The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

820 The Fortification Implementation (April 9)

Your Episode Rating  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Pretty good episode, but I have issues with the Leonard/Penny argument:

I find it very hard to believe that, being engaged, they don't know the status of each others financial situation/salaries. Penny obviously seemed to know what kind of money Leonard was making, so it's not so believable that he's totally clueless as to the money she is making. Especially since we've seen hints in past episodes that she's doing quite well.

Even before my husband and I were engaged and living together we knew the details of each others financial situations, and had discussed a financial plan for the future. We might not have known exact numbers in every account, but we had a general idea of how much savings/debt/investments each other had.

I agree. I think though the set up was that Leonard would be okay with Penny auditioning for the movie.

I think it's a hint to how unhealthy their relationship really is.  There is no real communication between them.

And having a fort in your living room is healthy?
  • Like 1

I agree. I think though the set up was that Leonard would be okay with Penny auditioning for the movie.

And having a fort in your living room is healthy?

I didn't say that at all.  In fact it's not healthy, I just think Leonard and Penny's relationship is more unhealthy.

I didn't say that at all.  In fact it's not healthy, I just think Leonard and Penny's relationship is more unhealthy.

I wouldn't put too much into Lenny and the money issue. I don't disagree that they should know there money issues but iMO thst wasn't what you were suppose to take from their storyline.
  • Like 2

yeah because they have communication issues to work on. No couple has EVER had that problem, EVER. [/sarcasm]

I actually think the communication problem is Penny and has always been Penny. I think it is one of the reasons Leonard still shows signs of insecurity, she still keeps secrets from him. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another secret about Penny to be learned in a future episode.

What I found actually ridiculous in this episode, is Penny being financially responsible, that is so OOC for her, as her character has been portrayed throughout the show as the opposite.

• Like 2

What anyone takes from a storyline or an episode will depend on how you view the show.  I get the feeling that shelpen will think anything that isn't perfect about Penny and Leonard or Sheldon and Amy  would be unhealthy.  Of course, there are many here who would and do think the way Sheldon and Penny treat each other is unhealthy.  Not to mention the ongoing conversation on how much of downright mean person Bernadette is.   

• Like 2

My niece and nephew did that when they were like 6. I don't think it was a milestone moment for them though.

The milestone wasn't the sleepover. The milestone was him comfortable enough around Amy, to ignore what the R.A. said about curfew.

• Like 5

My niece and nephew did that when they were like 6. I don't think it was a milestone moment for them though.

The milestone wasn't the sleepover. The milestone was him comfortable enough around Amy, to ignore what the R.A. said about curfew. Precisely. He deliberately and quite willingly defied his own agreement to have her stay over later. AND he didn't freak out at the revelation that she had overnight sleep packets stashed all over his apartment. That's the milestone.
  • Like 3

I thought the episode was good. I thought the Lenny scenes weren't that bad. Yes, they have things they need to work out, but each couple has their own issues to deal with. They will work through this. :shy:  Shamy was cute and the sleep over is a milestone as neither one has had a boy/girl sleepover with the person they are in a relationship with. Btw, If my boyfriend wanted to build a fort so we could sleep in it because he never got to as a child, I would be okay with it. If it made him feel better, it makes me feel better. I hope Howard's half brother shows up in later seasons or is mentioned. I would like to see their relationship progress. I loved instigating Will Wheaton and Kevin Smith was really funny.

• Like 3

I actually think the communication problem is Penny and has always been Penny. I think it is one of the reasons Leonard still shows signs of insecurity, she still keeps secrets from him. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another secret about Penny to be learned in a future episode.

What I found actually ridiculous in this episode, is Penny being financially responsible, that is so OOC for her, as her character has been portrayed throughout the show as the opposite.

i understand what you are saying but Penny didn't know what Leonard did with his money either. Their situation with money is still better than Howdette though.

What anyone takes from a storyline or an episode will depend on how you view the show.  I get the feeling that shelpen will think anything that isn't perfect about Penny and Leonard or Sheldon and Amy  would be unhealthy.  Of course, there are many here who would and do think the way Sheldon and Penny treat each other is unhealthy.  Not to mention the ongoing conversation on how much of downright mean person Bernadette is.   

Not saying that relationships are perfect, there is NO such thing as a perfect relationship, what I was trying to say is both couples have major issues they need to work out.

Ah yes. Another journey down the rabbit hole that is economics on TBBT.

Penny making twice as much as Leonard and accumulating enough money to need a financial adviser after 7 months on a sales job she had no previous education or training for, is a flight of pure fantasy. Having spent considerable time in my life in technical marketing, I was falling over laughing at the impossibility of the whole thing. Especially given Penny's previous indifference to formal academics. No amount of "inadvertent" boob flashing can overcome that.

I guess they are setting up for Penny to ditch the pharmaceutical sales rep job to try her hand at acting again. That would show her giving up a great deal to pursue her real passion.

• Like 1

Good point... I would have expected Penny to (initially at least) go on a massive spending spree with her new-found riches. We've seen bits of it here and there (ie: the helicopter) but compared to previous seasons she should have bought out half of Bloomingdale's by now! 

Not saying that relationships are perfect, there is NO such thing as a perfect relationship, what I was trying to say is both couples have major issues they need to work out.

how does having issues make them unhealthy?

Ah yes. Another journey down the rabbit hole that is economics on TBBT.

Penny making twice as much as Leonard and accumulating enough money to need a financial adviser after 7 months on a sales job she had no previous education or training for, is a flight of pure fantasy. Having spent considerable time in my life in technical marketing, I was falling over laughing at the impossibility of the whole thing. Especially given Penny's previous indifference to formal academics. No amount of "inadvertent" boob flashing can overcome that.

It's not necessarily fantasy.... I work in the drug research & development field, and sales reps can make a lot of money if they're good at it. Most sales reps don't need much experience other than some job-specific training (and maybe some training on the workings of the drug, but even then they don't need to know all the little details). Starting salaries generally are around $60k a year PLUS commission. So it can really add up fast if you're good at sales, and you're marketing a drug that has widespread use. It's entirely believable that she would be making quite a bit of money. 

Since she didn't do much in terms of schooling, I doubt she'd have much debt to pay off. So if she was covering her basic expenses by waitressing at the Cheesecake Factory (presumably at minimum wage), a salary of $60k++ would leave a LOT leftover.

• Like 3

It's not necessarily fantasy.... I work in the drug research & development field, and sales reps can make a lot of money if they're good at it. Most sales reps don't need much experience other than some job-specific training (and maybe some training on the workings of the drug, but even then they don't need to know all the little details). Starting salaries generally are around $60k a year PLUS commission. So it can really add up fast if you're good at sales, and you're marketing a drug that has widespread use. It's entirely believable that she would be making quite a bit of money. 

Since she didn't do much in terms of schooling, I doubt she'd have much debt to pay off. So if she was covering her basic expenses by waitressing at the Cheesecake Factory (presumably at minimum wage), a salary of $60k++ would leave a LOT leftover.

I think a physicist at Cal Tech though would still make more money?

Coincidentally, the "Expedition Approximation" is replaying right now, and the're having a discussion about money... LOL

I think a physicist at Cal Tech though would still make more money?

Depends if he's salaried by the University or if he's reliant on grant money

(in the Expedition Approximation, Bernadette mentions she makes "so much more" money than Howard) so I think they're implying that Cal Tech isn't paying a lot of money

Edited by ashleyo85

Good point... I would have expected Penny to (initially at least) go on a massive spending spree with her new-found riches. We've seen bits of it here and there (ie: the helicopter) but compared to previous seasons she should have bought out half of Bloomingdale's by now!

Maybe since she's getting married she's trying to tone down her spending habits?

Coincidentally, the "Expedition Approximation" is replaying right now, and the're having a discussion about money... LOL

Depends if he's salaried by the University or if he's reliant on grant money

but they said she made twice as much as Leonard?

I don't think they're major.  And your quite welcome to your thoughts on their relationship, my point was that your preferences, like mine, like all the other here, color their opinions.  

• Like 1

but they said she made twice as much as Leonard?

That's where the commission on sales would come in. Drug reps can double their base salary with commission if they're good at their job...

• Like 1

I thought the episode was entertaining. I the Leonard/Penny argument shows they still have to work on communication,love Wil Wheaton, he was having fun at their expense. The Shamy fort was sweet, the fact that he didn't freak out when she mentioned a sleep over. Also the way the episode ends they don't imply anything will happen but maybe it will be referenced at a later time that there was something that went on in the fort.

(these are just my opinions)

• Like 2

Did Bernie say what I think she did? That as soon as Howard went to Comic Con, she'd take a wrecking ball to it (whether the wall or whole house)? OMG!! That is soooo wrong! If my husband did that to a childhood home I inherited while I was out of town, we'd have serious marital problems!!

I'm pretty sure she meant tearing down the wall

why do you seem to enjoy knocking Shamy down?

The problem is her making twice Leonard's salary and accumulating enough to have a financial adviser in 7 months. First, as I stated, she does not have the educational accomplishment (almost all Pharma reps have at least a Bachelors degree). This assumes Penny is some sort of sales savant who is recognized as such by the sales manager despite her having only a high school education and appearing like a complete dope in her interview. Second, she would be given a "rookie territory", any patch that can generate that kind of quota return will be in the grasps of a veteran. Third, if she somehow was able to get such a lucrative territory, what kind of sales plan pays out that kind of cash in only two quarters of a fiscal year? And that assumes she had no probationary period.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

Luckily they have two seasons to go. Plenty of fodder for comedy as they continue to stuff up their odd coupling.