[Spoiler Free] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

200th ep!

It made sense to use so many characters for a celebration milestone like this, including characters we haven’t seen in a long time. It was weird that Sheldon’s mother wasn’t there, but I’d rather see her in an episode where there is more time to use her anyway.

Having all of these people attend the party helped make this feel like a story that celebrates the entire show. At the same time, having the entire episode revolve so completely around Sheldon might have been too much. I would’ve preferred to see them throw a general party to celebrate all of Sheldon’s friends for his birthday. He has anxiety about this kind of thing, so making the party about everyone would’ve been a kind gesture from his friends, making Sheldon feel comfortable while simultaneously allowing everyone a time to shine.

Anyway, there were lots of Shamy moments that I enjoyed:

Amy fixing Sheldon’s tie was cute, as was the “birthday suit” joke. Having coitus wouldn’t suddenly make Sheldon able to understand little comments like that, and I still find his cluelessness endearing.

Three references to Shamy coitus in this one, unless I missed something. 1)“birthday suit” 2)Amy wanting him to have a special birthday because of how special he made hers 3)Amy’s little debate with Leonard talking about having seen Sheldon naked and vice versa. 

Amy’s toast to Sheldon was sweet, particularly because of the way she shifted the whole party by being the first to do that. Instead of something to run away from, she made it into something he could enjoy.

I would’ve preferred it to be Amy to talk with Sheldon when he ran off, but I know there will always be a lot of Sheldon scenes with Leonard or Penny. I like those friendships anyway, and it did feel like a bit of a throwback to the older seasons. 

I was pleased that Amy got to speak up and say that it should be her to go after Sheldon. It means that at least the writers are somewhat aware that using Leonard or Penny in that spot isn’t necessarily the most appropriate choice anymore. It gives me hope that maybe someday they'll get to grow out of some of the current dynamics and maybe even alter the living arrangements.

• Like 5

I’ve been thinking the same thing about Leonard and Penny being the ones who don't want to move out. Sheldon wanted them to stay during the breakup period, but why they continue to do so at this point is otherwise a bit of a mystery. Perhaps they are the ones having a hard time letting him go now.

Given how often the characters joke about not wanting Sheldon around, I agree that it was nice to get to hear kind words from his friends. 

For the past three episodes, I’ve been enjoying Amy a lot. She’s funny, lighthearted, and seems to be very happy with Sheldon again. It's everything that I had hoped to see from her after their reconciliation. During the Meemaw episode she felt a bit off, and it makes me think that maybe finding out about the ring might have been one final bit of reassurance that she needed. 

• Like 3

So I am going to be honest and say that the 200th did not live to my expectations. I saw it being taped and I must say that I expected a little more plot then we were given. I feel like they spent more time trying to get as many guest stars as they could and then scarcely used them. I thought Leonard had the perfect reaction to it being the only day, "episode", that was entirely about Sheldon. Since this is the Shamy thread and no body wants to hear me rant on how I think they could have done better with the 200th, I will talk about the Shamy moments I enjoyed. 

Amy helping him with his tie was adorable. At the taping before they started the first take, I saw Mayim practice how she was going to adjust it. I thought it was just Mayim trying to help Jim out before the scene. So it made me laugh when her adjusting it was actually in the scene. Her toast to him was beautiful. I also enjoyed the little banter on which one should go talk to Sheldon after he stormed off. Like RJ1013 said it means the writers are starting to acknowledge the fact that it might have made more sense for Amy to talk to him. 

Also while I have no problem with the Sheldon and Penny hug I must mention my thought process when I saw it. More than likely because of my SIH (Sheldon initiated hug) obsession, I thought when Penny said "you didn't think you'd get through this night without a hug", Sheldon would say something like "no you are right". Then Sheldon would walk over to Amy hug her and tell her "thank you for convincing me to have this party". It was a fun 20 second headcanon I had until Penny hugged Sheldon.  

• Like 4

On 2/26/2016 at 10:25 PM, RJ1013 said:

Amy’s toast to Sheldon was sweet, particularly because of the way she shifted the whole party by being the first to do that. Instead of something to run away from, she made it into something he could enjoy.

I would’ve preferred it to be Amy to talk with Sheldon when he ran off, but I know there will always be a lot of Sheldon scenes with Leonard or Penny. I like those friendships anyway, and it did feel like a bit of a throwback to the older seasons. 

I was pleased that Amy got to speak up and say that it should be her to go after Sheldon. It means that at least the writers are somewhat aware that using Leonard or Penny in that spot isn’t necessarily the most appropriate choice anymore. It gives me hope that maybe someday they'll get to grow out of some of the current dynamics and maybe even alter the living arrangements.

On 2/26/2016 at 3:50 AM, QBMaja said:

I found Amy and Leonard quarreling about who should go after Sheldon funny and very telling. Amy was right of course, but Leonard apparently is not willing to step aside. I think he is in complete denial that he can't part from his best buddy/brother (awww!).

My favourite line probably should be Amy's "I feel like I got the greatest gift the day he was born." (which was truly an "Awww"-moment if there ever was one), 

14 hours ago, dana1010 said:

Her toast to him was beautiful. I also enjoyed the little banter on which one should go talk to Sheldon after he stormed off. Like RJ1013 said it means the writers are starting to acknowledge the fact that it might have made more sense for Amy to talk to him. 

Also while I have no problem with the Sheldon and Penny hug I must mention my thought process when I saw it. More than likely because of my SIH (Sheldon initiated hug) obsession, I thought when Penny said "you didn't think you'd get through this night without a hug", Sheldon would say something like "no you are right". Then Sheldon would walk over to Amy hug her and tell her "thank you for convincing me to have this party". It was a fun 20 second headcanon I had until Penny hugged Sheldon.  

This single line that Amy said: "I feel like I got the greatest gift the day he was born" was not only beautifully subtle it also had a lot of power:

>On the party front: It shifted the party from being a complete failure to make Sheldon happy to a successful event of love and appreciation for her dearly beloved. Whew! Thank you for that Amy.

>On the Leonard front: It means that she is the best person to talk to Sheldon (sorry Leonard). He might have been with him a very long time but Leonard rarely made Sheldon feel better when he was down in the dumps. When Prof Proton died, when Sheldon's discovery turned out to be a stroke of luck which turned out to be a mistake after all, when Amy broke up with him: Leonard was there, yes. His heart was there, yes. But he never made Sheldon feel better. If anything, it was Sheldon who often gives comfort to Leonard in his own twisted way. But Amy says one line, and he was smiling again.

>On the Penny front: Many Shamy fans might have been kinda 'wrecked' with their sweet moment in the bathroom because Sheldon opened up to her a very deep wound from his childhood and, of course, the hug. I personally was touched by it. But to bring comfort to some Shamy hearts, Sheldon had opened up to Amy about childhood wounds before. Fort Cozy McBlanket, whose anniversary is very near, was the fruit of one of those. The Penny hug. How sweet is that. But then, he wouldn't have found it less hate-worthy and only irritating if it weren't for Amy. He shared with Amy the most intimate physical contact he has ever had with anyone. Oh, but we didn't get to see it on camera! We had five kisses this season anyway (six if you count the non-stop makeout session by the door in 9x10 as two as they were in two scenes). And lastly, Sheldon was not yet quite okay when he went out of the bathroom. He went out because he was a grown man. He wanted to show that on his birthday, he had matured enough. He wanted to show he was being sensitive of the efforts of those who prepared the party. When he says "Oh this is getting quickly out of hand," Amy immediately notices. And what does she do? She toasts him. No pep-talk. Nothing cheesy or poetic that he wouldn't understand.

Just that one line, with the subtlety of her love, and he was okay.

Edited by sunnydiamante
typo
  • Like 4

@dana1010I enjoyed it, but I agree that it was a little disappointing. Twenty minutes wasn’t enough time to make use of so many guest stars. In retrospect, I would have preferred a story with just the seven characters that we all care about the most for a milestone like this. When they were setting up one last scene at the end of the taping, I had hoped that they were going to shoot a different ending and was disappointed that it was only a slightly altered Penny hug. I still liked the Shamy aspects of this episode, though.

@sunnydiamanteAmy’s speech was beautiful! I agree that Penny and Sheldon’s friendship does not detract from what he has with Amy. I actually find the contrast interesting, and it's nice that he has close friends. Sheldon might hug Penny or have important conversations with her, but I find that those moments are in no way as significant as the ones he has with Amy.

7 hours ago, QBMaja said:

@RJ1013: Amy was great in the last few episodes and I really hope that she stays like that for the remainder of the season/series. I don't like the idea though that it's because she knows about the ring. Wouldn't that mean that she still somehow doubted Sheldon despite the enormous growth he has shown in regards to their relationship?

No one would understand and appreciate Sheldon’s growth as much as Amy. I don’t think she would doubt his affection, but I do think she’d have reason to doubt that he’d want to live with her. Anytime Amy has brought up the subject of living with Sheldon, it hasn’t exactly gone well for her, so she may very well have resigned herself to living alone indefinitely.

I’ve always considered loneliness to be a big issue for her. Extensive peer rejection is one of the few things we know about Amy’s past, and becoming friends with all of the people on the show has been an important catalyst for her character’s own growth. I think finding out that Sheldon is planning a permanent future with her and that she won’t be living alone forever is something that would really have meant a lot to her. It’s a level of acceptance that a younger Amy probably never expected to achieve. I'd expect her to be happy and content in a new way with that knowledge.

I'm trying not to have too many expectations about the rest of the season too, but I would not mind seeing the ring come up again!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, RJ1013 said:

I’ve always considered loneliness to be a big issue for her. Extensive peer rejection is one of the few things we know about Amy’s past, and becoming friends with all of the people on the show has been an important catalyst for her character’s own growth. I think finding out that Sheldon is planning a permanent future with her and that she won’t be living alone forever is something that would really have meant a lot to her. It’s a level of acceptance that a younger Amy probably never expected to achieve. I'd expect her to be happy and content in a new way with that knowledge.

This is making me cry...

• Like 2

Sheldon has come a long way.  He seemed genuinely touched that his friends threw him this party, and we was graciously thanking them at the beginning of the party and again after the bathroom scene. I think a few seasons ago he wouldn't have done that.

Also I like that the show touched on the fact that they are friends and care for each other.  I think it's a point that often gets lost in the show, and especially on this forum.  Leonard seeking out batman for his best friend and his speech?  Penny talking to Sheldon and saying she'll hang out with him and there was no pressure to come outside if he didn't want to.  One of her favourite people.  So so sweet.  

I liked that this 200th episode was filled with good feelings and happiness!

Edited by nibbler747
  • Like 9

On 28/2/2016 at 6:04 PM, nibbler747 said:

Sheldon has come a long way.  He seemed genuinely touched that his friends threw him this party, and we was graciously thanking them at the beginning of the party and again after the bathroom scene. I think a few seasons ago he wouldn't have done that.

Also I like that the show touched on the fact that they are friends and care for each other.  I think it's a point that often gets lost in the show, and especially on this forum.  Leonard seeking out batman for his best friend and his speech?  Penny talking to Sheldon and saying she'll hang out with him and there was no pressure to come outside if he didn't want to.  One of her favourite people.  So so sweet.  

I liked that this 200th episode was filled with good feelings and happiness!

THIS!!! I totally agree.

• Like 2

Hi guys! I've posted this in the spoiler thread too, but since you won't be reading those, and this is SPOILER FREE, I'm sharing here too!

Zimbio is running it's annual March Madness TV Couples, and both Shamy and Lenny are nominated. 

If you want to vote, Shamy is the 3rd set up from the bottom on the left hand side and Lenny is the 7th set down from top on the right hand side. You can click on the set itself to bring up the voting, you don't have to go through all of them!

http://www.zimbio.com/brackets/TV+Couples+March+Madness+2016

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ashleyo85 said:

Hi guys! I've posted this in the spoiler thread too, but since you won't be reading those, and this is SPOILER FREE, I'm sharing here too!

Zimbio is running it's annual March Madness TV Couples, and both Shamy and Lenny are nominated. 

If you want to vote, Shamy is the 3rd set up from the bottom on the left hand side and Lenny is the 7th set down from top on the right hand side. You can click on the set itself to bring up the voting, you don't have to go through all of them!

http://www.zimbio.com/brackets/TV+Couples+March+Madness+2016

Are we allowed to vote many times?

To ease some of the pain and suffering of waiting for new episodes, I suggest we each talk about when and how we found the show. Also since this is the Shamy thread, we can mention when we knew we were Shamy fans. There's a lot of newish people in here that I wonder when they started watching the show. Some people are late bloomers. lol Anyone can post in here not just spoiler free fans. :)

I started watching the show in Jan 2013 when it was in its 6th season. I had done a WB studio tour and one of the sets we went to was BBT. I thought I would give it a try. I set up a whole bunch to record on my DVR and started watching syndicated episodes out of order. Eventually I realized that I needed to know how things happen in order so I bought all the DVDs. I started watching season 6 episodes when they came out towards the end. One of the first ones that I ever saw live was the Spoiler Alert Segmentation.

I joined the forum in August 2013 right after I had seen the season 7 premiere episode being taped. I joined because I wanted to reassure people that the Sheldon/Penny hug was not something to be worried about. Ever since then I have hoped back and forth between the Shamy spoiler free thread and the Shamy spoilers thread, which I go to if I ever go to tapings. 

I did not watch the Shamy progression before the middle of season 6 in the right order because I was watching them in syndication. Two moments in particular I remember making me realize I shipped them. One was when he grabs her hand at the end of season 5 and the other is the valentine's day episode in season 6. Season 6 V-Day episode is one of my favorite Shamy moments because it just shows how you don't need to spend a lot of money to get someone an amazing present that they will truly appreciate. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dana1010 said:

To ease some of the pain and suffering of waiting for new episodes, I suggest we each talk about when and how we found the show. Also since this is the Shamy thread, we can mention when we knew we were Shamy fans. There's a lot of newish people in here that I wonder when they started watching the show. Some people are late bloomers. lol Anyone can post in here not just spoiler free fans. :)

This is so weird I was just talking about this! 

I either saw an ad or someone told me that there was a new show coming on by the same guy who did Two and a Half men, I thought that show was pretty funny - I didn't love it, but it was funny so I decided to watch it.

We are very much into star wars/trek/gate in my house so a comedy about nerds was right up our alley and David from Roseanne being in it was another plus point (I loved Roseanne as a kid!) A lot of the things that still bother me to this day bothered me about it in the first few years, the inconsistencies in the story, 'the two and a half men' style skanky stories squicked me out but Sheldon was hilarious so I stuck with it :) 

The turning point for me was this :

mayim-bialik-on-the-big-bang-theory.png.

<3

My favourite character got a girlfriend that was just as unusual as he was! A few seasons later she had over taken him as my favourite even though she's not in it anywhere near as often.

This moment :

broken.png.90913f72f80b9a58b35ea50a226c3

Was when I had to get online and find spoilers and talk to people and landed here! I re-watched every episode over the summer and that is the story of how my Big Bang Theory problem developed ;) 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, dana1010 said:

I started watching the show in Jan 2013 when it was in its 6th season. I had done a WB studio tour and one of the sets we went to was BBT. I thought I would give it a try. I set up a whole bunch to record on my DVR and started watching syndicated episodes out of order. Eventually I realized that I needed to know how things happen in order so I bought all the DVDs. I started watching season 6 episodes when they came out towards the end. One of the first ones that I ever saw live was the Spoiler Alert Segmentation.

I joined the forum in August 2013 right after I had seen the season 7 premiere episode being taped. I joined because I wanted to reassure people that the Sheldon/Penny hug was not something to be worried about. Ever since then I have hoped back and forth between the Shamy spoiler free thread and the Shamy spoilers thread, which I go to if I ever go to tapings. 

I did not watch the Shamy progression before the middle of season 6 in the right order because I was watching them in syndication. Two moments in particular I remember making me realize I shipped them. One was when he grabs her hand at the end of season 5 and the other is the valentine's day episode in season 6. Season 6 V-Day episode is one of my favorite Shamy moments because it just shows how you don't need to spend a lot of money to get someone an amazing present that they will truly appreciate. 

I started watching the show last July when I was sick and randomly chose a show to binge-watch from an online streaming site. I had heard of it before but never paid any attention to it. So I binge-watched seasons 1 and 2 and discovered that it was so funny that I decided to keep watching.

In the middle of season 3 I wikid the show and found out about Amy and the season 8 finale. At that point I thought "whatever, it's obvious they're getting back together". Then...I became a shipper and things changed :D . I use that thought sometimes when my mind goes into strange territories :D.

I was a Shamy fan from the beginning. Actually, if she hadn't been introduced in the season 3 finale and if they didn't have the chemistry they do as a couple I would have stopped watching somewhere in the third season because while the show was funny and Sheldon was one of my favourite characters, eventually that wouldn't be enough...

So, Shamy is the main reason why I keep watching this show...If they're gone (knock knock), I'm gone.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, sunnydiamante said:

Are we allowed to vote many times?

It looks like only once per round, as it's not letting me vote again from my PC. 

But doesn't mean that you can't vote multiple times using different devices :laugh:

• Like 2

Since I am already late for my appointment, I just leave a short comment about last episode.

Unfortunately I didn't like it that much.

To much forced friendliness for Sheldon from people you don't expect to be on his party.

In real live, they would show up, at least Lesley Winkle.

I don't know...jokes didn't work for me...

I am putting all my hope in the next episode since I loved almost every other episodes this season.

@Einstein Von Brainstorm That is really cool that you started watching the show from the beginning. It would have been really cool to watch the progression slowly as it is happening. 

@Judith Binge watching is fun. I pretty much binge watched the first 5 seasons out of order. Glad to have you here. I also kind of agree that the show would have lost its edge if they didn't introduce Amy in season 4 and start using Bernadette more. The show would have felt stale. They needed that fresh perspective. 

• Like 1

I’m enjoying the TBBT fan histories, so I suppose I should post mine.

I first saw the show at a family member’s house, and I started watching episodes in syndication after that. The early season episodes were funny, but I became more interested in the show once they got to the seasons with Bernadette and Amy. It felt more relatable to watch the show with female characters other than just Penny.

Sheldon and Amy’s scenes were my favorites. I especially remember the awkward cuddle from “The Isolation Permutation.” It was so unusual and special for Sheldon to do that, and it was obvious that she had become someone very important to him. "The Flaming Spittoon Acquisition” was on soon after, and I kept both on the DVR for quite a while.

At some point we got rid of the DVR, and I got out of the habit of watching the show. I would see an occasional new episode, but I missed the end of season 6 and quite a bit of season 7. I started watching episodes online early in season 8. Anyway, I had not seen the train kiss or the date night kiss by the time I randomly watched “The Prom Equivalency,” and needless to say, I was shocked by the declarations of love. 

I first found this forum after the prom episode, wanting to read others’ reactions. I made an account just after “The Troll Manifestation” aired because I had gotten tickets to the show and wanted to ask some questions. The taping I saw was 8.20, “The Fortification Implementation,” which has a few of my favorite Shamy scenes.

At some point post-Prom I started to read and eventually write fanfic. There’s no denying the shipping once fanfic has entered the picture, so here I am :D 

• Like 6

On 3/3/2016 at 6:40 PM, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

The turning point for me was this :

mayim-bialik-on-the-big-bang-theory.png.

Agreed. Amy was adorable (or, to borrow a word from another FM, adorkable :icon_biggrin: ), from the moment she first appeared.

My introduction to TBBT, was stumbling  across this Youtube clip:-

I then went out and bought the seasons 1-6 box set, and had a BBT weekend, watching all 6 seasons.

• Like 5

I first started watching TBBT on youtube, well the bloopers really.  I'd heard of the show before, but it wasn't something I was interested in.  After my husband passed away in June of 2012, I wanted to watch something we'd never watched.  I started with the bloopers because they made me laugh out loud literally and I wanted/needed to laugh.  Then I started watching the reruns on TBS and finally watched the new episodes in Sept 2012 til now.  I found this forum reading TBBT fanfiction, alot of them spoke of Spoilers, so I googled to find them.....lol.   I lurked here until the the Prom Episode and then I just had to join in on the fun! :)  

• Like 6

@dana1010 This is fun!

I started watching TBBT because OUAT was on a break and I had nothing else to watch. My sister told me about this show hoping I'd become a shenny shipper like her. I binge watched from the S1x1but halfway through season 3 I kinda got bored and stopped. It was months later when I saw a video of Jim winning an Emmy that I wiki'd the show and the cast. That's when I learned Sheldon got a girlfriend. I looked up Mayim and became a fan mostly bec of her phd. That's when I resumed season 3.

I started rooting for them around S6. I started hardcore shipping them with the train kiss. Season 8 finale really struck me hard and that's when I joined the forum just so I could have an outlet. The rest is history.

Hey, I just wanted to share this for those who don't have tumblr...maybe help alleviate some of the hiatus blues.

It's a fanart for what I heard was the missing cuddle scene that was sadly taken away from us.

56db0565b015d_ShamyCoitus.thumb.jpg.f699

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, sunnydiamante said:

It's a fanart for what I heard was the missing cuddle scene that was sadly taken away from us.

56db0565b015d_ShamyCoitus.thumb.jpg.f699

But in exchange, we got a kiss that we didn't know about or was seen by the people who attended the taping.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, sunnydiamante said:

Oh the kiss was a surprise????

Yes it was!  The girls that went said they stopped right before J & M kissed but I guess they had them really do it later and used the kiss instead of the cuddle.

• Like 1