The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

824 The Commitment Determination (May 7)

Your Episode Rating  

114 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Sheldon was going to sing to her in fish guts, whether he did or not wasn't seen and Amy is more than capable of telling Sheldon not to do things or stop him doing things, only have to look at aniexty when she kicked him out of date night for acting like a lunatic

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 1

Unnecessary but canon now. It did what the writers intended. This forum has blown up with all kinds of fandom speculation. The internet is abuzz.

The tag after the emotion of the Skype called needed some sort of symbol to end the series with and what better way to surprise people than with an unexpected engagement ring..... that doesn't mean Sheldon was going to propose anytime soon, just that he has a ring and is now confused as to what he should do with it

A very good point. It also caused us to feel more sympathetic for Sheldon over this whole ordeal and justify his behavior, because without that last scene, I think the fans' reaction to Amy's request for space would be quite different. Edited by jenafan
  • Like 1

As suggested by Tonstar 15, should not the last few comments be moved over or continued on a more appropriate thread? The discussion has moved beyond this episode topic.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 1

As suggested by Tonstar 15, should not the last few comments be moved over or continued on a more appropriate thread? The discussion has moved beyond this episode topic.

The quite few were moved. A better idea would have been to report a post you felt should have been moved. We get a notification of reported posts as soon as they are reported, we may not see posts that should be moved right away.

The quite few were moved. A better idea would have been to report a post you felt should have been moved. We get a notification of reported posts as soon as they are reported, we may not see posts that should be moved right away.

I did not know how this was done. I'm learning as I go. Thank you for informing me of the process. Edited by jenafan

I did not know how this was done. I'm learning as I go. Thank you for informing me of the process.

Just look in the lower left corner of every post and click on report. You can comment on the post you are reporting.

• Like 1

I re watched the episode and the car scene between Leonard and Penny is even worse than I thought. I hope they make extensive clarifications in S9 opener, otherwise I think I'm out. Leonard is NOT that guy. They just wrote him that way as they were having a massive brain fart. The other thing worth noting is that Kaley was perfect in that scene, absolutely perfect.

• Like 3

I hope they make extensive clarifications in S9 opener, otherwise I think I'm out. Leonard is NOT that guy. 

Under specific circumstances involving alcohol I can EASILY see a woman catching him off guard with a kiss and him being slow on putting a stop to it right away.  That doesn't mean I like it, it just means I think it's within the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

I re watched the episode and the car scene between Leonard and Penny is even worse than I thought. I hope they make extensive clarifications in S9 opener, otherwise I think I'm out. Leonard is NOT that guy. They just wrote him that way as they were having a massive brain fart. The other thing worth noting is that Kaley was perfect in that scene, absolutely perfect.

I have to agree with you (and the others) on the clarifications. With the way Leonard's explanation is right now, he's way OOC for me, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to watch a Leonard with this in his history. Alcohol doesn't mitigate that.

• Like 4

Alcohol doesn't mitigate that.

So you think he would've done THAT without the assistance of alcohol then?  

I'm really NOT getting why people think there aren't specific possible circumstances that could've led to Leonard doing something stupid like that.  

Big headed Leonard + a party crowd + a girl initiating a kiss with him + alcohol (that could slow down his reaction time to stopping it), I see as WELL WITHIN the realms of possibility for his character.

AGAIN this doesn't excuse the action, just that I can see how it's possible for him to screw up like this, and see it as WITHIN character.

• Like 2

I'm wondering what sort of clarification could come out now?

Unless they say she tripped and her tongue slid into her mouth when her lips fell onto his, I can't see a clarification.  They way he described it (There was kissing), is not a quick peck.  Neither is his observation that she was a smoker.  In my younger days, I might not know a woman was a smoker, until the kiss involved tongue (same thing my wife said).   And, unless the alcohol was forced down his throat, being drunk is not a mitigating factor. 

In my younger days, I might not know a woman was a smoker, until the kiss involved tongue (same thing my wife said).   

I can count the number of times on more than one hand where I "exchanged air" with women where I could know within a few seconds that she was a smoker, and it DIDN'T INVOLVE TONGUE.

• Like 1

I was surprised by the revel in this episode. Leonard apparently is not as strong as he might have hoped. He has surprised me before. Like with Mrs. Latham in 4.15.. Kind of yuck. Leonard does seem to fall into stuff. I recall Dr. Plimpton.

Is it really all that surprising that he fell for some kissing while he was away on a ship for months?

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2

Unless they are trying to wreck the ratings, they had better get Shamy back together, and fast.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

Unless they are trying to wreck the ratings, they had better get Shamy back together, and fast.

Yes and no. If the writers handle this properly by showing development that they are headed on the right track together, even if they drag it out, the ratings will be ok because we will keep tuning in to see the big make up.

If they fix this too fast, we will end up with more questions than answers and wonder if the underlying issues leading to the break have really been resolved.

Edited by jenafan

I just watched the season finale mainly because of real life but also because I really didn't want season 8 to end. And that's funny cause it never happened to me with any tv show but I guess it's probably cause I enjoyed season 8 so much that tried to extend it as much as I could. Also I wanted to take some distance and clear my head and not participate in discussions in order to take see things more objectively. The first thing I have to say about this episode is that - apart from the dramatic moments - it was truly funny. That's definitely a plus on my book since I laughed a lot throughout the episode and really enjoyed it as a comedy. I still want a finale with no drama and I am positive that these writers are more than capable of pulling this off and still make it finale material.

I really liked the Howardette in this episode totally in synch with no arguements and them making fun of Raj was gold. The Emily-Raj/Howardette-Stuart scene was hysterical. Though I believe Raj should break up with Emily (or at least be sincere about finding her kinda creepy and maybe not suitable for him) and that Howardette should ask Stuart to leave (maybe I am too suspicious but he seemed to manipulate them in order to stay) I totally enjoyed their efforts end up in complete disaster! I expect these will be resolved in season 9 but Howardette singing happy birthday to Stuart David Bloom was just hilarious!!!

Also hat's off to Jim Parsons and Kaley Cuoco for their performances. Penny was just hilarious and she probably got some of the best lines of the episode!! As for Sheldon although I had read the taping report I was taken aback by his attitude. He of course had his usual arrogant streak but he was really sweet being genuinely happy for Lenny and kinda confused when they were trying to convince him (and probably themselves) that they are not avoiding setting a date. Poor Sheldon looking so lost lol!!!

As for Amy though I stand by my first impression that she was overreacting (and the way it was played wasn't really helpful. During the first shamy scene she was way more agressive than I expected). But I guess I could find reason behind her behaviour if I count that incident as the insignificant thing (IMO let me add) that brought in surface something that was already there. Personally, I would still prefer a different timeline about that and I have said before so I won't expand on it and I could see it as a matter of can or cannot I be with someone who has certain unchanged behaviours rather than the pace of the relationship. It's just that it seems fine to me especially in season 8. Maybe it's Penny's line about not having sex yet which sounds natural coming from Penny's lips (no jugdment here just people having different priorities and it's perfectly fine) but I got the impression from Amy that her problem was Sheldon's state of mind at the moment and not that the make out came too late in their relationship. I would like the writers to stress that a little more but we do have a brand new season 9 ahead for them to make wonders with that path they chose. I am not the most pleased viewer in the world but I am positive that there is potential for very nice things so I will be waiting!! For now I totally enjoyed the make out, got so many feels from Sheldon trying to contact with Amy and got heartbroken with the both of them looking so sad. Poor Amy feeling so bad for asking a potentially ill-timed but deserved break -that I could accept could come off as aggresiveness at first cause she didn't know if she really had the right to ask for a break or if it means her love is not enough, I can totally see her struggling with that (and I can totally unvalidate myself but I am still trying to wrap my head about it now that I watched it :p ).Also poor Sheldon he was so compassionate and though he was lost in the most part of the interaction (or any interaction in this ep :p ) he kept calm just trying to understand and having the dignity to allow her the break she needed in a civilized manner after she explained - a courtesy she didn't receive in season 7 finale.

I left Lenny for last cause that was what made me really scratch my head. I mean ok I understand that Penny can forgive a kiss (especially if it turn out that Leonard wasn't such a willing participant) but I cannot see why bring something like that up now. I mean if the writers wanted they had other issues to touch - not having much in common, work - but they had to go with infidelity?? And I get that there are different opinions about if a kiss is cheating (by the way IMO it is) but why even get involved with anything even remotely connected with cheating?? The only thing I can think of is for Penny to realize that Leonard is indeed a desirable man but didn't that happen in season 6? Anyway I was really sad for Penny cause if they do get married her wedding night will also be the night she learned Leonard kissed someone else. And I may sound overemotional but it's kinda sad your wedding anniversary to be a reminder of that. So while I was excited for them and liked very much the idea of eloping and getting married now I hope they won't go through with it so we can get an exciting Lenny moment at their wedding

(eta: could I have said anymore times because or cause???? Sorry if that's a bit tedious.)

Edited by Cecilia
  • Like 3

I just watched the season finale mainly because of real life but also because I really didn't want season 8 to end. And that's funny cause it never happened to me with any tv show but I guess it's probably cause I enjoyed season 8 so much that tried to extend it as much as I could. Also I wanted to take some distance and clear my head and not participate in discussions in order to take see things more objectively. The first thing I have to say about this episode is that - apart from the dramatic moments - it was truly funny. That's definitely a plus on my book since I laughed a lot throughout the episode and really enjoyed it as a comedy. I still want a finale with no drama and I am positive that these writers are more than capable of pulling this off and still make it finale material.

I really liked the Howardette in this episode totally in synch with no arguements and them making fun of Raj was gold. The Emily-Raj/Howardette-Stuart scene was hysterical. Though I believe Raj should break up with Emily (or at least be sincere about finding her kinda creepy and maybe not suitable for him) and that Howardette should ask Stuart to leave (maybe I am too suspicious but he seemed to manipulate them in order to stay) I totally enjoyed their efforts end up in complete disaster! I expect these will be resolved in season 9 but Howardette singing happy birthday to Stuart David Bloom was just hilarious!!!

Also hat's off to Jim Parsons and Kaley Cuoco for their performances. Penny was just hilarious and she probably got some of the best lines of the episode!! As for Sheldon although I had read the taping report I was taken aback by his attitude. He of course had his usual arrogant streak but he was really sweet being genuinely happy for Lenny and kinda confused when they were trying to convince him (and probably themselves) that they are not avoiding setting a date. Poor Sheldon looking so lost lol!!!

As for Amy though I stand by my first impression that she was overreacting (and the way it was played wasn't really helpful. During the first shamy scene she was way more agressive than I expected). But I guess I could find reason behind her behaviour if I count that incident as the insignificant thing (IMO let me add) that brought in surface something that was already there. Personally, I would still prefer a different timeline about that and I have said before so I won't expand on it and I could see it as a matter of can or cannot I be with someone who has certain unchanged behaviours rather than the pace of the relationship. It's just that it seems fine to me especially in season 8. Maybe it's Penny's line about not having sex yet which sounds natural coming from Penny's lips (no jugdment here just people having different priorities and it's perfectly fine) but I got the impression from Amy that her problem was Sheldon's state of mind at the moment and not that the make out came too late in their relationship. I would like the writers to stress that a little more but we do have a brand new season 9 ahead for them to make wonders with that path they chose. I am not the most pleased viewer in the world but I am positive that there is potential for very nice things so I will be waiting!! For now I totally enjoyed the make out, got so many feels from Sheldon trying to contact with Amy and got heartbroken with the both of them looking so sad. Poor Amy feeling so bad for asking a potentially ill-timed but deserved break -that I could accept could come off as aggresiveness at first cause she didn't know if she really had the right to ask for a break or if it means her love is not enough, I can totally see her struggling with that (and I can totally unvalidate myself but I am still trying to wrap my head about it now that I watched it :p ).Also poor Sheldon he was so compassionate and though he was lost in the most part of the interaction (or any interaction in this ep :p ) he kept calm just trying to understand and having the dignity to allow her the break she needed in a civilized manner after she explained - a courtesy she didn't receive in season 7 finale.

I left Lenny for last cause that was what made me really scratch my head. I mean ok I understand that Penny can forgive a kiss (especially if it turn out that Leonard wasn't such a willing participant) but I cannot see why bring something like that up now. I mean if the writers wanted they had other issues to touch - not having much in common, work - but they had to go with infidelity?? And I get that there are different opinions about if a kiss is cheating (by the way IMO it is) but why even get involved with anything even remotely connected with cheating?? The only thing I can think of is for Penny to realize that Leonard is indeed a desirable man but didn't that happen in season 6? Anyway I was really sad for Penny cause if they do get married her wedding night will also be the night she learned Leonard kissed someone else. And I may sound overemotional but it's kinda sad your wedding anniversary to be a reminder of that. So while I was excited for them and liked very much the idea of eloping and getting married now I hope they won't go through with it so we can get an exciting Lenny moment at their wedding

(eta: could I have said anymore times because or cause???? Sorry if that's a bit tedious.)

With Amy this could actually be a carefully crafted attempt to get Sheldon on track with her 5 year plan. She has proven to be rather savvy with getting Sheldon to not break up with her (much like Sheldon's mother I might add). Assuming the writers actually do know exactly what they are doing with these two I think we will find in the season 9 opener that Amy has a plan. How well it works this time, well who knows but based on how things have gone before she will have Sheldon moving along. Naturally this is only a theory.

With regard to Leonard / Penny I don't really think it makes sense except something more may be reveled in the season opener and perhaps we will start to understand what the heck the writers are up to. The way they pull stuff out of a hat from years before this is totally unpredictable. for their next magic trick we will just have to wait and see whats coming out of that old hat.

With Amy this could actually be a carefully crafted attempt to get Sheldon on track with her 5 year plan. She has proven to be rather savvy with getting Sheldon to not break up with her (much like Sheldon's mother I might add). Assuming the writers actually do know exactly what they are doing with these two I think we will find in the season 9 opener that Amy has a plan. How well it works this time, well who knows but based on how things have gone before she will have Sheldon moving along. Naturally this is only a theory.

With regard to Leonard / Penny I don't really think it makes sense except something more may be reveled in the season opener and perhaps we will start to understand what the heck the writers are up to. The way they pull stuff out of a hat from years before this is totally unpredictable. for their next magic trick we will just have to wait and see whats coming out of that old hat.

I doubt (and really really hope) this isn't Amy's plan to move him along. I think the Table episode was one of Amy's worst moments. As I said after watching the episode it struck me more of annoyance about his state of mind at the moment rather than the pace of the relationship. I think Amy is just trying to come in terms with the thought that she might never be the most important thing in Sheldon's mind just like he can be in hers. I think she underestimates his feelings for the most part everybody deserves time to think about their life and feelings.

As for Lenny I could see more things coming up in season 9. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Like 1

It must be me Cecilia, but I see things in a completely different way from you. In the scene when Amy tells Sheldon that she wants to take a break I saw him as completely lost, as he could not believe this was happening to him, and dumbfounded as to why it was happening at all. I was really happy that it happened, though, because for me, at least it was a long tome coming, and as I've always say, while I like Shamy, I like Amy better, and it's time she stood for herself, and make Sheldon understand that her needs are just as important as his in the relationship, and that in order for the relationship to work, he has to stop being so self centered. Not completely, I mean , but at least a little bit. I hope they stay apart for at least 4 episodes. I really want Sheldon to value Amy and see to the full extent how much better off he is with her in his life.

In regards to Lenny, I think that the only thing that would do it for me would be if Penny dreamt the whole thing while they were en route to Vegas, and then doesn't want to get married there because the dream was a bad omen. Short of something like that, I feel as if they have completely destroyed the Leonard character.

I also loved the Howard-Bernadette-Stuart dynamic. I don't thin he was trying to take advantage of them. I think it was pure coincidence and what was funny for me is that with the particular set of circumstances, and how good he was being to them, they couldn't kick him out even if they wanted to.

• Like 3

LOL
  • Like 2

In regards to Lenny, I think that the only thing that would do it for me would be if Penny dreamt the whole thing while they were en route to Vegas, and then doesn't want to get married there because the dream was a bad omen. Short of something like that, I feel as if they have completely destroyed the Leonard character.

Nice idea but I don't think tbbt has ever had a dream sequence that was not reveled before the end of the episode.   

Nice idea but I don't think tbbt has ever had a dream sequence that was not reveled before the end of the episode.   

Not to mention if the show survived Penny "sleeping" with Raj, I don't see why the show can't survive Leonard making one mistake and not letting it happen again.

• Like 2