821 The Communication Deterioration (April 16)

Tripper

Your Episode Rating  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

See what you get without Mayim in the episode (or just one pointless scene)?

Really bad, pointless episode imho.

You mean that without Mayim in the episode you get her fans trashing the episode?. ;)

I'm a fan of Mayim but I liked this episode despite her not being in it.

• Like 3

I think there have been now few episodes that really lack narrative substance and this one is no exception. 

Production aside, rewrites aside, bad gags aside, how this episode was presented really adds not much to the story. 

I am glad that they provided some progress from the Leonard-Penny tension revolving around Penny's career, and left it still ambiguous as to which way it will go. 

As some were disappointed with the absence of Amy, I was hoping to see more Howard-Bernadette. The cocktail scene in the kitchen is good, but not great. It is typical of how they interact and cute, however for some reason I was left wanting more. 

If they have decided to push Raj to the fringe and not pursue more romantic plot with his character, I would still like to see some closure with both Emily and Lucy. 

Bazinga.

• Like 2

I liked the way they did Penny and the audition. By going to it she was able to learn that she was finally done with acting and that the decision she made at the end of season 7 was the right one.  I thought it showed a lot of growth.  I also thought Penny was very pretty throughout the episode. Her hair was great along with her clothes and make-up.  As for the rest of the episode, I really did not find it to be that funny. I really get tired of the Leonard's lack of a backbone. The part where he talks about eating his grape nuts with club soda because Sheldon aid eating them with almond milk would be some kind of nut contradiction, I do not remember the exact line, was pretty lame on Leonard's part.  

• Like 5

See what you get without Mayim in the episode (or just one pointless scene)?

Really bad, pointless episode imho.

do you realize they had 62 episodes before Mayim was on the show? I don't disagree with your assessment of the episode but IMO it had nothing to do with her one pointless scene.
  • Like 3

I liked the way they did Penny and the audition. By going to it she was able to learn that she was finally done with acting and that the decision she made at the end of season 7 was the right one.  I thought it showed a lot of growth.  I also thought Penny was very pretty throughout the episode. Her hair was great along with her clothes and make-up.  As for the rest of the episode, I really did not find it to be that funny. I really get tired of the Leonard's lack of a backbone. The part where he talks about eating his grape nuts with club soda because Sheldon aid eating them with almond milk would be some kind of nut contradiction, I do not remember the exact line, was pretty lame on Leonard's part.  

I have to agree, if I had to pick the best scenes in the episode it would be the scene with Penny going to the audition and then the scene where Penny is with the girls and Bernadette convinces her to take them to dinner.  I really liked it at the end where Bernadette reminded her to take her purse, I think that was a reference to before when she never had any money and probably forgot her purse a lot, since she couldn't pay.

So , a bit late to the discussion cos I just had first chance to watch the episode but will pitch in anyway. 

Liked the opening. Found most lines the 4 guys threw around quite funny.

I didn't get much enjoyment out of the Raj/Leonard scene. I agree with the majority on this one - Leonard came out looking worse than he REALLY has been in the show. ( yeah, Sheldon often gets his way eventually but Leonard has still fought often over the years) He's had many moments in this show where he has put Sheldon in his place and this made out that Sheldon has 100% dominated everything which is not true. Omega male is an undeserved description of 8 years of Leonard. Different story with Raj - he is a wimp and dominated by others and that's almost been his thing for a long time. Don't like it but at least its been consistent. And didn't like the portrayal of them not being able to come up with any ideas early on. They've been very creative over the years.

Liked the scenes with Penny and Sheldon (although Penny does look WAY too happy to speak to Sheldon and Sheldon does seem overly excited to see her). I still thought their interaction was funny. The interplay about the joy of triple knocking was funny to me. Found the wise man dialogue hilarious. Personally think some here have seen the one very short 'mocking' comment way too close to heart. It was no worse than Leonard's tease of Penny's cooking in finale S7. ( yeah i know that was to her face rather than to someone else but it just wasn't a big deal for me. Leonard commented on her eye rolling to Raj too.)

My initial problem during the taping report was why have their scenes in this episode in the first place at the expense of Leonard and Penny talking about it. I know they had the talk on the podcast but there is no reason why they couldn't have a follow up discussion like they did in Season 7 during the acting career arc. For me that is where there is a valid complaint/concern for Lenny and their portrayal by writers. I got no problem with Penny talking to Sheldon. As Lionne said, these two have sought each other out often over the years. But a complete refusal to have Lenny interact in the whole episode at all when they could have had the follow up discussion was poor form for me. The audition seemed to be the B Plot with the A plot being the boys arguing over who would help Raj but the writers created an A Plot that eliminated any possibility of Lenny interaction while still providing an opportunity for Shenny. And again they just looked way too happy together. 

The Howardette scene was cute and made me laugh. It didn't mean much to the story but it had funny moments.

The fact Penny did go through with the audition, no matter how bad she felt she went, does still set up for getting the job since Kevin Smith was so in love with her in the podcast ep. It was really the AUDITION experience she was hating with the girl discussion. Its not like she dismissed the concept of the actual acting job. 

I liked the "you've got some money now  its about time you pay up since we basically fed you through the tough times" attitude of Bernadette at the end.

Overall, I thought it was a reasonably funny episode in terms of actual dialogue and jokes. Just not that interested in the stories themselves. And can the writers at least find a way to work an engaged couple into a scene or two? Not for me, or Lennies , just for the sake of the actual idea of them being an engaged couple. 

• Like 3

Personally think some here have seen the one very short 'mocking' comment way too close to heart. It was no worse than Leonard's tease of Penny's cooking in finale S7. ( yeah i know that was to her face rather than to someone else but it just wasn't a big deal for me. Leonard commented on her eye rolling to Raj too.)

Agreed hell Leonard's comment about Howardette on their wedding day and comparing them to things that Penny lacks, was far more insensitive and degrading; that was on someone's wedding day, THAT wasn't the time for sour grapes about your relationship with your significant other.  How people saw THIS as far more offending than something like THAT boggles my mind.

Agreed hell Leonard's comment about Howardette on their wedding day and comparing them to things that Penny lacks, was far more insensitive and degrading; that was on someone's wedding day, THAT wasn't the time for sour grapes about your relationship with your significant other.  How people saw THIS as far more offending than something like THAT boggles my mind.

I get that many people like to feed off the latest bad moment in analysing things these days and the writers have probably written Penny as a bit more distant of Leonard at times this year but Leonard has his moments too. Everyone has their moments of being mocked in this show. For me, its the prevailing humour of BBT. It does seem to get magnified when it comes to Leonard and has become a rallying point for a "lets break up Lenny' movement. I don't see it personally. I must have been doing marriage wrong for the last 23 years cos mocking happens both ways in my experience and it doesn't mean anything in the long run. Others have a more idealised perception.( Maybe that's why divorce rates have increased. Too many seeking perfection that is unattainable. We all have our smart arse moments. Doesn't mean the love is gone. But I digress.) I don't care about the mocking. Leonard said it last season in Locomotive - "Oh come on. We bust on each other. I wear dorky glasses, you might have a problem. It's all for laughs" People in love can hang shit on each others.

My only problem is the lack of engaged couple interaction in an episode that is written to avoid the possibility occurring while having Sheldon and Penny looking so happy together in conversation. It was funny but a bit too sweet and 'smiley faced' for me compared to their canon relationship model. That's all. I haven't seen Penny look this happy in the presence of someone since the rooftop dancing scene with Leonard. The problem for many Lennies is that the happiness is being shown in the presence of Sheldon when it should be with Leonard. It's a valid reaction if you are heavily invested in this not quite beautifully written relationship this season. But I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm still in the 'everything is fine with Lenny but it would just be nice to see more' camp. But I get the emotion being felt by the disgruntled.

• Like 6

He said certain qualities were  hard to find .He didn't say or imply anything degrading about Howardette or anyone else.

• Like 1

He said certain qualities were  hard to find .He didn't say or imply anything degrading about Howardette or anyone else.

I never said it was about Howardette or anyone else.  It was so obvious the comment was at Penny's expense that even Sheldon picked up on it.  Doing this at a wedding WAS NOT the time to be doing that at.  YOU DON'T do that at someone elses wedding, you just don't.

• Like 1

Forgot one thing in the slightly degrading Raj/Leonard scenes. I absolutely loved their tearing up over ET's death. That was the first movie that made me cry and everything they described was exactly how I felt from the crumbling flower to Gertie crying. Classic! See, if you can connect to an ordinary episode in some way you can still enjoy it!

• Like 1

I must say that I am really sad the way this season is going and I find that I dislike the episodes more and more. The way the characters are being written is IMO pathetic. I could not believe the Raj/Leonard scenes. The fact that Leonard was made to appear so pathetic was just inexcusable. So now he's an Omega? Wasn't he supposed to be the glue that held the group together? And Penny? What can I say. First she and Leonard are engaged and even if they are supposed to have talked about money (in the episode where she gives Leonard the money from selling the car he had given her when her old one expired) they never discussed the fact that she was making double what he made? Like, really? And we are supposed to believe that they are engaged, and will eventually marry? Doesn't look like it from what they show of their relationship. Also she goes to Sheldon for advice, and when he rightly asks her why she didn't go to Leonard, she just mocks him? She seems to hold Leonard in very low regards which is infuriating taking into consideration everything he has done for her.

I didn't like the episode at all , and found only one or two scenes funny. For me , at least, TBBT's quality of writing has been going steadily down hill for this past season and some part of season 7 as well.

• Like 4

Forgot one thing in the slightly degrading Raj/Leonard scenes. I absolutely loved their tearing up over ET's death. That was the first movie that made me cry and everything they described was exactly how I felt from the crumbling flower to Gertie crying. Classic! See, if you can connect to an ordinary episode in some way you can still enjoy it!

Yes, I think a connection makes a big difference.

I have only the vague recollections of ET and had long forgotten the emotional content. Perhaps I was put off by some of the fantasy elements of the movie and yet another movie with government agents attempting to capture an alien and having their efforts thwarted by a child on a bicycle. I recall enjoying the comedy elements near the beginning of the movie. I was a university student when it first ran in theaters.

The following is quite humorous about the behind the scenes. https://www.yahoo.com/movies/bp/e-t-turns-30-behind-scenes-look-young-192046511.html

I have only the vague recollections of ET and had long forgotten the emotional content. Perhaps I was put off by some of the fantasy elements of the movie and yet another movie with government agents attempting to capture an alien and having their efforts thwarted by a child on a bicycle. I recall enjoying the comedy elements near the beginning of the movie. I was a university student when it first ran in theaters.

The following is quite humorous about the behind the scenes. https://www.yahoo.com/movies/bp/e-t-turns-30-behind-scenes-look-young-192046511.html

OT: Never been that big on E.T.. Did make my big sister take me to see the original ANDROMEDA STRAIN at its release, when I was 10. Completely different kind of visiting alien. Not cuddly at all. Hehe

• Like 2

Evil Government guys were a staple of 80's movies - to be fair E..T. thwarted them by making the bicycles fly, but then the Government guys just stopped chasing them, leaving E.T. time to say goodbye to everybody - I always found that amusing  - that might have been the first big E.T. reference in TBBT :)

One tidbit of trivia I remember about E.T. and the government angle was that in the original film the government agents were armed when Elliot rode the bicycle over their heads. In the 2002 remaster, the guns were replaced with walkie talkies as Spielberg felt uncomfortable about that scene. For the latest Blu-ray release the guns were back, though.

• Like 2

Did make my big sister take me to see the original ANDROMEDA STRAIN at its release, when I was 10. Completely different kind of visiting alien. Not cuddly at all. Hehe

One of my favorite films. Didn't even bother to watch the TNT miniseries version, as that one did what a lot of remakes do: completely destroy the original premise in favor of being "topical" and "edgy" and "better." (Same goes for their version of Salem's Lot; the David Soul version from the 70's is the one I like. Nothing will make you piss your pants more than seeing Reggie Nalder's Nosferatu-like vampire suddenly pop into the frame, larger than life.)

One tidbit of trivia I remember about E.T. and the government angle was that in the original film the government agents were armed when Elliot rode the bicycle over their heads. In the 2002 remaster, the guns were replaced with walkie talkies as Spielberg felt uncomfortable about that scene. For the latest Blu-ray release the guns were back, though.

Yeah, that was one of the big changes cited by various people in the "anti-remastering" camp; first Lucas with Star Wars, then Spielberg with E.T. At least he had the good sense to include the original, unmodified version, unlike Lucas.

• Like 1

Hah. Maybe a lobby group (not the cinephiles) got onto him. Lol. But a film conservator I knew made the remark no kid today can ever see the original Star Wars. Sad

I never said it was about Howardette or anyone else.  It was so obvious the comment was at Penny's expense that even Sheldon picked up on it.  Doing this at a wedding WAS NOT the time to be doing that at.  YOU DON'T do that at someone elses wedding, you just don't.

If others brought up what could happing if their marriage didn't work out or speak Klingon when they specifically asked for no Klingon, a comment directed at Penny that could be though of either way is hardly a problem.

• Like 3

If others brought up what could happing if their marriage didn't work out or speak Klingon when they specifically asked for no Klingon, a comment directed at Penny that could be though of either way is hardly a problem.

i doubt penny would agree with you. Also why does the rest of them being insensitive suddenly justify Leonard's insensitivity?

But this is all beside the point. My point was that Leonard and/or Penny have done/said insensitive things to & behind each others back plenty of times to the point that I'm not sure why people found Penny's Leonard impression to be offensive.

Episode made me smile at some parts, but didn't make me laugh. Personally I think this is one of the "weakest" episodes in terms of humor.

The tidbits that made me smile:

1. Sheldon's version of "Eye of the Tiger".

2. Sheldon's snide facial reaction to Penny copying his knock.