The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

824 The Commitment Determination (May 7)

Your Episode Rating  

114 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I just noticed Chuck Lorre's vanity card for this episode.  At the end, there's a mathematical expression.  I couldn't resist working it out, but I need some help on the last part.

The fraction comes out to be 225/157, e^(i*pi) = -1, the determinant of the matrix is 314, 95 mod 12 is 11, and log base 2 of 1024 is 10.  All together, that first term is -495.  What I don't know is what the V means, or is it a Greek letter nu?  Unsolved puzzles annoy the crap out of me, so assistance would be appreciated.  

Isn't the determinant -314? Then all together it's 495 and the "V" is 5 in the Roman numeric system, so the result is 500. 500th vanity card. :)

• Like 4

Wow! Quite impressive and well done! (Says the guy with a liberal arts education...)

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

We were expecting something a little more out of the common...

I mean, we kind of knew that Amy eventually will get tired of Sheldon... Leonard and Penny will get married...

It was so expected... I has lost it...

I hope season 9 will get us back in that beautiful world again, like the first seasons.

I agreed, the quality of the show is drecreasing tremendously....

I am not a writer, I am just a fan that miss was that show was all about.

Hope they get back track.

Peace

• Like 1

If Amy leaves for good, I don't think I'd be able to continue watching TBBT.

I would also, but she is renewed as far the show is renewed. If I remember it right, and a lot would hate tbbt if she leaves. Its like we have invested 5 years in watching Shamy, and then its gone. Thats definitely gonna hurt the fan base.

I liked where the discussion is going, I had a flshed back when you guys mentioned the season 8opener and reason why he didnt want Amy there. He didnt want her to see that side, and it hit me... wow shelly --- just wow. I love shamy

I mean, we kind of knew that Amy eventually will get tired of Sheldon... Leonard and Penny will get married...

Don't be to sure the wedding will take place. Lenard opened the door to a fight. Penny re-acted, but didn't call off the wedding YET. Vegas is a 4 hour drive (4 months to next season).

PS. IMHO it was way out of character for Sheldon to push Lenny into a wedding date.  

the line about people watching a show even as the quality decreases probably applies to this show as well.....

Sheldon describing Heroes. This is how I have felt throughout S8. 

Bazinga.

Isn't the determinant -314? Then all together it's 495 and the "V" is 5 in the Roman numeric system, so the result is 500. 500th vanity card. :)

Good catch on the determinant.  Sign error strikes again!

And it completely went over my head that V was for 5.  I was trying to think of named constants in physics.  It was a clever vanity card.

PS. IMHO it was way out of character for Sheldon to push Lenny into a wedding date.

Before deciding to commit to Amy, yes this would have been OOC, but to move forward with her, Lenny has to move forward as well. I think Sheldon was observing Lenny to help him grapple his own committment decisions in that his future is with Amy not Leonard.

• Like 2

I have to disagree with djsurrey on a few things. The most contrived thing in the episode was the Shamy " break up". It would of been believable a couple years ago but the horse was already out the barn on that storyline. The only saving grace for me was Sheldon and the ring. I'm a fan of Amy/Msyim but her acting at the end was awful. I'm willing to let it slide because of her father's death. I think the Sheldon and Raj story lines related more to Lenny. We got to see the ring because he believes Lenny is getting married. raj pulled a 6.2 Penny. penny was going to break up with Leonard she slept with him instead. In Raj's case he said i love you to Emily.

Thanks  .... I was geting crazy here  :shy:

• Like 1

Good catch on the determinant.  Sign error strikes again!

And it completely went over my head that V was for 5.  I was trying to think of named constants in physics.  It was a clever vanity card.

Exactly! It took me a few minutes before I realized that it's not a constant. Thank god Chuck is a nice guy and didn't put any integrals in there though, that would be my end, haha. Such a good idea and so fitting for TBBT.

• Like 1

"Sheldon to push Lenny into a wedding date" started as Sheldon deflecting attention from his own slow movement.

It continued because once Sheldon starts he expects closure.

From that point of view it was in character.

• Like 3

The most contrived thing in the episode was the Shamy " break up". It would of been believable a couple years ago but the horse was already out the barn on that storyline. 

Really? You don't think Amy hasn't reached a breaking point in this relationship?

• Like 1

I just discovered something about this episode that will blow everyone's minds and TOTALLY CHANGE how you see this episode, mainly the Lenny car ride.  The Denny's that does wedding chapel's in Las Vegas is ACTUALLY a thing that exists, and NOT just a joke that they made up.   :p

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 2

The Denny's wedding chapel reference is not the problem with the Lenny scene in the car going to Las Vegas. It is Leonard's confession about kissing the woman on the Hawking ship.

The Denny's wedding chapel reference is not the problem with the Lenny scene in the car going to Las Vegas. It is Leonard's confession about kissing the woman on the Hawking ship.

I thought it was obvious I was going for sarcasm with that post considering how over the top it was.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with djsurrey on a few things. The most contrived thing in the episode was the Shamy " break up". It would of been believable a couple years ago but the horse was already out the barn on that storyline. The only saving grace for me was Sheldon and the ring. I'm a fan of Amy/Msyim but her acting at the end was awful. I'm willing to let it slide because of her father's death. I think the Sheldon and Raj story lines related more to Lenny. We got to see the ring because he believes Lenny is getting married. raj pulled a 6.2 Penny. penny was going to break up with Leonard she slept with him instead. In Raj's case he said i love you to Emily.

Oo, interesting. I agree with a lot of this- including, sadly, MB's performance, on rewatch. I'm a huge fan normally, but neither the editing nor the writing of the opening and final sequences did Amy any favours. And yes, I think the showrunners may have kept her involvement light because of her father's death. JP carried the Shamy scenes- very ably, I might add.

I absolutely believe that quite a bit of the Shamy plot this finale served to jump-start the Lenny plot. The ring I thought was symbolic of Sheldon already being committed to Amy (i,e. being there or even ahead of Amy re: the pace of their relationship). 

As to Raj/Emily: good catch about the mirror image of the erstwhile Lenny plot. In general, we've spent so little time developing Raj and Emily's storyline that I could believe this was a callback. I'm sad that the show has given so little attention to Raj's romance this season. 

• Like 1

If Amy had reached a breaking point, it would have been after Sheldon's train trip or after he filled the Mars application.

NOW is totally out of place. If the writers wanted to have a Shamy break as a GOOD cliffhanger, they should have made the Mars application episode without the reconciliation as the last episode.

Having a break just because of a line when he did so much worse in the past is so weird and sounds illogical. I don't buy it. I just can't.

• Like 3

Hated the finale and pretty much this whole season as a matter of fact. This whole finale and a few episodes play out like a Shenny fanfiction. Penny and Sheldon seeing if they could fall in love? Amy breaking up with Sheldon? Leonard kissing another woman? Riiiiiiiight. To me, both scenarios smack of contrivance and unbelievability.

TPTB are sellin' but I'm not buyin'.

Edited by 5Mississippis
  • Like 3

If Amy had reached a breaking point, it would have been after Sheldon's train trip or after he filled the Mars application.

NOW is totally out of place. If the writers wanted to have a Shamy break as a GOOD cliffhanger, they should have made the Mars application episode without the reconciliation as the last episode.

Having a break just because of a line when he did so much worse in the past is so weird and sounds illogical. I don't buy it. I just can't.

I agree the Mars application was the time for it to happen. That involved Just the two of them. Sheldon taking off involved other factors.( Lenny living together, work, the comic book store)

As to Raj/Emily: good catch about the mirror image of the erstwhile Lenny plot. In general, we've spent so little time developing Raj and Emily's storyline that I could believe this was a callback. I'm sad that the show has given so little attention to Raj's romance this season.

I just think a Raj/Emily romance is believable. they certainly have more in common than Lenny. If you do break them up then what. you'll have s lot of story lines of him being the third wheel.
  • Like 1

I think the straw was that it was not only their 5-year anniversary, but she was physically charged by their interaction; the most they have ever had. Her heart was probably beating faster than it ever has before. She was hoping for confirmation from Sheldon that he was just as excited as her about 5-years. Rather than addressing his comittment to her, he is questioning committment to a tv show. She stops the moment to try to talk to him, and he acuses her of killing the mood. She continues to try to explain why she is upset. Heartbroken that he doesn't get it, whatever foundation that has kept her patient and understanding up until that moment just crumbled out from under her. Edited by jenafan
  • Like 7

Someone was complaining about the cutting back and forth between the H/B/S story and the Raj/Emily story, but I think it works well as in both of these segments there was a decision to be made, maybe a hard one, and in the end, the decision-maker(s) chickened out. Also, the decisions were played more for humor.

Then with the Lenny/Shamy stories, the "determination" to be made was more serious and the situation more serious, and possibly life-altering. And since these are also the main 3 (plus Amy), there's going to be more individual focus.

Also, the way they were paired made sense in terms of who hangs out with whom, and who seeks advice or bounces ideas off of whom.