

My only quibble in the Shamy part of the entire thing was the fact that Sehldon told everyone else and not Amy.  I think she had a right to be miffed.  That being said though, I found the rest very believable as they tried to work through the issue.  I was proud that Amy didn't let it go.  By now, Sheldon should be getting at least that much.

I haven't complained about Lenny re: romance intimacy as I have seen a strong couple on screen.  Then there is an episode like last night that really made me how see much that sort of affection was really lacking with these two.  I don't think every epi. needs to be about sex or even super touchy feelybut they were really close last night in all of their scese...even holding hand during the Shamy announcement.  I wonder how hard can it be to throw in a kiss here or there, or other signs of affection...hug, touching, etc.    I also was thrilled that Penny wants to go the dirty store with Leonard.  Sounds like she was really into that.  I agree with the poster that suggested a daytrip for two if Leonard wants to go outside of Pasadena.  Also I was proud of Leonard for doing this.  All of this just reinforces how strong Lenny are!

Howardette:  They are in a good place and too very believable that she does the taxes while he plays games.  Loved too that they decided to stay on the line and eavesdrop on the Rajily. 

And for me (I was completely surprised by my reaction), Rajily stole the show.  Despite her creepiness and dark undertone, Emily is just cute.  I liked her and Raj's interactions and how they were able to work through their issues and still end the night together in bed.  Even if she creeped Raj out with her closet line.  The grin on her face said it all. She knew she got him.  Loved it.  This fan would be happy to see her a bit more.  It could be interesting to see if she assimilates into the group or not as a future storyline?! 

Loved the vanity card re: Nimoy too so fitting!

All my opinion, of course...

Edited by Denise07
  • Like 3

To add, I also enjoyed the salute to Nimoy.  That was perfection.

As for the comments of the frustrations that Sheldon told everybody about Mars and not Amy, and that he was warned she would be upset to me reads as a set-up with how this episode went.  I don't expect Sheldon to wake up a changed man.  And yes, he didn't first think of her or her reaction, but he did recognize she was upset, tried to make her feel better, and was even willing to remove his application.  To me, that's a first!!  So again, you have to take your time with Sheldon, but this episode showed huge growth for him.  And kudos to her for standing up for herself without any nerves about him freaking out. 

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 3

That "gotcha" grin of hers at the end did it for me. Bet Raj won't be snooping around her things again for a long, long time. :) Emily is great for Raj, she keeps him on his toes and his new-to-a-relationship over-eagerness in check.

As for the comments of the frustrations that Sheldon told everybody about Mars and not Amy, and that he was warned she would be upset to me reads as a set-up with how this episode went.  I don't expect Sheldon to wake up a changed man.  And yes, he didn't first think of her or her reaction, but he did recognize she was upset, tried to make her feel better, and was even willing to remove his application.  To me, that's a first!!  So again, you have to take your time with Sheldon, but this episode showed huge growth for him.  And kudos to her for standing up for herself without any nerves about him freaking out. 

Yeah, but think about it. Even if you're completely clueless about relationships and personal interaction, I'd still expect you to at least reconsider your actions if five or more people are all telling you the same thing. Even if you're Sheldon. :)

Edited by Martin Pollard
  • Like 1

I also was thrilled that Penny wants to go the dirty store with Leonard.

Yep, that made me happy. It's only natural that it can get boring after so many years. They want to have FUN in bed and that's definitely what they had last night.

Yep, that made me happy. It's only natural that it can get boring after so many years. They want to have FUN in bed and that's definitely what they had last night.

That hits on my gripe about people who complain that there's not enough Lenny affection for being an engaged couple. Even though they haven't been dating the entire time, Leonard and Penny have still been close for eight years. That's enough time, for many couples, for the bloom to essentially be off the rose, and for them to settle into a comfortable routine where the affection is still there, even though it's not constantly worn on their sleeves for all to see. (The little things, like hand-holding and the affectionate little touches, are about what we'd see for most couples at this stage of the game.) We've seen them go whole-hog with the affection during season 3, when their relationship was new; this is Lenny with more years and more experience under their belts. They don't need to be in-your-face anymore.

• Like 4

That hits on my gripe about people who complain that there's not enough Lenny affection for being an engaged couple. Even though they haven't been dating the entire time, Leonard and Penny have still been close for eight years. That's enough time, for many couples, for the bloom to essentially be off the rose, and for them to settle into a comfortable routine where the affection is still there, even though it's not constantly worn on their sleeves for all to see. (The little things, like hand-holding and the affectionate little touches, are about what we'd see for most couples at this stage of the game.) We've seen them go whole-hog with the affection during season 3, when their relationship was new; this is Lenny with more years and more experience under their belts. They don't need to be in-your-face anymore.

You do know that the biggest complaints from lenny fans is the lack of lenny scenes. Yeah kissing and touching is nice. We have seen a lot of that this season except for the kissing. Stop slagging off lenny fans for wanting more lenny time. They have being pretty much ignored in S8 and that is what is pissing off fans.

3f156af1c6f52a539d2887184f53f463.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Edited by Tonstar17
  • Like 3

I disagree with you Martin.  Up until this season, Leonard and Penny have always been affectionate with each other, and as I mentioned somewhere else, I don't watch the show for what is implied, but for what they show. IMO this season's lack of affection between Leonard and Penny has looked unnatural.

• Like 3

You do know that the biggest complaints from lenny fans is the lack of lenny scenes. Yeah kissing and touching is nice. We have seen a lot of that this season except for the kissing. Stop slagging off lenny fans for wanting more lenny time. They have being pretty much ignored in S8 and that is what is pissing off fans.

Sorry, no, but thanks for asking. Just for future reference: your ignore list is accessed right at the top of the page. Put me on it if you don't like what I have to say.

I disagree with you Martin.  Up until this season, Leonard and Penny have always been affectionate with each other, and as I mentioned somewhere else, I don't watch the show for what is implied, but for what they show. IMO this season's lack of affection between Leonard and Penny has looked unnatural.

And I disagree with you, but I thank you for being polite about it. Can't say the same for other people.

Sorry, no, but thanks for asking. Just for future reference: your ignore list is accessed right at the top of the page. Put me on it if you don't like what I have to say.

And I disagree with you, but I thank you for being polite about it. Can't say the same for other people.

Well I can't be bothered but you keep frustrating your anger on lenny fans. I will respond.

• Like 1

Well I can't be bothered but you keep frustrating your anger on lenny fans. I will respond.

Tonstar17 we should just take our crumbs, the mighty Sheldon Show has given us, and be happy, we are being told. Well my answer is, screw that.

• Like 4

To add, I also enjoyed the salute to Nimoy.  That was perfection.

Just to point something out and not to start an argument. If Sheldon was able to understand the need to discuss investing in the comic book store with Amy, you'd think he'd get the importance of talking to her about permanently leaving the actual planet without her, no?

Well, that escalated quickly.

giphy.gif

gif

HAHAHAHAHA! I've never seen that before.

Just to point something out and not to start an argument. If Sheldon was able to understand the need to discuss investing in the comic book store with Amy, you'd think he'd get the importance of talking to her about permanently leaving the actual planet without her, no?

giphy.gif

I thought a lot about that as well, but the comic bookstore was a monetary investment where I think he viewed the Mars trip as a scientific exploration, and of course furthering his name in science journals.   Sheldon was clearly thinking of himself and even though all the others warned him, he again though he knew more than they did.   He quickly learned he was very wrong in not listening to the others and he even though he could persuade Amy to agree with his rationale because it was for science and threw it back at her asking wouldn't she have taken the opportunity.   Again, he was so narrowly focused that he never really thought about what it truly would be like.  And in the end, neither of them considered what it would be like to be the sole two on a desolate planet where there were no resources, vegetation, etc.   But I do think Sheldon honestly believed she would agree with him because he was not thinking about what it would be like to be there all by himself, no one else to lean on.   Clearly not well thought out.   

Tonstar...love your mug shot!  LOL!

Edited by stardustmelody

c947224c01a0ab9cfae69fced5bcbf7c.jpg

I want that cup.

• Like 2

And in the end, neither of them considered what it would be like to be the sole two on a desolate planet where there were no resources, vegetation, etc.   But I do think Sheldon honestly believed she would agree with him because he was not thinking about what it would be like to be there all by himself, no one else to lean on.

Not to be pedantic, but I'm certain this was a reference to the Mars One colonization, so they wouldn't be alone.

http://www.mars-one.com/

And that is a pretty big thing compared to the investment.

Edited by gsxdoug

Yes, because expressing the way she feels to her boyfriend makes her a doormat. You're really grasping.

You all got the Lenny intimacy you wanted and you still won't shut the hell up.

Not seeing how Amy was a doormat. She confronted him, maintained her cool but didn't brush her feelings aside, and then told him how she felt. Sheldon can be an idiot, this is true, but he listened to her and they made up without one of them giving up their position. Sheldon still gets to apply and Amy agreed to go with him after he asked her too. A year ago, he would just go period and not take her feelings into consideration. One see what they see I guess.

• Like 2

Not seeing how Amy was a doormat. She confronted him, maintained her cool but didn't brush her feelings aside, and then told him how she felt. Sheldon can be an idiot, this is true, but he listened to her and they made up without one of them giving up their position. Sheldon still gets to apply and Amy agreed to go with him after he asked her too. A year ago, he would just go period and not take her feelings into consideration. One see what they see I guess.

Dena wasn't saying Amy was a doormat.  She was responding sarcastically to someone else's assertion to that effect.

I think he would see them as two unrelated things.  Investing in the comic book store is just about money.  He wasn't asking her permission, as I recall, but simply telling her he was thinking about it.  I think he even implied that he expected her to agree with him about it. (Don't remember the dialog offhand.)

But in this case, he's focused on it, as he said, as a scientist and wasn't thinking in terms of couplehood and how being physically apart would affect their relationship.  If he's not dependent upon her physical presence (or so he thinks), then he might not consider the change it would mean, going from date nights to skype nights, or whatever might be possible from Mars (delayed skype?)

I think that he was so eager to apply, making his goofy video and all that, and thinking of it in terms of scientific frontiers, that he perhaps assumed that Amy would be just as enthusiastic about the prospect.  Even if his friends advised him otherwise, he apparently didn't believe them.  After all, he not only thinks he knows best, he thinks he knows that Amy would support his idea.

That's why he's kind of flummoxed that she gets upset about it.  He's not thinking about what it would mean in regard to their future together.  I think that he still doesn't think a lot about a future with Amy, like marriage, kids, etc., so he still kind of compartmentalizes his life in that regard.  He's happy with her right now, but the future is sort of a blank slate.  It's not that he doesn't want to continue to be with Amy, but if he's never imagined getting married to anyone or having children with anyone, then that kind of thinking still isn't in his mental vocabulary.

But he was trying hard to understand her POV and to appease her in some way.  It just took him a while and a round of hashing it out with her for him to finally get it right.  And then he was enthusiastic about the solution they found.

• Like 4

I liked that Mars colonisation is part of the zeitgeist. Two of my favourite shows featured it within days of each other. CASTLE just had a glorious Mars based episode - where both leads applied to go to Mars and neither told the other. Though it was just an aside, not a plot point..

I laughed all through this - though I was drunk at the time - and thought the pie in the face was hysterical. Talk about acting chops. Nothing got telegraphed there. The L/P was quality, and snappily delivered, with a sense of fun and no sentimentality. He got paint in his eye... what was he up to. Hehehe. And Penny won. Hehehe x2. Emily rocks. Raj was great and Howard & Bernadette slayed me. They ARE shameless. Lol. The application video was great. I'm still thinking Sheldon slows to speak to Amy. It's nice it all worked out at the end. Time wise I wish they had run each story for the same length, but hey.

• Like 3

I liked that Mars colonisation is part of the zeitgeist. Two of my favourite shows featured it within days of each other. CASTLE just had a glorious Mars based episode - where both leads applied to go to Mars and neither told the other. Though it was just an aside, not a plot point..

I laughed all through this - though I was drunk at the time - and thought the pie in the face was hysterical. Talk about acting chops. Nothing got telegraphed there. The L/P was quality, and snappily delivered, with a sense of fun and no sentimentality. He got paint in his eye... what was he up to. Hehehe. And Penny won. Hehehe x2. Emily rocks. Raj was great and Howard & Bernadette slayed me. They ARE shameless. Lol. The application video was great. I'm still thinking Sheldon slows to speak to Amy. It's nice it all worked out at the end. Time wise I wish they had run each story for the same length, but hey.

It is funny with Howard and Betnadette, one moment you have her doing taxes while he plays video games, and you wonder how they get along, the next, like you said, they are both glued to the phone shamelessly listening in for fun, and you know they belong together.

• Like 1