The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

822 The Graduation Transmission (April 23)

Your Episode Rating  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Very funny episode--loved all the gags with the helicopter, "At LEAST 10 times?" :p

I also loved Howard petting it at the very beginning.

Leonard was very funny flirting in his shorty gown, tying the sash around his waist, etc., very cute.

So, I don't remember it being mentioned in the TR (read it such a long time ago) but was the little drone really being flown around on set during the taping?  I was wondering if some of that was pretaped--like when Howard and Sheldon have to duck out of the way and it knocks over the lamp.

I loved Raj's phone ringing when Howard called Tech Support and the way they all looked at him.  And the bit about feeling like an old fogey for having to call in the first place, the bit about "the music kids listen to these days".

So much fun.  And while I know why Amy wasn't in more scenes, I don't see where she would have fit in.  Bernie was there only because she came to bring Howard a tool he needed.  I can't imagine Amy just sitting around with them while they played with the helicopter.

And I loved when Howard took it all apart and was a little stunned.

It reminded me of a story about this guy I went to school with.  He had some student's bassoon that he was confident he could work on and he took all the keys off and then couldn't figure out how to put it back together.  He ended up taking it to a music store repairman in a bag...

I love Raj playing his parents, promising helicopters, and then a trip to Vegas for everyone. :p

Looking forward to the last two episodes!

(And for the record, I thought last week was just as funny as this week.)

• Like 3

Very funny episode--loved all the gags with the helicopter, "At LEAST 10 times?" :p

I also loved Howard petting it at the very beginning.

Leonard was very funny flirting in his shorty gown, tying the sash around his waist, etc., very cute.

So, I don't remember it being mentioned in the TR (read it such a long time ago) but was the little drone really being flown around on set during the taping? I was wondering if some of that was pretaped--like when Howard and Sheldon have to duck out of the way and it knocks over the lamp.

I loved Raj's phone ringing when Howard called Tech Support and the way they all looked at him. And the bit about feeling like an old fogey for having to call in the first place, the bit about "the music kids listen to these days".

So much fun. And while I know why Amy wasn't in more scenes, I don't see where she would have fit in. Bernie was there only because she came to bring Howard a tool he needed. I can't imagine Amy just sitting around with them while they played with the helicopter.

And I loved when Howard took it all apart and was a little stunned.

It reminded me of a story about this guy I went to school with. He had some student's bassoon that he was confident he could work on and he took all the keys off and then couldn't figure out how to put it back together. He ended up taking it to a music store repairman in a bag...

I love Raj playing his parents, promising helicopters, and then a trip to Vegas for everyone. :p

Looking forward to the last two episodes!

As for the drone actually flying around during the taping, I highly doubt it. It would have been way too dangerous because you can easily get killed by these things.

And before you ask: Yes, that happened before. :)

Edited by FileXxX

I laughed continuously through this episode.

I loved the geeky stuff with the airplane. Bernadette telling them to call tech support and them scoffing her and then when Raj's phone rang as Howard called....I knew it was coming and I still laughed hysterically.

I loved the Lenny storyline, wish they could have had more like that this year. It was so sweet, I sighed....she was so good to get him to be able to Skype the speech and his line about seeing his mom if they had made it to New Jersey had me in stitches.

So many funny lines and classic BBT last night.

I loved this episode.

• Like 4

Very funny episo

You seem to be in the minority on this one. Even my wife mentioned that she wished she had been at this taping instead of last week's.

Finally, we got a great Lenny plot! Why the writers couldn't have done this every few episodes this season is beyond me. Just let us see them having fun together every once in a while.

I really loved watching Raj manipulate his parents. "Helicopters for everyone!"

I did miss Amy.

• Like 4

You seem to be in the minority on this one. Even my wife mentioned that she wished she had been at this taping instead of last week's.

To me it looks like you're just trying to ruin it for Phanta for no particular reason. I can't see where it was that awful.

It's funny that on the other forum the reaction is kind of the opposite--most people, in fact almost everyone, loved last week's episode, but surprisingly many people found this episode boring or not as funny as people here found it.  I was surprised to read complaints about it (and, no, it wasn't about a lack of Shamy) because so many people here liked it so much.

It's funny that on the other forum the reaction is kind of the opposite--most people, in fact almost everyone, loved last week's episode, but surprisingly many people found this episode boring or not as funny as people here found it.  I was surprised to read complaints about it (and, no, it wasn't about a lack of Shamy) because so many people here liked it so much.

I saw the other thread and what I saw seemed to like the episode. I didn't look at last week's comments. I find it hard to believe there Lenny fans who said that. I found it interestingly on here that there has been some who normally comment on every episode seemed to be quiet this week. I wonder why that is.

I saw the other thread and what I saw seemed to like the episode. I didn't look at last week's comments. I find it hard to believe there Lenny fans who said that. I found it interestingly on here that there has been some who normally comment on every episode seemed to be quiet this week. I wonder why that is.

I went to the episode thread on the other site and the post-episode responders (item's #19 - 36) only had one comment (item #31) that was negative and another (item #20) who commented that this was not their favorite eps of the season but it was still funny in places.

The rest were very positive as you would expect from the happiest TBBT fans on the web. :icon_wink:

• Like 2

Hmmm. I rated both very good and actually the one before that too. I have to go all the way back to S819 The Skywalker Incursion for one I did not like so much (gave it an ok).

I'm sure I could start finding some faults with this episode if I was so inclined. Like who would call tech support after taking the drone apart, putting it back together and smoking it. What the heck is tech support going to do on the phone after smoke comes out? If Howard had not opened it up they could have offered to replace it. That is about it. Since the show is a sitcom I was not going to let that detail bother me. The puff of smoke was funny. These writers clearly are not electronics hardware guys and while they have a science consultant I don't think they have a tech consultant. Howard was probably acting more like Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor than like a aerospace engineer. If the done can't self calibrate is it a hardware issue or a software issue? If howard was not going to call tech support then you think he would try google to see if others are having trouble with that model and if there is a easy fix, firmware upgrade or something useful he is likely to be able to do without returning it.

I can let that go and enjoy the episode.

Sometimes it just comes down to "what are you looking for". Clearly we are not all looking for the same thing. A lot of people on here really liked 819 but for me it crossed a line when Sheldon behaved like a George Lucas groupie and called that an adventure. I felt like I had watched dumb and dumber rather than two geniuses on their way to make a presentation.

• Like 2

Finally got to watch the whole episode.  Comcast crapped out on me 3 times during that half hour yesterday, so I had to wait until I had time to watch the entire episode DVR'ed without interruption.

Loved the Leonard and Penny stuff.  Loved they guys geeking out over the helicopter, nice to see Sheldon and Howard interacting without being at each others throats.  Loved Raj working his parents.  3 solid stories...no drama.

The rouge helicopter at the end made me laugh hard.

Felt a little like old-school Big Bang to me.

Would have liked more Amy, but I understand.

• Like 2

^^^^^

Me too! The same thing happened to me -- cable cut out just after Leonard's speech. The helicopter losing its mechanical senses, dive bombing everyone was hysterical! Loved everyone screaming and diving for cover!

A wonderful episode from start to finish and it was everything I've been missing from TBBT this season!

• Like 3

Some of my favorite episodes are the ones where the guys are doing geeky things and this was no exception. Leonard's speech made me cry. I was that heaviest, invisible kid in school. In some ways, I'm still that invisible kid and I'm going to be 30 in a few months. I'm thrilled that the show addresses that it's okay to be a little bit weird and March to the beat of your own drum. Fantastic episode.

• Like 3

So three casual viewers (all watch weekly but not fandom level) all didnt love this episode. I defended it saying it was classic BBT but they actually said they like more of the relationship stuff...

Just thought I would share as we always talk about the casual viewers thoughts.

Now two work in the industry and one is a commuter friend. One was surprised that it was a sweep episode...another asked why there was no Amy which I explained....

So guess the norms don't necessarily miss the early style of the BBT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kerrycec03
  • Like 1

This episode was great! It's been a while since I laughed that much with an episode... Maybe because I didn't pay much attention to this taping report. I seriously need to stop being spoiled... It's killing most of the fun from when I watch it. And I almost forgot that there was an episode this week!

Raj was so funny being childish and manipulating his parents. And the look in everybody's faces when his phone rings! LOL

Leonard this season is being amazingly funny. He was hilarious in this one making fun of the short dress! This moment and the one with the pie "please go to Mars" were his best ones for me in this season.

The helicopter flying all over the place shocked me! It was destroying the whole apartment! The tag scene was priceless, how much it scared Penny and Leonard.

Amazing episode!

Edited by karyshamy
  • Like 3

I was watching episode last night.

It was a Great Episode! I really like it. Lot of of funny moment. The funniest part was probably Raj playing his parent against eachother. And then the helicopter at the end

This is a Top Ten for Season 8.

It felt like a Season 2 or Season 3 Episode a little bit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by MTBigBangTheoryFan
  • Like 2

I loved the episode too! 

I liked how Sheldon and Howard were cooperating to make the helicopter work and I loved how Sheldon seemed impressed by Howard, for once! It was refreshing.

Raj was absolutely hilarius. Helicopters for everybodyyyyy! So funny!

I also liked the Lenny interactions with the robe etc. I loved how Penny seemed proud of Leonard. 

I missed Amy, too but since we know what was happening with Mayim we can't really complain.

Overall a very good episode for me! 

• Like 2

Hmmm. I rated both very good and actually the one before that too. I have to go all the way back to S819 The Skywalker Incursion for one I did not like so much (gave it an ok).

I'm sure I could start finding some faults with this episode if I was so inclined. Like who would call tech support after taking the drone apart, putting it back together and smoking it. What the heck is tech support going to do on the phone after smoke comes out? If Howard had not opened it up they could have offered to replace it. That is about it. Since the show is a sitcom I was not going to let that detail bother me. The puff of smoke was funny. These writers clearly are not electronics hardware guys and while they have a science consultant I don't think they have a tech consultant. Howard was probably acting more like Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor than like a aerospace engineer. If the done can't self calibrate is it a hardware issue or a software issue? If howard was not going to call tech support then you think he would try google to see if others are having trouble with that model and if there is a easy fix, firmware upgrade or something useful he is likely to be able to do without returning it.

I can let that go and enjoy the episode.

Sometimes it just comes down to "what are you looking for". Clearly we are not all looking for the same thing. A lot of people on here really liked 819 but for me it crossed a line when Sheldon behaved like a George Lucas groupie and called that an adventure. I felt like I had watched dumb and dumber rather than two geniuses on their way to make a presentation.

Well, to be fair, Howard obviously thought he didn't need to call tech support or google about the problem but assumed he was smart enough to take it apart and find the problem.  Some guys are just that way (and girls, too, I guess) like my schoolmate who thought he knew all about bassoons and could take apart the jigsaw that is the key system, but then found he didn't know how to put it back together (some keys have to go on before others, etc.)

He could easily have consulted some kind of manual (this was in the days before the internet) but he didn't bother because he thought he didn't need to.

I loved Sheldon's line about Howard having wiped his bottom with the warranty. :p

To me it looks like you're just trying to ruin it for Phanta for no particular reason. I can't see where it was that awful.

not really trying to ruin for phanta. As myself and another poster commented we didn't see the complaints. I didn't bring up Shamy but since she felt the need to point it out. I obviously liked this episode more being a Lenny fan. There was no Shamy in either episode but Sheldon had a diminished role in this episode. That's probably why some may not have liked the episode.

It interesting in the previous episode they were talking about who the Alpha and who the Beta. And then in this episode Sheldon and Howard are seen taking charge

not really trying to ruin for phanta. As myself and another poster commented we didn't see the complaints. I didn't bring up Shamy but since she felt the need to point it out. I obviously liked this episode more being a Lenny fan. There was no Shamy in either episode but Sheldon had a diminished role in this episode. That's probably why some may not have liked the episode.

Not to poke anyone with a pointy stick, but I enjoyed not having Dr C front and center. I could be wrong, but to me theLeonard/Penny story was the"A" plot. To have that be the case without Sheldon's presence was refreshing and made it even more enjoyable to me.

Sheldon was hilarious in the"B" plot with Howard and Raj. The show was stupendous. These pairings added to that quality for me.

• Like 5

Finally seen the episode and its much much funnier than the previous weeks one, I like to watch comedy in a comedy show

Edited by rachelshamyfan
  • Like 4

Finally seen the episode and its much much funnier than the previous weeks one, I like to watch comedy in a comedy show

There was comedy last week.  I don't know what it was you didn't find funny last week, but I found both of them funny.

There was comedy last week.  I don't know what it was you didn't find funny last week, but I found both of them funny.

it's really hard for you to admit when Sheldon is not the main character that the episode can be funnier.

it's really hard for you to admit when Sheldon is not the main character that the episode can be funnier.

It has nothing to do with Sheldon.  Why do you assume that that's the reason?  I gave both episodes an "Excellent" rating because I truly enjoyed both of them.  I loved the Lenny story this week and I loved the plot with all four guys last week.

I just don't understand why people think there was no humor last week.