The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

822 The Graduation Transmission (April 23)

Your Episode Rating  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I know where to go to see a broken record. I'm sorry that Amy just didn't fit into the episode tonight.

I hope you aren't meaning that to be a dig at me because you are barking up the wrong tree.  I have never been bothered by screen time for some of the characters as I understand the dynamics of the show and it's casts and characters.  I really enjoyed this episode.

I hope you aren't meaning that to be a dig at me because you are barking up the wrong tree.  I have never been bothered by screen time for some of the characters as I understand the dynamics of the show and it's casts and characters.  I really enjoyed this episode.

ithen why the sensitivity to my original comment since you appear to agree with me?

ithen why the sensitivity to my original comment since you appear to agree with me?

I wasn't sensitive, I was just teasing you.  You seem to have at least some comment about Sheldon/Amy/Shamy in every episode review.  It usually involves comments about how they should have had less screen time or that they or their story wasn't needed or that it was too much or too boring, etc.  It just makes me giggle because these threads wouldn't the same without it.

• Like 1

This is it!!! One more to go until the finale explosion!!!

Koothrappali stole this episode. I laughed hard on him pitting his parents against each other and manipulating them both to give him more allowance. I want to know why he owns a t-shirt canon hahahaha.

I laughed my head off when Wolowitz was calling tech support while at the same time Raj's phone rang, "It's my father, you jerks!".

Edited by Chelle
  • Like 4

Hi all, I had to join your community as I had to tell everyone that I think this week's show might have been the best so far this season. I have watched BBT since it first came to TV. One of the only shows I watch. And imo, this season has been a bit lacking. Seems like Molaro & writers have not put in the effort, especially considering the cast all received nice contracts over the break. Anyway, I am looking forward to the two-part cliffhanger in the coming weeks.

Maybe Sheldon and Amy break up and AFF goes bye bye. Not an Amy fan. Sorry.

Yeah, AFF isn't going bye bye.  Mayim has been signed through the end of season 10.   

That was a fun episode - I really liked Leonard's 'invisible kid' commencement speech, it reminded me of the Imitation Game screenwriter's 'stay weird' speech at the Oscars this year - a good message for kids to hear, I was certainly an invisible kid in high school, they even got my name wrong at the graduation ceremony - and I  liked Penny being surprised at being on camera and saying 'stay in school and don't do drugs' - also a good message :)

• Like 4

This was one of the seasons better episodes, right up there with The Prom Equivalency & The Troll Manifestation.  Loved how Penny went out of her way to make Leonard's graduation speech through Skype possible.  And people still say she doesn't love him?  Also loved the guys reaction to Bernadette suggesting to call tech support.  They didn't look anywhere near as dorky as my brother (who's a computer programmer BTW) did, when his wife asked him the same question; his reaction was him using his Andre The Giant voice and paraphrasing his character from The Princess Bride, "Babe, I AM the tech support."

• Like 3

Didn't do much for me this one, S8 really hasn't really lifted for me and it is about to end. Maybe what I need is a rewatch. 

Good gags and one-liners. Good to see Raj's folks again. Too much helicopter playing.

Seems that the Pennard storyline is moving forward in a positive direction.

The fact that there was a token mentioning, just makes me miss Emily even more, she has been gone for too long.

Bazinga.

• Like 1

Didn't do much for me this one, S8 really hasn't really lifted for me and it is about to end. Maybe what I need is a rewatch. 

Good gags and one-liners. Good to see Raj's folks again. Too much helicopter playing.

Seems that the Pennard storyline is moving forward in a positive direction.

The fact that there was a token mentioning, just makes me miss Emily even more, she has been gone for too long.

Bazinga.

Perhaps you have never seen a puff of smoke escape from one of your projects? I thought that was priceless.

I gave it a very good.

One of my favorites of the season. Both the helicopter going rogue and Leonard modelling that graduation gown were some of the funniest things I've seen on the show in awhile. Leonard swinging his hips and going, "this is so freeeeeing!" was just hilarious and awesome. And Penny making this speech happen via Skype warmed my heart. Leonard's speech was awesome; he really nailed it. Mots of all, seeing how Penny and Leonard interact casually around the home shows why they are adorable as a couple. Nothing was mean-spirited, it was flirty and supportive and sassy and really adorable.

See? This is the Lenny we want and that exists, and the writers are capable of producing it. Why is it so hard for an episode to be like this all the time? Without the meanness and the snark?

I wish Amy could have been there, just walking in with Bernadette when she delivered the cable, when the helicopter went rogue. However, knowing that Mayim's father died over Passover, I know why Amy hasn't been around so much and my heart really goes out to Mayim. There was a period of time when Kaley broke her leg that she missed several episodes and honestly, I didn't even notice.

Not all characters have to be on screen all the time; if the stories are funny and the scenes are good and focus I'm actually happier. I prefer 2 stories at most in an episode, rather than 3 or 4 storylines, so that everything can be played out at a fun pace rather than squeezed in quickly. If you concentrate on just a few of the characters in one episode, you can always concentrate on the others in the next. I don't think it's that big a deal if 1 or 2 are sort of missing for an episode or two, and then come back later. As long as the story is sweet and funny like it was tonight, I think it's great. For instance, Howard and Sheldon hanging out without Raj or Leonard was actually pretty great, just like Raj and Leonard hanging out last week was interesting.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 3

I like Amy but to be honest I really didn't miss her in the episode .Same with Bernie. I guess that's why they are supporting characters.

Chrismo, you're a card. Never change, pet.

In all seriousness, though, here's an alternative perspective from the AV Club. 

Raj, Howard, and Sheldon try to fix an extravagant remote-controlled helicopter that Raj bought with his parents’ money, but even Bernadette finds time to pop in and criticize the guys for being childish (that’s her entire role on the show now, in case you had forgotten).

Amy has long been the counterbalance to Bernadette’s shrill critic; she’s the one who empathizes with the guys (because she’s just like them), but also wants to see them become better people. For instance, she obviously wants Sheldon to get over his intimacy issues, but she doesn’t make fun of him or yell at him for being stubborn or childish. Instead, she uses empathy to create trust, and therefore intimacy. That kind of heart is something the show needs, something that’s missing with every story that doesn’t include Amy.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 3

Pretty solid classic BBT episode. Enjoyed happy Lenny for once and Penny doing something for him. And it was cute and funny when he came out in the gown.

The other plot did remind me of season 2 guys. Although Sheldon has softened even in regards to Howard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Perhaps you have never seen a puff of smoke escape from one of your projects? I thought that was priceless.

I gave it a very good.

I have seen worse. Out of all the characters, I identify with Howard the most. However, maybe that is why I could smell the puff smoke coming long way out. 

Like I said, some good gags. 

Bazinga.

The episode was really good.
Loved that Sheldon and Howard hang out together again
Leonard looked great in that graudation outfit grin.gif
Loved Leonards speech clap.gif
And it was amusing when he showed Penny beeing bored lol.gif
Rajs story with his parents amused me too lol.gif
I cracked up when that little helicopter flew around in the apartment lmao.gif
And the end was great too with that little helicopter coming out of the Sheldon/Leonard apartment lol.gif
Funniest end ever lol.gif
  • Like 4

it was a good, light-hearted and FUNNY episode! i enjoyed it   :) :) :)

Leonard was so cute and playful! 

Edited by tbbtluv
  • Like 6

Itwasdestined: I couldn't agree more with each and every point you make. Great post and thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 3

I also liked that we saw Raj's parents "live," so to speak, rather than on Skype (especially Mrs. Koothrappali). To me, it makes them seem more "real." And playing divorced (or, in this case, divorcing) parents against each other to get what you want? Ding, been there! Of course, it didn't work for very long, but what can you do? ;)

• Like 4

OK, well based on the postings it seems that there are a number of TBBT fans that share my feelings about the somewhat lackluster plot lines/writing this season, up until last night's bright spot.  And there is no reason that one couple or the other needs to be relegated to the background for the whole season, as it kind of seems that "Lenny" has been this year.  It doesn't have to be a mostly Lenny or mostly Shamy focus.  With the 20 minutes or so allotted to each episode (if even that, with all the commercials) I realize they can't explore anything in depth, let alone covering multiple story lines to any degree (although we had 2 story lines last night).  But each episode can certainly focus on one of the couples and perhaps cover another couple more in the next episode.  We should all be able to enjoy the situational comedy of our fav couple during a given season.

• Like 6

Raj, Howard, and Sheldon try to fix an extravagant remote-controlled helicopter that Raj bought with his parents’ money, but even Bernadette finds time to pop in and criticize the guys for being childish (that’s her entire role on the show now, in case you had forgotten).

Amy has long been the counterbalance to Bernadette’s shrill critic; she’s the one who empathizes with the guys (because she’s just like them), but also wants to see them become better people. For instance, she obviously wants Sheldon to get over his intimacy issues, but she doesn’t make fun of him or yell at him for being stubborn or childish. Instead, she uses empathy to create trust, and therefore intimacy. That kind of heart is something the show needs, something that’s missing with every story that doesn’t include Amy.

THIS. FREAKIN' THIS. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I'd give the person who wrote this 50 thumbs up. EXACTLY why I also love Amy as an individual character. She and Penny knows how to reel in their respective guys and by extension, Wolowitz and Koothrappali without being condescending. My favorite non-Sheldon pairings are in "The Scavenger Vortex" wherein she teamed up with Howard for the Raj's scavenger hunt and "The Occupation Recalibration" wherein she willingly turned to Howard and Raj to solve her unwanted suitor dilemma.

Bernadette's character is funnier and lighter when she's with Penny and/or Amy, when she's being girly or when she's facing girl problems. When she's with Wolowitz she swings from being a domineering mother figure to in-your-face-I'm-in-charge wife.

Edited by Chelle
  • Like 1

great episode, lot of laughs

like with howard and sheldon working on the

drone, than called for help.

what a great fiancee penny is helping leonard out

to bad they could not go to NJ. agree with bangermain

it was great to see "team hofstatler"back.

• Like 6