Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hometuff

Did Kaley Cuoco Deserve To Get The Role?

40 posts in this topic

Posted

Kaley's hiring was totally about her looks.  She just acts like herself. If you want to see what acting should look like, then look to the Bernadette and Amy characters. Penny doesn't make you care about her characters life whatsoever. Not all her fault, she is the straight-man in the group. In general you know if an actor "has it" Kaley does not have it at all and probably never will, if after 8 years at this role she hasn't improved 1 iota

bqueen likes this

Posted

I'll be honest. I'm fine with Kaley Cuoco but there is nothing about her that has impressed me. She's usually type cast. She doesn't seem to have a lot of range. She seems like someone who was meant to be a soap actress who ended up on a sitcom. She doesn't take anything away from the show but I don't find her remarkable. Again, I think it's fine that there is nothing special about her. Hollywood needs pretty blondes. She does her job. I can't really tolerate watching her in interviews for too long but I don't mind her on the show. I had actually begun watching the show for Mayim Bialik.

Arduina and Stewie99 like this

Posted

Kaley fits the "girl next door" mold, who Penny actually is. I don't mind her acting since it fits her role. I like Penny and Kaley separately.

JE7, Oldnavy, kerrycec03 and 2 others like this

Posted

While I do recognize the "drive-by" posting nature of this person, we all know we're not allowed to call them trolls, so I will play along...

I've accidentally seen her on 8 Simple Rules (I actually used to watch that show a little bit on purpose when it first came out, but I didn't remember Kaley or her character much), and I've accidentally seen her on Charmed (when it comes on at 3am), and I saw her on purpose in The Wedding Ringer.

I think that it's true that Hollywood tends to put actors into "slots"--leading, character, heavies, etc.--based on their looks and based on their past work.  I remember that people were surprised when Harrison Ford starred in The Witness because everyone thought he was just an action hero-type after Star Wars and Raiders.

Even though his character is a cop and there's a lot of action in the movie, it really was a different turn for him at the time.

I think that since Kaley's been working since she was a child, and with her typical blonde kind of look, it's not surprising that she would be led by her agent to audition for certain kinds of roles and that casting directors would choose her for certain kinds of roles.  That's why actors submit headshots and resumes.

If a casting director is looking for a certain "type", then they're not likely to even entertain people who don't "look" like that type.

Penny's tale of how she wasn't even allowed to read for a certain part because she "looked too Midwest" is pretty common.  And a guy with an "ugly mug" is probably going to get "heavy" roles, where he's a mafia hit man or something because the casting directors are looking for a certain bad guy type.

I think that people underestimate Kaley's true abilities.  On TBBT she's never really called upon to do any "heavy lifting" that people usually associate with "great acting".  This isn't drama, its' comedy, and people have a tendency to misunderstand what the skill-set is for people performing in comedy.

In comedy it's almost all about timing.  One can say the exact same line two different ways and it will be funny one way and not so funny the other way.

Jim Parsons has often praised Kaley's timing and her acting.  And I don't think that's just lip service.  These people have to work together and play off of one another all season long.  If one of them was the weak sister in the ensemble, I think something would have been done about it early on.

As a matter of fact, Kaley auditioned more than once.  I think she may have auditioned for the original female lead, for the unaired pilot, though I'm not entirely sure.  But then when they reworked the pilot, I think she still auditioned and didn't get the part, then auditioned again and did get it, something like that.

I don't think they were casting just for looks, though they obviously wanted a "type", because early on she was required to do some good stuff.  Again, I think that if there had been any weaknesses in the show, it wouldn't have made it past that first strike-shortened season.  At that time she was the only girl and as part of the main 3, she carried a lot of weight on her own.

I also don't think that you can pit any of the actresses against the others.  When it comes to how the audience feels about a character, I would say that's more about the writing and just who one naturally gravitates toward.  I think Melissa is a fine actress, but I'm not all that invested in Bernie as a character.  I like her just fine, but I'm not trying to disect the character and figure her out.

So, in the end, I think the assertions of the OP are bogus.

JohnPhD, bfm, DaisyJane and 2 others like this

Posted

I have a question: Why do all these newbies come on and post one thing to bash Kaley or Jimmy or what? What is this?

Their posts have to be approved by Tripper or Tensor, so I guess they're giving them the benefit of the doubt as to whether or not they're going to end up being trolls who simply come by to stir the pot or whatever.

Posted

As Tripper has pointed out, trollish behavior requires more than one post to identify. Although we may have our suspicions of posters, until they establish trollish behavior, there is no reason to prevent them from posting, even if others don't like their opinions.

JE7 likes this

Posted

As Tripper has pointed out, trollish behavior requires more than one post to identify. Although we may have our suspicions of posters, until they establish trollish behavior, there is no reason to prevent them from posting, even if others don't like their opinions.

I know where you're coming from, but in my experience, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, the safe assumption is that it's not an elephant. :)

Posted

I know where you're coming from, but in my experience, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, the safe assumption is that it's not an elephant. :)

Yeah, that's why I said we have our suspicions. But we do have several members whose initial posts could have been described as troll-ish or spam-ish, that are doing just fine. That's why we give them the benefit of doubt, for the first few.

Posted

I had actually begun watching the show for Mayim Bialik.

I know what you mean.

The very first scene I ever saw, and which led me to buy the season 1 to 6 box set, was this one.

Mayim Bialik is an incredible actress, and Amy is a fantastic character. I love them both.

But it could be a racing pigeon.  :icon_biggrin:

Posted

You know if you follow the history of the show, the original pilot was gritty and severe, but Kaley auditioned anyway and was not cast because she wasn't what they wanted. But they changed the tone of the show and wrote the girl across the more wholesome and naive, it was almost like they changed the character to be Kaley, which turned out to be the thing the show needed to be a hit. So I think the real question would be would TBBT been such a hit without Kaley.

JE7, Oldnavy, legacy99 and 1 other like this

Posted

Not to mention that besides being wholesome and very pretty, Kaley is also a terrific comedic actress. Her timing is impeccable and her facial expressions are to die for, and from what I've seen she also excels at the more dramatic scenes.

mjc45, phantagrae, JohnPhD and 2 others like this

Posted

So ,here is another betterlikethis post,Chuck Lorre was the one who picked .I remember reading somewhere that they meet when she was 14 years old on a another show and told her that they would work together agin.So not something that happened out of the blue.

also if was about looks then they could have kept the oringal actress and change the character.It not like the Walsh was ugly or anything.Amanda did have a sweet personality in her VJ days at Much.

Posted

I don't think that a range of facial expressions is the measure of a good or bad actor. I think that how an actor reacts to a line or an action can be anything from a facial expression to a manner of whole body movement, depending on the circumstance.

I think that all the actors on this show have great timing and that includes reactions. I think the reason the show has remained a hit through it's eighth season is that between the writing and the acting, viewers have found characters they can care about and enjoy seeing what happens to them.

You can have the best oscar-winning actors in a film or whatever, but if you don't care about the characters and what happens, them it becomes nothing more than noise.

I think it's a combination of writing and acting, and I think they've got a winning combination.

meka3000 likes this

Posted

I wasn't comparing or dissing anyone.

I was just making an observation.

how about those Blackhawks? Are they going to win the Stanley Cup? Oh wrong thread.
Carlos and mjc45 like this

Posted

I'm English.

I have no idea who/what the Blackhawks are, nor the Stanley Cup.

Posted

I'm English.

I have no idea who/what the Blackhawks are, nor the Stanley Cup.

Stephen, the Blackhawks are a National (Ice) Hockey League team, and the Stanley Cup is given to the team that wins the playoffs, it's symbolic of winning the championship. Think of someone making a comment about the Premier League, and the puzzlement most Americans would feel. :)

Posted

SRAM makes a great point. Would the show be a hit without Kaley? I think Penny completed the trio and made the show not only funny but relatable.

JE7 likes this

Posted

Think of someone making a comment about the Premier League, and the puzzlement most Americans would feel. :)

I've heard of the Premier League, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.

I'm not a football fan.

Posted (edited)

If you intend to hang around for more than blurting out provocative statements, you'll discover I always keep my cool. I'll call out BS But always respect the right to say it. You think she's terrible, a sizeable majority think the opposite. Just like many think the show itself is terrible while 30 million + worldwide would disagree. It's quite easy to keep cool about people having different views. For me anyway. Care to share what is so terrible about an actress who has been the lead in one of the more popular shows of our time? ( and yeah I know popular doesn't equate to quality - "pop" music is exhibit A for rebuttal???? Care to suggest who replaces her years ago? Or was provocation the only purpose?

I like the show in general, if you would notice, I've actually recently posted my 4th quiz about BBT, although noone has replied to it. But, let's talk honestly about the 'quality' of the show, it's a sitcom, and it has the quality of a sitcom, nothing more. 'Friends' was also incredibly popular but still shit, it's all about catering to the lowest common denominator. If you spoon feed low quality humor to people like sitcoms do, you're always going to get a large audience because everyone is able to follow whats going on.

If you would notice, what BBT does and what all sitcoms do, is deliver a joke, and then 'explain' to the audience why that joke was funny to make sure everyone gets it.

Edited by capm

Posted

So I ask you on a thread about Penny about your opinion of Kaley in reaction to your comments about her acting and you offer a critique of the show? It appears you have that well worn criticism of the show down pat that it appeals to the lowest common denominator and uses low quality humour. That criticism I read all over the Internet and in the mainstream media is rarely followed by examples of this. What do you define as high quality humour? examples? Genuinely interested because I enjoy a wide variety of comedy styles so would like to know what you are comparing the low quality BBT humour to? But, considering this is a Penny thread, we may be getting off topic and being sent away to another thread by Tensor???? still awaiting your answers to my Kaley questions.

JE7 likes this