[Spoiler Free] Shamy: Season 9

I can’t speak for the others, but I thought 9.09 was great. Sheldon and Amy still seemed hurt to me, but it was sweet to see that their desire for one another’s company greatly eclipsed the hurt.

Becoming friends again was the next logical step in a story like this. It also set up the key question: Is friendship enough for Sheldon? 

It has been my running theory that the whole purpose of this breakup is to show us that Sheldon is just as interested in this relationship as Amy is, including the romantic and physical aspects. As such, I think that once Sheldon discovers that friendship alone is not enough, then the breakup should end.

The timeline for that kind of resolution is an entirely different matter. This show moves slowly and Sheldon even slower still. It’s possible that they might stall the story at friendship for some time.  

However, I do think they’ll be together by the end of the season, and I think an engagement is likely. Living together seems unlikely to me, but only because the showrunners always seem so set on the original roommate setup on this show.

I’d love for Amy to interact with Mary. At comic con, Molaro said that we’d be meeting another character. That hasn’t happened yet, and it’s another thing I’m hoping to see this season.

It's fun to speculate, and I have guesses about the next few episodes, but I’d feel weird posting them since most people already know what’s going to happen. 

• Like 4

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG! DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN?! WHAT DID I JUST WATCH?

Must rewatch. Will compose sentences tomorrow. 

I figured we’d get some kind of Shamy scene to reinforce that they were back together, but that was sooo unexpected. Holy moly. I’m glad you guys warned about spoilers being around a lot because

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rule 34 said:

I can’t speak for the others, but I thought 9.09 was great. Sheldon and Amy still seemed hurt to me, but it was sweet to see that their desire for one another’s company greatly eclipsed the hurt.

Becoming friends again was the next logical step in a story like this. It also set up the key question: Is friendship enough for Sheldon? 

It has been my running theory that the whole purpose of this breakup is to show us that Sheldon is just as interested in this relationship as Amy is, including the romantic and physical aspects. As such, I think that once Sheldon discovers that friendship alone is not enough, then the breakup should end.

The timeline for that kind of resolution is an entirely different matter. This show moves slowly and Sheldon even slower still. It’s possible that they might stall the story at friendship for some time.  

However, I do think they’ll be together by the end of the season, and I think an engagement is likely. Living together seems unlikely to me, but only because the showrunners always seem so set on the original roommate setup on this show.

I’d love for Amy to interact with Mary. At comic con, Molaro said that we’d be meeting another character. That hasn’t happened yet, and it’s another thing I’m hoping to see this season.

It's fun to speculate, and I have guesses about the next few episodes, but I’d feel weird posting them since most people already know what’s going to happen. 

Good point on the living situation.  As for speculation, go ahead.  That's what this thread is for.  People in the spoiler threads do it all the time; we just find out what happens a few weeks before you do.

I think the angst between them has gone on long enough.  The writers need to get Shamy at a place of peace, either as a couple or as friends first.  This unsettled stuff is for the birds.

• Like 1

I agree about the angst needing to come to an end. I really hope that we are through most of that now.

As for speculation, it feels very different to make guesses when everyone already knows how wrong you are :)

But hey, why not?

There’s a Christmas episode pretty much every year. Sometimes, such episodes like to touch on themes that are found in classic Christmas books and movies. Last year, for example, reminded me a lot of the Grinch. Some of Sheldon’s dialog and mannerisms, along with his ridiculous plan to ruin Christmas forever, finally ending with his heart growing three sizes as he tried Amy’s Christmas cookies, all paralleled that story quite a bit. Other typical Christmas themes involve characters who learn to prioritize people in their lives, like Scrooge, or characters who learn to appreciate their life and see it in a new way, like the guy in ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’. 

Anyway, this year Sheldon’s been learning to sort out some important aspects of his life. I think it’s possible that a Christmas episode might be one where he would be able to assess what he wants out of his relationship with Amy, and to learn to value her in a way that he didn’t before. It would fit, thematically speaking.

Having written that out, I’m not sure it makes any sense at all. It makes sense in my head. I suppose it’s also more of what I would like to see than what is likely, because two episodes from now is too soon to see any big changes. Whatever does happen, I hope that the last two episodes this year leave the characters in a happier place than the rather sad ending of the Thanksgiving ep.

• Like 6

I hadn't thought about the holiday episodes being similar to classic stories, but you're right.  The year before last when Sheldon was in TX for the birth of his nephew was a lot like "It's a Wonderful Life."  

I think the whole break-up has caused him to reconsider what she means to him, and as of the Thanksgiving episode, she's reconsidering what he means to her.  Now she wants him back, but he's going to have to get over his fear of being hurt again before he's ready.

• Like 2

I don't spend a lot of time in here because I am trying to avoid BBT stuff. It is difficult when you have 3 weeks in between new episodes. With so many people spoiled, I find it is easiest to forget about the show during that time. I happened to look at this thread this morning. I really want to see a Christmas episode because I love them. The Cooper Extraction is my all time favorite episode and I really enjoyed the one last year. 

Rule 34, I love when you talk about Sheldon realizing he wants to be more than friends with Amy. I can't see them ending this breakup in any other way than that. I am so excited to see how him wanting to be more than friends with her will be portrayed. As far as predictions go, I like your prediction for the holiday episodes mostly being based off of classic stories. I would love to see one like A Christmas Carol, where Sheldon would realize that he is the happiest when he and Amy are in romantic relationships. And of course now I have myself all excited about the possibility of Sheldon traveling to Christmas future and what he could see there. 

Anyways this was fun speculation. And just as a reminder.  tumblr_n9ba4lTpd91thxvyyo1_500.gif

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dana1010 said:

I don't spend a lot of time in here because I am trying to avoid BBT stuff. It is difficult when you have 3 weeks in between new episodes. With so many people spoiled, I find it is easiest to forget about the show during that time. I happened to look at this thread this morning. I really want to see a Christmas episode because I love them. The Cooper Extraction is my all time favorite episode and I really enjoyed the one last year. 

Rule 34, I love when you talk about Sheldon realizing he wants to be more than friends with Amy. I can't see them ending this breakup in any other way than that. I am so excited to see how him wanting to be more than friends with her will be portrayed. As far as predictions go, I like your prediction for the holiday episodes mostly being based off of classic stories. I would love to see one like A Christmas Carol, where Sheldon would realize that he is the happiest when he and Amy are in romantic relationships. And of course now I have myself all excited about the possibility of Sheldon traveling to Christmas future and what he could see there

I actually posted this same idea on Spoilers thread some time ago! I think that could make the sweetest Christmas episode ever. I really want to see this!

I'm all spoiled but I still lurk this thread from time to time. I don't usually write anything, because I'm afraid I'll accidentally give something away. Anyway I enjoy reading your speculations! 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2015, 7:49:12, tmp said:

I hadn't thought about the holiday episodes being similar to classic stories, but you're right.  The year before last when Sheldon was in TX for the birth of his nephew was a lot like "It's a Wonderful Life."  

Yes! "The Cooper Extraction" is another great example.

23 hours ago, dana1010 said:

Rule 34, I love when you talk about Sheldon realizing he wants to be more than friends with Amy. I can't see them ending this breakup in any other way than that. I am so excited to see how him wanting to be more than friends with her will be portrayed. As far as predictions go, I like your prediction for the holiday episodes mostly being based off of classic stories. I would love to see one like A Christmas Carol, where Sheldon would realize that he is the happiest when he and Amy are in romantic relationships. And of course now I have myself all excited about the possibility of Sheldon traveling to Christmas future and what he could see there. 

I don't spend a lot of time here either. Earlier in the season I used to read some of the cast and crew threads or the fanfic threads. Unfortunately, it was almost impossible not to get spoiled, even if it was just little hints of things. Now I only stop by to check on this thread occasionally. I find that I prefer to avoid promo pics, ads, and even those little two line summaries. That means a lot of avoidance of BBT online.

Your "A Christmas Carol" idea is the kind of thing I'm talking about, definitely! Anything like that would be great. 

But really, even if they take the easy path and just stall Shamy as friends for a while, I'll still be happy with that. Their friendship is the cornerstone of that relationship. I think the pairing will still be appealing even if we have to wait a bit for the romantic aspects to come around. 

And bluebird, it's neat to hear that you speculated similar things back in the spoiler thread. It's nice when spoiled fans stop in this thread. Though I can certainly understand how it would be difficult to post here without giving anything away.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rule 34 said:

And bluebird, it's neat to hear that you speculated similar things back in the spoiler thread. It's nice when spoiled fans stop in this thread. Though I can certainly understand how it would be difficult to post here without giving anything away.

I'm not worried about giving anything away because I'm so stealthy.  :ninja:  I frequently watch mysteries before my husband does and I remain cool as a cucumber while he speculates on whodunit.  

It's actually a breath of fresh air over here because the spoilers thread always ends up being pretty risque; lots of discussion of JP's buttocks, whether Sheldon was aroused when he gave Amy a bath...that sort of thing.  I don't judge them for it and I've been known to get risque at times; it just doesn't interest me so much.

Now you guys have got me in the mood to watch Cooper Extraction.  Hope it's on the DVR somewhere.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tmp said:

I'm not worried about giving anything away because I'm so stealthy.  :ninja:  I frequently watch mysteries before my husband does and I remain cool as a cucumber while he speculates on whodunit.  

It's actually a breath of fresh air over here because the spoilers thread always ends up being pretty risque; lots of discussion of JP's buttocks, whether Sheldon was aroused when he gave Amy a bath...that sort of thing.  I don't judge them for it and I've been known to get risque at times; it just doesn't interest me so much.

Now you guys have got me in the mood to watch Cooper Extraction.  Hope it's on the DVR somewhere.

I completely agree with the bold in here. And it is always a good idea to watch Cooper Extraction. Big bang at its finest. :)

• Like 2

On 12/5/2015, 12:37:26, tmp said:

100% agree with you haha ! 

I think this thread is a breath of fresh air, unfortunately it's so quiet : (

Cooper Extraction is one of my fav episodes, now i feel i gotta re-watch it again : D

• Like 2

There's a lot of discussion over there that could easily be here.  Plenty of it isn't about spoilers.

Anyway, about this season, the two Shamy bits I've liked the best so far have been when Sheldon got cranky when talking to Adam Nimoy, and when Amy realized she had missed hanging out with Sheldon.  IMO, both were Emmy-worthy performances, and touching because it showed they both wanted to get back together, albeit not at the same time.  I also think in particular when he saw her kissing Dave it shows the doubters who think he just likes her as a friend that he really does feel romantically towards her.  People don't hurt like that from seeing their buddy kiss someone else.

• Like 6

Those were both great moments, tmp. Last episode had my favorite Amy moments of this season too.

I’d been hoping that we’d get a scene where Amy not only misses Sheldon, but admits to herself that her imperfect relationship with him is still what she wants. She wants him back at this point, even with absolutely no expectation that things will be different. It seems like it’s been a while since we’ve seen an Amy that appreciates her quirky, unusual guy. Like that mushroom log gift from late season 8. That gift seems like something she would’ve been thrilled about in years past. Sure, getting a rotting lump of growing fungus might seem like a bummer if she wants pretty flowers, but there was once an Amy who would’ve been able to spot the weird, symbolic beauty of it. It’s a gift that has practical use and lasts versus one that only possesses a fleeting, superficial attractiveness. 

Anyway, the fact that she loved their odd Thanksgiving outing at the aquarium was reminiscent of the Amy that I remember. It gives me hope that she’ll be back to appreciating what she has with Sheldon rather than fixating on what she thinks she’s missing out on.

We’ve had a lot more Sheldon scenes, of course. Every week it seems like we get a clearer picture of how much he values Amy and that his interest in her is definitely romantic. I can see how some people might’ve felt that Sheldon still wasn’t that interested in the romantic aspects during season 8. There was a lot of hesitance in him during that time. He wanted G rated sleepovers and to talk about the Flash while making out. I can see how even Amy might’ve thought that he just wasn’t that into her. This season has remedied that pretty well, imo. It’s obvious that he misses her - and that what he misses is not just friendship.

The Nimoy scene was great for raw emotion. That’s not the kind of outburst we usually see from Sheldon. His scene in the car with Amy last episode had another notable moment: he couldn’t seem to control his impulse to ask her if she’s having coitus with any of her dates. It’s not the kind of topic that they usually let Sheldon focus on. Even the whole conversation leading up to that, with his list of safe topics, in retrospect it looked like he made that whole list up ahead of time just to keep himself from asking her that question. Because as soon as she wants to talk freely, he instantly blurts it out. Twice. That’s not a buddy kind of concern either. I’m glad they let her answer him.

Now we just need to wait for him to get over his fear of trying again. It may take some time, but that's ok with me.

I’m pretty excited for these last two episodes of the year! The biggest appeal to me of the Sheldon and Amy relationship is the friendship and companionship. Sure, I want them to be back together romantically, but in the meantime, I’m thrilled that they’re friends again. They’ve both seemed so lonely this year, even with their other friends around. Those other friendships just aren’t the same. 

• Like 6

On 11/30/2015, 11:56:49, Rule 34 said:

I honestly hope it's Meemaw. Maybe there would be some interesting character developments about Sheldon that BBT critics are raving about. Not specifically growth on Sheldon's part but maybe getting to know him a little bit deeper.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sunnydiamante said:

I honestly hope it's Meemaw. Maybe there would be some interesting character developments about Sheldon that BBT critics are raving about. Not specifically growth on Sheldon's part but maybe getting to know him a little bit deeper.

I would love love love it if we get to see Amy interact with Meemaw. I don't see this happening until after they are back together or maybe even engaged. I can't imagine why or how they would interact while they are broken up. 

I also want to add that another good Shamy moment this season was the scene in the stairwell. Amy's sad looking face when Sheldon says he asked out other girls shows her true feelings. It's one thing to break up with someone, it's another thing to realize that said person has or is trying to move on. 

• Like 2

For the first time, I decided to lurk on the spoiler-free thread, and I must say I love how positive everyone here is.    I am unable to go spoiler-free.   I'm a spoiler junkee, but will definitely be back to read everyone's posts.

I, too, hope we eventually get to meet Sheldon's Meemaw.

• Like 2

Meeting Meemaw someday would be great! I’d also enjoy seeing Amy in a scene with Sheldon’s mom again. It’s been years since we’ve seen that, and Laurie Metcalf is always so funny. The person that I would most like to see introduced, though, would be Amy’s mom. If they ever manage to get to the point of an engagement for Shamy, seeing Sheldon interact with his potential mother-in-law could be very funny. The woman sounds pretty nuts from what we’ve heard of her from Amy.

1 hour ago, jenafan said:

For the first time, I decided to lurk on the spoiler-free thread, and I must say I love how positive everyone here is.    I am unable to go spoiler-free.   I'm a spoiler junkee, but will definitely be back to read everyone's posts.

I, too, hope we eventually get to meet Sheldon's Meemaw.

I’ve enjoyed being spoiler free. I think some of this breakup stuff would have felt a lot harsher in the form of a taping report. For example, Sheldon and Amy dating other people is probably my least favorite kind of storyline, but at it played out, even that was fun to watch. Sheldon closing the door in that seemingly perfect woman’s face was another of my favorite moments of the season.

• Like 4

I really want to know more about Amy's family, especially her father.

And Rule34, you're right.  Things can sound harsh when they're written.  I don't know if you've heard, but some people have gotten so upset that they have directly tweeted the cast, writers, and producers.  Bill Prady called them out, saying he didn't mind if people shared spoilers as long as nobody complains to him about them, and he reminded them that things come across differently on screen than in writing.  There have been problems, too, with spoiler junkies criticizing the writers of taping reports.  It's ridiculous.  

• Like 3

Wow, I had no idea about the tweeting. I didn’t know people were that upset. Hopefully, they will keep in mind that their complaints about fictional characters are being directed at real people. As someone planning to go to a taping next year, I’ll have to think about whether typing out a report is worth the possible aggravation.

I’m not entirely sure what people are hating about this season. The breakup in general, I guess? Maybe at the end of the season I’ll go back and read some of the discussions. I’m curious about what the prevailing opinions are in the other threads.

It probably is a lot different to form opinions from a report instead of from viewing the show. The way the actors perform these scenes really can matter a lot - especially in some of the most emotional moments. Do you spoiler folks find that you feel differently about an episode after you watch it?

• Like 3

@Rule 34 The answer to your last question is.....every damn time!! 

The one taping report that REALLY pissed Bill Prady off is when fans went after him on Twitter about the Shenny kiss, despite the fact it was just Leonard's nightmare and not canon at all because of that.  

To be honest, I wasn't happy about it when I first read it but I found myself laughing out loud as soon as I read it was Leonard's dream....or rather, his nightmare.   And it actually did come out being really funny and soooo out of character for both of them which made it even more funny.  Shenny's of course love it but at least it's not at all canon.  

But because of that episode, Bill didn't tweet the following script cover that we like to guess at and Tripper & Tensor took the taping report thread down.  It's still not back up and we end up having to get the taping report in the discussion thread.

As for doing a taping report yourself, don't worry about it.  Do it only if you want.  Some people have even done it anonymously.  They send Tripper or Tensor a PM and we get it from them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rule 34 said:

Wow, I had no idea about the tweeting. I didn’t know people were that upset. Hopefully, they will keep in mind that their complaints about fictional characters are being directed at real people. As someone planning to go to a taping next year, I’ll have to think about whether typing out a report is worth the possible aggravation.

I’m not entirely sure what people are hating about this season. The breakup in general, I guess? Maybe at the end of the season I’ll go back and read some of the discussions. I’m curious about what the prevailing opinions are in the other threads.

It probably is a lot different to form opinions from a report instead of from viewing the show. The way the actors perform these scenes really can matter a lot - especially in some of the most emotional moments. Do you spoiler folks find that you feel differently about an episode after you watch it?

I agree with Kathy.  When you go to a taping, your primary reason for being there is to have a good time, not to report back.  We'll be OK without spoilers; I'm pretty sure nobody ever died from spoiler deprivation.

Anyway, there has been a lot of speculation that the 200th episode will be Shamy-centric (no worries, it hasn't taped yet so there are no hints in what I'm about to say) but I don't think so.  This season has had so much Shamy, I can't see the writers spending the milestone on them.  I think it'll focus on the whole gang rather than one of the couples.

• Like 2

As someone who has written a taping report before, don't stress yourself out too much about it. Simply write what you want to write if you want to write anything at all. 99.9% of spoiler people are happy to get any information and won't pester you, but the 0.1% can be really annoying. I can understand the appeal for spoilers because in a way you get to experience episodes twice. The first being a taping report and the second when the episode airs. As of now, I will be very upset if the 200th episode isn't Shamy centric. That may change depending on what kind of stuff we get between now and then. :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rule 34 said:

Do you spoiler folks find that you feel differently about an episode after you watch it?

Yes 100%!

I've only read 1 taping report that played out entirely the same onscreen as I thought it would.

All it takes is for one simple line to be missed out and the entire feel of the report changes. It's not the fault of the person writing the report, they can't be expected to remember every tiny detail and they are very much appreciated for sharing the spoilers at all :) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rule 34 said:

Yes, definitely. I love reading the table reports and discussing about them before the actual episode. Sure we'd probably have less freak-outs if we didn't, because a lot of stuff sounds different, especially the "bad" things, in writing. For example Shamy dating others sounded worse than it was eventually played out. Also sometimes a simple line that wasn't in the report can change a lot. 

And like Einstein said, it's not the fault of the people writing the reports. It's impossible to catch every line or facial expression. Also after the editing it might look a little different than live. For example in Spock Resonance they erased the audience reaction when Sheldon says he's going to propose to Amy. People who went to that taping said that the audience was screaming like crazy. The reports are supposed to give us just the main points of the episode and we really appreciate anyone who's willing to write them or share anything with us :) 

Regarding the 200th episode, I think it could be a group plot. 100th episode was about Lenny getting back together, wouldn't it too obvious to make the 200th Shamy-centric? It's not that I don't want it to be though. I guess that depends on what'll happen with Shamy in the future episodes. 

Edited by bluebird
  • Like 1

I totally forgot that the Shenny kiss even happened until you mentioned it Kathy. It was such a quick little joke that I never took it seriously at all. The absurd, over-the-top, out of character nature of it was funny to me. I didn’t find it emotional or sexy or anything. I’d prefer an awkward Shamy kiss any day. That’s probably a good example of how it’s different to see something vs. read about it.

2 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

All it takes is for one simple line to be missed out and the entire feel of the report changes. It's not the fault of the person writing the report, they can't be expected to remember every tiny detail and they are very much appreciated for sharing the spoilers at all :) 

That makes sense. I hadn’t thought of that. I was thinking more of the wordless aspects, like Amy’s scene in the stairwell or the one of her in her car. It seems like it’s really important to see her facial expressions and hear her voice wavering to understand how upset her character is. The dialog alone might give the impression that she doesn’t care.

1 hour ago, bluebird said:

Yes, definitely. I love reading the table reports and discussing about them before the actual episode. Sure we'd probably have less freak-outs if we didn't, because a lot of stuff sounds different, especially the "bad" things, in writing. For example Shamy dating others sounded worse than it was eventually played out. Also sometimes a simple line that wasn't in the report can change a lot. 

Regarding the 200th episode, I think it could be a group plot. 100th episode was about Lenny getting back together, wouldn't it too obvious to make the 200th Shamy-centric? It's not that I don't want it to be though. I guess that depends on what'll happen with Shamy in the future episodes. 

The dating other people episode is the one that made me more strict about being spoiler free. It's the only episode this season where I saw promo pics and the two line summary beforehand, and I got the completely wrong idea about it. Actually watching it, I thought it was great.

You're right. Getting Shamy back together for the 200th episode might be too similar to the 100th episode reconciliation of Leonard and Penny. Group episodes are fantastic, but If Sheldon and Amy are still apart at that point, I’ve got to agree with dana1010, I’ll be disappointed if it isn't a Shamy ep.

• Like 2