[Spoilers] Lenny: Season 9

Tensor

Quite frankly, the "pushing her into a mother role" is her own fault, she decided that they should live with the "man-child". And she shouldn't be surprised that Leonard tries to make motherhood appealing to her, she should know that he most likely wants children.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, did anyone notice Penny's hypocrisy? She complained about Leonard's Star Wars stuff and having sex with a stuffed Wookie apparently watching them.

Yet in season 3, she had no problem with the same thing regarding her stuffed bear collection

I think like most therapy sessions she is just releasing everything out.  I don't think all his "toys" really bothered her that much BUT when everything is coming out things are said.  Personally Leonard's room is more mature than hers so.....

But I think as others have mentioned it all stems from her being a bit unhappy overall with her life.  We are left with a gleaming Leonard who is finally able to overcome his horrible childhood and even comes across optimistic & romantic by telling Sheldon/Raj to name the asteroid after their girlfriends.

So this again confirms its Penny.  I personally think she "settled" for pharm sales and was sorta bullied by Bernadette, and Leonard to a degree, to find a big girl job.  She moved out to LA with dreams of being an actress.  Well that ship has sailed and she is good at her job, but doesn't enjoy it.  So I do think this isn't the last we see of her career frustrations.

Now as far as her love for Leonard, I do believe she loves him.  And while they are so different I as a non-shipper can see she has softened a little bit towards him.  I actually felt for seasons their relationship wasn't balanced because he would do anything for her and she would insult and jab him.  But the writers did change this. 

I do think if they got out of 4A and into their own place it would help a LOT.  And I've said on other threads but I do think there is a codependency between Sheldon and Lenny.  On surface it appears its Sheldon keeping them with him, BUT when push comes to shove Penny is the one that caves (several times actually).  While its again on surface her wanting to "mother/sister" Sheldon I also think its her fears of the next big steps (a common theme for Penny since season 1). 

So yes, last night I did cringe a bit with her "I miss a time when life was simplier".  Spoke volumes to me and personally I think we'll see more of this down the road. 

I also can see it was so refreshing to see a very happy Leonard.  When he spoke to the guys he glowed.  And I felt bad when he wanted to express them to Penny and she shot him down again only caring about her job. 

I like their relationship and want it to succeed (honestly more for my friends who ship this couple).

So I will always offer my support to you folks!!  I am there for you!

Penny has never been that 9-5 girl until last season and making her that now does seem to dull her character.  It would be refreshing if they would bring the actress back with a little success, not a star, but at least enough success to make some money.  

5 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

When that psychiatrist asked to talk about why Penny married Leonard, her whispered "I don't wanna" sounded to me a bit like she didn't want to face the reason why.

Sounded to me like she didn't wanna talk about it in general. Penny isn't exactly forthcoming when it comes to how she feels, so I'd imagine the thought of talking to a stranger about her marriage would make her walls go up pretty quickly. 

38 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Sounded to me like she didn't wanna talk about it in general. Penny isn't exactly forthcoming when it comes to how she feels, so I'd imagine the thought of talking to a stranger about her marriage would make her walls go up pretty quickly. 

I agree. I think the "I don't wanna" was a kneejerk response to realizing this wasn't going to be a normal sales call after all, and that the psychiatrist wants to shrink her brain. "Nope. I don't wanna."

50 minutes ago, son-goku5 said:

When that psychiatrist asked to talk about why Penny married Leonard, her whispered "I don't wanna" sounded to me a bit like she didn't want to face the reason why.

I think it could have been taken either way, but the way she threw in the remark about the tank tops after makes me wonder if maybe your interpretation is closer to what she meant.

4 hours ago, kerrycec03 said:

I think like most therapy sessions she is just releasing everything out.  I don't think all his "toys" really bothered her that much BUT when everything is coming out things are said.  Personally Leonard's room is more mature than hers so.....

But I think as others have mentioned it all stems from her being a bit unhappy overall with her life.  We are left with a gleaming Leonard who is finally able to overcome his horrible childhood and even comes across optimistic & romantic by telling Sheldon/Raj to name the asteroid after their girlfriends.

So this again confirms its Penny.  I personally think she "settled" for pharm sales and was sorta bullied by Bernadette, and Leonard to a degree, to find a big girl job.  She moved out to LA with dreams of being an actress.  Well that ship has sailed and she is good at her job, but doesn't enjoy it.  So I do think this isn't the last we see of her career frustrations.

Now as far as her love for Leonard, I do believe she loves him.  And while they are so different I as a non-shipper can see she has softened a little bit towards him.  I actually felt for seasons their relationship wasn't balanced because he would do anything for her and she would insult and jab him.  But the writers did change this. 

I do think if they got out of 4A and into their own place it would help a LOT.  And I've said on other threads but I do think there is a codependency between Sheldon and Lenny.  On surface it appears its Sheldon keeping them with him, BUT when push comes to shove Penny is the one that caves (several times actually).  While its again on surface her wanting to "mother/sister" Sheldon I also think its her fears of the next big steps (a common theme for Penny since season 1). 

So yes, last night I did cringe a bit with her "I miss a time when life was simplier".  Spoke volumes to me and personally I think we'll see more of this down the road. 

I also can see it was so refreshing to see a very happy Leonard.  When he spoke to the guys he glowed.  And I felt bad when he wanted to express them to Penny and she shot him down again only caring about her job. 

I like their relationship and want it to succeed (honestly more for my friends who ship this couple).

So I will always offer my support to you folks!!  I am there for you!

the "voice of reason", thank you for your support.

1 hour ago, son-goku5 said:

That’s reasonable to me. Remember (S6/E16):

Why couldn't we just have a nice time?
I don't know. Maybe 'cause things are going so well between us lately and I've been really happy.
Okay, you're gonna have to make a lot more sense than that.
Obviously, I have some commitment issues.
Glaringly obvious. Go on.

:shy:

Edited by veejay

7 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

The question was why did Penny marry Leonard?  One of her answers was that she "used to wear tank-tops a lot, so that was a selling point"---not a real answer to that question??? Comments--Responses---

Well, Penny has often said that she feels Leonard is too good/smart for her. Last time she said something along those lines was in 9x02, so not that long ago. I think in Penny's mind it's obvious why she married the guy. She thinks he's amazing. She's always been attracted to how smart and kind he is. I think she still wonders why someone like Leonard married her, though.

2 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Well, Penny has often said that she feels Leonard is too good/smart for her. Last time she said something along those lines was in 9x02, so not that long ago. I think in Penny's mind it's obvious why she married the guy. She thinks he's amazing. She's always been attracted to how smart and kind he is. I think she still wonders why someone like Leonard married her, though.

Agreed No Regrets.  I think her answer goes again to that self doubt as to his "why".....

Just now, No Regrets said:

I was wondering about the "selling point". Either the answer was a misdirection to her former attire when making a sale (remember Amy saying "When you bend down like this, I can look down your shirt." followed by Penny's "Good." plus she was wearing the "shirt that was inappropriate" at the beginning of the episode) or it was a memory at the time when she was able to make guys pay for stuff for her by flaunting her secondary sexual characteristics (as Amy called them ^^)

That is the million dollar question why does she love Leonard and most importantly why does he love her so much. I would love tptb to explore this further because I freaking want to know, it a question that has been ignored by the writers for too long. Whenever it come up they seem to make the character dodge the question with an answer so unbelievable and nothing to do with the actual question. I just want an episode where they devour into this. No holding back and talk about why they love each other.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Just now, Tonstar17 said:

That is the million dollar question why does she love Leonard and most importantly why does he love her so much. I would love tptb to explore this further because I freaking want to know, it a question that has been ignored by the writers for too long. Whenever it come up they seem to make the character dodge the question with an answer so unbelievable and nothing to do with the actual question. I just want an episode where they devour into this. No holding back and talk about why they love each other.

That would be great. I mean, we as fans know these characters well enough to know why they love each other, but it'd be nice to hear them say it. 

I don't think there's any reason to doubt Penny's feelings in general, though. I mean, she fell for Leonard pretty darn quickly. When I think of Penny during the first 3 seasons, I remember a lot of this: "Oh my god, you two are at the hospital, IS LEONARD OKAY??? You're going to the North Pole, whatevs Sheldon, wait LEONARD IS GOING, TOO???" There was a very clear fixation on Leonard. He just became very special to her very fast and it was beautiful to watch.

On 8.1.2016 at 8:44 PM, No Regrets said:

That would be great. I mean, we as fans know these characters well enough to know why they love each other, but it'd be nice to hear them say it. 

I don't think there's any reason to doubt Penny's feelings in general, though. I mean, she fell for Leonard pretty darn quickly. When I think of Penny during the first 3 seasons, I remember a lot of this: "Oh my god, you two are at the hospital, IS LEONARD OKAY??? You're going to the North Pole, whatevs Sheldon, wait LEONARD IS GOING, TOO???" There was a very clear fixation on Leonard. He just became very special to her very fast and it was beautiful to watch.

Hmmmm......

:icon_wink:

Edited by veejay

17 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Well, at the North Pole situation she was well on her way to becoming his girlfriend anyway. :icon_cheesygrin:

Just now, Tonstar17 said: That is the million dollar question why does she love Leonard and most importantly why does he love her so much. I would love tptb to explore this further because I freaking want to know, it a question that has been ignored by the writers for too long. Whenever it come up they seem to make the character dodge the question with an answer so unbelievable and nothing to do with the actual question. I just want an episode where they devour into this. No holding back and talk about why they love each other.

I miss those times too, they were so beautiful to watch. She really cared for him and always asked where Leonard was when she came to 4A. I don't doubt that she loves him to bits but it will be nice to see those moments again now they are married. It just seems like Leonard is the only one working on the relationship while penny takes him for granted. Sometimes i can't help thinking that the writers are intentionally writing them badly on purpose. They still can be so sweet together I just don't understand the need to always create conflicts for them. It's doesn't really help when one of the top writers publicly states he loves writing lenny conflicts.

21 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Perfect gif.

There was also that time when Penny told Leonard he's ruined other men for her because of how smart he is. And she needed to have him right there and then.

That was the season 3 finale ^^ He had destroyed her ability to tolerate idiots. Though Penny later (some time after the comic book store costume party) had no problem having sex with Zack, even marrying him in Vegas

Edited by son-goku5