The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Lenny: Season 9

5 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

I think it's more like he saved the money to help bring down the mountain of debt his now wife as acrued in the years she has been living across from them. For one thing, we don't know how long he had this account, so he might have thought that she would spend the money upon learning about it.

I am hoping that the money in the account is the money Penny insisted on returning after selling the car that Leonard bought her as a gift (minus the massage and "best fiance ever" frame).  I just wish the episode would have some sort of resolution such as Leonard suggesting that he pay half the rent at Penny's apartment while they figure out how to merge their belongings and finally move in together.  

Also, I know others have mentioned, but I reiterate how could Penny have a guy  diversify all her savings if she is still paying down so much debt?  Also, how much debt could she have when she was gloating last season about making twice what Leonard makes in salary?  Also, why does Penny have to go back to being a waitress in order to go for auditions?  I would think the sales call jobs would offer more flexibility.

What happened to Leonard and Penny finding mutually agreeable solutions, rather than leaving lingering "concerns"?

• Like 3

On 17/03/2016 at 8:48 AM, Strawberry PopTart Fan said:

And we'll get to meet Leonard's father!

big-bang-theory-judd-hirsch-leonard-dad.jpg

Good choice.

On 17/03/2016 at 11:10 AM, SRAM said:

He is really going to have to act to come off as a guy who really wanted to marry Beverly at one point in his life.  I bet he is going to tell Leonard his mother wasn't as bad when he first married her.  

I still wish Lisa Kudrow showed up with him as his girlfriend/waitress, it maybe would make Penny fell better about her job, if her father-in-laws girlfriend said something like I wish I had a career like yours.

That's the thing though, we don't really know what Beverly was like when she was younger and unmarried.
Academia may have turned her into the Beverly we know today. Leonard's learned a lot of uncomfortable things about
his family via Beverly, now it's probably time he learned some things from his dad. All we've had is Beverly's side of the marriage, now
it's time for Leonard's dad to tell his side of things. They may not address everything in a single episode, but it would be nice for one of Leonard's parents to show that they are proud of him without a guilt trip attached.

The thing with Penny is that she is insecure and that pretty much dictates a lot of her behaviour (breaking up with Leonard etc, thinking about breaking up with Leonard again until Leonard unleashed the sad eyes etc). So having a character telling her she's great wouldn't really solve Penny's issues. She needs to face up to them, which is perhaps what the writers have started to do a bit more. We shall see. Though I can kind of see Sheldon telling her to get Therapy as long as it's with Beverly.

On 16/03/2016 at 8:51 PM, SRAM said:

There seems to be some really big Lenny stuff going on this episode:

1.  Some people say they don't have anything in common or they only do what Leonard wants, well it now seems that a weekend in a cabin and hiking is something they both enjoy and definitely goes in the Penny likes column.

2.  Penny admits Leonard 'Rocks her world' in the bedroom.

3.  But most importantly, Penny opened up to Leonard about her feelings concerning her life and discussed it with him like a wife to her husband.  And she did it without talking to Sheldon first or with Sheldon even there, can I get a hallelujah people.

This could be the best Lenny episode of the season.

1. They do have a lot in common, once you strip away the street smarts and the science. The issue with Penny is she can come off as a bit of a control freak and Leonard lets it slide as I think he knows how insecure Penny is. He's got a lot of patience, though Leonard has his own issues, which Penny has had a hand in helping him with over the seasons. Seems like they are switching to Penny's insecurities rather than Leonards.

2. It takes a lot for Penny to admit anything. The last big one she admitted was the "You know I love you" scene.

3. Penny sounds like she's starting to grow up a bit and dropped the sarcasm mask with Leonard. At least that's how I hope it plays out on screen.

Overall I don't think Lenny have had a lot of time together without it turning into a big old fight in recent times. The initial bumps in the marriage road seem to have have eased up a bit. As for Penny hating her job ? That's understandable as she's probably still dreaming of becoming an actress yet cold reality means she has to keep her current job to pay off the debt. Penny from the earlier seasons would have quit the job and gone back to trying to become a successful actress aka back to the cheese cake factory. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 910 said:

I am hoping that the money in the account is the money Penny insisted on returning after selling the car that Leonard bought her as a gift (minus the massage and "best fiance ever" frame).  I just wish the episode would have some sort of resolution such as Leonard suggesting that he pay half the rent at Penny's apartment while they figure out how to merge their belongings and finally move in together. 

[ -- SNIP -- ]

I hadn't thought about that! It would be lovely if this secret bank account was the bed sex money! After Penny's mood killing facial expression that she did have sex on a pile of money before, I can see Leonard gathering it up and opening the bank account the next morning with the rationalization that least something good came out of it.

2 hours ago, 910 said:

[ -- SNIP -- ]

Also, I know others have mentioned, but I reiterate how could Penny have a guy  diversify all her savings if she is still paying down so much debt?  Also, how much debt could she have when she was gloating last season about making twice what Leonard makes in salary?  Also, why does Penny have to go back to being a waitress in order to go for auditions?  I would think the sales call jobs would offer more flexibility.

[ -- SNIP --]

Penny kept financial -- I won't say secrets -- but at the very least kept financially silent towards Leonard when he found out that 1) she had a 'guy' and; 2) made twice the amount of money than him. And, if I may add, IMO, Leonard, humiliatingly, found all of this out during Wil Wheaton's live pod cast. No idea what his listenership is but, to me, Leonard was publicly emasculated. I'm not saying that a woman can't be financially independent or make more money than her SO (Do it! You go, girl!) it's just the way Leonard found out about that was, for me as a Leonard fan, exceedingly painful.

I don't remember the source material exactly but I remember reading that Kaley hoped that the writer's gave her another job because she was tired of wearing her waitress' uniform. Shortly thereafter, she's a pharmaceutical rep. Now I'm all for my favorite fictional characters taking another step and improving their finances, situations, and lives but when Penny stopped waitressing and became a rep, they made her job horribly unfunny.

I loved it when we would visit The Cheesecake Factory and Penny had an attitude, giving lousy service and yelling at the customers! Amy and Bernadette reaching behind the counter to serve themselves because they knew Penny wouldn't was a hoot! Wonderful comedic times at The Cheesecake Factory! But that all came to a screeching halt when she joined big pharma. The best part of Penny's job, IMO, was her boss Dan played by the wonderful Stephen Root. And we only saw him twice. Penny's pharmaceutical rep job was a mindboggling crash and burn comedically, IMO. 

2 hours ago, 910 said:

[ -- SNIP -- ]

What happened to Leonard and Penny finding mutually agreeable solutions, rather than leaving lingering "concerns"?

Welcome to 'Penny and Leonard 2.0'!

As a devout and die hard Lenny, starting at Season 7 through now, I find myself relying on my more hopeful and positive Lenny cohorts. 'Penny is deeply in love with Leonard but she's afraid of losing him that's why she snarky ... Leonard kissed another woman because he's afraid of losing Penny ... Penny speaks nicely to Sheldon while belittling and minimizing Leonard because she doesn't care what Sheldon thinks about her.' Un-huh. OK. I can't quite wrap my mind around really any of that but I'll take your word for it. 

I guess I prefer my OTP to be less circular with less grey tones that leaves plenty of room for different and varied but equal interpretations. As a Lenny, I crave something, anything, that can be more demonstrative and absolute. You open the box and the cat's alive or it isn't. Sometimes, when I look at that cat in the box, I'm not too sure what I'm seeing.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, 5Mississippis said:

I hadn't thought about that! It would be lovely if this secret bank account was the bed sex money! After Penny's mood killing facial expression that she did have sex on a pile of money before, I can see Leonard gathering it up and opening the bank account the next morning with the rationalization that least something good came out of it.

Penny kept financial -- I won't say secrets -- but at the very least kept financially silent towards Leonard when he found out that 1) she had a 'guy' and; 2) made twice the amount of money than him. And, if I may add, IMO, Leonard, humiliatingly, found all of this out during Wil Wheaton's live pod cast. No idea what his listenership is but, to me, Leonard was publicly emasculated. I'm not saying that a woman can't be financially independent or make more money than her SO (Do it! You go, girl!) it's just the way Leonard found out about that was, for me as a Leonard fan, exceedingly painful.

I don't remember the source material exactly but I remember reading that Kaley hoped that the writer's gave her another job because she was tired of wearing her waitress' uniform. Shortly thereafter, she's a pharmaceutical rep. Now I'm all for my favorite fictional characters taking another step and improving their finances, situations, and lives but when Penny stopped waitressing and became a rep, they made her job horribly unfunny.

I loved it when we would visit The Cheesecake Factory and Penny had an attitude, giving lousy service and yelling at the customers! Amy and Bernadette reaching behind the counter to serve themselves because they knew Penny wouldn't was a hoot! Wonderful comedic times at The Cheesecake Factory! But that all came to a screeching halt when she joined big pharma. The best part of Penny's job, IMO, was her boss Dan played by the wonderful Stephen Root. And we only saw him twice. Penny's pharmaceutical rep job was a mindboggling crash and burn comedically, IMO. 

Welcome to 'Penny and Leonard 2.0'!

As a devout and die hard Lenny, starting at Season 7 through now, I find myself relying on my more hopeful and positive Lenny cohorts. 'Penny is deeply in love with Leonard but she's afraid of losing him that's why she snarky ... Leonard kissed another woman because he's afraid of losing Penny ... Penny speaks nicely to Sheldon while belittling and minimizing Leonard because she doesn't care what Sheldon thinks about her.' Un-huh. OK. I can't quite wrap my mind around really any of that but I'll take your word for it. 

I guess I prefer my OTP to be less circular with less grey tones that leaves plenty of room for different and varied but equal interpretations. As a Lenny, I crave something, anything, that can be more demonstrative and absolute. You open the box and the cat's alive or it isn't. Sometimes, when I look at that cat in the box, I'm not too sure what I'm seeing.

Hi 5 Miss:girlhospital:

Here's a message from one of your positive Lenny cohorts:kiss:: cat's alive :superstition: (Couldn't help myself. I've been waiting for an opportunity to let little emoticon kitty out of the box!)

Strawberry

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, 5Mississippis said:

Totally agree with this. The Cheesecake Factory for me was almost like a 4A watering hole, with a lot of conversations and smartass exchanges between everyone. I enjoyed bartender Penny too. It was an end to an era when Penny "grew up" and took the Pharm job. Such a pity...

I get that when we were first introduced to Penny in season 1 shes this perky young gal trying to break into acting and the waitress job made sense. And season after season we were reminded of her immaturity regarding how she handles her finances (credit card debt, not paying bills and rent, charging expensive shoes out of her budget on a Texaco card lol)...so yeah, at some point she needed to grow up. I get it.

But I miss my favorite waitress....

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 5Mississippis said:

As a Lenny, I crave something, anything, that can be more demonstrative and absolute. You open the box and the cat's alive or it isn't. Sometimes, when I look at that cat in the box, I'm not too sure what I'm seeing.

The cat is alive! For me, there's no doubt about it.

140.gif

• Like 5

Well, 5Mississippis, I hope you'll be able to enjoy the upcoming episodes more. I know how much it sucks to not like the writing for your favorite couple anymore. I've stopped watching Castle a while ago because the writing for Castle/Beckett turned into shit and I knew things weren't gonna change. 

That probably won't cheer you up, but yeah.

• Like 3

I really think I'm in the minority, but I like pharma rep Penny.  I think she gets it that she is making this boatload of money and it may not last long.  I'm happy that she doesn't have to scrounge to make ends meet.  Doesn't have to mooch off Leonard and Sheldon for things like wifi (and NOT have to accept loans from Sheldon!!!).  Along with that, I like the more mature wardrobe.  The grown-up haircut (after the ghastly pixie in Season 8).  I'm just liking the adult version of Penny now that she is Mrs. Hofstadter....

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

I really think I'm in the minority, but I like pharma rep Penny.  I think she gets it that she is making this boatload of money and it may not last long.  I'm happy that she doesn't have to scrounge to make ends meet.  Doesn't have to mooch off Leonard and Sheldon for things like wifi (and NOT have to accept loans from Sheldon!!!).  Along with that, I like the more mature wardrobe.  The grown-up haircut (after the ghastly pixie in Season 8).  I'm just liking the adult version of Penny now that she is Mrs. Hofstadter....

The pixie cut didn't suit her at all, the current length is great.

Penny deserves to be financially successful after being broke for so many years and after all the disappointment and insecurity her failed auditions have caused her. Although she is great at her job I would find it incredibly sad if she stayed there forever since it doesn' t fullfill her. I hope that eventually she will manage to find a job that she will be both good at and be able to make money from, or maybe a hobby that will allow her to express her creativity.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Incredibly adorable interview where Johnny talks about Leonard & Penny:

http://www.accesshollywood.com/videos/big-bang-theory-galecki-talks-leonard-pennys-marriage-judd-hirsch-casting/ 

like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like. :giverose: Johnny does love Leonard and Penny.:giveheart: Seems to be ok with the "snark".

Edited by Strawberry PopTart Fan
  • Like 1

Wonderful interview! And I think Johnny's right -- Leonard will be more of the 'mother' to any future smart and beautiful babies. He's already had the dream if himself nursing a baby in a cave that had Sheldon's head. I'm all for Leonard being lovingly maternal but YIKES! to the baby with Sheldon's head. That is some weird shit. Good job, Bev!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

I think it's more like he saved the money to help bring down the mountain of debt his now wife as acrued in the years she has been living across from them. For one thing, we don't know how long he had this account, so he might have thought that she would spend the money upon learning about it.

Of course Leonard had a secret bank account how else would he be able to help pay Penny's bills buy her a car and pretty much make sure she wasn't homeless and starving to death when she was a waitress/actress the episode where she joked about selling Raj and Howard her panties for $1400 caused she owed Leonard that much for supporting her just my opinion on it

Edited by Earnie
  • Like 4

The inconsistency of the Hofstadter's financial situation is one of the glaring faults in the show.   Leonard helps Penny financially all through the time he dates her, even buying her a car when she needs it and she is always broke.  After they get engaged, she gets a great job, makes twice as much as him, offers him a loan and has to have a guy to manage her money, and now Leonard is broke and has huge student loan debt.  Now that they are married, Penny has huge credit card debt and has to keep her high paying job to pay it off, while Leonard has a secret bank account.  None of this makes any sense, in the show.

• Like 5

To be fair, Penny did ask if mounds of credit card debt is something she should let Leonard know about because they are engaged in 8.04 The Hook-up Reverberation.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tensor said:

To be fair, Penny did ask if mounds of credit card debt is something she should let Leonard know about because they are engaged in 8.04 The Hook-up Reverberation.   

That's true, but wasn't that the same episode that Leonard seemed to have enough money to invest in a comic book store, when later that season he is broke.  The writers have thrown out any attempt at consistency with their money situation.  Really the last couple of seasons they don't seem concerned about consistency at all when it comes to a lot of things in the show.

• Like 4

OK -- for some reason, I'm feeling a little bit hopeful. Don't know why but I'll just call it the 'hokie/Strawberry effect'. 

What are the chances ranging from -- slim to none, infinitesimal, abysmal, pretty good, delusional, hopefully, maybe, to pfffffffffffft -- that when Leonard's father shows, we get a wedding re-do. With Dr Hofstadter the elder being an anthropologist, he may have developed an appreciation for the bonding ceremonies of various cultures around the world. Maybe he will feel slighted that he missed his first born son's 'bonding ceremony' while Leonard and Penny find out no one saw their marriage because of the giant baby's temper tandrum, maybe a re-do will be in order. I know I read somewhere that Johnny would like something more than we've already been given and I think it would be nice and circular to have the season start and end with a Lenny wedding. 

Long night at work and I'm sitting in the car writing this so maybe it's exhaustion and the fumes talking!

I hate to say this because I'm always waiting for the other shoe to be flung at our heads with the velocity of a fastball but some reason .... I feel hopeful. 

Sub-question: Is it really 'hokie/Strawberry' or the exhaust fumes?

Edited by 5Mississippis
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, 5Mississippis said:

OK -- for some reason, I'm feeling a little bit hopeful. Don't know why but I'll just call it the 'hokie/Strawberry effect'. 

What are the chances ranging from -- slim to none, infinitesimal, abysmal, pretty good, delusional, hopefully, maybe, to pfffffffffffft -- that when Leonard's father shows, we get a wedding re-do. With Dr Hofstadter the elder being an anthropologist, he may have developed an appreciation for the bonding ceremonies of various cultures around the world. Maybe he will feel slighted that he missed his first born son's 'bonding ceremony' while Leonard and Penny find out no one saw their marriage because of the giant baby's temper tandrum, maybe a re-do will be in order. I know I read somewhere that Johnny would like something more than we've already been given and I think it would be nice and circular to have the season start and end with a Lenny wedding. 

Long night at work and I'm sitting in the car writing this so maybe it's exhaustion and the fumes talking!

I hate to say this because I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop but ... I feel hopeful. 

If "Wishin' and Hopin' and Thinkin' and Prayin'" can make it so, then this will happen. I love the idea of a wedding redo with Dr. Hofstadter, Sr.!

Love it. Want it. Need it for The Lennys!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, 5Mississippis said:

I hate to say this because I'm always waiting for the other shoe to be flung at our heads with the velocity of a fastball but some reason .... I feel hopeful. 

Crossing my fingers and toes for you guys cause that would be lovely! <3

• Like 7

On 3/18/2016 at 8:42 AM, 910 said:

Penny will always have her insecurities it  it just who she is, Leonard loves her for that too. They are not the same lenny as they were in s1 , s 2 . Their undying love for each other is there of course; but now  just they  kook at each other ; they know whar are they thinking.  We all remember what penny said to Leonard on her wedding vows, " we will face our troubles together, you 've got a friend in me " .  We all know that Leonard will do anything to make sure that his penny is okay. mind boggling how she accumulated so much debt! Leonard  did pay her rent for a while and he pitched in always to help her.  Episode where penny told Leonard she would probably need to find a new apartment, leonard immediately gave her the hint he would help her pay for it. I believe Leonard helped penny pay for rent while he was dating phriya " his lowest and saddest moment on tbbt " his dating of phryia. As a lennie I dont like to remember it. I am sorry.  

But now penny realizes that her fears, concerns, expectations, are to be discussed with the love of her life, leonard.  

I meant to say, when penny told Leonard that she needed a cheaper place to live, I meant he gave her the inkling that would be a bad idea; she understood immediately that leonard wanted her to stay . She got message. Oh thank god she got message. :-) 

On 3/17/2016 at 4:48 AM, Strawberry PopTart Fan said:

And we'll get to meet Leonard's father!

big-bang-theory-judd-hirsch-leonard-dad.jpg

I always hoped for John Goodman too as his dad. 

Most likely Leonard's dad will give them a really nice wedding gift, material wise or financially wise. 

Yeah the writers have lost  it when it comes lennys financial situation, I guess the writers have put their energies on the " other couple " making lenny as just set extras, but have no fear lennies; there is always light at the end of tunnel for our favorite couple. In the end, they will be great.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cAntonio Santos said:

Most likely Leonard's dad will give them a really nice wedding gift, material wise or financially wise. 

Yeah the writers have lost  it when it comes lennys financial situation, I guess the writers have put their energies on the " other couple " making lenny as just set extras, but have no fear lennies; there is always light at the end of tunnel for our favorite couple. In the end, they will be great.

They are always great!  We just don't get to see them being great too much anymore. But(in our heads) they are great!

Hold your hand and do it with you..jpg

Leonard likes Penny's hair too.jpg

Welcome to our Island.jpg

Penny flashes Leonard.jpg

Two Hearts.png

• Like 9

On 3/18/2016 at 11:43 AM, Taperoo said:

Good choice.

That's the thing though, we don't really know what Beverly was like when she was younger and unmarried.
Academia may have turned her into the Beverly we know today. Leonard's learned a lot of uncomfortable things about
his family via Beverly, now it's probably time he learned some things from his dad. All we've had is Beverly's side of the marriage, now
it's time for Leonard's dad to tell his side of things. They may not address everything in a single episode, but it would be nice for one of Leonard's parents to show that they are proud of him without a guilt trip attached.

The thing with Penny is that she is insecure and that pretty much dictates a lot of her behaviour (breaking up with Leonard etc, thinking about breaking up with Leonard again until Leonard unleashed the sad eyes etc). So having a character telling her she's great wouldn't really solve Penny's issues. She needs to face up to them, which is perhaps what the writers have started to do a bit more. We shall see. Though I can kind of see Sheldon telling her to get Therapy as long as it's with Beverly.

1. They do have a lot in common, once you strip away the street smarts and the science. The issue with Penny is she can come off as a bit of a control freak and Leonard lets it slide as I think he knows how insecure Penny is. He's got a lot of patience, though Leonard has his own issues, which Penny has had a hand in helping him with over the seasons. Seems like they are switching to Penny's insecurities rather than Leonards.

2. It takes a lot for Penny to admit anything. The last big one she admitted was the "You know I love you" scene.

3. Penny sounds like she's starting to grow up a bit and dropped the sarcasm mask with Leonard. At least that's how I hope it plays out on screen.

Overall I don't think Lenny have had a lot of time together without it turning into a big old fight in recent times. The initial bumps in the marriage road seem to have have eased up a bit. As for Penny hating her job ? That's understandable as she's probably still dreaming of becoming an actress yet cold reality means she has to keep her current job to pay off the debt. Penny from the earlier seasons would have quit the job and gone back to trying to become a successful actress aka back to the cheese cake factory. 

I am not sure if Leonard would be that comfortable in having his wife back working at chease cake factory,

I agree Strawberry Pop Tart Fan, alpha male and queen bee rule, and always will.  I like to say , GO LENNY :-)