The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Episode 3.14 (Feb 1)

Best scene was when Penny woke up to Sheldon standing over her and she screamed.

The "ball pit" bit was a tad overplayed. One or two 'bazingas' would've been enough, but not to keep going. Sheldon already had a strong dislike of 'bouncy castles' etc from childhood, I found it amazing to think his character would like a ball pit. Although, he was sleep deprived. The sheet rock joke is just like Penny asking him about Radiohead. There's things he doesn't know, because, as he's said before, it's not important.

Generally, I liked the show. It's moved away from it's core setup, though.

Maybe the ball pit was therapy for Sheldon. Gettting over issues from the past or childhood. I'm sure fans saw this scene in different ways. Maybe someone should have told the editor to take some of the bazingas out at the end because some thought it was overplayed. It was little Three Stoogie.

I've just watched 09/ The Vengeance Formula, and I had a permanent smile on my face; then there are bursts of laughter. The least emotion I had was a broad smile. That's what TBBT does to you.

During some of the most recent shows I rarely burst into laughter; it's impossible not to smile.

:icon_mrgreen:

I've been marathoning Season 1 and 2 after some great soul put them up on Youtube, and my goodness, I'd almost forgotten how different the show's become. The earlier seasons were literally laugh-a-second-hilarious. Nowdays it's barely laugh twice during and episode and just smile or sit for the rest of it.

I do think the 3rd series has become somewhat tired compared to the first two. I think it can be partly explained by the fact that when aired first is explored a realm not entered before by sitcoms, for example, taking an everyday cliche and rephrasing it in a physicists "language", and also plenty of references to current technology or current technology-related fads like social networking as well as nerdy staples like comic books/superheroes/computer gaming. It could be argued that there is not much left in these areas to explore but, then again, when it IS done lately it seems to be more for the sake of including the reference rather than working to make it funny. Sheldon mentioning installing linux operating systems on his laptop, for example.

If the writers are thinking more towards "what can we do with Sheldon" , then I think they have had more success with him trying to deal with everyday situations outside his intellectual milieu or mindset (the DMV/learning to drive, shopping with Penny, revenge against Kripke) than they have had with the "loony" Sheldon.

We were also treated to another Raj/Howard psuedo romantic relationship moment lately. Personally, I never found any of these scenes funny, it has all been done before elsewhere. But for those who have found it funny... has it not been WAY overdone at this stage?

I thought it was hilarious. I almost peed laughing at the ball pit scene(s).

I think Sheldon seemed extreme because he was sleep deprived and going a little bit nuts at the expense of his physics experiment.

I think you're missing the point of this. It's not that we don't understand why he's acting wacko, it's that we are uncomfortable with the fact that the writers seem to think that they need to put Sheldon in that kind of state over and over for the show to be successful. That's not the kind of mindless, slapstick humour that made this show so great. It is, as I noted above, pretty much like making a fart joke to get a cheap laugh.

The show was built on witty banter and geek in-jokes told with enough cleverness to allow non-geeks to catch on and enjoy (and frankly, a lot of supposed non-geeks got the jokes more than they'd like to admit). It was built on an ensemble cast playing off each other and each contributing their own variety of humour, blended together with balance.

When the whole plot consists of Sheldon overacting in some obviously contrived situation designed by the writers to let Jim Parsons show off his comedic chops, and everyone else is relegated to reacting to Sheldon and then throwing out one or two lines to remind us that they're not just there to mirror The Great Doctor Wackadoodle, the show not only suffers ... in a way it ceases to be The Big Bang Theory and becomes The Crazy Jim Parsons Show.

In season two, there were a few clunkers, it's true. But by and large, the episodes were terrific.

In season three, there are a few terrific episodes, it's true. But by and large, they're mediocre and sometimes downright inane.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan, and even a poor episode like Einstein Approximation has some wonderful moments. I enjoyed watching it and wouldn't have missed it for the world. The only bit I found humorous enough to laugh out loud about, though, was Leonard and Howard talking about "rebooting" Sheldon. Yes, they were just mirroring The Crazy Guy, but they were doing it in lovely geek terms and with excellent comedy timing and delivery. The ball pit? Silly and WAY overplayed. The skating scene at the end? Totally out of character and just plain embarrassing.

Steve

Wow Steve. You totally got it. Spot on. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Well, The Large Hadron Collision premieres in about one hour. Lets see what happens today. Fingers Crossed.

Hopefully we'll see a discussion soon on the forum after the episode ends.

Yep, totally agree with Steve. Couldn't have put it in better words!

On thing I'd like to add - the show is currently gaining a lot of viewers and the ratings are just getting better and better. The only explanation I have for this is that the original viewers are left behind and the show is gaining a new group of viewers - one that likes the less geeky humour. I wonder if the writers are aware of that?

Yep, totally agree with Steve. Couldn't have put it in better words!

On thing I'd like to add - the show is currently gaining a lot of viewers and the ratings are just getting better and better. The only explanation I have for this is that the original viewers are left behind and the show is gaining a new group of viewers - one that likes the less geeky humour. I wonder if the writers are aware of that?

Hmmmm. Well I guess there could be many possible explanations for it.

1) Maybe it's what you said, about a new group of viewers watching it, b/c I keep hearing people say they started watching it only this season.

2) Then I guess it could simply be word of mouth. People like us who're fans of the show probably spread the word and tell people to give it a try.

3) CBS have pumped up the promotion.

4) Over the last summer and later people have been marathoning or catching the re-reruns either on TV, DVD, or online and/or have been introduced to it very recently over the last few months and have started watching it when it actually airs. This is the case with a lot of people. Including me. Ironically I was introduced to it by my cousins in England during summer vacations, they taped the episodes available there and later on I started watching the series online and on TV.

5) A lot of articles are written about it in magazines and also some of the recognition at award shows a. k.a Jim's Emmy nomination, the show winning at the People's Choice Awards.

6) Most funny shows on TV are getting stale and/or ending and people want to see something new.

7) It now airs before CSI Miami and after Two and A Half Men.

8) and last but not least, a majority of the show's OLD followers, since season 1 and 2, STILL watch it.

That's all I could come up with. I think any of the above or possibly all of the above could be the contributing factors to the shows increasing ratings.

Good points you've listed! I just didn't think that far :)

So let's hope the show will manage to stay the way that made it successful and us "old fans" won't be left behind and everyone can enjoy the show...

Three minutes in and I was getting optimistic ( Bernadette was mentioned ), then "The Sheldon Story" broke; I didn't smile after that. No group banter, NOTHING FUNNY.

I thought Sheldon was someone without normal human emotion, yet he was as

petulant as a five year old denied access to his favourite toy.

Also, I'd like to more inclusive and positive stories for Raj.

For me, the worst show so far. Sorry to say.

At this moment I'm half way through a Seinfeld, Series 06, show. Having ignored it originally, I rediscovered it last year.

Seinfeld is/was an ensemble show and, I haven't yet seen an exception, each show involves all of The Players exchanging convincingly funny lines.

It's consistently exceptionally funny. The BBT writers should learn from comedy History, and try harder because the BBT is in itself exceptional..

TBBT should learn from Friends. Personally I felt that show was the epitome of ensemble comedy from Season 1-10. It never lost it's grip.

It seems like the guys don't care about Sheldon at all and actually treat him like the rebot that they think he is, while penny and now Bernadette actually care for him and the human being inside, I hope the writers actually look at this.

One of my favourite episodes. I bet Johnny and Jim had a blast in the ball pool, adults being able to play like kids. :) They must have been busting up laughing during rehearsals lol :D

The jumping about in the Ball Pit is I have to say, one those Sheldon moments that is lost on me. I love the rest of this episode, just not bit.

I have heard of this episode, but not seen it in full until last night. I could not believe how good Jim Parsons was! This is so crazy - I don't think I have ever watched a show that was this funny! Never! Not just the ball pit scene, throughout the whole thing. I think this is my favorite episode. Loved, loved it! :)

Just noticed a massive inconsistency, beginning with this episode.

In the scene where Sheldon wakes Leonard and Penny, Penny states Leonard doesn't snore.

However, in The Septum Deviation (8.09), Sheldon confirms that Leonard has snored, ever since he's known him.

BTW. Has anyone else noticed, that the number of this episode, is Albert Einstein's birth date?

Edited by Stephen Hawking