Did Kaley Cuoco Deserve To Get The Role?

hometuff

Well, I accept what BBT is, and I have learned to enjoy it for what it is. Sitcom comedy is, and has always been, a simple form of comedy, designed to pull in as large a crowd as possible. I'm sorry if this comes as a surprise to you. If it was more intelligent and insightful, they would probably lose 80% of their viewers, no offense :shy: The sad reality is that most people are fucking stupid.

Edited by capm

OK, so you're not going to answer my questions. That's fine. Conversation over. See you around in other threads maybe. Or not.

You wanted me to give examples of shows that I consider to be higher quality humor, which I didn't do because BBT is a sitcom and comparing it to shows that are not even in the same genre is kind of pointless. And as I mentioned in another post, I do consider Jim Parsons to be kind of a comedic genius, I enjoy most Sheldon scenes immensely, I just don't think it's enough to carry the whole show.

If you insist, here's a handful of shows that I consider to be high level comedy, although none of them share genre with BBT.

Parks and Recreation
Orange is The New Black
The office
Shameless
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Scrubs

Edited by capm

OK, so you're not going to answer my questions. That's fine. Conversation over. See you around in other threads maybe. Or not.

You wanted me to give examples of shows that I consider to be higher quality humor, which I didn't do because BBT is a sitcom and comparing it to shows that are not even in the same genre is kind of pointless.

Actually,  the question that Itwasdestined was referring to was:

Care to share what is so terrible about an actress who has been the lead in one of the more popular shows of our time? ( and yeah I know popular doesn't equate to quality - "pop" music is exhibit A for rebuttal???? Care to suggest who replaces her years ago? Or was provocation the only purpose?

This question is now in a post that is in the topic of Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting (a effect of splitting the posts) , but was several posts of his prior to the quote in this post. 

You wanted me to give examples of shows that I consider to be higher quality humor, which I didn't do because BBT is a sitcom and comparing it to shows that are not even in the same genre is kind of pointless. And as I mentioned in another post, I do consider Jim Parsons to be kind of a comedic genius, I enjoy most Sheldon scenes immensely, I just don't think it's enough to carry the whole show.

If you insist, here's a handful of shows that I consider to be high level comedy, although none of them share genre with BBT.

Parks and Recreation
Orange is The New Black
The office
Shameless
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Scrubs

Thanks, capm. Now I see your style of comedy you prefer over sitcom. That's fine. I like some of those too. Still don't know why you can't answer the questions about Kaley though. That was the original point of the discussion, not the show. You criticized her acting and wanted her replaced years ago. I asked why she was so terrible and who to replace her with. That you seem to be avoiding. Is it more that you don't like the style of character Penny is compared to the female leads in the other comedy genre you listed? You seem to downgrade sitcoms so I don't know, were Jennifer, Courtney and Lisa also terrible because the popular but shit ( your words) Friends had these actresses in lowest common denominator roles? Or do you think Kaley isn't playing the style of character Penny is effectively and someone could do it better? Who did you have in mind to replace her years ago as the early to mid 20s wannabe actress/waitress who shakes up the world of a group of scientists with her different world views and interests? I can't think of anyone in comedies today ( sitcom or the higher quality genres you prefer) that would be able to play the role of Penny like Kaley has. I'm not calling her a great actress capable of winning an Oscar ( would love to see her in Burning Bodhi to see what she can bring to a different dramatic role) I don't see Lisa Kudrow as that either but I couldn't see anyone doing Phoebe better than her either. Now if you just don't like Kaley Cuoco, that fine and your prerogative. What I don't get is why people need to tell the online world they think someone's terrible without explaining why. I don't appreciate the work of lots of actors in lots of movies but don't feel the need to tell the world about it. I prefer to participate in discussions about things and people I actually like, but still critique them with reasons why a performance or scene wasn't as good as the norm I expect. You like Jim Parsons? Go to the Jim Parsons thread and share in the love his fans have for him there. But then you did say in your original response to me that you like making provocative statements. If that was your only purpose for taking a shot at Kaley then I've probably wasted a lot of keyboard clicks asking you to justify your opinions. But that's me. Enjoy your style of forum participation and I'll enjoy mine. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Funny because IMO Kaley is more vital to the show then Jim. The whole premise of the show is reliant on her character, and her performance. Watch the unaired pilot and then the official one, Kaley saved the show, she brought an energy to the show not seen. But to go oh Kaley did not deserve the role, to the show is for idiots and I love JP! Fine but stick to the OP. Just because BBT is relying on a very formulaic format to attract the masses, does not make the show for idiots. It is actually in essence a very clever, and intelligent show. Some of the scientific dialogue to get through. Ask Kaley the week she had to learn that scientific dialogue, and tell her this is how for idiots and is simple. Kaley IMO has the best timing in a comedic actress on tv, so to say she cannot act is obsurd to say the least. And carry the show? Done well up to this point, reguarly #1 show. 

Edited by 3ku11

Kaley's hiring was totally about her looks.  She just acts like herself. If you want to see what acting should look like, then look to the Bernadette and Amy characters. Penny doesn't make you care about her characters life whatsoever. Not all her fault, she is the straight-man in the group. In general you know if an actor "has it" Kaley does not have it at all and probably never will, if after 8 years at this role she hasn't improved 1 iota

Maybe back when she first got hired.  But in the last 8 years she become a very good actor.  Plus, she also a pretty grounded person in real life.  Actually, her character on the show is not much different than her real life self!!

For what it's worth when I rewatch early episodes I can not imagine anyone else as Penny. I like Kaley as a comedienne and think she does very well. Any complaints I might have about Penny's character are really due to the writers and not Kaley herself. 

Kaley is actually well known for her brilliant comedic timing, and the energy she brings to Penny. So sorry disagree "she does not have it", she is the complete package. It is sad when you have to create threads to tear people who are succesfull a new one, because of your own lack of self worth. Sorry that's the impression I get from the OP. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

And seeing new sitcoms usually cast unknowns. What makes Kaley undeserving of the role? I Think she is more important then Jim Parsons. As take away KAley, that energy from the pilot is lost. Without KAley the premise is cold. I don't get people who posts things, then never return to the scene of the crime haha. 

• 9 months later...