The Simpsons To End?

Stewie99

Due to a dispute over pay of voice actors, The Simpsons has gone on a production hiatus. Negotiations with the voice actors have stalled and, despite being commissioned for a 27th season, no new episodes are currently being produced.

With the cast demanding huge pay increases and ratings for The Simpsons suffering a major slump, there is a very real possibility that the most successful show ever could be at an end.

By the end of the current 26th season, The Simpsons will have produced 574 episodes. Some argue that it has been declining in quality for the last decade, perhaps even longer. Others say that it is as good as it always has been and should continue for years to come.

The question is this: Should The Simpsons continue or is this actors' strike actually a signal that it's time to end? And is The Simpsons as good as it used to be?

Edited by Stewie99

They should have ended at a nice even 25 seasons - now if the voice actors start doing things like holding out for more money, it's probably time to call it a day.

Edited by luke

I have to admit, an animated show running for 25+ years while live-action shows limit themselves to 10 or 12 seasons equals supremacy. And that's regardless of the quality of the later episodes compared to the earlier episodes. It's too bad animated shows never get to go out on a high note. Also, the voice cast of The Simpsons is aging (all of them are 50+ years old). I wouldn't care if The Simpsons's original run ended in the next few years, either.

That's relieving news; many fans seriously thought that FOX was going to call it a day because the negotiations had stalled.

It looks like we have at least another two years of The Simpsons to enjoy anyway!

Edited by Stewie99

Truth is, I would really hate for The Simpsons to overtake/outlast The Big Bang Theory. By that, I mean it still producing/airing new episodes after TBBT ends. I'll be very sad to see that happen. The Simpsons has already outlasted Friends and hundreds of other great live-action shows, yet most of what I watch on TV today is live-action, and I do not watch as much cartoons as much as I used to during the early-mid 2000s decade.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't quite the happy resolution we thought it was; Harry Shearer (voice of Ned Flanders, Mr Burns, Waylon Smithers, Kent Brockman, Reverend Lovejoy and many others) has announced he is leaving the show. He said this was because he was not happy with the deal offered to him by the producers of The Simpsons, as it allegedly had clauses which restricted the work he could do outside the show.

Simpsons showrunner Al Jean has said that Shearer's voice roles will be recast, but The Simpsons just won't be the same without him. Shearer has been there since the beginning- he has voiced his characters for 26 years. This just seems to be yet another sign that it's time for The Simpsons to call it a day, but the producers are pushing on with the 27th and 28th seasons, Shearer or no Shearer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been keeping track of "The Simpsons" and I have charted a slow but steady decline in episode quality.  I agree with the people who say it should have ended years ago.  My gut feeling for Season 27 is that the writers will do something stupid to one or more of the characters and alienate many of the people who still watch the show.  I have read that Homer and Marge will separate in the Season 27 premiere; I am entertaining the possibility of that being the beginning of the end for "The Simpsons" even if the two get back together later.