The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

818 The Leftover Thermalization (March 12)

Your Episode Rating  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Agree with phanta. I thought this was an hilarious episode - one of the best for the season. The most my son has laughed all year ( my girl laughs all through every show but was even louder during this one. I found every scene funny and every character contributed.

I thought the Shelnard fight was great. It was a great mix of new and old Leonard and Sheldon. Sheldon was predictably clueless in the opening until Amy gave him a reference point he understood. His awkwardness in dealing with the reveal to Leonard was in character, Leonard's initial response was his typical acceptance of his second fiddle-ness. And Kudos to new improved Sheldon for actually attempting to correct it. Then it escalated like it did in early episodes through a combination of Sheldon superiority and Leonard emotion. I think sometimes it easy to always blame Sheldon for every fight but over the years Leonard has had his moments of going too far as well ( I concede the score is about 250-10 in Sheldons favour but still) Anyway it made for some great interaction that made me laugh all night. And it didn't worry me in the least that it kept going throughout the dinner. Shows their emotional immaturity is still hanging in there despite their growth.

Loved both Amy and Penny dealing with them too. Amy again showing her strength not to just side with Sheldon when she could see that Leonard was wronged. The Shamy is certainly secure enough to handle disagreement now. Penny was great how she tried to calm him through her love of shopping ( coz that cures all things ) and knowing what her man wants. I loved even more how she was strong on telling them that this night was all for Howard. Showed her social awareness and how much she loves her friends - even that guy she couldn't stomach for years ( Howard I mean , not Sheldon)

Loved the salon talk and how Sheldon felt it necessary to explain everything to Penny but they turned it around when they felt he wouldn't understand the View ( but he did because of Whoopi link to Star Trek).

I love Simon being emotional. Nuff said. Bernie was brilliant ripping into the two childish scientists as the voice of Mrs W and Howard noticing and the others pretending they had never noticed.

I disagree with the notion the episode should have been a better homage to Mrs W and Shelnards fight was out of place. I think the way the show has farewelled Mrs W over several episodes has done her justice and we haven't needed the cheesy flashbacks of her voice and any memories scenes.

And Emily? I don't think it would be appropriate, despite her relationship with Raj, for her to be there. It wasn't a couples dinner. It was the final farewell by the eight friends whose lives were profoundly touched by Howard's mum over many years (and by extension Carol Ann Susi) Emily may not have even met the woman ( even in the prom episode, Stuart and Howard's cousin came out to the limo rather than them going in to get them ) so this night was not for her.

Loved the episode. Haven't rated it yet but will give it excellent.

And loved the tag scene. Looked like my house and family after Christmas dinner. Tags have been let downs a lot this year. This was a good one.

agree with this so much!!

The episode was meh for me, except for Simon's performance in the kitchen scene, which was moving as we've lost my father in-law in the last year and cleaning out a house is so emotionally fraught. Sometimes nothing is harder than throwing out old ketchup packets/D cell batteries. Hubby and I were relating to Howard and Bernie hard last night. Including the bit where she went Badger to try and keep the evening nice for him.

And I guess I didn't think it was so jarring to have childish bickering between Leonard and Sheldon at dinner of this kind. Don't those kind of dinners have a good chance of eventually devolving into an airing of grievances? It just wasn't funny because the stakes were so low.

I also liked the beached whales in the tag. Very Thanksgiving at Grandma's.

Maybe I liked this more than I think I did. I just didn't find it that amusing because it was too much like hanging out with cousins.

Edited by Chaliceinnana

The Howard, Raj and Bernadette plot saved the episode for me, it was mildly funny, yet sincere enough to be respectful. It made you really like Howard and it did show why Howard and Bernadette are married, they obviously love each other and that episode shows it. Raj didn't even seem like a third wheel, he seemed like a good friend and I didn't really miss Emily. The story line with Leonard and Sheldon turned be off, Penny and Amy dealing with the situation was excellent, but the guys situation reminded me too much of that sweater episode, Sheldon hurting Leonard again because he is an asshole, I didn't find him quirky at all, just selfish and egotistical. It makes me wonder why Leonard cares about Sheldon's feelings so much when he keeps doing crap like that, it is time to pass the big baby to Amy.

the sweater episode was much worse than this. What happened wasn't totally his fault. At the beginning he tried to be nice, with Amy's assistance, and at the end when he found the article on line. In the middle Sheldon was a jerk but as others have pointed out Leonard was being a bit of a baby. if it bothered Leonard so much the helicopter Penny found wouldn't of been a distraction. In regards to Penny and Amy again this shows how Penny can handle the two of them so much better than Amy. Penny reprimanded the two while at Howard's mother while Amy sat there saying nothing even though she knew Sheldon was being a jerk, just like in the sweater episode.

Leonard had no idea Sheldon was even talking to the magazine till Sheldon showed it to him and Sheldon admitted in the car with Amy, that when they referred to him, in their discussions, as the lead scientist, he didn't correct them. If anything, Leonard showed great restraint, I would have been much more pissed about it than Leonard, of course I would have also shredded the unasked for paper Sheldon wrote and wrote my own.

• Like 1

Leonard had no idea Sheldon was even talking to the magazine till Sheldon showed it to him and Sheldon admitted in the car with Amy, that when they referred to him, in their discussions, as the lead scientist, he didn't correct them. If anything, Leonard showed great restraint, I would have been much more pissed about it than Leonard, of course I would have also shredded the unasked for paper Sheldon wrote and wrote my own.

Sheldon was contacted by the magazine and answered a few questions.  It doesn't sound like he did a formal interview.  And I think the question about the "lead scientist" may have been a question--as it came up in the argument--as to what constitutes lead, the idea or the execution.  And to Sheldon's credit, he did contact SA to see why they'd left Leonard out, which Sheldon obviously hadn't known about until the article was printed.  That the SA writer was more interested in Sheldon than Leonard was not Sheldon's fault.

Now, Sheldon didn't help because he is, of course, self-important and isn't known for his ability to be comforting.

What I find interesting is that Sheldon, the heady theorist, was in this case the one involved in executing the work, while Leonard, who usually performs experiments to prove or disprove other people's theories, was the one with the theory this time.

I loved the line about Leonard's uncle calling to say he just got burned. :p

• Like 2

After this season, and this episode in particular, I'm going to stage a protest if Simon doesn't get nominated for an Emmy.

• Like 4

I liked this episode but didn't love it. The part I liked the most was when Bernadette took Leonard and Sheldon (see, I said Leonard's name first? lol) to the living room and gave them a talking to. That really showed her love for Howard, as did the scene in the kitchen. I also liked that Howard was mature enough to put his squabbles aside and let Stewart stay at the house.

One thing that I've been thinking; wouldn't it make sense for Howard and Bernadette to move into the house now that Mrs. W is "gone" instead of living in their apartment which as far as I know is a rental?

• Like 4

I can't believe almost everyone is happy with Leonard getting so little credit. The magazine at the end mentioned him, oh wow! That didn't make me happy in the slightest. And of course it's not Sheldon's fault, but he could at least stop acting like he didn't even need Leonard to do this because he has ideas all the time. In my mind, Leonard had every right to be mad about the magazine AND Sheldon.

edit: And the episode wasn't really funny to be honest.

Edited by FileXxX

After this season, and this episode in particular, I'm going to stage a protest if Simon doesn't get nominated for an Emmy.

I've actually been far more impressed with Melissa Rauch's performance in the Mrs. W. scenes.

• Like 2

I think personally it would have been funnier if they had not put Sheldon name on the article. Sheldon would have gone crazy

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I think personally it would have been funnier if they had not put Sheldon name on the article. Sheldon would have gone crazy

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I agree, then you would have really seen how a child acts.

I can't believe almost everyone is happy with Leonard getting so little credit. The magazine at the end mentioned him, oh wow! That didn't make me happy in the slightest. And of course it's not Sheldon's fault, but he could at least stop acting like he didn't even need Leonard to do this because he has ideas all the time. In my mind, Leonard had every right to be mad about the magazine AND Sheldon.

That is because there are many more Sheldon lovers that will defend him for any horrible thing he does. They even had an excuse for him purposely torturing Leonard with that sweater. Lenny fans tend to be more laid back and compromising, like Leonard, however there are a few exceptions, like me.

BTW, Im probably going to get in trouble for this post.

• Like 2

I agree, then you would have really seen how a child acts.

That is because there are many more Sheldon lovers that will defend him for any horrible thing he does. They even had an excuse for him purposely torturing Leonard with that sweater. Lenny fans tend to be more laid back and compromising, like Leonard, however there are a few exceptions, like me.

BTW, Im probably going to get in trouble for this post.

I think it's always questionable to paint any group of people with such a broad brush, especially in such a petulant manner.

One could also say that Leonard fans will stop at nothing to find something with which to criticize Sheldon, even when there's nothing to criticize.  As with the sweater, which Leonard put on and kept on of his own free will.  Sheldon didn't tape him into it or even force him to wear it. Leonard smugly agreed, thinking he would solve the video rental issue with his own resourcefulness and determination.  And then he just didn't want to lose.  HIS OWN DECISION.

But I would never say such a thing because it assumes EVERY Leonard fan feels exactly the same way, which isn't true.

I do think that some people will never be happy until Leonard somehow rules the world, or they take things like this argument far too seriously.  More seriously than it is intended, since EVEN LEONARD was not still mad at Sheldon at the end.

Yes the other article mentioned Leonard, but ALL of the gang was happy for him (as happy as they could be in their overstuffed state) and we don't know what "mentioned" means.  They could very easily have given him full credit for the idea.  All we got was a quick note about the article, not a review of what it said about Leonard.

Some viewers are more petulant than Sheldon about such things.  Not all, just some.

• Like 6

I didn't mind the bickering at the dinner table so much. It almost felt like an extension of the arguing that regularly went on in the Wolowitz household. Cyclical.

• Like 2

I think it's always questionable to paint any group of people with such a broad brush, especially in such a petulant manner.

One could also say that Leonard fans will stop at nothing to find something with which to criticize Sheldon, even when there's nothing to criticize.  As with the sweater, which Leonard put on and kept on of his own free will.  Sheldon didn't tape him into it or even force him to wear it. Leonard smugly agreed, thinking he would solve the video rental issue with his own resourcefulness and determination.  And then he just didn't want to lose.  HIS OWN DECISION.

But I would never say such a thing because it assumes EVERY Leonard fan feels exactly the same way, which isn't true.

I do think that some people will never be happy until Leonard somehow rules the world, or they take things like this argument far too seriously.  More seriously than it is intended, since EVEN LEONARD was not still mad at Sheldon at the end.

Yes the other article mentioned Leonard, but ALL of the gang was happy for him (as happy as they could be in their overstuffed state) and we don't know what "mentioned" means.  They could very easily have given him full credit for the idea.  All we got was a quick note about the article, not a review of what it said about Leonard.

Some viewers are more petulant than Sheldon about such things.  Not all, just some.

I don't have any issues with the sweater episode and, as I said before, I don't blame Sheldon that Leonard didn't get any credit. Why would I? I'm mad because Sheldon didn't even realize that it would make him sad. He didn't even realize that Leonard's idea was important for this paper. Does this guy know anything about human behavior after all these years? Even at the end he thought he could've done that all by himself, without Leonard. He sees himself as the lead scientist and says the execution is way more important, even though there would be no execution without Leonard's idea.

If their paper turns into something serious and one of them doesn't get any credit, I'm gonna be furious. They did this thing together and I want both of them to get what they deserve. And how are we taking this too seriously? It is there, so I'm gonna talk about it. And I think it is serious, because it could be a milestone in both of their careers.

I enjoyed the episode. The Howard/Bernadette/Raj scenes were spot on (the presence of Emily here would detract somewhat as B & R are the closest to Howard).

Absolutely loved the solid support & love Penny gave Leonard. Clearly an engaged loving couple on full display.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 1

That the SA writer was more interested in Sheldon than Leonard was not Sheldon's fault.

Maybe so, but the fact that Sheldon had the opportunity to correct him but didn't kinda is.

• Like 6

Maybe so, but the fact that Sheldon had the opportunity to correct him but didn't kinda is.

Exactly.

But that is just Sheldon, so you just have to understand, forgive and accept. Yeah right.

• Like 3

But that is just Sheldon, so you just have to understand, forgive and accept. Yeah right.

I will admit if Leonard had done that to Sheldon this thread would be 10 pages longer. I don't think forgive and sccept goes both ways.
  • Like 3

Just to be clear, I'm not happy Leonard didn't get credit. I empathise with the little guy on a daily basis since his life mirrors mine so much. I miss out on credit for a job done every other day and I get pissed about it too and whine about it to my wife and kids - must see dinner time chat. And I don't excuse Sheldon ( I did have him 250-10 in front on the fault count) for his behaviour. I'd be mad at the magazine and Sheldon too. I just simply laugh at it because I'm watching a comedy that I find extremely funny when Sheldon acts inappropriately or cluelessly or fights with anyone. I love the guy as a TV character who makes me laugh - but wouldn't last five minutes with him in my actual workplace or home environment. I'm able to separate the two realities. That is how I roll in my world. Others choose to be offended by him. That's cool. We're all different.

• Like 4

Just to be clear, I'm not happy Leonard didn't get credit. I empathise with the little guy on a daily basis since his life mirrors mine so much. I miss out on credit for a job done every other day and I get pissed about it too and whine about it to my wife and kids - must see dinner time chat. And I don't excuse Sheldon ( I did have him 250-10 in front on the fault count) for his behaviour. I'd be mad at the magazine and Sheldon too. I just simply laugh at it because I'm watching a comedy that I find extremely funny when Sheldon acts inappropriately or cluelessly or fights with anyone. I love the guy as a TV character who makes me laugh - but wouldn't last five minutes with him in my actual workplace or home environment. I'm able to separate the two realities. That is how I roll in my world. Others choose to be offended by him. That's cool. We're all different.

I hear what you are saying but I think some for once would like an episode when the roles would be reverse. BTW does your wife look like Penny?
  • Like 1

I hear what you are saying but I think some for once would like an episode when the roles would be reverse. BTW does your wife look like Penny?

I would too, Chrismo. It is definitely one way traffic when it comes to the Shelnard career comparisons. Same fight, reversed roles, hilarious.

And your questions? Um, how do I answer that without insulting the love of my life?...um...um. No. And to be honest I'd be happy to look like Leonard - but with my height. I like tall.

Edited by Itwasdestined
  • Like 1

I would too, Chrismo. It is definitely one way traffic when it comes to the Shelnard career comparisons. Same fight, reversed roles, hilarious.

And your questions? Um, how do I answer that without insulting the love of my life?...um...um. No. And to be honest I'd be happy to look like Leonard - but with my height. I like tall.

you make an interesting comment about the love of your life. Leonard always seems to be on the short end on episodes like this one. But Leonard has the love of his life does Sheldon? I don't think he ends up on the short end of that answer.

Kudos to the writers for dropping in that Sheldon reciting 1000 digits of Pi two days before Pi day. haha

Ah yes, I was excited by that. I excited 100 grade 5/6 students about the glory of Pi day at school yesterday. 10 kids decided to synchronise their watches and celebrate with each other via Skype!

Make sure you geek out BBT style to the wonders of Pi day 2015, when all the dates and times align to give us a perfect Pi moment - 3.14.15 ( date) 9:26:53.58 ( time) the time on Pi day when the first 12 digits of Pi coincide with a moment in time. Felt the writers could have gone further with Sheldon on this one. It's such a fun factoid!

• Like 5

Ah yes, I was excited by that. I excited 100 grade 5/6 students about the glory of Pi day at school yesterday. 10 kids decided to synchronise their watches and celebrate with each other via Skype!

Make sure you geek out BBT style to the wonders of Pi day 2015, when all the dates and times align to give us a perfect Pi moment - 3.14.15 ( date) 9:26:53.58 ( time) the time on Pi day when the first 12 digits of Pi coincide with a moment in time. Felt the writers could have gone further with Sheldon on this one. It's such a fun factoid!

I know I am so excited about it too! People don't understand that it will never happen again in our lifetime! I told my math class all about Pi day. It is awesome! :)

• Like 2