Jump to content

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9


Tensor
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 25.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • April

    1081

  • A Shamy gal

    1037

  • jenafan

    1018

  • Amy Fowler

    969

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, rachelshamyfan said:

No shamy chat for two whole days?

 

I'm a bit confused about Shamy. I've just watched the end of 7.24 on E4 and can't help comparing it with 9.01. Sheldon is aware he needs to get away in order to think - so off he goes. When he phones Amy she's as  nice as pie to him and says she's looking forward to talking to him the next day. Then she gets angry at Leonard for letting Sheldon go.

At the end of 8.24 Amy's aware she needs some time out. It's only been a year - no time at all in the Sheldiverse  - since he was sarcastically describing  getting engaged, getting married and starting a family in 7.24 as if it was a fate worse than death and here he we see him a year later, kissing and cuddling with a ring in his top drawer. She makes him aware of her need for a breather.  In 9.01 Sheldon is behaving as though he's never had any experience of wanting time off to think. He won't let her have half as many hours as he had days and she isn't even talking about leaving town. He gets thoroughly unpleasant and nasty. Amy was an angel of tolerance after his 45 days compared with his response to less than a day.

To get from where they were in 7.24/8.01 to where they are now is a big leap, especially considering 8.24/9.01 and the six months apart that followed. I think they're doing relatively well at the moment. Very well for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

When he phones Amy she's as  nice as pie to him and says she's looking forward to talking to him the next day. Then she gets angry at Leonard for letting Sheldon go.

She probably forced herself to sound nonchalant to Sheldon, because she didn't want to sound all desperate and needy to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I'm a bit confused about Shamy. I've just watched the end of 7.24 on E4 and can't help comparing it with 9.01. Sheldon is aware he needs to get away in order to think - so off he goes. When he phones Amy she's as  nice as pie to him and says she's looking forward to talking to him the next day. Then she gets angry at Leonard for letting Sheldon go.

At the end of 8.24 Amy's aware she needs some time out. It's only been a year - no time at all in the Sheldiverse  - since he was sarcastically describing  getting engaged, getting married and starting a family in 7.24 as if it was a fate worse than death and here he we see him a year later, kissing and cuddling with a ring in his top drawer. She makes him aware of her need for a breather.  In 9.01 Sheldon is behaving as though he's never had any experience of wanting time off to think. He won't let her have half as many hours as he had days and she isn't even talking about leaving town. He gets thoroughly unpleasant and nasty. Amy was an angel of tolerance after his 45 days compared with his response to less than a day.

To get from where they were in 7.24/8.01 to where they are now is a big leap, especially considering 8.24/9.01 and the six months apart that followed. I think they're doing relatively well at the moment. Very well for them.

In a way, I think the break up in S. 8 finale is a long term consequence of S. 7 finale. After Sheldon returned home, for a long time Amy was walking on eggshells around him, thinking he still was at flight risk. So their communication was not the best possible and at the end of it Amy had a meltdown over something which was relatively small (if you are in a relationship with Sheldon Lee Cooper...), because she was really full of it. On the other hand, Sheldon made everything worse, not giving her time to think. In any case, I don't think there are many other similarities between the two situations. Sheldon's meltdown was not about his relationship. He thought at that point that living with Amy was a fate worse than death (and maybe still thinks that, giving the current living arrangements...), but he had no doubts about being her boyfriend. He was in a difficult time  in any other part of his life (his work, his living environment, commitment) but not about Amy as his girlfriend. In fact, when he returned, his only problem was to disappoint her for the failure of his adventure. Amy, instead,  had doubts about the relationship as a whole, and that was something Sheldon could not process. That's why he reacted as he did, it was something he couldn't even understand. Plus, his selfish nature had a big role in the whole situation. I don't think he was going to propose in S. 8 finale. The "ring"-story was ambiguous and the writers  have rewritten it a time or two, to increase the drama in a few episodes. The last version of it (in the meemaw episode) is that his mother gave him the ring (not clear if he asked for it, I hope so...) and he was thinking about proposing; apparently, he is still thinking about it...I'll go with it until proven wrong....

Anyway, all's well that ends well...

Edited by mirs1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I'm a bit confused about Shamy. I've just watched the end of 7.24 on E4 and can't help comparing it with 9.01. Sheldon is aware he needs to get away in order to think - so off he goes. When he phones Amy she's as  nice as pie to him and says she's looking forward to talking to him the next day. Then she gets angry at Leonard for letting Sheldon go.

At the end of 8.24 Amy's aware she needs some time out. It's only been a year - no time at all in the Sheldiverse  - since he was sarcastically describing  getting engaged, getting married and starting a family in 7.24 as if it was a fate worse than death and here he we see him a year later, kissing and cuddling with a ring in his top drawer. She makes him aware of her need for a breather.  In 9.01 Sheldon is behaving as though he's never had any experience of wanting time off to think. He won't let her have half as many hours as he had days and she isn't even talking about leaving town. He gets thoroughly unpleasant and nasty. Amy was an angel of tolerance after his 45 days compared with his response to less than a day.

To get from where they were in 7.24/8.01 to where they are now is a big leap, especially considering 8.24/9.01 and the six months apart that followed. I think they're doing relatively well at the moment. Very well for them.

IMO to be a Shamy shipper you have to be willing to roll with confusing inconsistencies in some of their writing and what not. Youre right about the jumping around in attitudes in their relationship. Heck, the 9 episode break up arc practically ends with Amy deciding she wants Sheldon back warts and all, almost suggesting the break up was a colossal waste of time from her perspective. Yet just 12 episodes before the break up we have Amy pointing out and concerned that Sheldon is still a flight risk. 

Its enough to make a head spin sometimes, and it was one of the reasons I got frustrated with the break up arc and still maintain that if it was my story to tell I wouldve avoided the break up in favor of a different way to have Sheldon's revelation fleshed out.

I like where they are at right now and hope for big things in S10, but Im not blind to the fact that the writers can still very easily toy with our favorite couple and those that ship them!

Edited by 2L344

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I'm a bit confused about Shamy. I've just watched the end of 7.24 on E4 and can't help comparing it with 9.01. Sheldon is aware he needs to get away in order to think - so off he goes. When he phones Amy she's as  nice as pie to him and says she's looking forward to talking to him the next day. Then she gets angry at Leonard for letting Sheldon go.

At the end of 8.24 Amy's aware she needs some time out. It's only been a year - no time at all in the Sheldiverse  - since he was sarcastically describing  getting engaged, getting married and starting a family in 7.24 as if it was a fate worse than death and here he we see him a year later, kissing and cuddling with a ring in his top drawer. She makes him aware of her need for a breather.  In 9.01 Sheldon is behaving as though he's never had any experience of wanting time off to think. He won't let her have half as many hours as he had days and she isn't even talking about leaving town. He gets thoroughly unpleasant and nasty. Amy was an angel of tolerance after his 45 days compared with his response to less than a day.

To get from where they were in 7.24/8.01 to where they are now is a big leap, especially considering 8.24/9.01 and the six months apart that followed. I think they're doing relatively well at the moment. Very well for them.

For me, the brake up should have happened in 8.1 after Sheldon's return. I mean he left her for over a month and after she suggested to live together. Instead in season 8 we saw their relationship growing (I love you, sleepover etc), and then from nowhere came the brake up. I was surprised that his train trip wasn't mentioned by Amy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lina78 said:

For me, the brake up should have happened in 8.1 after Sheldon's return. I mean he left her for over a month and after she suggested to live together. Instead in season 8 we saw their relationship growing (I love you, sleepover etc), and then from nowhere came the brake up. I was surprised that his train trip wasn't mentioned by Amy.

Yeah I think a lot of people have made that point that perhaps it would have felt more natural if they had broken up early Season 8 instead of the end of Season 8/early Season 9 as Amy should have rightly been absolutely furious with him and had to question his commitment. But like Mirs1 said I think Amy just perhaps suppressed her anger and her feelings for a bit and the breakup at the end of the season in a large part occurred because of what happened earlier.

The timing is debatable but I think we can all agree the breakup had to happen right? I think both had to explore for a time what it is they wanted from a relationship and deep down if they wanted to commit or not. Their relationship does appear to be stronger and in a much better place right now and maybe that's in large part because of the breakup.

Edited by Jonny83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lina78 said:

For me, the brake up should have happened in 8.1 after Sheldon's return. I mean he left her for over a month and after she suggested to live together. Instead in season 8 we saw their relationship growing (I love you, sleepover etc), and then from nowhere came the brake up. I was surprised that his train trip wasn't mentioned by Amy.

Before I write a longass essay again about why I think the breakup timing works just fine at the beginning of S9 let's just entertain the idea of a breakup at the beginning of S8, just for shits and giggles. And since we don't have anything else to do at the moment anyway, let me use this as a bit of a jumping off point (everybody feel free to join in!):

So then, hypothetical scenario: S8 starts, Amy is mad as hell at Sheldon because he ran away, she breaks up with him and... then what? It would have come at the heels of S6/7 that for many Shamy fans had a lot of, let's say, underwhelming developments. This is a time when they barely started kissing regularly, this is after Sheldon mocked the idea of a future together and they didn't have Mars yet, they neither said ILY to each other nor had the cute sleepover in Fort Cozy McBlanket. So while all of that surely makes it believable that Amy would break up with him the more important question for me is here: Why would anyone want them back together at that point?

If you want to do a breakup arc like this you need the audience to root for the two of them to get back together or else this all falls flat. But why would anyone want Amy to go back to Sheldon when at that point there's been little indication about how invested he is in this relationship. Even in early S8 he was still compartmentalising it as "non romantic" and proud of the fact that it was all neatly tied up in contractual regulations. And there were plenty of times when his behaviour towards her was less than stellar prior to S8. If that's all Amy and by extension we as the audience knew of his investment why would you root for them to get back together when they've seemingly diverged so far in what they want that a relationship makes little sense anymore?

And with that in mind how would you sell the idea of them wanting to be back together? And keep in mind that this would have still been written by the same people who gave us 9x09/9x10 so for all that some here are complaining that Amy's and Sheldon's respective realisations of wanting the other back were a bunch of hackneyed clichés the writing for a hypothetical S8 breakup would be much of the same, let's be real - except it would possibly be even more jarring because Amy wants him back without even knowing that he loves her? Or without having ever talked about their future together in a positive way (Mars)? Or without knowing that Sheldon will push the RA aside to spend more time with her (Fort)? And then you'd have Sheldon realise in a fanficy scenario that he wants it all with Amy, even the romance, and their first ILYs would be when he sweeps in to get her back while she's on a date?

Anyway, my point is that I personally would have had a terrible hard time rooting for these two if it weren't for S8 showing us glimpses of a working romantic Shamy after the years of transitioning from their relationship of the minds had been so difficult in some regards. I needed to have a bit of payoff in advance or else I would have rooted for Amy to find someone better and for Sheldon to stay single if a relationship was such a burden to him.

I do think they're in a good place now so I'm rather happy how this all turned out in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, mirs1 said:

In a way, I think the break up in S. 8 finale is a long term consequence of S. 7 finale. After Sheldon returned home, for a long time Amy was walking on eggshells around him, thinking he still was at flight risk. So their communication was not the best possible and at the end of it Amy had a meltdown over something which was relatively small (if you are in a relationship with Sheldon Lee Cooper...), because she was really full of it. On the other hand, Sheldon made everything worse, not giving her time to think. In any case, I don't think there are many other similarities between the two situations. Sheldon's meltdown was not about his relationship. He thought at that point that living with Amy was a fate worse than death (and maybe still thinks that, giving the current living arrangements...), but he had no doubts about being her boyfriend. He was in a difficult time  in any other part of his life (his work, his living environment, commitment) but not about Amy as his girlfriend. In fact, when he returned, his only problem was to disappoint her for the failure of his adventure. Amy, instead,  had doubts about the relationship as a whole, and that was something Sheldon could not process. That's why he reacted as he did, it was something he couldn't even understand. Plus, his selfish nature had a big role in the whole situation. I don't think he was going to propose in S. 8 finale. The "ring"-story was ambiguous and the writers  have rewritten it a time or two, to increase the drama in a few episodes. The last version of it (in the meemaw episode) is that his mother gave him the ring (not clear if he asked for it, I hope so...) and he was thinking about proposing; apparently, he is still thinking about it...I'll go with it until proven wrong....

Anyway, all's well that ends well...

Oh ! I  understand it a lot better now. Bold  - I hadn't seen that at all. It makes some sense to me at last.Thanks, Mirs

6 hours ago, 2L344 said:

IMO to be a Shamy shipper you have to be willing to roll with confusing inconsistencies in some of their writing and what not. Youre right about the jumping around in attitudes in their relationship. Heck, the 9 episode break up arc practically ends with Amy deciding she wants Sheldon back warts and all, almost suggesting the break up was a colossal waste of time from her perspective. Yet just 12 episodes before the break up we have Amy pointing out and concerned that Sheldon is still a flight risk. 

Its enough to make a head spin sometimes, and it was one of the reasons I got frustrated with the break up arc and still maintain that if it was my story to tell I wouldve avoided the break up in favor of a different way to have Sheldon's revelation fleshed out.

I like where they are at right now and hope for big things in S10, but Im not blind to the fact that the writers can still very easily toy with our favorite couple and those that ship them!

Thanks,2L344. Sometimes I wonder if my confusion is a generational thing, a transatlantic translation loss, or a poor grasp of subculture comedy. I'm glad to know it's at least in part the writers' fault. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, April said:

Before I write a longass essay again about why I think the breakup timing works just fine at the beginning of S9 let's just entertain the idea of a breakup at the beginning of S8, just for shits and giggles. And since we don't have anything else to do at the moment anyway, let me use this as a bit of a jumping off point (everybody feel free to join in!):

So then, hypothetical scenario: S8 starts, Amy is mad as hell at Sheldon because he ran away, she breaks up with him and... then what? It would have come at the heels of S6/7 that for many Shamy fans had a lot of, let's say, underwhelming developments. This is a time when they barely started kissing regularly, this is after Sheldon mocked the idea of a future together and they didn't have Mars yet, they neither said ILY to each other nor had the cute sleepover in Fort Cozy McBlanket. So while all of that surely makes it believable that Amy would break up with him the more important question for me is here: Why would anyone want them back together at that point?

If you want to do a breakup arc like this you need the audience to root for the two of them to get back together or else this all falls flat. But why would anyone want Amy to go back to Sheldon when at that point there's been little indication about how invested he is in this relationship. Even in early S8 he was still compartmentalising it as "non romantic" and proud of the fact that it was all neatly tied up in contractual regulations. And there were plenty of times when his behaviour towards her was less than stellar prior to S8. If that's all Amy and by extension we as the audience knew of his investment why would you root for them to get back together when they've seemingly diverged so far in what they want that a relationship makes little sense anymore?

And with that in mind how would you sell the idea of them wanting to be back together? And keep in mind that this would have still been written by the same people who gave us 9x09/9x10 so for all that some here are complaining that Amy's and Sheldon's respective realisations of wanting the other back were a bunch of hackneyed clichés the writing for a hypothetical S8 breakup would be much of the same, let's be real - except it would possibly be even more jarring because Amy wants him back without even knowing that he loves her? Or without having ever talked about their future together in a positive way (Mars)? Or without knowing that Sheldon will push the RA aside to spend more time with her (Fort)? And then you'd have Sheldon realise in a fanficy scenario that he wants it all with Amy, even the romance, and their first ILYs would be when he sweeps in to get her back while she's on a date?

Anyway, my point is that I personally would have had a terrible hard time rooting for these two if it weren't for S8 showing us glimpses of a working romantic Shamy after the years of transitioning from their relationship of the minds had been so difficult in some regards. I needed to have a bit of payoff in advance or else I would have rooted for Amy to find someone better and for Sheldon to stay single if a relationship was such a burden to him.

I do think they're in a good place now so I'm rather happy how this all turned out in the end.

Hi. I agree with you that we have nothing else to do at the moment. Big Bang Theory and Eurovision Song Contest are both over :icon_razz: so...

For me again it should happen in 8.1 or 8.2. I'm sure the writers would have handled it the same. It would be nice to tell her something like "you can't break up with me. I love you" or something like that ( obviously I would be the worst writer ever). 

Even if it happened in early season 8 we would route for them to be together because we love them together. We loved them and routed them from season 4 and they were not even a couple yet.

By the way does anyone knows when the production of season 10 begins? Late July or August?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, summer hiatus started early on the thread! I think it's fair to take stock of where we are at though, now that S9 is done and wrapped up. So let's do this, I'll play!

I agree with April, Jonny83, joyceraye and others when I say I'm happy for the most part with where Shamy is at at the end of the season. S9 brought a lot to the table--a long break up arc, reconciliation, SEX, and an improved communication between the couple even though they regress a bit towards the end of the season (though it appears it was dealt with swiftly). I'm looking forward to the next season!

As far as the break up convo--

While I agree that from an Amy viewpoint (the Amy that reacts rather than thinks), a break up in 8x1 would have been more natural since there were enough reasons to validate it, but I tend to agree with April that, had that happened, it would've made it hard to root for a reconciliation. But this is fiction and the writers could have written it in a way that had them back together easily if they wanted. Amy leaving Sheldon in 8x1 could have been a "trigger" that flipped a light switch on for him, and he realized how he missed having her in his life, etc etc.

I have to disagree with jonny83 about the break up being necessary however. I've never been a fan of it, especially how long it was, and I think the same thing accomplished by it could've been written in a different scenario that didn't involve the two separating for so long. I didn't care for Amy's return to the relationship "status quo", and I didn't care for her fleeing to Dave right after 9x9. Maybe Amy needed the separation/break up to sort out her feelings, and I would be fine with that as long as she knows what she is getting in the long run when she goes back to him. But can we all say even after the end of S9 that Amy is happy, satisfied, and fulfilled with status quo even after sex? I think there's still some doubt with some of us fans, and I do understand fan nervousness when we sometimes see "frustrated Amy" peeking out now and then. And the writing at times jumps around enough to plant some doubt now and then.

For me the break up came out of left field when it did (that's just me, others may agree and others may feel they saw it coming and I respect that). In my mind the writers were gearing up for a Sheldon who "gets it" and realizes Amy's importance, and this without the help of a break up. As early as 6x7 we have an intoxicated and concerned Sheldon telling bartender Penny that Amy was Saint & Squirrel, deserved better, and would probably leave him (some might argue that Sheldon saw 8x24 coming, but I argue that he is beginning to see Amy as something more to him than a friend). 6x16 has Sheldon adding Amy to his emergency contact form, giving that to Amy as a VDay present. 7x9 has intoxicated Sheldon smacking some Amy booty on Thanksgiving and telling everyone how great she is. We get the train kiss in 7x15 on VDay, a BIG deal. Proton dies in 7x22 and we get Sheldon coping with that, and his subconscious telling him to appreciate the people in his life. To me that's a big deal too, and though I'm sure some of that was meant for the group as a whole I have to believe that Amy was certainly a focus of that soul searching too. 

Then we get to S8--8x3 has Sheldon bragging to Lenny about how perfect the relationship with Amy is (though it does end with Amy wishing Sheldon would speak to her like Leonard does to Penny, I think Sheldon's mindset is important to note). 8x8 gave us Prom and exchanges of ILY (wow!), 8x11 gives us the Christmas gift to Amy (yeah I know, his motivation to get one was horrible, but he could've come up with some evil plan for revenge that didn't involve a sweet gift too right?) and Sheldon sharing with Bernie the things he loves about Amy. 8x18 was Mars colonization where Sheldon, after given a reality check by Amy, desires Amy to join him on Mars if that far fetched idea ever became reality. and finally, 8x20 was Fortification and Sheldon breaking the rules of his cherished RA in order to hang out with Amy in a tent.

These are some (okay a lot!) of the reasons why I thought a plot leading to Sheldon realizing Amy's place in his heart was developing naturally. And to me it looked like Amy was finally getting what she wanted and that at some point early in S9 things would get serious for them (not break up serious).

The reality is I'm not a writer, it's not my story to tell, and as a fan I can choose to enjoy the journey that the writers lay out, or not. I choose to continue watching and for the most part enjoying what they bring. Would I have done things differently? Yup. Can I enjoy what has unfolded instead? You bet, now that the break up was resolved (I wonder where we would all be right now if Dave and Amy were a couple, with Sheldon pining away because he missed the boat?). I do hope that our writers give us a little more in S10 regarding Shamy affection than what they gave us since 9.11...I know a lot of us expressed that sentiment, and I think it's fair. It's great they communicate better and understand one another more these days--but cmon, we go from a heated doorway marathon kiss, to sex, to nothing at all physically the rest of the season?? No smooch, hand holding, hug, compliment, nothing...how does that Happen?! I'll continue being patient but I think the idea that sex was just a performance to appease Amy's loins on her birthday is lame, if that is indeed what the writers are giving us (thanks for making it clear as mud writers lol). I for one believe Sheldon desires Amy physically, so please writers, show us that this is indeed the case. 

Here's to a great season 10!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2L344 said:

Lol, summer hiatus started early on the thread! I think it's fair to take stock of where we are at though, now that S9 is done and wrapped up. So let's do this, I'll play!

I agree with April, Jonny83, joyceraye and others when I say I'm happy for the most part with where Shamy is at at the end of the season. S9 brought a lot to the table--a long break up arc, reconciliation, SEX, and an improved communication between the couple even though they regress a bit towards the end of the season (though it appears it was dealt with swiftly). I'm looking forward to the next season!

As far as the break up convo--

While I agree that from an Amy viewpoint (the Amy that reacts rather than thinks), a break up in 8x1 would have been more natural since there were enough reasons to validate it, but I tend to agree with April that, had that happened, it would've made it hard to root for a reconciliation. But this is fiction and the writers could have written it in a way that had them back together easily if they wanted. Amy leaving Sheldon in 8x1 could have been a "trigger" that flipped a light switch on for him, and he realized how he missed having her in his life, etc etc.

I have to disagree with jonny83 about the break up being necessary however. I've never been a fan of it, especially how long it was, and I think the same thing accomplished by it could've been written in a different scenario that didn't involve the two separating for so long. I didn't care for Amy's return to the relationship "status quo", and I didn't care for her fleeing to Dave right after 9x9. Maybe Amy needed the separation/break up to sort out her feelings, and I would be fine with that as long as she knows what she is getting in the long run when she goes back to him. But can we all say even after the end of S9 that Amy is happy, satisfied, and fulfilled with status quo even after sex? I think there's still some doubt with some of us fans, and I do understand fan nervousness when we sometimes see "frustrated Amy" peeking out now and then. And the writing at times jumps around enough to plant some doubt now and then.

For me the break up came out of left field when it did (that's just me, others may agree and others may feel they saw it coming and I respect that). In my mind the writers were gearing up for a Sheldon who "gets it" and realizes Amy's importance, and this without the help of a break up. As early as 6x7 we have an intoxicated and concerned Sheldon telling bartender Penny that Amy was Saint & Squirrel, deserved better, and would probably leave him (some might argue that Sheldon saw 8x24 coming, but I argue that he is beginning to see Amy as something more to him than a friend). 6x16 has Sheldon adding Amy to his emergency contact form, giving that to Amy as a VDay present. 7x9 has intoxicated Sheldon smacking some Amy booty on Thanksgiving and telling everyone how great she is. We get the train kiss in 7x15 on VDay, a BIG deal. Proton dies in 7x22 and we get Sheldon coping with that, and his subconscious telling him to appreciate the people in his life. To me that's a big deal too, and though I'm sure some of that was meant for the group as a whole I have to believe that Amy was certainly a focus of that soul searching too. 

Then we get to S8--8x3 has Sheldon bragging to Lenny about how perfect the relationship with Amy is (though it does end with Amy wishing Sheldon would speak to her like Leonard does to Penny, I think Sheldon's mindset is important to note). 8x8 gave us Prom and exchanges of ILY (wow!), 8x11 gives us the Christmas gift to Amy (yeah I know, his motivation to get one was horrible, but he could've come up with some evil plan for revenge that didn't involve a sweet gift too right?) and Sheldon sharing with Bernie the things he loves about Amy. 8x18 was Mars colonization where Sheldon, after given a reality check by Amy, desires Amy to join him on Mars if that far fetched idea ever became reality. and finally, 8x20 was Fortification and Sheldon breaking the rules of his cherished RA in order to hang out with Amy in a tent.

These are some (okay a lot!) of the reasons why I thought a plot leading to Sheldon realizing Amy's place in his heart was developing naturally. And to me it looked like Amy was finally getting what she wanted and that at some point early in S9 things would get serious for them (not break up serious).

The reality is I'm not a writer, it's not my story to tell, and as a fan I can choose to enjoy the journey that the writers lay out, or not. I choose to continue watching and for the most part enjoying what they bring. Would I have done things differently? Yup. Can I enjoy what has unfolded instead? You bet, now that the break up was resolved (I wonder where we would all be right now if Dave and Amy were a couple, with Sheldon pining away because he missed the boat?). I do hope that our writers give us a little more in S10 regarding Shamy affection than what they gave us since 9.11...I know a lot of us expressed that sentiment, and I think it's fair. It's great they communicate better and understand one another more these days--but cmon, we go from a heated doorway marathon kiss, to sex, to nothing at all physically the rest of the season?? No smooch, hand holding, hug, compliment, nothing...how does that Happen?! I'll continue being patient but I think the idea that sex was just a performance to appease Amy's loins on her birthday is lame, if that is indeed what the writers are giving us (thanks for making it clear as mud writers lol). I for one believe Sheldon desires Amy physically, so please writers, show us that this is indeed the case. 

Here's to a great season 10!

Big Bear is the new episode being shown in the UK tonight and I am looking forward to it :icon_biggrin:

I didn't see the breakup coming really either, not after some pretty positive moments between them in earlier episodes. For Amy to snap like she did at the end of Season 8 over something pretty small she must have been thinking for a while deep down that maybe she wanted a break or time out from the relationship. That must have been some serious soul searching off-screen and we know that she spoke to Penny as when Penny got back from Vegas she said she knew the breakup might be on the cards which pissed Sheldon off.

Agree that it perhaps went on for far too long, and some of the behaviour by both of them was not ideal but then it was always likely to be a messy breakup.

If we continue to get progress between them in Season 10 then the breakup probably did help their relationship, however if we see their relationship stagnating again and we see some of those problems rear their ugly head again then there could be trouble ahead again. I'm optimistic though, I think the writers will do right by them.

Edited by Jonny83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to Shamy sleeping together so soon after their reconciliation, I also thought it was a bit soon, but I thought the story line was very well done.  Yes, coitus was Sheldon's gift to Amy.  If he was only doing it to appease her, he could have backed out after she admitted she was nervous.  It would have been the perfect excuse not to do it, but instead he seemed genuinely concerned and comforting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please vote for Shamy !!!! They have 119 votes so far, in this best couples of all time poll ! They are on the 1st page and Shamy is among the more popular couples in this poll , so it would be great if you can boost their votes even more ! I would love to see Shamy ahead of Chuck/Blair from Gossip Girl LOL.

http://thebestpoll.com/the-best-tv-couples-of-all-time/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jonny83 said:

Big Bear is the new episode being shown in the UK tonight and I am looking forward to it :icon_biggrin:

I didn't see the breakup coming really either, not after some pretty positive moments between them in earlier episodes. For Amy to snap like she did at the end of Season 8 over something pretty small she must have been thinking for a while deep down that maybe she wanted a break or time out from the relationship. That must have been some serious soul searching off-screen and we know that she spoke to Penny as when Penny got back from Vegas she said she knew the breakup might be on the cards which pissed Sheldon off.

Agree that it perhaps went on for far too long, and some of the behaviour by both of them was not ideal but then it was always likely to be a messy breakup.

If we continue to get progress between them in Season 10 then the breakup probably did help their relationship, however if we see their relationship stagnating again and we see some of those problems rear their ugly head again then there could be trouble ahead again. I'm optimistic though, I think the writers will do right by them.

Yeah I agree with the last part. By the time 9x10 rolled around I wouldve bought almost any contrived plot that had Shamy reconciling, I was that done with that arc. Maybe Amy off screen DID do some soul searching, but if thats the case then it negates the theory that a lot of us had--that Amy had one of her patented "explosions" and later regretted it. I would not like the idea that Amy had been thinking about a break all along and used a typical Sheldon blunder as an excuse to initiate it...and for what, just to resume the relationship status quo without any evidence of a real change in Sheldon? Yuck...

At this point its a lot of water under the bridge and like you Im hopeful and anticipating a good S10. I really dont, however, get why the writers are so reluctant to show ANY level of physical intimacy with them after 9x10 and 9x11. Its great to explore the communication stuff and the shared info that the hoarding episode brought, but its just so weird to get zero amount of the physical stuff. When folks get on here and throw a fit over that issue its hard to argue the facts sometimes. I do hope the physical issue gets resolved and soon. If not then one has to wonder if coitus and that 9x10 doorway kiss is just a fluke...and I for one dont want to believe that.

Edited by 2L344

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2016 at 10:04 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

She probably forced herself to sound nonchalant to Sheldon, because she didn't want to sound all desperate and needy to him.

she should have told him then to get his scrawny ass back or else she's signing the termination agreement.THAT's what she should have done then.

But anyway.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

At this point its a lot of water under the bridge and like you Im hopeful and anticipating a good S10. I really dont, however, get why the writers are so reluctant to show ANY level of physical intimacy with them after 9x10 and 9x11. Its great to explore the communication stuff and the shared info that the hoarding episode brought, but its just so weird to get zero amount of the physical stuff. When folks get on here and throw a fit over that issue its hard to argue the facts sometimes. I do hope the physical issue gets resolved and soon. If not then one has to wonder if coitus and that 9x10 doorway kiss is just a fluke...and I for one dont want to believe that.

Same. What's so baffling about the writers stubborn refusal to do anything with this is that they have so many opportunities to approach the topic.  Nobody wants this to turn into some sort of "annual pity fuck" so this is really the only pitfall they need to avoid - but they can't do much wrong if they have the two of them approach the issue in some way. The writers can make it hilarious and charmingly awkward or make it sweet and sincere, or even a mix of that. I was just saying to @mirs1 how I'd take literally anything at this point that'll move them forward on that front in any possible way. lol

I can only imagine that just like with the living arrangements the writers are scared to make the next move, as per Molaro's recent interviews, but I also hope that they're excited about it even though they might need a little more time to figure out the details. I've said it before (sorry if this is repetitive) but it feels like the last episodes were wedged into S9 after they could get JH as Leonard's dad and so they came up with the wedding redo. My guess is that after that is dealt with the show will return to the S9 storylines, maybe they even manage to get the redo intertwined with some other stories. I'm hoping against all hope that maybe with the romantic wedding atmosphere and fallout of the Malfred cliffhanger at least something will happen with Shamy as well, be it either them getting into the mood somehow, or the (almost?) parent hook up brings up the topic of sex and relationships, or whatever. So many possibilities, the show just needs to pick one and run with it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, April said:

Same. What's so baffling about the writers stubborn refusal to do anything with this is that they have so many opportunities to approach the topic.  Nobody wants this to turn into some sort of "annual pity fuck" so this is really the only pitfall they need to avoid - but they can't do much wrong if they have the two of them approach the issue in some way. The writers can make it hilarious and charmingly awkward or make it sweet and sincere, or even a mix of that. I was just saying to @mirs1 how I'd take literally anything at this point that'll move them forward on that front in any possible way. lol

I can only imagine that just like with the living arrangements the writers are scared to make the next move, as per Molaro's recent interviews, but I also hope that they're excited about it even though they might need a little more time to figure out the details. I've said it before (sorry if this is repetitive) but it feels like the last episodes were wedged into S9 after they could get JH as Leonard's dad and so they came up with the wedding redo. My guess is that after that is dealt with the show will return to the S9 storylines, maybe they even manage to get the redo intertwined with some other stories. I'm hoping against all hope that maybe with the romantic wedding atmosphere and fallout of the Malfred cliffhanger at least something will happen with Shamy as well, be it either them getting into the mood somehow, or the (almost?) parent hook up brings up the topic of sex and relationships, or whatever. So many possibilities, the show just needs to pick one and run with it!

It will be interesting as to how they write any of the story lines, if they don't know if they are going to be renewed beyond season 10.  

According to what we have heard in the past , the writing crew gets back to work in July.  How do they write...as if season 10 is the last and they only have 24 episodes to wrap everything up?  Or do the ignore "the elephant in the room" (the renewal) and just let the stories flow like they normally do?

Popular opinion is that we will not hear about a renewal until late 2016.

It will be interesting to watch in all unfold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About the ring:

I still think that Sheldon was very close to proposing on their anniversary. And I think that he was definitely going to do it on that Skype call, after Amy's outburst. We know that he was going to use a proposal to get his relationship going again in the Spock episode so who's to say he wouldn't be capable of doing that even before they broke up? Let's keep in mind that it would be very unevolved of Sheldon to do that (I'm using this word because in Valentino he said that the break-up helped him evolve), since it's quite unhealthy to think of a proposal like that.

About the break-up:

I didn't say this when I made that encyclopedia-like post about season 8 because I know the episode is a fan-favourite but wth: I'm not that impressed with the Fort episode. Yes, it was pretty awesome and a huge step for Sheldon to go against his own RA so that Amy can sleep over but to me it felt like it was too little too late for Amy.

Sheldon was very inconsiderate to her in that episode, even without meaning to. Here was Amy, trying to make him feel better about not being invited to...wtf that was (yet again I can't remember) only for Sheldon to go on and on about how he'd rather be there and make no effort for their date...Um, nice going Sheldon. And I know that if you decide to be in a relationship with someone like him there are certain things you'll have to put up with but really, how much can someone take? Amy didn't dare speak her mind about most things that annoyed her at that point and after S's little train adventure she must have been ready to burst!

As for the fort itself, well, Amy looked quite underwhelmed during and after the whole negotiation bit, and when it was time for her to leave she also sounded like she was tired of that nonsense lol. I'm not saying that they didn't have fun, I'm talking about when she had to leave and about what Sheldon was willing to offer. Because to me it looked like he was being stubborn and ridiculous with the whole rating thing.

So to sum up, to me the break-up made sense and I saw it coming a mile away. I saw little clues over season 8 and though it COULD have happened after the train trip, we know how understanding and forgiving Amy is (too much even), and like I've said before, he probably won her over with that whole "I didn't want you to see me fail" thing.

As for Amy going back to him no strings attached, I think it's important to remember that her initial intention wasn't to break up with him. That came after and as we know, impulsivity is one of her defining traits.

About coitus:

It's so bizzare to me that this storyline wasn't resolved in s9. I expect something to be done about it in the first part of s10 otherwise they better go find some place to hide :D. I don't think that their lack of on-screen physicality after 9x11 means something, and by on-screen I mean physicality in general. I also don't have a problem with Sheldon having sex with Amy as a gift (as long as the resolution is - *ahem* - satisfying), though I can understand why other people find it fishy. As for it being too soon, well, I certainly didn't expect it to happen one episode after they reconciled due to both of them being big events, but it wasn't weird to me at all after I found out that it did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just assumed when the break up occurred the writers were trying a little too hard to recreate what every happy story line needed before an even happier story line came along which was the coitus.  Like, something bad happens before a wedding ceremony on a tv show/movie.  But I'm not necessarily sure if this is really sloppy writing because depending on how you guys view season 8 is up to you.  I started believing they broke up because the writers wanted to have a build up to the coitus moment with a pit fall.

Anyways, I totally agree that they should be a easing there way into a more physical relationship (and I don't just necessarily mean coitus when I say that but what has been mentioned millions of times already).  Sheldon should at least show Amy a little more affection.  And the date nights thing... well, yeah, Sheldon sometimes prefer to enjoy his time elsewhere than his girlfriend makes him sound cold.  Man, that guy really NEEDS to learn to have manners.

And btw, I hope that they get married already so I could possibly finish up my music video.

Edited by snow*flower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Judith said:

About the ring:

I still think that Sheldon was very close to proposing on their anniversary. And I think that he was definitely going to do it on that Skype call, after Amy's outburst. We know that he was going to use a proposal to get his relationship going again in the Spock episode so who's to say he wouldn't be capable of doing that even before they broke up? Let's keep in mind that it would be very unevolved of Sheldon to do that (I'm using this word because in Valentino he said that the break-up helped him evolve), since it's quite unhealthy to think of a proposal like that.

About the break-up:

I didn't say this when I made that encyclopedia-like post about season 8 because I know the episode is a fan-favourite but wth: I'm not that impressed with the Fort episode. Yes, it was pretty awesome and a huge step for Sheldon to go against his own RA so that Amy can sleep over but to me it felt like it was too little too late for Amy.

Sheldon was very inconsiderate to her in that episode, even without meaning to. Here was Amy, trying to make him feel better about not being invited to...wtf that was (yet again I can't remember) only for Sheldon to go on and on about how he'd rather be there and make no effort for their date...Um, nice going Sheldon. And I know that if you decide to be in a relationship with someone like him there are certain things you'll have to put up with but really, how much can someone take? Amy didn't dare speak her mind about most things that annoyed her at that point and after S's little train adventure she must have been ready to burst!

As for the fort itself, well, Amy looked quite underwhelmed during and after the whole negotiation bit, and when it was time for her to leave she also sounded like she was tired of that nonsense lol. I'm not saying that they didn't have fun, I'm talking about when she had to leave and about what Sheldon was willing to offer. Because to me it looked like he was being stubborn and ridiculous with the whole rating thing.

So to sum up, to me the break-up made sense and I saw it coming a mile away. I saw little clues over season 8 and though it COULD have happened after the train trip, we know how understanding and forgiving Amy is (too much even), and like I've said before, he probably won her over with that whole "I didn't want you to see me fail" thing.

As for Amy going back to him no strings attached, I think it's important to remember that her initial intention wasn't to break up with him. That came after and as we know, impulsivity is one of her defining traits.

About coitus:

It's so bizzare to me that this storyline wasn't resolved in s9. I expect something to be done about it in the first part of s10 otherwise they better go find some place to hide :D. I don't think that their lack of on-screen physicality after 9x11 means something, and by on-screen I mean physicality in general. I also don't have a problem with Sheldon having sex with Amy as a gift (as long as the resolution is - *ahem* - satisfying), though I can understand why other people find it fishy. As for it being too soon, well, I certainly didn't expect it to happen one episode after they reconciled due to both of them being big events, but it wasn't weird to me at all after I found out that it did.

You see the part I have a problem with is not whether Amy was justified in asking for a break, or even initiating a break up. Lord knows she's had plenty of reason to do both. And you're right, the Fort episode alone would be underwhelming and not a huge deal. But when you add it up with the other stuff I mentioned it's part of a bigger picture in S8. Amy should have seen that things were looking up for her in the relationship, and things were progressing much quicker than in the past. At least that's how I saw it...

 So my big problem is not that Amy decided to take a break or end it, but rather it's with her never resolving whatever issues she had with Sheldon before attempting to resume the relationship. At the time I asked myself "Are we to expect Amy to "take a break" every 5 years, or did she decide that she was just "silly" when she broke up in the first place?"...And if in fact she was deciding that the old Sheldon, after a 6 month separation and her limited exposure to a few other men, was indeed what she's wanted all along, then we shouldn't see a disappointed or frustrated Amy ever again. And let's remember that her decision to reconcile came before sex and what not. I just never bought the break up arc as written and probably never will. BUT as a fan of the show, and Shamy shipper, I've accepted it and moved on. Still just happy they reconciled and we aren't dealing with some strange awkward Dave relationship arc nowadays...

I do find the lack of physicality "fishy" since the writers portrayed the reconciliation as a passionate one. If Sheldon is gifting his genitals to Amy in 9x11 I guess he also faked his way through a long passionate embrace/kiss just to seal the deal in 9x10. I'm just not buying that. In my opinion they went from being BF/gf to lovers in 9x11, and as such I would expect to see that in some form, ANY form at this point--handholding, a hug, hell a peck on the cheek! How about a "Amy you look lovely in that dress" just once....If the writers aren't willing to show any kind of affection between them, then the coitus episode is a throw away. And it was just too good of an episode to be that. While I don't expect Sheldon to be a gigolo as a result of 9x11, I also don't expect him to be a robot who got more action under the RA than he does now after having had sex with Amy....

But everyone is entitled to see it differently and we'll all just have to wait until the next season to see how it plays out. I'm excited and eager to have S10 start up and I'm optimistic that a lot of our questions will get resolved. I really really hope this is the case.

Edited by 2L344

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, vonmar said:

It will be interesting as to how they write any of the story lines, if they don't know if they are going to be renewed beyond season 10.  

According to what we have heard in the past , the writing crew gets back to work in July.  How do they write...as if season 10 is the last and they only have 24 episodes to wrap everything up?  Or do the ignore "the elephant in the room" (the renewal) and just let the stories flow like they normally do?

Popular opinion is that we will not hear about a renewal until late 2016.

It will be interesting to watch in all unfold.

For me they already know what's going to happen  (and, according to what actors are saying lately, I guess there will be at least another season past S. 10), even if for the actual signs on the contracts some more time is needed.  It's more or less what happened in S. 7/8. There were complicated negotiations, they continued during all hiatus and the show had even to cancel the first taping because not all contracts had been signed at that point, but they did not write S. 7 as it were the last.

As for the break up\making up thing, I think we may argue that the break up happened for the wrong reason and at the wrong time and, as far as S. 8 goes, there were not enough clues about it. In many ways I feel the same. But, from a writing PoV, there was a plan behind it. It was stated in many interviews that the decision about coitus on SW premiere was taken a long time ago, possibly even when they decided to make late Prof. Proton appear to Sheldon as a Jedi. So tptb have maximized the whole situation and created a very strong conflict for the couple in the first part of the season in order to give this event the biggest visibility possible (and they succeeded in it). Moreover, they had to bring Sheldon out of his comfort zone very quickly and in a "believable" way (since, for the usual reason that "Sheldon is Sheldon" there haven't been so many progresses in their physical intimacy up to the S. 8 finale), a broken heart it the easiest way to do so. Could the whole arc had been written differently? Of course yes, they could have decided to do it in  thousands of different ways, not even sure they chose the best possible, but I guess they had their motivations. For sure, as many of you, I don't like how they handled the last part of the season on that respect. I was ok with it until the writers enlightened Shamy progresses in other areas, like their communication (the hoarding episode) or the fact they enjoy their time together (FwF, the cabin episode...) Anyway, I expected something to happen before the season ended. 

Edited by mirs1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much as it would be nice to see a little more physical affection, I don't worry about not seeing Shamy  handholding nor sitting with arms round each other, or even seeing them walking a yard apart. Perhaps there's a subtle visual message there that tptb are conveying ? They had them sitting very closely together in the A and E waiting area at the hospital with Sheldon not complaining or trying to shrug her off. Plenty of married  or long-term courting couples are not noticeably demonstrative  once they have got to the confidence-in-each-other stage and beyond.  It doesn't mean they are never lovey-dovey in private. Taking each other for granted up to a point isn't always a bad thing.  Amy was more relaxed and assured  when she told Beverly she'd talk to Sheldon about being interviewed than I can remember seeing her when mentioning him. 

Incidentally, I love how Beverly handles Amy - I think she's good for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, vonmar said:

It will be interesting as to how they write any of the story lines, if they don't know if they are going to be renewed beyond season 10.  

According to what we have heard in the past , the writing crew gets back to work in July.  How do they write...as if season 10 is the last and they only have 24 episodes to wrap everything up?  Or do the ignore "the elephant in the room" (the renewal) and just let the stories flow like they normally do?

Popular opinion is that we will not hear about a renewal until late 2016.

It will be interesting to watch in all unfold.

Yeah, I'm intrigued, too. Molaro at least said they won't write it as a final season and just do their thing but then again I hope they'll go forward with many of the developments for which S9 laid some solid groundwork, living arrangements and some more Shamy milestones being the prime concerns here, IMHO. (The Howardette baby is a given, the Penny's job story line is something Molaro already confirmed as something being picked up again, even Raj's dating nonsense will probably be sorted out in some way cause they have nothing else to do for him...) Even if S10 would be the last it could leave the show with all the characters in a nice place.

But then again I think they'll know for sure early enough if they'll get more seasons beyond that. From what I understand S11 is reportedly already a contractual option, everything beyond that is more of a question mark. So seeing as TBBT is still going incredibly strong in this day and age and CBS still doesn't have a potential replacement to take over the ratings throne they'll probably cling to the show as long as possible.

For the writing that means they could put some big developments into the first half of S10 and then pace the rest accordingly. If they get more seasons they might end up dragging some story lines more than we would like, if they don't get more they can wrap things up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.