The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

818 The Leftover Thermalization (March 12)

Your Episode Rating  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

what a wonderful end, to a sad time in howards life.

glad bernie step up to put both leonard and sheldon

in there place before they would tear part the group.

great job by both simon and melissa

No.  Penny was supporting Leonard overall, and Amy was supporting Sheldon overall, except when Sheldon mentioned he didn't correct the interviewer about Leonard's role.  

• Like 5

This one's going to be tough to watch. I cried when she died, and you know this episode is going to be even more heart-wrenching.

While I won't miss the plethora of fat jokes, I sure will miss Howard's Mom. She was the best ever invisible cast member of any sitcom to date!

Well, I sure got this one wrong.

This had to be the lamest episode airing this season. Both plot lines had potential but ended up being very weak. The whole "everybody knows Bernadette sounds like Howard's mom except for Howard" gag has been overdone. And the Sheldon/Leonard professional rivalry was resolved too easily.

Plus ... it wasn't funny OR touching. I felt like this one was thrown together at the last minute.

No.  Penny was supporting Leonard overall, and Amy was supporting Sheldon overall, except when Sheldon mentioned he didn't correct the interviewer about Leonard's role.  

I thought Penny AND Amy were supporting Leonard overall.

I found the episode funny and entertaining. I thought it was very good.

I was too busy to watch it when it aired so I saw it on VOD.

Car one: Sheldon and Amy

Sheldon “all he had was an idea.”

Amy “well that is an important part.”

Sheldon “oh please I have ideas all day long.  Reverse sea world where dolphins are allowed to pet people, a new clothing is size between medium and large called marge, snow white retold from the view of Sneezy why won’t Doc prescribe him something we finally find out.”

Amy “Leonard’s idea was good.”

Sheldon “Fine then Grumpy, what’s he so grumpy about maybe his girlfriend won’t take his side.”

Car 2

Leonard: “I’m the one who thought of it.”

Penny: “Didn’t he do a lot of the work?”

• Like 1

Car 2

That was one comment. She was on his side through the whole episode.

So what's up with Emily?  Why isn't she appearing with the ensemble, such as at tonight's dinner?  I thought at this point she and Raj were a couple.

I don't recall seeing any scenes that had Emily and Penny in the same room after the declared their hatred of each other.

The reason for her absence was not given so take your pick

1. Emily avoids Penny
  2. Emily is a doctor and often is unavailable

I don't find it odd she was not there but perhaps odd that Raj did not even mention her name. Nor did anyone ask about her. That's just how TBBT rolls. They don't mess up the rhythm of the jokes for the sake of continuity. Like in a previous season where Penny was taking a night class but never mentioned it outside the episode it was featured in.

I know I am so excited about it too! People don't understand that it will never happen again in our lifetime! I told my math class all about Pi day. It is awesome! :)

I loved that pi reciting too (together with the little lady:-))

However, that's only the American or English way of counting dates... and based on some more or less arbitrary zero point in history from which we count our time. There are plenty of other calenders, so we can surely find another pi day;-) Or just go to Mars, there a year is much longer and you'd probably have a different calender:-) Also as I'm from Germany we don't put the month first, so for me your pi day was 14.3.15 and my pi day will be 3.1.41;-)

Sorry for nitpicking, that's probably why Sheldon thought the Germans were a tough crowd concerning humor;-)

• Like 2

Saw BBT after long time...

not much laughs....

Sheldon who works on physics theories is the one supporting execution ... when till now he constantly ridicules them..

Leonard...he is probably the most patheticly written character .... bad at games, bad in bed , no courage...constant push over both by his roommate and girlfriend...... and now his work does not get recognition...oh his work does but not him ....

Sheldon “oh please I have ideas all day long.  Reverse sea world where dolphins are allowed to pet people, a new clothing is size between medium and large called marge, snow white retold from the view of Sneezy why won’t Doc prescribe him something we finally find out.”

Sheldon “Fine then Grumpy, what’s he so grumpy about maybe his girlfriend won’t take his side.”

Car 2

Where's the rest of these conversations? Your two examples, especially the only one quote of Penny, supports my comment that each of the women were overall supporting their partners. I'm away from home right now, but I'll put the rest of the dialogue up later

Anyone else notice Amy defending Leonard and Penny defending Sheldon in the cars?

Well. Leonard had a right to be pissed, which Amy was pointing out to Sheldon, and Sheldon did do a lot of the work, as Penny was pointing out to Leonard. Amy and Penny were trying to get their partners to see the bigger picture (and maybe put their squabble aside for Howard?). You can be supportive of your partner and see the other side of the argument.

• Like 6

One to the rest of the story.

And you missed Amy looking offended by this.

After a cut to Leonard and Penny (see below) there was this conversation:

Sheldon: Is it my fault I have a much bigger reputation than he does?

Amy: It's not your fault.

Sheldon: Is it my fault my name came first on the paper alphabetically?

Amy:Not your fault.

Sheldon: Is it my fault that when the reporter cited me as the lead scientist I didn't correct him?

Amy:Hey, Look at the pretty bird. Amy doesn't want to agree, as that behavior was just wrong. Notice that Amy does support him on things he had no control over, but admonishes him for things he did wrong. Not sure why you thing that is non-support.

As for the other car:

Car 2

You missed this, in the same conversation:

Leoanrd: but now he's happy to let people think he's responsible for everything.

Penny: And that's why you get an iPad helicopter.

Not sure how that supports Sheldon. Then after a cut to Sheldon and Amy there is this:

Leonard: He(Sheldon) always needs all the attention, he's such a baby.

Penny: I know, I know.

Can you explain how Penny is supporting Sheldon here?

There's also Penny trying to make Leonard feel better about the whole think by finding something to buy for him. How does that show support for Sheldon?

As wowbagger pointed out, while they were supporting their partners, they were also trying to get them to see the overall situation. That doesn't mean they weren't supporting their SOs.

• Like 4

Just caught up. Didn't laugh much at this one. Hard to excuse Sheldon. Even his girlfriend wasn't on his side. Nice farewell for Mrs W.

Edit. Sheldon may have executed, but he had no permission to do that. Leonard went to bed with an idea, and woke up bereft of opportunity. Then he further lost the chance to build reputation. And still he takes it. *shakes head*

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

Car 2

I don't think it's so much Penny taking Sheldon's side & Amy taking Leonard's side as the girls were trying to make the guys see the other one's side (Sheldon see Leonard's POV and Leonard see Sheldon's POV) in an effort for the two to reconcile the argument and support their men.

• Like 2

I'm laughing because in the academic world this makes perfect sense. There are so much politics behind how things are published that it can and does happen that people don't get credited the way they deserve.

• Like 2

I don't have any issues with the sweater episode and, as I said before, I don't blame Sheldon that Leonard didn't get any credit. Why would I? I'm mad because Sheldon didn't even realize that it would make him sad. He didn't even realize that Leonard's idea was important for this paper. Does this guy know anything about human behavior after all these years?

To answer your question: No, Sheldon really doesn't know much about human behavior after all of these years. He probably never will. A distinct part of Sheldon's character is his lack of empathy and his lack of ability to understand the subtleties of human behavior and interaction. It was a key part of the episode for me, and speaks volumes about their relationship, that Amy knew exactly what past experience to pull out of her hat to get Sheldon to connect and empathize with how Leonard was going to feel. Amy had to lead him through that, and she knew how to do so. Once Sheldon got it, he got it, and was trying to break the news to Leonard gently. However, when Leonard got so upset, Sheldon really didn't understand why his efforts had not worked and knew they were in a fight.

It's definitely hard with Sheldon. I do not agree that there are places where he gets his behavior excused where I don't think he should, but there are also times I think that Sheldon has some huge limits and he's just not ever going to be able to perform at a place socially where people think he should. Empathy is one of those things - he'll never be able to grow a sense of empathy he was born without. He's always going to be confused by things; it's how he's made and it's not fixable. If you want to be friends with him or in a relationship with him, that's just something you'll have to deal with.

Well, I sure got this one wrong.

This had to be the lamest episode airing this season. Both plot lines had potential but ended up being very weak. The whole "everybody knows Bernadette sounds like Howard's mom except for Howard" gag has been overdone. And the Sheldon/Leonard professional rivalry was resolved too easily.

Plus ... it wasn't funny OR touching. I felt like this one was thrown together at the last minute.

Just caught up. Didn't laugh much at this one. Hard to excuse Sheldon. Even his girlfriend wasn't on his side. Nice farewell for Mrs W.

Edit. Sheldon may have executed, but he had no permission to do that. Leonard went to bed with an idea, and woke up bereft of opportunity. Then he further lost the chance to build reputation. And still he takes it. *shakes head*

I also finally caught this one late, and definitely didn't laugh at it. I ended up just giving it a mere "okay." I don't even know precisely what I didn't like about it, but overall the whole thing just didn't seem to gel for me. The only part I found amusing was the tag scene - that was pretty cute. But even though, in theory, the rest of it should have been fine, even amusing or touching....it just didn't really work for me. Can't even explain it, just seemed like the usual touch of fairy dust was missing this time. Like someone served you a delicious-looking plate of spagetti, but when you taste it you realize they forgot the salt. It was just bland, but you can't think of any other way to save it, or why precisely it fell flat other than....no salt? Italian spice? Paprika?

That must be it. This episode was just missing the paprika.

• Like 3

To answer your question: No, Sheldon really doesn't know much about human behavior after all of these years. He probably never will. A distinct part of Sheldon's character is his lack of empathy and his lack of ability to understand the subtleties of human behavior and interaction. It was a key part of the episode for me, and speaks volumes about their relationship, that Amy knew exactly what past experience to pull out of her hat to get Sheldon to connect and empathize with how Leonard was going to feel. Amy had to lead him through that, and she knew how to do so. Once Sheldon got it, he got it, and was trying to break the news to Leonard gently. However, when Leonard got so upset, Sheldon really didn't understand why his efforts had not worked and knew they were in a fight.

It's definitely hard with Sheldon. I do not agree that there are places where he gets his behavior excused where I don't think he should, but there are also times I think that Sheldon has some huge limits and he's just not ever going to be able to perform at a place socially where people think he should. Empathy is one of those things - he'll never be able to grow a sense of empathy he was born without. He's always going to be confused by things; it's how he's made and it's not fixable. If you want to be friends with him or in a relationship with him, that's just something you'll have to deal with.

I also finally caught this one late, and definitely didn't laugh at it. I ended up just giving it a mere "okay." I don't even know precisely what I didn't like about it, but overall the whole thing just didn't seem to gel for me. The only part I found amusing was the tag scene - that was pretty cute. But even though, in theory, the rest of it should have been fine, even amusing or touching....it just didn't really work for me. Can't even explain it, just seemed like the usual touch of fairy dust was missing this time. Like someone served you a delicious-looking plate of spagetti, but when you taste it you realize they forgot the salt. It was just bland, but you can't think of any other way to save it, or why precisely it fell flat other than....no salt? Italian spice? Paprika?

That must be it. This episode was just missing the paprika.

You put paprika on spaghetti?

I don't get what it is that people missed. I thought it was funny and just touching enough. I didn't think I was going to cry or anything. I don't think it was supposed to be that sad. I think they already did the most touching whole-cast moment when they all toasted her in the episode where she first passed away. I think that the only moment here that was supposed to be touching was the scene in the kitchen where Howard realized he was never going to talk to her again. Otherwise it was simply sincere but funny. The dinner scene was never supposed to be a big tear-filled dramatic moment, but a moment where the S/L argument came to the head that had started building up the whole time.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for this show, but I laughed at the jokes--out loud--and I found Howard's scenes nicely sincere and touching, and Raj was appropriately funny in his moments.

But then again, I don't put paprika on spaghetti... :p

• Like 4

I didn't say that I thought I was supposed to feel sad or amused and wasn't, I just said that the premise all sounded good, and the execution was technically fine and the usual from the actors, but somehow the episode just didn't gel for me.

It's possible that it's because I found both Sheldon and Leonard highly annoying in this episode, and I'm usually not annoyed with either of them. But in this episode you were supposed to be annoyed, I think? Amy and Penny were annoyed with them while driving, and once they picked a fight at dinner (started by Leonard this time) it was so awkward and they were such petulant babies that Bernie took them aside and gave them a good what for. Which they deserved, because they were being unbelievably irritating. But the whole....explaining what things meant, the condescending to each other (and by exchange, boring the audience) and S&L being obnoxious, I felt like Bernie did: I wanted to tell them to just shut the eff up.

So I came away from it with vague annoyance, and not feeling entertained. I watch the show because it's endearing even when the characters fight or bicker. It's usually witty and entertaining. This was just more painful. While there were some good things here and there, overall it just didn't work like it usually does,

But YMMV, obviously.

• Like 8

[snip]

It's possible that it's because I found both Sheldon and Leonard highly annoying in this episode, and I'm usually not annoyed with either of them. But in this episode you were supposed to be annoyed, I think? Amy and Penny were annoyed with them while driving, and once they picked a fight at dinner (started by Leonard this time) it was so awkward and they were such petulant babies that Bernie took them aside and gave them a good what for. Which they deserved, because they were being unbelievably irritating. But the whole....explaining what things meant, the condescending to each other (and by exchange, boring the audience) and S&L being obnoxious, I felt like Bernie did: I wanted to tell them to just shut the eff up.

[snip]

Agreed. I'll have to watch the episode to judge for myself how it turned out, but I had an element of 'Seriously? Your friend's mother has died, and you have been invited to join him in a leave-taking. And you can't put his needs above yours for one hot second?'

And I just know as I write this, that there will be a flood of: 'Oh, but Sheldon never-'/'Oh, but Leonard always'/'Well, this is a sitcom. What, do you expect the gang to tear their clothes in perpetuity?'

And no, no, I don't. I am not absolving either Sheldon or Leonard of blame. I do expect more of Leonard (yes, yes, Leonard always. Fine.), but I am also (imagine that) enormously irritated with Sheldon. Add to that my irritation with the entire paper plot, and you get a very curmudgeonly wowbagger.

I appreciate that their careers are important to them, and Bernie's ticking-off sounds great. But I am impatient with the fact that said ticking-off was necessary. I get impatient with the show's infantilisation of its male cast. I grit my teeth at the show's frequent-to-continual bracketing of its female cast in the roles of put-upon sitcom mothers to their sexual partners (cf. Penny with 'copter, Amy with Disneyworld). Yes, yes, it's a sitcom, and it's meant to be funny. But in these moments, it feels creepy and mean-spirited. Let Howard grieve and have the grace to at least try to enter into his feelings, when you have been explicitly invited to do so. It's not cute or charming when you behave like spoiled brats in Sunday School.

• Like 4

Perhaps too much time was spent on bickering over the SA article (sort of like on this forum)? Neither S nor L was willing to concede their ultimate point (again like this forum--yours truly included). If they had found a way to leave that behind early on and maybe focus on---I don't know---the helicopter? The tag scene could still be used as effectively. Just thinking while keying.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't say that I thought I was supposed to feel sad or amused and wasn't, I just said that the premise all sounded good, and the execution was technically fine and the usual from the actors, but somehow the episode just didn't gel for me.

So I came away from it with vague annoyance, and not feeling entertained. I watch the show because it's endearing even when the characters fight or bicker. It's usually witty and entertaining. This was just more painful. While there were some good things here and there, overall it just didn't work like it usually does,

But YMMV, obviously.

You see I don't feel Sheldon and Leonard's behavior in this episode was unbelievable at all.  I thought it was VERY believable.  They both can get their buttons pushed easily with each other and will lose themselves in their pettiness sometimes.  I think that's believable for both characters and rings true for their friendship as well.  That doesn't mean they didn't deserve the dressing down Bernadette gave them, but I'm not sure WHY people thought this kind of situation emerging from their characters surprises them after 8 seasons.

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 2

But YMMV, obviously.

I agree, as much as I love Shelnard, I was annoyed by both of them in this episode with there constant bickering, which was especially out of place once they got to Howard's house - what annoyed me the most was that an episode which was built as a tribute to Mrs. W got overshadowed by the Shelnard argument.

• Like 1