The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Lenny: Season 9

4 hours ago, Carlos said:

Mekka, my friend, wrong as always my friend. You've made a habit out of it by now.

You've said this to me before, and yet you never have anything to back it up.

I can't read your signature because I have all signatures disabled.

Enable them then. But I'll just put my signature quote here: "The best defense against bullshit is vigilance; so if you smell something, say something."

--Jon Stewart (from his final Daily Show broadcast)

Speaking of B.S. I smell.....

Opinions aren't bullshit, they are just opinions. Subjective appreciations of a certain set of facts and circumstances

Being an opinion does NOT disqualify it from being bullshit.

For example, if someone from the deep south says, "I think people of color should be treated as second class citizens because their skin color is different than mine."  I'm going to call their opinion bullshit because it is born out of an ignorance that they believe skin color should define how a person is treated.  In layman's terms, I see that view as nonsense (ala bullshit)

The definitions also define bullshit as this:

dictionary.reference: "noun

1.  nonsense, lies, or exaggeration."

the free dictionary: "bull·shit

(bo͝ol′shĭt′) Vulgar Slang

n.
1. Foolish, deceitful, or boastful language.
2. Something worthless, deceptive, or insincere.
3. Insolent talk or behavior."

oxforddictionaries.com: "Bullshit

vulgar slang

Definition of bullshit in English:

noun

Stupid or untrue talk or writing; nonsense."

Wikipedia: "It is mostly a slang profanity term meaning "nonsense", especially in a rebuking response to communication or actions viewed as deceiving, misleading, disingenuous, unfair or false."

Nothing in these disqualifies an opinion from being bullshit.

If I see people making baseless claims like "TPTB don't like Lenny anymore because of what they got for a wedding (while ignoring other factors like what they've said about them in interviews, why story telling choices were made, etc.)", then I'm going to claim that they are talking nonsense (ala bullshit).  Especially if I feel how they came to that conclusion was through their emotions overwhelming their judgement.

If I however say that for me this season has had too much Shamy, then that's just an opinion and can therefore never be called bullshit"

Sure it can, whether it is or not is an entirely different matter.

In essence you don't own the truth and have no right to call anybody's opinion bullshit.

I have the right to call it if I see it as such, just like you do.

I know it eludes you but opinions are just a matter of personal perspective.

Again that doesn't disqualify an opinion, (or how someone came to that opinion) from being bullshit.  

Someone can say "I believe we will have flying cars in the 31st century BECAUSE they were featured in the cartoon The Jetsons (a cartoon based on life in that show's own perceived, "space age")" and nothing else.  I can conclude their opinion and how they came to it is bullshit because they based it SOLELY on the content of a cartoon, and nothing else.

Edited by meka3000

So off to work an hour late. The evils of alcohol but no great story ever starts with a salad.

9576742879a945acd94aa8c8756a8bc3.jpg

😄. My head hurts.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Just read this:

"If Season 10 is the final run, both Lorre and Molaro tell THR there are several plot points on their checklist of things they want to resolve before the show ends, including a formal wedding for Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and Penny (Kaley Cuoco), a scientific breakthrough for Leonard and Sheldon (Jim Parsons), and the introduction of extended family members, including Sheldon's Meemaw, Penny's mom and Leonard's dad."

Looking forward to the formal wedding :superman:

Source link: http://www.tv.com/shows/the-big-bang-theory/community/post/big-bang-theory-end-date-season-10-145080260434/

Edited by son-goku5
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, meka3000 said:

Enable them then. But I'll just put my signature quote here: "The best defense against bullshit is vigilance; so if you smell something, say something."

For example, if someone from the deep south says, "I think people of color should be treated as second class citizens because their skin color is different than mine."  I'm going to call their opinion bullshit because it is born out of an ignorance that they believe skin color should define how a person is treated.  In layman's terms, I see that view as nonsense (ala bullshit)

n.

vulgar slang

noun

Wikipedia: "It is mostly a slang profanity term meaning "nonsense", especially in a rebuking response to communication or actions viewed as deceiving, misleading, disingenuous, unfair or false."

If I see people making baseless claims like "TPTB don't like Lenny anymore because of what they got for a wedding (while ignoring other factors like what they've said about them in interviews, why story telling choices were made, etc.)", then I'm going to claim that they are talking nonsense (ala bullshit).  Especially if I feel how they came to that conclusion was through their emotions overwhelming their judgement.

Again that doesn't disqualify an opinion, (or how someone came to that opinion) from being bullshit.  

Someone can say "I believe we will have flying cars in the 31st century BECAUSE they were featured in the cartoon The Jetsons (a cartoon based on life in that show's own perceived, "space age")" and nothing else.  I can conclude their opinion and how they came to it is bullshit because they based it SOLELY on the content of a cartoon, and nothing else.

I wasn't about to enable signatures just to see yours, so thank you for posting it. All the examples you provided while being mostly true are completely irrelevant in the context of the discussion we were having previously, which was TBBT related and mostly related to the subjective appreciation of an episode or scene. Let me give you a clear example so you'll know what I'm talking about and we can at least discuss the same thing: IMO the Lenny wedding was shit.  You can try to make 1 million arguments as to why I'm wrong and they will all be invalid, and you cannot call that opinion bullshit because it was how I felt about it (I didn't like it, for example)

Same thing goes when someone says, for example " I don't find TBBT as funny as it once was". Another valid opinion, and another one that you cannot argue about. Your opinion might differ , but that is just about it.

And with that being said I'm out because I don't believe it is productive to keep on engaging in a circular argument.

• Like 2

You people spend way to much time compiling your posts lol. It's been a solid season for Lenny so far, let's just leave it at that. No one is right, and no one is wrong. It's a point of view. I think we can all agree S9 Lenny is better then S8.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

Let me give you a clear example so you'll know what I'm talking about and we can at least discuss the same thing: IMO the Lenny wedding was shit.  You can try to make 1 million arguments as to why I'm wrong and they will all be invalid, and you cannot call that opinion bullshit because it was how I felt about it (I didn't like it, for example)

Again yes I can, depending on HOW you came to that conclusion I could call it b.s. as much as I please.  If I feel you had unrealistic expectations going in to this and weren't willing to be open minded about what you were getting, I can choose to call it as such.  If I feel how you came to that conclusion had some points of merit to them I could choose to view it as respectable though disagree with it.

13 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

Just read this:

"If Season 10 is the final run, both Lorre and Molaro tell THR there are several plot points on their checklist of things they want to resolve before the show ends, including a formal wedding for Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and Penny (Kaley Cuoco), a scientific breakthrough for Leonard and Sheldon (Jim Parsons), and the introduction of extended family members, including Sheldon's Meemaw, Penny's mom and Leonard's dad."

Looking forward to the formal wedding :superman:

Source link: http://www.tv.com/shows/the-big-bang-theory/community/post/big-bang-theory-end-date-season-10-145080260434/

Not to be a wet blanket still, but Molaro's comment from the THR source specifies that they have talked about it, but there are no immediate plans.  Tv.com makes it sound like its on tptb's MUST DO list, as opposed to it just being an idea that they have talked about.

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

You people spend way to much time compiling your posts lol.

I'm not sure there are alot of us here that have much room to talk about how much time we put into our posts. :icon_redface:

2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

I think we can all agree S9 Lenny is better then S8.

But not as good as seasons 1,2,3,5,6,7.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, meka3000 said:

Again yes I can, depending on HOW you came to that conclusion I could call it b.s. as much as I please.  If I feel you had unrealistic expectations going in to this and weren't willing to be open minded about what you were getting, I can choose to call it as such.  If I feel how you came to that conclusion had some points of merit to them I could choose to view it as respectable though disagree with it.

And again you're wrong, and I'll tell you why: because that would entail for you to be superior to me , and to be somehow qualified to judge my posts which you are not. Call it bullshit all you want doesn't make it so, therefore it's useless.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Carlos said:

because that would entail for you to be superior to me  

- no it wouldn't, it just means I have an opinion about your opinion.  No more, no less.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

8 hours ago, Chrismo said:

But not as good as seasons 1,2,3,5,6,7.

Eh I'd put it in the same realm as season 5, and that didn't involve much from them in the first half of that season.

On December 23, 2015 at 2:36 AM, 3ku11 said:

Let's establish this. Lenny's writing and screen time has been Quality over Quantity. That is it, fact established. The some who are not happy, are prob happy with the Quality, it is just not the same Quantity. And the some who are pro this season love the Quality so much, they cannot see the quantity. Let's look a the field here. Four Couples, Lenny have been dating since S3. How much development have they made in that time? Shamy had tons. So you look at Lenny okay they are married. Let's make them background for a while, and put them on hold. So we can progress the other couple. The problem is segmentating your audience. Basing a show centrically around one character or two, never works. Because at some point, people tune out. It would be fine if it was The Shamy Show or Sheldon Show. But the majority signed up for The Big Bang Theory. And I for one want the show back I fell in love with.

Very good point and I find myself agreeing strongly with your observation.  The quality of Lenny this season has been excellent, they are married and happy to be that way, both of them.  If anything they seem to be adjusting to each other better than most newlyweds and you can obviously see they are a team already.  It is the quantity of Lenny we are missing in the show, they have been sidelined for the majority of the season and have have been used as secondary characters to Sheldon most of this season.  I just want them to have a few plots together this new year and actually address the comedy of them being newlyweds and living mostly in 4A.

• Like 5

Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate. Have really enjoyed becoming part of this loyal band of Lenny fans. Go Team Hofstadter!!!!!:icon_biggrin:

• Like 7

I said this before the when the show added Amy and Bernadette and the writers went from writing for one couple to three four if count Raj and Emily but Emily not in every episode for the first 3 seasons it was just the original five and most of the relationship story lines was focus on Lenny despite the fact they were not a couple they were friends now the writers have 7 cast members four couples and only 19 minutes per episode to tell a story I think the writers try their best but they are not going to please everyone all the time I think it's a case of too many cast members too many couples and too little time per episode just my thoughts on the matter. Also any show that's been on a long period of time tends to suffer in quality cause it's hard to come up with new ideas for episodes that you have not done before

I also want to wish a Merry Christmas to Lenny and all of their supporters

• Like 7

Guest sladenoddy
On 12/23/2015 at 7:41 AM, meka3000 said:

n.

vulgar slang

noun

there is really no need for you to be nasty thank you.

8 hours ago, SRAM said:

Very good point and I find myself agreeing strongly with your observation.  The quality of Lenny this season has been excellent, they are married and happy to be that way, both of them.  If anything they seem to be adjusting to each other better than most newlyweds and you can obviously see they are a team already.  It is the quantity of Lenny we are missing in the show, they have been sidelined for the majority of the season and have have been used as secondary characters to Sheldon most of this season.  I just want them to have a few plots together this new year and actually address the comedy of them being newlyweds and living mostly in 4A.

for myself though I thought The Lenny wedding was awful and to have that jerk Sheldon ruin it like that was damned annoying. that is my opinion and there is no need for others to comment on it thank you.

On 12/23/2015 at 7:41 AM, meka3000 said: You've said this to me before, and yet you never have anything to back it up.

n. 1. Foolish, deceitful, or boastful language. 2. Something worthless, deceptive, or insincere. 3. Insolent talk or behavior." oxforddictionaries.com: "Bullshit

vulgar slang

noun

there is really no need for you to be nasty thank you.

8 hours ago, SRAM said: Very good point and I find myself agreeing strongly with your observation.  The quality of Lenny this season has been excellent, they are married and happy to be that way, both of them.  If anything they seem to be adjusting to each other better than most newlyweds and you can obviously see they are a team already.  It is the quantity of Lenny we are missing in the show, they have been sidelined for the majority of the season and have have been used as secondary characters to Sheldon most of this season.  I just want them to have a few plots together this new year and actually address the comedy of them being newlyweds and living mostly in 4A.

for myself though I thought The Lenny wedding was awful and to have that jerk Sheldon ruin it like that was damned annoying. that is my opinion and there is no need for others to comment on it thank you.

2189a03049c51e98aac23f6b9758b476.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Merry Christmas Lenny's!!!

10d2ae2c3ebf0fb41e9a072bdc3668b3.jpg

And just in case anyone isn't sure what present to get me......  

tumblr_nh1cddyzDe1u6oflzo3_250.gif

• Like 9

Leonard and Penny are fictional characters at the end of day. Not worth getting so worked up over. They get 25 minutes a week, in a run time sitcom settle down. Leonard and Penny have had great quality this season. At this point I don't expect them to have the same Quantity of years gone by, but that's just me.

• Like 3

Our local station had "The Decoupling Fluctuation" on tonight and thought Bernadette was rather prescient.   So far, Penny's failed three times.  Bernadette said Penny would have a chance to break up with Leonard on her wedding day and their honeymoon.   Penny definitely had a chance and failed to break up with him on their wedding day, and another chance, and failed,  the next day (I'll consider it their honeymoon), and of course, she didn't break up with him in "The Decoupling Fluctuation".    Don't think were going to see the other chance Bernadette mentioned, on their 50th anniversary.