821 The Communication Deterioration (April 16)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Uhm, not that I would usually rush to defend SRAM but this episode was dreadful. This is the Speckerman episode of this season. On top of the lack of Amy (which is the least worst thing about the episode) it wasn't funny. I didn't laugh once and I'm sorry but the way Penny was mocking Leonard played out kinda mean. I hate to say it but SRAM has a point. Seriously, wtf did I just watch. This episode WAS NOT FUNNY, and for a sitcom, that's the biggest crime of all.

• Like 5

Uhm, not that I would usually rush to defend SRAM but this episode was dreadful. This is the Speckerman episode of this season. On top of the lack of Amy (which is the least worst thing about the episode) it wasn't funny. I didn't laugh once and I'm sorry but the way Penny was mocking Leonard played out kinda mean. I hate to say it but SRAM has a point. Seriously, wtf did I just watch. This episode WAS NOT FUNNY, and for a sitcom, that's the biggest crime of all.

You hit it on the head and that is what set me off, Penny seriously mocking Leonard. There sat what was suppose to be his best friend and woman who loves him mocking and laughing at him, in a very disrespectful way.

• Like 2

Episodes like this are unfortunately why casual viewers think there's a laugh track. Heck I found myself wondering if they had to amplify the laughs for this one. I can usually find some shred of something to like in an episode but not only did I not laugh but I was actually bored.

• Like 5

My wife was at the taping and mentioned she didn't think it was a very good episode. there were a lot of rewrites and the taping lasted almost 4 hours. I'm guessing that's not normal.

That doesn't surprise me, the Sheldon and Penny scene seemed forced and I really believe they mocked Leonard at the end to try and get a laugh out of it, but that scene was so wrong in so many ways.

• Like 5

My wife was at the taping and mentioned she didn't think it was a very good episode. there were a lot of rewrites and the taping lasted almost 4 hours. I'm guessing that's not normal.

That doesn't surprise me, the Sheldon and Penny scene seemed forced and I really believe they mocked Leonard at the end to try and get a laugh out of it, but that scene was so wrong in so many ways. It was flat out mean spirited. It sounded questionable in the report but it played so much snarkier than I thought it was going to.
  • Like 4

Thought it was just okay when I saw it being taped and just okay when I watched it again tonight. My favorite part was Sheldon singing the different songs, lol. But watching it just reminded me of how looooong the taping dragged out, because they had to changed so many of the jokes (and let's be honest, it still wasn't the funniest episode by a long shot).

• Like 4

So, we are supposed to believe that after nearly 8 years of being around him, Penny goes to Sheldon for life advice? Sheldon, who can't drive a car or live by himself or have a normal relationship with a female, is now an "Alpha" Male?

Wow, I can see why the taping was so long and full of rewrites.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 7

WTF did I just watch, an episode that trashed Leonard. Penny and Sheldon laughing and mocking Leomard together. Leonard now is a omega and Sheldon is an alpha? Penny now likes to knock like Sheldon, WTF. Now I want Leonard and Penny to break up, he is too good for her, let her drink herself into obivian.

I got the vibe that that was penny mocking Sheldon's knock. So if Sheldon & penny mock Leonard behind his back, its bad. But its acceptable if Leonard & penny mock Sheldon behind his back? Strikes me as a double standard.

So, we are supposed to believe that after nearly 8 years of being around him, Penny goes to Sheldon for life advice? Sheldon, who can't drive a car or live by himself or have a normal relationship with a female, is now an "Alpha" Male?

In certain aspects he can be an "alpha male", I can lead a dietary aide & dishwasher while I'm head cook. But for the life of me, I couldn't lead my ultimate summer team last year to save my life.

I'm sure Sheldon's " all logic, little to no emotion" approach is sometimes useful when approaching situations in life.

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 2

I forgot to record tonight's episode, so I cannot wait to watch it on demand tomorrow. Based on a few comments, I feel like I'm going to say, "Poor Leonard" a few times while watching it. Although, I've said it quite a bit this season. Leonard is actually my second favorite character (after Amy) on the show. I miss confident, take charge Leonard. Heck, I miss Johnny, I feel sometimes like he's a second tier character and not apart of the big three so much, jmho.

• Like 3

I got the vibe that that was penny mocking Sheldon's knock. So if Sheldon & penny mock Leonard behind his back, its bad. But its acceptable if Leonard & penny mock Sheldon behind his back? Strikes me as a double standard.

In certain aspects he can be an "alpha male", I can lead a dietary aide & dishwasher while I'm head cook. But for the life of me, I couldn't lead my ultimate summer team last year to save my life.

I'm sure Sheldon " all logic, little to no emotion" approach is sometimes useful when approaching situations in life.

I seem to remember that neither Leonard or Penny are engaged to Sheldon, but I'm beginning to wonder about Penny. Actually I'm not that mad at Sheldon, he is an asshole, so I'm used to his selfish self centered ways, it's Penny who is the bitch, and the horrible girlfriend. An I don't know how you got she was mocking Sheldon's knock, she was not sarcastic or smiling when she said it.

• Like 5

Can you point out where Leonard and Penny were even together in this episode?  And Sheldon stated that it may have started as a joke, but she enjoyed it, which she admitted to.  So exactly where was Penny mocking Sheldon behind his back? 

• Like 6

Well I must be stupid and mean because I loved it, both the night of the taping and again tonight.

I thought it was very funny and the bit where Penny was mocking Leonard was, as I see it, a reaction to the things he had said during the podcast. She did now what he would say because he'd already said it.

To me it was not about Penny and Leonard nor about any of the couples, but simply about the dynamics between the guys. Penny's comments about Leonard were not an indictment of him as a man nor about the status of their relationship, but simply about this one situation.

And while Leonard did describe himself as a beta or omega, in some ways that is true about himself and Raj, however Leonard is more the type who leads quietly by being the sensible steady guy. It's not flashy and sometimes he struggles to be heard through all the craziness--and this show is often about the craziness--but that doesn't mean that he's powerless.

But I still found it funny--I loved the way Leonard and Raj were on the verge of tears when talking about ET, and it was funny that their idea turned out to be exactly what Sheldon and Howard had come up with. It doesn't mean that L/R are dumber than S/H, but simply that they all ultimately knew what would work.

I also loved the "building on that" scene and the "passive aggressive" scene.

I don't think they cranked up the volume of the audience laughter. I remember laughing a lot at the time and people clapping and laughing. The folks in my corner of the audience were having a good time.

• Like 6

I seem to remember that neither Leonard or Penny are engaged to Sheldon, but I'm beginning to wonder about Penny. Actually I'm not that mad at Sheldon, he is an asshole, so I'm used to his selfish self centered ways, it's Penny who is the bitch, and the horrible girlfriend. An I don't know how you got she was mocking Sheldon's knock, she was not sarcastic or smiling when she said it.

. Somehow I get the feeling that if Leonard mocked penny behind her back you wouldn't bat an eye. Also why does not being engaged to a character suddenly justify talking about someone behind their back?

So, we are supposed to believe that after nearly 8 years of being around him, Penny goes to Sheldon for life advice? Sheldon, who can't drive a car or live by himself or have a normal relationship with a female, is now an "Alpha" Male?

I rolled my eyes :icon_rolleyes: at this crap of Sheldon being an "Alpha Male." I think Leonard should dump both Penny and Sheldon -- who needs enemies when these two are around.

You have to wonder sometimes if the writers even know these characters ---  :wacko: .

• Like 4

The only part that was really changed was the scene about Jabba the Hutt. Originally the line was about dressing up as centaurs and the guy that sat on Leonard was handicapped and had a lifelong wish to ride a centaur. Otherwise there were only minor line changes, like adding the Beyoncé line.

The did edit the pretaped audition scene. The cut the last bit where Penny talked about having started a rumor about an actress and it turned out to be the girl she was talking about.

Other than that there were no major rewrites. They tweaked the blocking a bit in a couple of scenes and had some delays that must have been technical.

. Somehow I get the feeling that if Leonard mocked penny behind her back you wouldn't bat an eye. Also why does not being engaged to a character suddenly justify talking about someone behind their back?

If you can't understand, I'm not going to try and explain. I don't even want to argue about it, I tired of trying to justify myself, that is my opinion, only mine, if you don't like it, fine. Just state yours instead of arguing about mine.

• Like 1

The only part that was really changed was the scene about Jabba the Hutt. Originally the line was about dressing up as centaurs and the guy that sat on Leonard was handicapped and had a lifelong wish to ride a centaur. Otherwise there were only minor line changes, like adding the Beyoncé line.

The did edit the pretaped audition scene. The cut the last bit where Penny talked about having started a rumor about an actress and it turned out to be the girl she was talking about.

Other than that there were no major rewrites. They tweaked the blocking a bit in a couple of scenes and had some delays that must have been technical.

That's not actually true. They changed whole parts of the scene with the guys. In that first take Sheldon tickled all the guys or something. They changed that whole thing. I know it took at least 45 minutes to tape that last scene with all the guys. You could tell they were re-writes because Steve and the director came over with the pink sheets. In the cold open, they changed the itsy-bitsy spider song. In the scene with Raj and Leonard they changed the alpha-beta-omega jokes at least twice. There were a lot of rewrites, at least compared to the other tapings that I've been to.

• Like 4

While I don't think it was a good episode at all, I don't see how Penny's comment about knowing exactly what Leonard would say and him making a comment on the 40 different ways she rolls her eyes are different.  You would think that Penny said something awful about Leonard.  Maybe the fact that the episode was bad overall makes everything seem worse than it was.

• Like 4