Sheldon Research

I am writing my new story and I need information so I get things right.

Sheldon was a visiting professor at the University of Heidelberg after graduating from college at 14 but it never clearly stated when that was. Does anyone know how old he was when he went?

I am writing my new story and I need information so I get things right.

Sheldon was a visiting professor at the University of Heidelberg after graduating from college at 14 but it never clearly stated when that was. Does anyone know how old he was when he went?

I think the show has implied that he would have been born around 1980 (going by the few times they've mentioned his age in passing.) So he would have been 14 in about 1994, give or take.

Edited by phantagrae

I wasn't sure if it was right after college. Thank you. Do we know how long he was there? Was it just one semester or year?

I don't know if he said...

I think he was 15 when he was in Germany, because that's the bit of continuity they screwed up with that Thanksgiving episode, where Sheldon and Mr. R are bonding.

In Pancake Anomaly, Sheldon says he was 15 in Germany when his mother had to go back home to help his dad with the house, but in the Thanksgiving Decoupling (it was on here just last night, I think), he says he was 14 when his father died.

Oops.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 1

That's exactly what I thought too. I thought if he was there at 14 his dad died when he was there. I don't remember all of pancake. Maybe I will make him 15 after his fathers death. I guess if the writers can be lax on the continuity so can I.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if he said...

I think he was 15 when he was in Germany, because that's the bit of continuity they screwed up with that Thanksgiving episode, where Sheldon and Mr. R are bonding.

In Pancake Anomaly, Sheldon says he was 15 in Germany when his mother had to go back home to help his dad with the house, but in the Thanksgiving Decoupling (it was on here just last night, I think), he says he was 14 when his father died.

Oops.

That's obviously a mistake by the writing team, but IRL I wouldn't be surprised by an inconsistency like that. My grandfather always said his father (my great-grandfather) died when he was 13... but his father actually died ten years later, when he was serving in the Army. We can confirm that by documents, and also by the fact that he wouldn't have been called to serve had he been the only man of the house.

Why did he lie, you may ask? He wasn't lying per se. My great-grandfather was an alcooholic. His disease got much worse when my grandfather was 13, and after that my grandfather stopped studying, started working full time and basically became the man of the house. From my grandfather's point of view his father was already dead.

Edited by LMD3014