Bella Duveen

How Do You Feel When Writing?

Obviously, it depends on the content or scene, but I'm just wondering if, especially with those of you who are actually attracted to the characters you write about, that attraction makes it more or less difficult to write them? I mean, while I love the Shamy relationship, I'm not personally in love with Jim/Sheldon and so can be a bit more detached in a way, even though the sexy stuff is fun to write!

But I've just started to attempt writing for different characters on a different show - just as a one off - and I think because one of these characters was a teenage crush I've recently rediscovered (and am so not over...!) writing this is so much harder! It's far more emotional and it will matter more if people don't like it, you know?

For me, it's not about being in love with a character/actor, but I suppose the more fascinated I am with an actor, the more interested I am in the character, so I'm more interested in what goes on with that character and what's in the character's head.

I've only really written for The X-Files and now for TBBT. With TXF, I was a "Mulderist", so I was more interested in what Mulder was thinking or feeling than I was anyone else. But I don't know that I had an actual crush on David Duchovny in the romantic sense, so I don't think that was really a factor.

Or maybe I had some kind of crush and that's what led me to be more interested.

But I think whatever fascination I had actually made it easier for me to write for the character. But I don't think it makes me care more about how people see the story. I want people to enjoy reading the story, of course, but I don't feel I have too strong an emotional stake in it, either way.

With TBBT, I am, obviously, fascinated with Jim which leads me to be more interested in Sheldon. But I think the same situation holds true with what I've written for TBBT, in that I hope people like it, but I don't feel it's an emotional issue for me.

• Like 3

I think the character of Amy is an amazing and beautiful woman, so, while I can put her through the emotional wringer sometimes, I can't bear the thought of her not ending up happy, hence all my stories have ended with her and Sheldon together.

I certainly would find it hard, for her to be really physically hurt, or abused in some way.

I do find her attractive, in a physical sense (put simply, I think she's smoking hot) and I think that helps me write her better.

I'm sometimes tempted to have a crack at a story about a different set of TBBT characters, but I can't really visualize their conversations, like I can Shamy.

When I write, I can actually hear Sheldon and Amy's voices in my head, saying the lines I write, in the way I write them, and I think it shows in the end product.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 4

Interesting subject.

I'm in the same boat as you Bella (as in not attracted to those characters that I write about). However, as Raj is the only one of the bunch I find remotely attractive (and would be interested in dating in RL), perhaps I will find there's a difference when I finally get round to writing the Rajily finale to BBVeracity. I'll let you know when I'm done with it.

Oddly, I don't find Kunal attractive either, or find I have much interest in reading any articles about him. Johnny though, hubba hubba!

• Like 3

Mixing your own lines with ones from the show is pretty hard too - respect to Hazelra and Madamocho for doing it so well!

• Like 3

Mixing your own lines with ones from the show is pretty hard too - respect to Hazelra and Madamocho for doing it so well!

What do you mean?  Are you talking about modifying certain scenes in order to take events in a different direction or have a different outcome?  Or something else?

• Like 1

No, not trying to change anything...I was thinking more about trying to remember exactly what was said and if things happened in the same day or not!

I feel free when I am writing. This is a long story and a difficult one to explain. But when I am writing it feels amazing just to tell my story and express my thoughts honestly. I have not always had that opportunity so I am always grateful for it.

I also tend to write about who and what I find fascinating. This is not always an actor or a character on a show. I have characters and worlds that I have created myself and I also have a number of people in my real life who show up in slightly fictionalized forms. This is embarrassing to admit but some of my characters are also really me and their stories are my real life.

I don't really have a method for when or how I write. I just start whenever the mood strikes me and I usually have a few different projects going on at a time. 

• Like 2

On 4/8/2015 at 7:57 PM, MsTeller said:

This is embarrassing to admit but some of my characters are also really me and their stories are my real life.

Same here.

One or two bits of my stories, are based on stylized versions, of real events.

• Like 2

Well, I think the best writing draws on what you really know because it can have more authenticity (as long as you're not Mary Sue-ing yourself into a character or story...)

I knew a TXF writer who wrote some stories about Mulder having certain experiences, like dislocating his shoulder.  She had been through that, so she knew first-hand what it would feel like when it happened, what it would take to get it put back in place, and I think she also ended up having surgery to fix it, so that got written in as well.

It makes all the medical stuff sound more real because it was something she had experienced than if she had just made up medical stuff.

So I think that even if it's some emotional thing, or whatever, real life experiences help to at least inform something of what one is writing.

• Like 1

Well, I think the best writing draws on what you really know because it can have more authenticity (as long as you're not Mary Sue-ing yourself into a character or story...)

I knew a TXF writer who wrote some stories about Mulder having certain experiences, like dislocating his shoulder.  She had been through that, so she knew first-hand what it would feel like when it happened, what it would take to get it put back in place, and I think she also ended up having surgery to fix it, so that got written in as well.

It makes all the medical stuff sound more real because it was something she had experienced than if she had just made up medical stuff.

So I think that even if it's some emotional thing, or whatever, real life experiences help to at least inform something of what one is writing.

Because I worked in the hospital for so long, I can watch any of the dozens of hospital-based shows and I can tell which ones have writers with that experience and which ones don't! The ones that are making up their own stuff can be painfully obvious sometimes. 

• Like 2

Because I worked in the hospital for so long, I can watch any of the dozens of hospital-based shows and I can tell which ones have writers with that experience and which ones don't! The ones that are making up their own stuff can be painfully obvious sometimes. 

I felt the same way watching a couple of episodes of L&O that were involving people in an orchestra, with all the crazy things that would never happen (a conductor can't just decide to make one person the concertmaster/mistress on a whim becuase they like them, etc.) and characters using music jargon to make it seem authentic.

Blech!

• Like 2

This reminds me of a scene in the Wynona Rider version of Little Women where she tells someone something about how you should never write what you know about (because she was prone to writing melodramatic stories about counts and murderers and pirates and so forth.) :p

I think one can certainly write about things outside one's direct personal experience, but it often calls for some research at least.

I wrote an X-Files story that involved Mulder, out of necessity, teaching his son how to shoot a gun.  Fortunately for me, my beta reader had been taught to shoot at an early age and helped me out a great deal with what a responible parent would teach their child and what kind of gun might be involved, etc.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your replies. It's been really interesting getting different perspectives on the writing process. Also, I have finished my non BBT one shot now, and although it's probably only one that the Brits here would recognise, I'm happy with it and have posted it on fanfiction.net...although somehow it doubt it will be found any time soon, as it's not really known in the US.

Still, with the magic of fanfic I had fun bringing the rating up to T for my teenage crush and wrote the episode the way I've thought it should have gone for 20 years - so for any of you unhappy with the S7 finale, I get it. If you search on Bella Duveen79, you'll find it...can't post links here!

• Like 2

Read it Bella. It was nice even though I am not familiar with the show. You always write so beautifully!

I've only written fan fiction for TBBT, and I don't have a crush on anyone on the show. The closest would be Leonard, and he is way to needy for my tastes.

However I do like to write Shamy related fanfiction, but not because I have an attraction to Sheldon. Amy is a bit of a hoot though. If I were to write fanfiction about a character I had a huge crush on, it would be "Family Ties" and I would so shamelessly Mary Sue myself into it. Alex P. Keaton. Growl! (I had a thing for Preppie boys in the mid 80's!)

The reason I like Shamy so much is that we have two people who never thought they would ever be in a place in their lives where they would have a significant other. For Sheldon such things were by choice, it was giving in to urges that he had "evolved" beyond. For Amy it seemed it would never happen from a social aspect. So she put up walls to prevent herself from getting hurt. However one dirty sock later those same two people are hopelessly tangled up in each other's lives, pledging their love and inseparable. What draws me in is the fact that Sheldon, the man who has not cared one bit about giving into his "unnecessary" biological urges, now is starting to understand what all the fuss is about. With season 8 he is starting to own up to the relationship, though still moving at the speed of Giuseppe.

So to boil it down for me it's all about Sheldon's desire for Amy.

In regards to the inserting dialogue comment earlier, thanks! I am never far from the Blu-Ray discs with closed captioning on. Plus the Big Bang Transcripts is bookmarked on the phone and the computer. I try to be as accurate as possible especially when dialogue is involved.

• Like 5

Thank you so much for your reviews, Madamocho and Hazelra! So glad you enjoyed it and gave it a go - really appreciate it!

• Like 1

I was trying to write or post my fan fiction of Shamy on Wattpad but I can't write something different because Shamy's so unique and I saw somebody's work and I said how can I begin writing? Writing really is difficult but maybe if you have a muse it will be easier for someone to write about something.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Well Bella, turns out it IS rather different writing scenarios for those you find attractive. Well, in my experience anyway. I think both Raj and Emily are sexy, whereas previously for me, only Penny's character is (and to a lesser extent Bernie but she got cancelled out by Howard, that chapter was hard going).

In fact I'm still cleaning the thing up! It was bl00dy filthy! (Well, it's still fairly filthy if I'm honest, but I've removed one thing (a tad too risky to put my name to) and totally toned down another). :)

I'll also be checking out your DA fic when I'm done writing. Wasn't a massive fan of the show to be honest, I was definitely an 'alternative' girl but I have caught the odd episode here and there and agree it's well written and played. Did you also like 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum'? Personally I liked Python, Spike Milligan's Q and absolutely loved the 80's Young Ones, in fact I'm pretty sure I can quote most of it verbatim as we had the videos (Rick: Oooh, have we got a video? Vyv:Yes! We've got a video!).

• Like 1

When I'm writing, I usually listen to music and try to tailor my playlist to set a certain mood. Sometimes I'll get one or two scenes in my head that I have to get down first and then work to tie it all together. Sometimes I just do flow of thought typing. Right now, I'm going through major writers block. I know what I want/need to happen but I just can't get it into words. I'm not going to force it. It'll come to me eventually. How do y'all deal with writers block?

• Like 1

Writers block! So I have one last chapter of a relatively short 4 chapter fiction to write. It's for the Valentine's day challenge and it is now May. I have 2500ish words written with a 5000ish target length. I am a very slow writer as well which doesn't help.

I used to crank out either a chapter or one shot every single week without fail. But then an illness followed by a death in the family occurred and knocked the wind out of my sails. Writing didn't seem as important. I felt guilty that a deadline had passed. But I needed to concentrate on me and my loved ones. Now I'm itching to finish it up, mostly because my biggest pet peeve is an unfinished story.

I'm getting my mojo back by watching episodes of Big Bang, reading or rereading fan fiction and planning out other stories not related to the story I'm stuck on. I've also made peace with myself knowing that it will eventually be finished and not to rush it.

It also helps to talk to someone who writes fan fiction as well. I run ideas by the husband and he looks at me like I have snakes coming out of my hair. So talking with a fellow writer is helpful. They can help you see a different angle of the same problem you've been having difficulties with.

So that's what I have been doing. Hope it helps. If anyone is stuck, needs advice or a second look at something feel free to shoot me a message. I'll try to help you as best as I can.

Happy writing!

• Like 2

Writers block! So I have one last chapter of a relatively short 4 chapter fiction to write. It's for the Valentine's day challenge and it is now May. I have 2500ish words written with a 5000ish target length. I am a very slow writer as well which doesn't help.

I used to crank out either a chapter or one shot every single week without fail. But then an illness followed by a death in the family occurred and knocked the wind out of my sails. Writing didn't seem as important. I felt guilty that a deadline had passed. But I needed to concentrate on me and my loved ones. Now I'm itching to finish it up, mostly because my biggest pet peeve is an unfinished story.

I'm getting my mojo back by watching episodes of Big Bang, reading or rereading fan fiction and planning out other stories not related to the story I'm stuck on. I've also made peace with myself knowing that it will eventually be finished and not to rush it.

It also helps to talk to someone who writes fan fiction as well. I run ideas by the husband and he looks at me like I have snakes coming out of my hair. So talking with a fellow writer is helpful. They can help you see a different angle of the same problem you've been having difficulties with.

So that's what I have been doing. Hope it helps. If anyone is stuck, needs advice or a second look at something feel free to shoot me a message. I'll try to help you as best as I can.

Happy writing!

Very sorry for your loss.

On 5/6/2015 at 1:03 AM, gohawks12 said:

How do y'all deal with writers block?

I just give it a break.

I'll either give it a break completely, or start another project.

I've currently got three projects in the embryo stage.

When I'm writing, I usually listen to music and try to tailor my playlist to set a certain mood. Sometimes I'll get one or two scenes in my head that I have to get down first and then work to tie it all together. Sometimes I just do flow of thought typing. Right now, I'm going through major writers block. I know what I want/need to happen but I just can't get it into words. I'm not going to force it. It'll come to me eventually. How do y'all deal with writers block?

I sometimes just ruminate over the issue, without trying to write anything down.  I may re-read the rest of the story to try to get back in the frame of mind I need to be in.  I think for me sometimes it is about mood and being well-rested.  There's nothing like being really tired and trying to sit in front of the computer and force myself to write.

I also will just change my environment.  I will often write bits while I'm in a meeting at work (since the meetings I go to rarely pertain to me and the specific work I do).  I just have to have that droning white noise of a meeting going on to free my writing mind.

I may or may not use what I've written, but it helps to unblock the flow sometimes.

You could try sitting out in the sun with a pen and paper, or wherever, and just see what comes to you as you see the characters in your head.