The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

824 The Commitment Determination (May 7)

Your Episode Rating  

114 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I could handle the sadness but this episode really was too far fetched. Leonard cheating on Penny.

Leonard does have form.

He made out with Alice, while in a relationship with Prya.

Sheldon Cooper had an engagement ring in his desk, that is my major take away from this episode, I read the taping report and watched the episode twice, and it still makes my jaw drop - how does a man go from thinking social relationships are 'repulsive' to having an engagement ring in his desk? - Sheldon has come a long way in eight seasons, that's why I didn't understand Amy saying she wasn't getting anything from Sheldon in their relationship - just this season she got an 'I love you', an invitation for a sleepover and a makeout session on the couch, plus he had a freakin engagement ring in his desk, all of those things are little miracles for Sheldon - as Sheldon once said, how much faster can this thing go? - I understand that Amy was upset by Sheldon's Flash question while they were kissing, but he honestly wanted Amy's input on something that was important to him, he forgot about it quickly though and wanted to go back to kissing - I actually thought it was more hurtful for Amy to call Sheldon's interest in The Flash stupid, at least Leonard understood where Sheldon was coming from on that, which is why Shelnard continues to be the central relationship of the show for me.

As for Lenny, yes Leonard did a drunken stupid thing by kissing the girl on the North Sea boat, but he has a long way to go to catch up to Penny when it comes to doing drunken stupid things - sleeping with Raj and marrying Zach being two of the biggies - so I don't see one meaningless kiss being a deal breaker for their relationship, the timing for Leonard's admission certainly could have been better, but maybe subconsciously he had second thoughts about rushing into a Las Vegas elopement and was looking for a reason to put the brakes on it, and personally I would rather see a wedding at least on the order of Howardette's, with all the gang there, then Lenny getting married alone in Vegas - I did like how Leonard mentioned the lack of wedding planning this season, which has been noticeable, and even though the episode description said Sheldon pushed Lenny to pick a wedding date, all he really did was point out that they hadn't picked a date yet, Lenny took it from there and rushed into the elopement - Sheldon has to watch those innocent little comments, they caused a lot of angst in this episode.

As for the other two stories - Emily reminds me of Wednesday Addams with her macabre sense of humor - but  I can't tell if she really has feelings for Raj or is just messing with his head, in any case I can understand Raj being a little scared of her and of what she might do if he tries to break up with her, but saying 'I love you' to her when he doesn't mean it is just going to make things worse whenever he does try to break it off with Emily for real, Raj better have his running shoes on if and when that day comes. Stuart as the house guest who wouldn't leave was funny, but the weakest of the four stories, with Howard's mother gone and Stuart opening a beautiful new comic book store, there really isn't a good reason for Stuart to still be living there and imposing on Howardette's hospitality.

All in all it was an unusually angst ridden episode, but worked well a season finale with the two major cliffhangers involving the two main couples on the show,

one thing I would have preferred is one scene when the whole gag was together, as with The Avnegers they work better as a team than they do all off doing their own thing, but I understand that in the context of this episode that would have been hard to pull off - I will be looking forward to seeing how things get resolved in season nine - my predictions, Lenny don't get married in Vegas but do set a date for the wedding, and Shamy work things out leading to Sheldon proposing sometime in season nine.

it was another enjoyable season on TBBT and it will be a long wait for season nine to start, but this episode gave a lot to speculate about during the Summer.

Edited by luke
  • Like 2

I finally watched the episode. Lenny&Sheldon scenes were really funny, I laughed a lot. Howardette&Stuart was fine too. I just miss all the gang together, they had too many seperate stories this season.

My heart is really broken for Penny. She was so excited and happy and then just hit the bottom. Kaley really was amazing, you can see real disappointment on her face. Such a shame.

And Shamy... I am just sad both Sheldon and Amy. I truly understand Amy's feelings but can't help feeling sad for Sheldon too. They are so in love, it shouldn't be that hard :(

But I am sure, all of these will work out fine, more than fine.

He has a ring!!!!

• Like 1

I wondered if the reason that Sheldon knew so much about Leonard's ring was that they bought the two of them at the same time.  Now that would be something....

• Like 3

I thought it was a great season finale last night.  I really like it 

I will agree to that. Ties with the season 5 finale, for me. (Up until yesterday, this was my favourite season finale).

I understand that some people don't like the drama, but to me not everything has to be funny. I understand that this is comedy, but once in a while things have to be stirred up a bit. And for that to happen, I won't say no to a little drama. 

So I gave this episode a very good. (I'm still keeping excellent for Shamy coitus and Lenny wedding :p )

I wondered if the reason that Sheldon knew so much about Leonard's ring was that they bought the two of them at the same time.  Now that would be something....

I believe Leonard had his since season 5 finale. By that point we were all excited that Sheldon took Amy's hand, I don't think a proposal was in his mind.

No, I don't think that's the case.

• Like 1

I have mentioned this in other threads, but I think Sheldon and Amy's main problem is that they're speaking different "Love Languages"

Quality Time

Words of Affirmation

Gifts

Acts of Service

Physical Touch

Think about how each of them express or receive love--If one person speeks Greek and wants to hear Greek spoken to them, while the other one speaks German and wants to hear German spoken to them, well, there's bound to be miscommunication.  One needs to learn a little Greek and the other needs to learn a little German and they can figure out how to communicate.

If Amy feels more loved when Sheldon spends Quality Time with her, for instance--focusing on how much he loves her, focusing on the two of them being together, rather than on which gaming system he should buy or what TV shows he should watch, or watching Star Trek or Star Wars or Dr. Who--then Sheldon would do better with her.  She also feels loved through Physical Touch.  Sheldon's learning a bit about that, but just a bit.

For Sheldon, it's more about Gifts and Acts of Service, and Words of Affirmation.

At any rate, it seems to me that while they've both heard the words of affirmation, they are still miscommunicating on other ways.

• Like 3

I don't. He may have got it from the same place. I think he got the ring after the ILY but before the mother's visit. I think he was going to propose at the end when he found out Lenny was getting married. That's why he so interested in their wedding planning and setting a date.

Edited by Chrismo

Finally watched it.

Even though I was spoiled, it was a strange episode.

I loved the Lenny / Sheldon interaction, I laughed a lot during those parts.

I quite enjoyed the Howardette / Stuart plot I laughed hard when I saw the " birthday cake ".

S9 is going to be about how to part ways with Stuart for Howardette and Emily for Raj. Poor Raj who can't break up with someone.

But for Lenny and Shamy, sorry but I don't buy it one minute.

Even though Sheldon has not been perfect this season, Amy's decision to have a break is so off, and the fact that it's announced with so few words. Like the kissing at the beginning, I feel that something is definitely missing. I get that they can't show everything in just 20 minutes, but a little development would have made it more fluid.

• Like 2

The Big Bang writers are incredible.  They put four story lines into a half-hour show without seeming rushed or short-changing any of the lines.  Some of us do not like what happened in one or more of the lines, but achieving an approximation of a quaduple cliff-hanger deserves respect. 

A year or two ago in an on-set interview, Jim Parsons talked about how he enjoyed working with Mayim, and hoped that the writers would never break up the couple.  He also said he couldn't see how it could happen.  Perhaps the writers watched the interview and took it as a challenge.

My wife thought that Sheldon's introduction of the Flash TV show commitment might have been a way to lead into discussing a deeper commitment between Amy and Sheldon, perhaps even a proposal.  I thought it might have been his way of asking for a lowering of the intensity of the make out session so he could regain control of himself.  I do sympathize with his fear of committing to a TV show until it has survived its first year.

• Like 3

What I do know is, I hate the lack of interaction between the storylines.  It has happened repeatedly this season, including just last week.  The show is starting to feel like two different series:  L/P/S/A and R/H/B.  Please, writers, once you resolve these cliffhangers, can we mix it up a little more?

I so agree with you.

• Like 1

I don't. He may have got it from the same place. I think he got the ring after the ILY but before the mother's visit. I think he was going to propose at the end when he found out Lenny was getting married. That's why he so interested in their wedding planning and setting a date.

You're probably right.  I guess I was attributing feelings to Sheldon probably are too much for him to ever be...

the line about people watching a show even as the quality decreases probably applies to this show as well.....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 2

the line about people watching a show even as the quality decreases probably applies to this show as well.....

Only if one believes the quality is decreasing, which I personally do not.  Just because one doesn't like certain aspects of the show or it's not being written the way one would personally like the show to be written doesn't mean that the quality is decreasing.

Everyone wants to write the show in their own image, but that's not necessarily the story the writers are telling.  I think the writers are doing a great job, especially with character growth and development over the past 8 years.

Looking forward to more.

• Like 2

I feel happy for Amy because, although she's suffering with this time out, this is finally Amy putting herself first.

But my heart broke a little over Sheldon and goddamn you Parsons for being so freaking awesome!!!

I am baffled by how they treated Lenny. What the actual fuck? Why did they need to put drama on their relationship again? It was going great! I honestly cannot believe that after years of Leonard pining for Penny, he just kisses some smoking lady while away at work, right after Penny FINALLY tells him she loves him. I am beyond pissed.

I agree and I could smell this separation coming for awhile now, I know a lot of people didn't want it, but to me it was obviously coming. To see Sheldon be the one to lean into a kiss and Amy pull away, That is HUGE, and it needs to be exploded/explained. I knew this episode was going to hurt for what I believe will end up as a positive for Shamy.  ... Lenny, I don't know about all that! I don't see the need I guess to pull this all up now.

• Like 2

I agree and I could smell this separation coming for awhile now, I know a lot of people didn't want it, but to me it was obviously coming. To see Sheldon be the one to lean into a kiss and Amy pull away, That is HUGE, and it needs to be exploded/explained. I knew this episode was going to hurt for what I believe will end up as a positive for Shamy.  ... Lenny, I don't know about all that! I don't see the need I guess to pull this all up now.

"To see Sheldon be the one to lean into a kiss and Amy pull away, That is HUGE" - I totally agree. REALLY HUGE. WAS NOT EXPECTING. I'd also like if they won't rush things with Shamy, like they make up within one episode. I mean, c'mon... They have problems, and if ever, it would have been nice if Sheldon pursue Amy. Cute. 

• Like 2

My first post on this forum. 

The last episode is the reason I finally decided to air my views on the show.

They've had 5 , maybe 6 great seasons. Now it's just a matter of finishing it off without making it too messy and .......

Please , Chuck and Bill , end it well . This show deserves it.

• Like 3

Part of the goal of this episode has to be to get people to watch the season 9 opener.  I think people will be wanting to see how this pans out.

To me the Sheldon Amy timing did not seem out of place. In fact perhaps what we see here is what Sheldon has always feared. If he were to become intimate  he would mess up some how and he would loose Amy. In the season 8 opener Sheldon wanted Leonard to pick him up but he did not want Amy along because he was afraid of what she would think of him. Now he is kissing Amy but oblivious to the notion he ought to be present in the moment. So Amy wants a break. My guess is that a break will actually help. Perhaps after a break Sheldon will kiss her like he cares she is there.

I think each of the the other three story lines were set up to parallel the Sheldon Amy story line in their own way. The Leonard Penny arc was bigger going back to the season 7 opener. It was more contrived because the writers had to cheat to make that connection. The Emily Raj story was set up by a short arc. The Howard/Bernadette/Stewart story was just a comedic parallel the way the Raj/Cinnamon bits once were.

The way it was set up there was an interesting differences between Sheldon, Leonard, Raj and Stewart.

1. Sheldon was oblivious. He knew something went wrong but had no idea what.
  2. Leonard was truthful about his own failure and tried to mitigate it (he could have been quiet) but put his foot in his mouth as he has done before.
  3. Raj was scared of Emily. Too scared to let her know. The ILY was a cover.
  4. Steward managed to manipulate H/B. If it was not manipulation it worked in his favor anyway.

Steward is also the one with an arts background rather than science or math.

Since Mayim has a contract I don't think the break will last. Well barring Mayim deciding to quit do to personal issues or something (I doubt that will happen).

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 4

If Amy leaves for good, I don't think I'd be able to continue watching TBBT.

No need to panic. Won't happen.
  • Like 1

I just noticed Chuck Lorre's vanity card for this episode.  At the end, there's a mathematical expression.  I couldn't resist working it out, but I need some help on the last part.

The fraction comes out to be 225/157, e^(i*pi) = -1, the determinant of the matrix is 314, 95 mod 12 is 11, and log base 2 of 1024 is 10.  All together, that first term is -495.  What I don't know is what the V means, or is it a Greek letter nu?  Unsolved puzzles annoy the crap out of me, so assistance would be appreciated.  

Part of the goal of this episode has to be to get people to watch the season 9 opener. I think people will be wanting to see how this pans out.

To me the Sheldon Amy timing did not seem out of place. In fact perhaps what we see here is what Sheldon has always feared. If he were to become intimate he would mess up some how and he would loose Amy. In the season 8 opener Sheldon wanted Leonard to pick him up but he did not want Amy along because he was afraid of what she would think of him. Now he is kissing Amy but oblivious to the notion he ought to be present in the moment. So Amy wants a break. My guess is that a break will actually help. Perhaps after a break Sheldon will kiss her like he cares she is there.

I think each of the the other three story lines were set up to parallel the Sheldon Amy story line in their own way. The Leonard Penny arc was bigger going back to the season 7 opener. It was more contrived because the writers had to cheat to make that connection. The Emily Raj story was set up by a short arc. The Howard/Bernadette/Stewart story was just a comedic parallel the way the Raj/Cinnamon bits once were.

The way it was set up there was an interesting differences between Sheldon, Leonard, Raj and Stewart.

• Sheldon was oblivious. He knew something went wrong but had no idea what.
  • Leonard was truthful about his own failure and tried to mitigate it (he could have been quiet) but put his foot in his mouth as he has done before.
  • Raj was scared of Emily. Too scared to let her know. The ILY was a cover.
  • Steward managed to manipulate H/B. If it was not manipulation it worked in his favor anyway.
Steward is also the one with an arts background rather than science or math.

Since Mayim has a contract I don't think the break will last. Well barring Mayim deciding to quit do to personal issues or something (I doubt that will happen).

OMG!! That is exactly what I think is holding him back....fear of MESSING IT UP when he finally does become intimate with her. All the other walls (touching, germs, his religious upbringing) has all been torn down. All that's left is his fear of failure.

And once he gets over that, in the words of Penny...."Oh, Amy, you lucky girl."

Edited by Kathr2611
  • Like 4