[Spoiler Free] Shamy: Season 9

I spoiled myself for the first two episodes now I am joining your army!  Spoiler free!  It's going to be so hard...but i think it's great to watch the show this way!!!  The overanalysis gets to me ....

• Like 4

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG! DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN?! WHAT DID I JUST WATCH?

Must rewatch. Will compose sentences tomorrow. 

I figured we’d get some kind of Shamy scene to reinforce that they were back together, but that was sooo unexpected. Holy moly. I’m glad you guys warned about spoilers being around a lot because

Posted Images

I will rejoin spoiler-free one of these days. I definitely prefer discussing episodes after they're aired and I can see for myself what the exact lines were and what facial expressions and intonations were like. I definitely haven't ever regretted being spoiler-free. lol

• Like 1

I will rejoin spoiler-free one of these days. I definitely prefer discussing episodes after they're aired and I can see for myself what the exact lines were and what facial expressions and intonations were like. I definitely haven't ever regretted being spoiler-free. lol

Yeah, I'm also thinking of going spoiler-free someday. Probably when Shamy reconciles :cheese:

• Like 3

Just promise to come in here and chat with us...I think it's going to be quiet in here!

Yes, it's so quiet here! We should start discussing something. I'm really afraid of being spoiled by accident. It would be safer to be here.
  • Like 2

Ok, how about this for discussion.  Why do you think, if they were going to break Shamy up at the end of Season 8, that they wouldn't put more glimpses of problems in their relationship throughout the season?  They never addressed Sheldon taking off on the train at all, so that opportunity was gone.  There was the Mars one, but other than that, the couple seemed to be growing much closer and happier.  They'd give hints about fun stuff they did offscreen also.  The fort was so cute, and it looked like things were going well for them.  I loved it, those cute Shamy moments just made me aaawwwh....

The break up seemed abrupt to me.  But a lot of last season was a little strange to me.

1.  No Lenny wedding planning - seemed odd.  Why not?  So many funny episodes could have been written about this.

2.  Did they have a storyline planned for Howard, Bernadette and Raj?  They went with dealing with Howard's mother's death, but that was a bit of a unplanned event, so what was their original plan for them?

3.  Shamy was getting super sweet, and getting more affectionate with each other.  If they'd have shown more trouble brewing in their relationship building throughout the season, this would have been more believable.

Was this for ratings, or do you think this is their way of throwing a major wrench in their relationship to change their dynamic?

• Like 2

I frankly have no idea what the writers think because they're the types who don't plan ahead and go with whatever comes to their minds. They've said that a lot of times.

They're also not the kind that will generally cave to the demands of fans or take what TV critics say into consideration. They just do their thing :icon_razz:

Personally I think that the writers are using this break, to introduce a dramatic shift in the way Sheldon views sex.

But sex doesn't solve everything, and this couple "used to" be known for their great communication style, so I wonder how they are going to get to a place where they are both happy where they are and how they are progressing.

I think the writers will use this break to change Sheldon even more. The way their relationship was moving in turtle speed maybe was not helping the story flow. I don't know, but as fans we were so in love with the Shamy that we may have let a few hints of how Amy was not satisfied pass. Thinking back, now I can see many reasons for that. And Amy is really patient, but seasons 7 and 8 showed her exploding from time to time, and maybe that was the only way she could express herself, saying "stop, I need time for myself to think". And she was very gentle with him, because she loves him so much and doesn't want to hurt his feelings.

• Like 1

I think the thing that urks me is, if Sheldon had a ring that meant he had intent to move the relationship forward right? So why exactly did they need Amy to have "breathing space" to propel him forward? It doesn't add up to anything more than a ratings stunt, IMO.

I think the thing that urks me is, if Sheldon had a ring that meant he had intent to move the relationship forward right? So why exactly did they need Amy to have "breathing space" to propel him forward? It doesn't add up to anything more than a ratings stunt, IMO.

I understood that they wanted to show us they were not in the same place in their relationship.

Even though Sheldon has a ring, Amy doesn't know about it, so in her mind they are going ridiculously slow, and for Sheldon they are like "how faster can we go?"

• Like 2

I hope there will be more of us going spoiler free. “Not knowing is part of the fun!” I still know absolutely nothing about any of season 9, so I’m glad to see there’s some discussion in here!  

Ok, how about this for discussion.  Why do you think, if they were going to break Shamy up at the end of Season 8, that they wouldn't put more glimpses of problems in their relationship throughout the season?  They never addressed Sheldon taking off on the train at all, so that opportunity was gone.  There was the Mars one, but other than that, the couple seemed to be growing much closer and happier.  They'd give hints about fun stuff they did offscreen also.  The fort was so cute, and it looked like things were going well for them.  I loved it, those cute Shamy moments just made me aaawwwh....

The break up seemed abrupt to me.  But a lot of last season was a little strange to me.

There were a lot of great Shamy scenes in season 8, but there were also a lot of tough moments for Amy if you think back on it. It’s just that the story very rarely focuses on Amy. Sheldon is the main character and she is supporting, so it is always much more Sheldon’s story that gets told. And I think that that has a lot to do with how we, the audience, perceive things. We think things were great because Sheldon seemed so happy. 

Even in that last episode, when it looked like we might finally get to focus in on Amy’s concerns and sympathize with her position, the story very quickly shifted everyone’s sympathies back to Sheldon when he pulled out that ring. 

If they are broken up for some of this season, it might ultimately be for the best. I want them to end up together, of course, but there has always been this somewhat uncomfortable feeling that Amy is the one who loves more. For years now, we’ve seen her want to build a life with Sheldon while he is often quite apathetic about the whole thing. It’s been played for laughs, but at this point spending some time to balance that out seems like a good idea to me.

My hope for this season is that Sheldon will get a chance to decide what he wants and values in this relationship instead of just being dragged through it by Amy. In accordance with this hope, I really want to see Amy get a chance to be chosen and wanted in return.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really loved the first episode! I really enjoyed watching it this way, even though I had already read some of the spoliers for this episode, I've been away from further information and the discussions and especulations, so I had almost forgot the things I read by the time I watched it yesterday. I laughed a lot, and it was kind of sad to see a lot of people who didn't find the episode funny at all in the episode thread.

Seeing Sheldon like that broke my heart, I didn't expect him to be so upset. When he said he was glad they were going out again and Amy cut him out I felt so bad for him, I believe he really meant that, and it was even worse to see him outside of the window feeling left aside from the group. But the best part of the Shamy was when he cluelessly said that line about her eggs having an expiring date, and then he asked someone to take him home. It sounded so much like the last episode of Season 7, when he was so lost and needing to be alone. 

At least there's no way Amy will have anything with Stuart, she clearly stated that it was wrong and I'm glad the writers didn't choose that path.

What about you guys who already watched it, any thoughts?

• Like 1

Sheldon really broke my heart in this one. Jim's acting is just really supurb. I currently am feeling more like Sheldon. I'm angry at Amy and feel like lashing out. :p I keep wanting to shove the ring in her face and go "DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU MESSED UP!?" :rtfm:

• Like 6

I saw it! I just haven’t had a chance to post my thoughts until now.

I'm enjoying watching spoiler free, but this definitely wasn’t the funniest BBT ep ever. This show is usually consistently light-hearted, and having the two main couples fighting/breaking up really didn’t match what is typical from the show. I haven’t read anything outside of this thread, but it wouldn’t surprise me if people didn’t like it.

Having said that, I think they did a decent job of injecting humor into the situation, and I still hold hope that the breakup for Sheldon and Amy will turn out for the best.

I agree that Sheldon did seem quite devastated. He was focused obsessively on Amy and their relationship, even though he expressed himself immaturely. The eggs comment was really not kind. Given Amy’s age, it is probably a real concern of hers. 

The Stuart interaction was pretty funny, but I was glad to see her shut that down too. I don’t particularly want to watch Amy or Sheldon date other people.

I hope that the breakup doesn’t drag on for too long. It already seems at least a little silly. It’s one of those things that annoys me in storytelling - the trope of characters having a misunderstanding but only because they just don’t have simple conversations to relay important information. The viewers know that Sheldon is considering marriage, and that the two of them really aren’t that far apart in what they want, so the lack of communication feels a bit contrived.

Even though Sheldon admits to loving her, he often acts like he finds their relationship to be a burden that he doesn’t want. Even in this episode, he tells Leonard that Amy made him say he loved her, which we know is not true. The little history we have of Amy shows a life where her peers regularly didn’t want her, so I think this is a really big deal for her, and I think it is at the heart of her reasoning for breaking up with him. I’m not talking about coitus here either. I’m referring to him wanting their relationship in general. It must be pretty painful for her to have found someone who claims to love her, but who still behaves like he doesn't want her a lot of the time. 

We know about the ring, but Amy doesn't. If she believes that Sheldon doesn’t particularly want or value their relationship, then she is right to let him go. If she thinks that he does want the relationship but can’t admit it to himself, then she is still right to initiate a break. It’s the only way that she can let him realize for himself what he wants. 

Anyway, watching characters feeling miserable or sniping at each other doesn’t make the greatest viewing experience, especially for a comedy. Sheldon and Amy, in particular, just seem much more funny when they are in sync with each other while struggling with the rest of the world instead. I’m finding the story interesting but not as funny as I’d prefer, so I hope they don’t dwell on all of this for too long.

• Like 6

Sheldon really broke my heart in this one. Jim's acting is just really supurb. I currently am feeling more like Sheldon. I'm angry at Amy and feel like lashing out. :p I keep wanting to shove the ring in her face and go "DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU MESSED UP!?" :rtfm:

And then they can emotionally embrace like this :cry:

Y10d9at.gif

Oh by the way, hey Rae :hi: After much deliberation, I've decided to join y'all on the blue forum!

• Like 2

1.  No Lenny wedding planning - seemed odd.  Why not?  So many funny episodes could have been written about this.

2.  Did they have a storyline planned for Howard, Bernadette and Raj?  They went with dealing with Howard's mother's death, but that was a bit of a unplanned event, so what was their original plan for them?

3.  Shamy was getting super sweet, and getting more affectionate with each other.  If they'd have shown more trouble brewing in their relationship building throughout the season, this would have been more believable.

Was this for ratings, or do you think this is their way of throwing a major wrench in their relationship to change their dynamic?

Steve has admitted recently in interviews that they have no plan... At all

The know what they want to do an episode or three out but that's it, they make it up as they go along. Which also explains the inconsistent charectors and lack of continuity

• Like 2

Steve has admitted recently in interviews that they have no plan... At all

The know what they want to do an episode or three out but that's it, they make it up as they go along. Which also explains the inconsistent charectors and lack of continuity

Well that's a bit worrying....but makes sense.  Lol...it's consistent with how I write!  ha ha..