[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

Aww guys, thank you so much for all the nice things you said about my fanfic!! Amy Fowler, I did make it happen. It's called The Adolescence Repossession :-)

OMG I swear I don't read things properly. Why the hell have I not read it before! *goes to read fic* :icon_cheesygrin:

Edited by Amy Fowler
  • Like 2

I really would like a reconciliation ep between Sheldon and Amy like the one that Mary Albright and Dick Solomon had in 3rd Rock from the Sun where they end up locked in their university's library and end up having to stay the night there. They end up getting drunk and having sex. lol. While Shamy doesn't necessarily have to get that intimate yet, it would be a funny episode if they got locked in the university's library, Amy's lab or Sheldon's office. This would be a good opportunity for both characters to be hippies and express how they're really feeling and what they both want/need from their relationship. It would be so sweet if during the conversation Amy tells Sheldon she's still mad at him but that they're like moons and planets revolving around each other constantly and that she just can't stay away from Sheldon for long. I can also see Sheldon saying that her words make her want to kiss him with Amy replying that he could try Kohlinar if he needs to but Sheldon simply says, "I don't want to and I don't care that it's not date night. My desire is to kiss you right now."

• Like 6

I do agalthough that Amy doesn't knowwhat she wants right now. At the same time, I wouldn't take this episode as a huge indication of the fact that Amy never had an identity of her own and is having an identity crisis, as much as the fact that she's facing a lot of confusion right now regarding where she has gotten to in the past five years, what she likes, what she doesn't like, what she wants and what she doesn't want due to her experiences. I don't agree that she never had her own identity or always just did what other people told her to do. Yes, she did often, but she's also been shown resisting and rebelling on several occasions, both in the stories she tells about her past and in the things she did on the show. She has often been shown to know what she likes and what she wants, be it lifestyle choices or clothing or work. The same is true of Sheldon: just because he listens and does everything his mother tells him to, that doesn't mean he doesn't have an identity of his own or is able to put his foot down about the things he doesn't share (like her religious beliefs for example). They're not black or white, they have streaks of both assertiveness and stubbornness and insecurities and doubts, and that's what makes them interesting to me.

I also disagree that she always followed Sheldon's rules and did what he wanted. Sheldon wouldn't be at the stage he is today if she that's all she had done. She was the one that changed the parameters of the relationship over and over with her demands, and Sheldon always went along with that. Sure, he didn't compromise himself fully, but she didn't either. What I don't seem to agree often with people is this idea that Amy was the only one who compromised and sacrificed and worked hard at her relationship and I really don't understand where this idea comes from. Not that she didn't, but Sheldon did a lot of work of his own, he never tried to change Amy into something else (she changed A LOT through the years, and he still stuck by her), and embraced tons of things he actively derided and scorned in the past, his pride be damned. They always met each other halfway, that was the essence of their relationship. I keep saying that I feel like the writers keep moving the goal posts on Sheldon at every step forward so that people keep perceiving everything he does as not enough. But I think it's very unfair to ignore all that progress just because the writers decide to make Amy annoyed: it's the kind of tell, not show that I've never been a fan of with this show, where they ask me to ignore stuff for the sake of the current plot point. 

If the issue with her is ticking the boxes of having sex, getting engaged, living with someone, and that's the core issue, that she's just been waiting patiently to tick those boxes, then I don't understand what we have spent the last 5 years watching. She could have had all of that with Stuart. But she obviously wants it with Sheldon. So my question to the writers now is "why". Why does she want Sheldon? I think they got so wrapped up in their "force/object paradox" that they honestly lost sight of why Shamy were together in the first place. 

Oh you're on the forum! I was meant to review your fic for ages and I haven't gotten around to because of all these spoilers rollercoaster. But I will at some point! :) 

I am, although I mostly lurk around and read spoilers *laugh*, I have a terrible cough atm and trouble sleeping so I decided to check in on the Shamy thread :-) I'm just happy you like my fic, review whenever you feel like it :-) And Amy Fowler, I hope you like it! *resumes lurking*

I really would like a reconciliation ep between Sheldon and Amy like the one that Mary Albright and Dick Solomon had in 3rd Rock from the Sun where they end up locked in their university's library and end up having to stay the night there. They end up getting drunk and having sex. lol. While Shamy doesn't necessarily have to get that intimate yet, it would be a funny episode if they got locked in the university's library, Amy's lab or Sheldon's office. This would be a good opportunity for both characters to be hippies and express how they're really feeling and what they both want/need from their relationship. It would be so sweet if during the conversation Amy tells Sheldon she's still mad at him but that they're like moons and planets revolving around each other constantly and that she just can't stay away from Sheldon for long. I can also see Sheldon saying that her words make her want to kiss him with Amy replying that he could try Kohlinar if he needs to but Sheldon simply says, "I don't want to and I don't care that it's not date night. My desire is to kiss you right now."

I like your imagination pinksquishyhuman :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

I would sooo like to hug Amy, how can someone lock a child in the closet?

I wish that there will be an episode with Sheldon, Amy and Amy´s mother. Shamy reconciled, so Sheldon invites Amy´s mother. Her mother asks to go to the toilet, so Sheldon shows her the bath and when she gets inside Sheldon locks the door and shouts: "This is for the closet."

Then he turns back to Amy, grabs her hand and says: "Let´s get you an ice cream".

Amy: Wait, what about my mother?

Sheldon: She is 'occupied'.

This is what would make me laugh.

omg that would be so cool actually!

Amy's mother really disgusts me :(

• Like 1

After reading the S93 TR, I got to thinking that we are seeing a little of what is going on with Amy.    It seems that she is having a bit of an identity crisis.   She has had so many people, her mother, her friends, and Sheldon (through the RA) telling her how she should behave that she really does not seem to know what it is that SHE wants.  Everyone is pushing her to do and be what they think she should without taking her tastes and wants into consideration.  Amy has ideas, but does not have the confidence it seems to follow through on them.   

For five years, she has followed Sheldon's rules, pushed him, and sacrificed things that she enjoys to win him over in hopes of not rocking the relationship but moving it forward.  Five years later, she is still living alone, not engaged, still a virgin, and still very much in love with Sheldon.  Perhaps she feels a little rejected and that she has wasted those years on a man-child who in incapable of feeling the things about her that she does about him.

It is clear that she cares about what Sheldon thinks, as she is still hanging onto the RA and hesitant to make any changes, but at the same time wants to explore what life has to offer outside of the rigid rules she has espoused to.  She is conflicted.    By always thinking of Sheldon and his expectations and being afraid to stand up to him for fear he will run, she has neglected her needs in the relationship.

It is so heartbreaking because we know how much Amy means to Sheldon, but she hasn't a clue.   She probably views all of his recent antics as typical Sheldon being childish just to get his way.   She doesn't understand his sentiment and motivation.   Sheldon, for his part, has been quite tight-lipped on the whole matter.  Not only is Amy in the dark regarding his plans for their future, but it seems he has no intent to reveal it to anyone else in their circle of friends, either.

Wishful thinking, but it would be so nice if instead of berating Amy, Sheldon surprised her with a pair of pierced earrings (of his choosing) as a gift to show that he accepts her decision.  

Imho I think it's more of anxiety about her future,a will-I-or-won't-I have a future with Sheldon.She's confused whether she'll stay or go.Subconsciously she wants to stay with him,hence the reluctance to change her FB status.Consciously she got pissed with Sheldon's "I'll get her back" antics.She's torn so she decides to focus on other activities she likes instead,giving herself a breather. Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

I personally wouldn't hold much stock on the RA line.  Its a throw away line basically saying "I want to do something different...Sheldon said no changes to appearance, well tada".  I don't imagine a termination notice or anything with this one. 

Again, I think the RA is beyond helping or hurting either of them in this situation. 

Yeh, I think if Sheldon bought up the RA, Amy would just slam the door in his face,

Right I have a lot to catch up on! Thank you to those who gave us info :) Much appreciated x

• Like 3

All this with amys mother locking her in a sin cupboard really creeps me out as it reminds me of the film carry when her mother would lock her in and make her pray and ask for forgiveness...

Wow the sin closet stuff?

Just wow. I don't know how I feel about that honestly.. Well away from that. It's hie to see Amy not giving up entirely and being reluctant. Hopefully this is the start of a U-turn on this break.

With what we learn about Amy today. I can certainly see the way her charecter is the way she is. Personally for me it explains a lot.

Edited by kazzie
  • Like 2

this is my thoughts.

E4 will be a non-Shamy one, maybe they will brace living arrangements, maybe not

E5 will be living arrangements and slowly reconciling Shamy (but done with Sheldon being alone-alone)

E6-E8 one of these 3  and I am leaning towards E7 for some reason will have them back together.  How is to be determined.  But I do trust the writers!!

I agree. Think of all the shows that put couples together after major Drama then it got boring. I truly believe all is well and I personally do not mind if it goes for a little while.  Then  a EPIC ep. Of them telling each other everything and a EPIC touchy feely Sheldon will make a appearance. 

Yes this is what I was trying to say but not nearly as eloquently as you have a few pages back.   I totally agree with this.   I also think that Amy has always sought approval and didn't want to disappoint people, afraid that she would lose their friendship or love.   I think she is struggling with a bit of that as well and thus the signs of a streak of rebellion coming through in both her response to Bernadette about her Facebook status and in her decision to have her ears pierced...and in a way the shape of the cookies she baked because she knew that would be rebelling against everything her mother wanted for her.   She needs to learn a bit more assertiveness.  She is odd because at times she can be assertive, and other times she fears disappointing others and losing their love so she complies even if it is against her wishes.   I do think these are things troubling her and they go beyond just Sheldon.  But I do think that her love for Sheldon and his for her will somehow even all of this out eventually.   The question is really when.... :girlsigh: 

it would be so great if while Amy is trying to figure stuff out she gets a visit from someone with words of wisdom. MEEMAW 

All this with amys mother locking her in a sin cupboard really creeps me out as it reminds me of the film carry when her mother would lock her in and make her pray and ask for forgiveness...

sounds like the movie CARRIE 

• Like 2

Jena,  usually I agree with you for the most part but not this time.   I do feel that maybe Amy has to sort through her influences and decided what works for her and what doesn't.  Getting her ears pierced aside,  I have never felt like Sheldon has ever let Amy be anything but who she was.   I actually think that is a point that he has over her in this relationship.   No matter how much she has changed since he met her,  I cannot remember him ever complaining about the person she is,  while she has complained about him.  

She might be going through an identity crisis,  but I don't think that Sheldon is the reason behind that.   I think her new experiences from being more involved in the world are. 

I also want to add that this is one of the deep feelings that Sheldon had actually verbalized.  He likes/loves her for who she is. 

I totally agree with you here, Nickelette.   Sheldon does love Amy for who she is, but I feel this does not absolve him of being a cause for her issues, either.   Sheldon may not be complaining about Amy, but his actions imply that her thoughts and feelings have little importance to him. 

The underlying problem is that when it comes to the RA, the things they do together, and Sheldon's behavior, things are skewed in his favor.   If she wants to do something that conflicts with his will, he either complains about her idea and she has to negotiate with him or he tries to avoid it all together.  However, if Sheldon wants to do something she doesn't like, she tends to go along if only to avoid conflict and spend time with him.   In a sense, Amy has been enabling Sheldon's selfish behavior by not standing up for the things she wants in the relationship.

The relationship was simply not balanced.   Learning a little bit about her background, now I understand why Amy was so willing to let Sheldon set the boundaries and pace of the relationship.  Amy is exhausted.  In her mind, I think she has given and given and pulled all the stops trying to get anything that she can hold onto that says this relationship is going somewhere and she feels she has got nothing.

Now I wholeheartedly believe that Sheldon can take some push back from Amy.   She is important enough to him that he will step out of his comfort zone on her behalf, but Amy needs to be confident enough in herself, and in his love for her, that if she doesn't always bend to his will, it will be okay.   The relationship will be a much healthier one, and she will get more of what she wants out of it.  

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 6

After reading the S93 TR, I got to thinking that we are seeing a little of what is going on with Amy.    It seems that she is having a bit of an identity crisis.   She has had so many people, her mother, her friends, and Sheldon (through the RA) telling her how she should behave that she really does not seem to know what it is that SHE wants.  Everyone is pushing her to do and be what they think she should without taking her tastes and wants into consideration.  Amy has ideas, but does not have the confidence it seems to follow through on them.   

For five years, she has followed Sheldon's rules, pushed him, and sacrificed things that she enjoys to win him over in hopes of not rocking the relationship but moving it forward.  Five years later, she is still living alone, not engaged, still a virgin, and still very much in love with Sheldon.  Perhaps she feels a little rejected and that she has wasted those years on a man-child who in incapable of feeling the things about her that she does about him.

It is clear that she cares about what Sheldon thinks, as she is still hanging onto the RA and hesitant to make any changes, but at the same time wants to explore what life has to offer outside of the rigid rules she has espoused to.  She is conflicted.    By always thinking of Sheldon and his expectations and being afraid to stand up to him for fear he will run, she has neglected her needs in the relationship.

It is so heartbreaking because we know how much Amy means to Sheldon, but she hasn't a clue.   She probably views all of his recent antics as typical Sheldon being childish just to get his way.   She doesn't understand his sentiment and motivation.   Sheldon, for his part, has been quite tight-lipped on the whole matter.  Not only is Amy in the dark regarding his plans for their future, but it seems he has no intent to reveal it to anyone else in their circle of friends, either.

Wishful thinking, but it would be so nice if instead of berating Amy, Sheldon surprised her with a pair of pierced earrings (of his choosing) as a gift to show that he accepts her decision.  

He should buy her a pair earrings to match the tiara.

• Like 2

First, koops, amazing post! 

Secondly, there (and in various other threads and ff's) seems to be  predominant view  that Agreement is skewed in Amy's disadvantage, I always wondered on how people came to that conclusion, because, frankly, that was never my impression. So I'm curious if someone can show me actual, repetitive occasions from the show that would support that statement? Or words that would prove that? Because yes, some occasions when Sheldon or Amy tried to bend the Agreement to fit their wishes there were of course, but that what both of them did, and I'm not under impression Sheldon would do that more than Amy. So if there's something real from the show that would show, yes, Agreement is skewed so much in  Sheldon's favor, I would like to see that. And it's not in any way trying to prove that people are wrong, I'm just curious, because that's still the opinion, I just don't understand. 

• Like 5

Jenafan & Koops, I kinda agree with you both on your earlier comments ... or maybe I'm in between or whatever, Idk.

I do think the relationship is skewed but I don't think that this means there isn't any give and take here. Both are flawed people, obviously, and as much as they have this great communication going on they're not always on the same wavelength when it comes to what's important in their relationship. Amy values intimacy and displays of affection more than Sheldon does - or at least that's probably the impression she gets when he's mocking all those hippie-dippie things all the time and some of his remarks come across as really mean spirited (mostly throwaway jokes for the show but jeez, Sheldon!). And don't get me wrong, I know he's come around for most of that by now but I have no doubt that from Amy's perspective she thinks she has to walk on eggshells around him cause he's a literal flight risk (see S7 finale) and that she tries extra hard to be the perfect girlfriend for him to get something in return (see her "WHAT THE HELL SHELDON!?" reaction). And yes I'd go as far and say that this may lead to her overlooking things that Sheldon does only for her sake.

As for Sheldon's side what I think is missing is that kind of talk that he and Penny had once - the thing about youtube changing the voting system. A trivial issue for most people but very upsetting for him. And while his and Amy's minds think alike for the most part I'm not entirely sure that Amy gets that part of him. Like when he asks about the Flash. For us as the audience it's easy to see how this is important to him and even how him asking her in the first place, while bad timing, still may be a sign of something bigger on the horizon (was this his awkward way to talk about commitment/her moving in/proposal??? etc.). We as the audience get an explanation when he talks with Lenny and we can easily put two and two together. Another example off the top of my head would be when they think about investing in the comic book store. Sheldon is the one pointing out that the others should consult with their fiancé/wife about the investment - and then goes on to ask Amy about her opinion implying that she has that same importance in his life (and that was before the ILY2). In both cases Amy doesn't have that additional information so she's left the with the impression of Sheldon being obsessed with super heroes and not thinking about her. (It surely doesn't help when he's throwing another dismissive comment into the mix, ughh)

So yeah, I think for their reconciliation they need to get these two sides in sync somehow with a nice heartfelt talk.

As an aside, if there's one beef I have with the show it's that for the sake of comedy the interests are so gender segregated, as in "the guys like geeky stuff and the gals think it's stupid". I loved it when the girls had their nerd fight over Thor's hammer but that seemed to have been forgotten about as the show went on. It would have been so great if by now they found at least one franchise they could all enjoy and be excited about!

Aww guys, thank you so much for all the nice things you said about my fanfic!! Amy Fowler, I did make it happen. It's called The Adolescence Repossession :-)

I love that story, too! Well done, Ylva! <3

Edited by April
  • Like 6

I think, tbh, that the person who compromises more in the the relationship is Sheldon. I mean, Amy makes a lot of compromises, too, but the difference is that she wanted the changes for herself, first, and then for the relationship. It was very well said by Bill Prady that Amy, since the beginning, wasn't sic et simpliciter the female-Sheldon. She acted like him just by lack of occasions; in fact, as soon as she found Penny and Bernadette, she imposed herself as their new BFF and embraced a whole new life. Sheldon is Sheldon by choice, he has friends with a very different life from his own, but he never embraced their habits or pov, he was pretty happy for his life as it was before meeting Amy. So, everything he agreed to after the beginning of the relationship has much more importance, since in a way is "against" his own wishes and is a big sign of love. The point is that Amy, who knows all his struggles, I'm sure of it, has came to a (legitimate) point where she doesn't know if these compromises are enough for her or, in the worst case, has already decided that these compromises are not enough anymore. And it is not just about sex and marriage, if you notice not once Amy used those words during the fights, she could have brought  those things up when Sheldon spoke about eggs and getting older, but she didn't. She is trying to not hurting him, but to understand what's better for herself. Both of them have their reasons, here. The thing is that maybe, given his strong personality and the way writers describe him and his quirks, Sheldon's reasons come up as weaker than Amy's, he seems the one who bosses her around, but, as I said, for me is the one that compromises more. I think that the tag of the premiere can explain a lot about his reasons...Many of us, I'm sure, see them without the certainty of a proposal, but I feel that, for the complete understanding of his side of the story, it has to be an engagement ring intended to be used in a very short time.

• Like 3

We just need them to talk - Amy to let Sheldon understand why she needed a break and to hear her desires and insecurities.

Sheldon to articulate how he feels about Amy , his wants and desires and where he sees their future going

This is all it would take to fix things I'm sure.....come on writers !!!!!

• Like 2

I don't agree with this either, tbh. Sheldon has done plenty of stuff with Amy that she wanted to do (again, or he wouldn't be where he is today) and I'd say that especially early on in their relationship and in the early days of the RA, there was tons of stuff in there that there is no way Sheldon added because he really really wanted to. He might have grown to appreciate that with time, but the boyfriend/girlfriend singalongs, Date Nights, all their anniversary protocols are the first things that come to mind from back then that have Amy written all over it. Actually, I'd say that 50% of the times we hear the RA being brought up it's to do with protocols for romance and Date Nights, which I'm sure Amy has an immense saying on. Again, the RA isn't just Sheldon's document, and 8x03 actually gave us a great insight on how everything operates within its contexts and it's very much a team effort.

I'm with Koops on that one. Tbh, I used to think that Amy and Sheldon would be better off without the RA. But that was probably due to the fact that I feel Romance should not be predictable or planned. Then I thought about Amy and Sheldon not being the usual couple ( and that's what I love about them ). Initially the sole purpuse of the RA was to gain some kind of order and breathing space for Sheldon. It provided structure and predictability to something seemingly chaotic. Naturally we have seen him use the RA to his advantage, either out of egotistic reasons or simple out of apprehension. Still, as the years went by, the RA reformed into a guideline rather than a decree. So Sheldon might have intended to keep Amy from getting to close initially but sure doesn't anymore. The RA serves both of them respectively and takes both their wishes into account. 

I do see the benefit in this pragmaticality for both Sheldon and Amy. What has started as a control mechanism for Sheldon turned into a lifeline for both of them. This might also be the reason neither one has brought the RA up after the break-up. None of them is ready to let go.

On another note, while walking into work I got this fluffy scenario pop up in my head. What if the S9 finale were to be a time-travel themed finale, where it's their sixth anniversary and Sheldon demands that it's time-travel themed and Amy thinks it's one of his Dr Who/scifi nonsense but decides to amuse him and instead Sheldon wants to redo their fifth anniversary down to a T as it was meant to go down, and even forces her to dress the exact same way (maybe you can have some comedy if Amy has thrown out some of those clothes and now has to get the exact same thing again). And then at the end of the night he proposes and Amy realizes what was going to happen if she hadn't blown up at him over the Flash comment and it all comes full circle. Tempted to attempt a one-shot at this... 

Oh, please do!

• Like 4

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic