The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

818 The Leftover Thermalization (March 12)

Your Episode Rating  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

They had a power cut but were still able to cook????

Not sure how it works in the UK but here in America, it's either all electric (like at my house) or BOTH electric and gas (like at my grandmas...when she was still alive).

If the electric went out at my house, I'm screwed food & cooking wise. But at my grandmas, I can at least still cook food on the stove.

Hope that clears it up....

Oh yeah I suppose if they have a gas cooker its fine!

Yeah, Casa Wolowitz looks like an older home, and many older homes (at least in the US) are usually outfitted with natural gas stoves, whereas modern homes (built within the last 20-30 years) tend to have electric stoves. For example, my childhood home was built during the housing boom of the post-war 1950s, and it was outfitted with a gas stove, whereas the house I'm currently renting was built in the 1990s, and it has an electric one.

• Like 1

The block I live in only has electric, but then if there was a power cut, I'd just get a takeaway!

Edited by rachelshamyfan

The block I live in only has electric, but then if there was a power cut, I'd just get a takeaway!

I'd build a bonfire in the back yard and roast hot dogs on a stick.

• Like 1

The Big Bang Theory Season 8 Episode 18- The Leftover Thermalization- Review

A return to form for the show here, and guess why? It's another ensemble episode!

The Colonisation Application didn't work because it was heavily reliant on the characters relationships (which have already been covered to death this season) and didn't utilise all of the characters (Melissa barely had a look-in). This episode was the complete opposite of that, forgetting the relationships for an episode and going back to what still works- a bit of Shelnard at the beginning and some ensemble in the second half.

It was nice to have just the two storylines this week, as it meant that more time in the first half of the episode could be dedicated to them, and also because they could be nicely interwoven into the ensemble in the second half.

The Sheldon Show still continues, with our favourite socially inept scientist taking centre stage in the main plot for the seventh episode running. Having Leonard not mentioned in the magazine article and showing Sheldon's reaction to this really made clear how much Sheldon has developed as a character this season. His sadness looked real rather than forced, especially when he realised what Leonard was feeling the same as he did when he wasn't picked to pull the sword out of the stone at Disneyland. This line also showed how Shamy's relationship has progressed this season; Amy knows these nice little things about Sheldon (which she sometimes uses to her advantage) but it makes the relationship seem more 'real' and the two look more like a couple.

The supporting cast (bar Emily, which actually turned out to be a good thing) got the better storyline of the episode though, arriving to find all of Mrs Wolowitz's food defrosting in the freezer. The dinner party was a good excuse for an ensemble, and I particularly liked how Raj told Howard and Bernadette that he 'couldn't promise anything' with regards to not crying. Raj does have a very personal relationship with Mrs Wolowitz's food, having eaten quite a lot of it when he was looking after her, so it's unsurprising to see him so upset at the thought of this being his last meal cooked by her.

Shamy's tiff in the car over the magazine article was amusing, and it was nice to see Amy sticking up for Leonard and Penny sticking up for Sheldon against their respective boyfriends. Going through the food ('one Jewish lasagne') The 'salon' around the table and subsequent argument was very amusing, and Bernadette yelling at Sheldon and Leonard sounding just like Mrs Wolowitz was really clever and a nice touch. Was that actually Melissa doing the impression?

The tag scene was superb also, just a little joke but funny nonetheless.

Bad Characterisation Dept.: If Howard really cared so much about Mrs Wolowitz's food being defrosted, why would he stand with the freezer door open for a few minutes whilst arguing? Any normal person would leave the door shut so that the cold wouldn't escape.

Unnecessarily Inappropriate Joke Dept.: The gag about Mrs Wolowitz keeping Howard's foreskin was creepy, strange and felt out of place.

Best Line: Sheldon: 'Hi. Hello. And a special hello to Leonard, who needs to be mentioned by name'

Performance of the Week: Kunal Nayyer for the second episode running. Very good, especially when he burst into tears in the kitchen.

Score: 8/10.