[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

Some of my impression may have been formed as carryover from earlier seasons.  In fact, I sure of it, but I still feel a general vibe of contempt off him.  And I completely agree that flowery Sheldon would be awful, but they're capable of writing him respectful but not treacly an did like to see more of it.  I know the mushroom log was a throwaway joke, but really I saw it as evidence that he holds her in higher esteem than his mother,  and I wish they'd spent time making that subtext text.  How?  I don't know, I'm not a writer.  But it's the sort of thing I'd like to see.   I also like to see them mess with the others.   But basically I want them back together so they can do this stuff.

Edited by Boonaroma

• Replies 25.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• April

• A Shamy gal

• jenafan

• Amy Fowler

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First Pitch. I had stopped watching the episodes after the taping of the finale, so I missed out the last three of S7 and the first two of S8. First Pitch made me give it a second chance, and the rest just killed me with perfection. I hadn't been this happy about Shamy since S5. 

Maybe you might give it a third chance when they resolve their issues and Sheldon proposes? 

Maybe you might give it a third chance when they resolve their issues and Sheldon proposes? 

To me it literally all hinges on what happens in the interim (and how long the interim is). There are certain things that I think would most likely spoil Shamy forever for me, and a proper, prolonged breakup is one of them. Solidity, brutal honesty and communication were some of the things I loved the most about them, and we have none of that right now. While I can understand it given the short timeline and the emotional context, if the writers decide that they want to keep them apart for a long while, they're going to have to go beyond "unwanted breakup caused by an outburst of anger and unspoken things" into an officially broken, uncommunicative couple and essentially throw 5 years of hard work and progress into the trash for the sake of dragging things out. And the charm will be gone for me. This is two people who have been together for pretty much half a decade now, and two very peculiar people at that. I can't imagine that they can do justice to how devastating a breakup would be to these two, and I'd find it insulting if they think they can handle it like Lenny's when they had been dating for a few months, and Leonard got ahead of himself and got too serious too soon. This is wrong on so many levels for me. 

I'm not saying I'm not willing to give them a third chance a priori, but I'm not too confident in those chances right now. 

Edited by koops

To me it literally all hinges on what happens in the interim (and how long the interim is). There are certain things that I think would most likely spoil Shamy forever for me, and a proper, prolonged breakup is one of them. Solidity, brutal honesty and communication were some of the things I loved the most about them, and we have none of that right now. While I can understand it given the short timeline and the emotional context, if the writers decide that they want to keep them apart for a long while, they're going to have to go beyond "unwanted breakup caused by an outburst of anger and unspoken things" into an officially broken, uncommunicative couple and essentially throw 5 years of hard work and progress into the trash for the sake of dragging things out. And the charm will be gone for me. This is two people who have been together for pretty much half a decade now, and two very peculiar people at that. I can't imagine that they can do justice to how devastating a breakup would be to these two, and I'd find it insulting if they think they can handle it like Lenny's when they had been dating for a few months, and Leonard got ahead of himself and got too serious too soon. This is wrong on so many levels for me. 

I'm not saying I'm not willing to give them a third chance a priori, but I'm not too confident in those chances right now. 

Yes I feel the same way as you :yes:

My limit would be November sweeps and im still feeling fairly confident for now. What happens in the next few TRs may change how I feel for the better or for the worst. 

This is two people who have been together for pretty much half a decade now, and two very peculiar people at that. I can't imagine that they can do justice to how devastating a breakup would be to these two,

That is so true....

I have to agree with you. I think Amy changed a lot because of her active social life with Penny and Bernie. It pretty much started the little riff that Amy has with Sheldon.

I'm a little late to the game here.

Yes, and Sheldon confirms this during his night out with the girls before they went dancing.   He makes a comment to Amy in the car "What happened to you?"   He seemed to be implying that her association with Penny and Bernie were having an influence on her behavior.   During the Herb Garden Germination, he mentioned to Leonard how spending time with Penny had caused Amy to become a bit of a Gabby Gook or something to that effect.  

I found it interesting that when Amy held Sheldon's hand after her pseudo-dalliance with Zack in S4, she seemed to feel nothing sexual toward Sheldon.  Then she starts spending more time with the girls and realizes that she likes being in a social group, drinking and talking about "dirty" things.   Her needs as a woman become more apparent and her view of Sheldon begins to change from just friendship into something more.  I think kissing him for the first time sealed it.

People say that Amy is the one who wanted to change the parameters of the RA she agreed to, but as Sheldon put it, she has fallen victim to her basal urges.  She never expected something like this would happen to her, that she would have friends, an attractive boyfriend, want to touch or be touched, etc.   With all these discoveries, who can blame her for wanting to renegotiate on some of what she agreed to?

If anything, Sheldon should be flattered that he is the cause.  

As I think about all the commentary of the past few days, I see now how Sheldon has never tried to pull away from Amy in spite of her changing before his eyes or because of who she is.   While he has mocked her on occasion, he has not always been inflexible.   He never considered dropping her as a friend because she needed spooning or got drunk in a parking lot.   He didn't try to get out of the relationship because she has lied to him twice.   He agreed to hold hands even though he doesn't like it.   He agrees to participate in VD, much to his dislike.   So, I must concede that Amy is not the only one who has given in this relationship.   He does try.   The times that Sheldon has threatened to pull out is because of his fear of the changes she has made/makes in him, not because of her or her ideas.

Sheldon is beyond that now.  He recognizes that Amy is extremely good for him and makes him a better person.    Change is not always a bad thing. 

So, we are now left with a change in status quo of the relationship.   Absence makes the heart grow fonder.   It is hard to bear, but when Shamy reconciles, I think we will be happy to see how their time apart in enacted change on the balanced health of their relationship as far as communication and intimacy is concerned.

Edited by jenafan

I'm a little late to the game here.

Yes, and Sheldon confirms this during his night out with the girls before they went dancing.   He makes a comment to Amy in the car "What happened to you?"   He seemed to be implying that her association with Penny and Bernie were having an influence on her behavior.   During the Herb Garden Germination, he mentioned to Leonard how spending time with Penny had caused Amy to become a bit of a Gabby Gook or something to that effect.  

I found it interesting that when Amy held Sheldon's hand after her pseudo-dalliance with Zack in S4, she seemed to feel nothing sexual toward Sheldon.  Then she starts spending more time with the girls and realizes that she likes being in a social group, drinking and talking about "dirty" things.   Her needs as a woman become more apparent and her view of Sheldon begins to change from just friendship into something more.  I think kissing him for the first time sealed it.

People say that Amy is the one who wanted to change the parameters of the RA she agreed to, but as Sheldon put it, she has fallen victim to her basal urges.  She never expected something like this would happen to her, that she would have friends, an attractive boyfriend, want to touch or be touched, etc.   With all these discoveries, who can blame her for wanting to renegotiate on some of what she agreed to?

If anything, Sheldon should be flattered that he is the cause.  

As I think about all the commentary of the past few days, I see now how Sheldon has never tried to pull away from Amy in spite of her changing before his eyes or because of who she is.   While he has mocked her on occasion, he has not always been inflexible.   He never considered dropping her as a friend because she needed spooning or got drunk in a parking lot.   He didn't try to get out of the relationship because she has lied to him twice.   He agreed to hold hands even though he doesn't like it.   He agrees to participate in VD, much to his dislike.   So, I must concede that Amy is not the only one who has given in this relationship.   He does try.   The times that Sheldon has threatened to pull out is because of his fear of the changes she has made/makes in him, not because of her or her ideas.

Sheldon is beyond that now.  He recognizes that Amy is extremely good for him and makes him a better person.    Change is not always a bad thing. 

So, we are now left with a change in status quo of the relationship.   Absence makes the heart grow fonder.   It is hard to bear, but when Shamy reconciles, I think we will be happy to see how their time apart in enacted change on the balanced health of their relationship as far as communication and intimacy is concerned.

This post is perfection!!  And I do think soon (I pray soon because I cannot deal with upset shippers for our ship lol) Amy will see how far Sheldon has come for her AND appreciate him.  Right now she doesn't see it, she's too close to it. But time apart she'll get it.  Just like he'll see what this is all really about. 

Great post jenafan! Sheldon and Amy need to sit down and talk things out already. :vinsent:

And i'm like you Kerry. It really saddens me when I see upset Shamy shippers who are seriously thinking of giving up on the show (if they haven't already :( ). Granted I was also thinking of doing so a while back but I'm feeling good these days, with the news of Mary's appearance as well as the lovely-sounding new episode.

Edited by Luna18

Well, I'm seriously considering not watching the show for the moment.

I know you're going to say: but they are only Taping Reports, it's not the real show. But I don't know how to explain it, probably because there are things I don't want to watch, or because my past experience showed me that when I had a bad impression on a TR, I was right, but here it is: I don't want to  watch episodes 1 and 2 because they sound awful and I'm sick of the Big Baby ( even though I love Sheldon ), and my impressions about episode 3 are not great neither, even if  I really want to watch the boy's part, the girls' part bothers me.

I think I'm going to wait until I KNOW there is a reconciliation, maybe the fact that I know when and how they reconcile is going to make it less painful.

I learn so much new vocabulary reading these forums.   I had to look up the term priori.   Good choice of words.

I am agreement with you, if they drag this break up out too long, then it is does not justify the way the break up occurred.   Instead of it being the result of a reaction to frustration, misunderstanding, and miscommunication, it becomes about something deeper.  This is completely OOC for Shamy whose strong suits have always been communication and negotiation.   My biggest fear is what are the writers going to do with Amy and Sheldon in the interim.

If they have either one of them experimenting with dating other people (out of their own choice) then the writers are turning against and being hypocritical to the Shamy dynamic they've spent 5 years having us fall in love with.   Dating others would make Amy seem like she just wants attention and romance, and not that she wanted these things only from Sheldon.  That would indeed prove to Sheldon that lack of intimacy was her issue and not lack of a future or intimacy with Him.    If Sheldon were to jump on the dating bandwagon, then all of his phobias and hang ups that caused his relationship with Amy to move so slowly would be moot.   He couldn't do these things with her, but suddenly he can do these things with someone else to make her jealous.   How is that productive?   Amy would be extremely insulted and hurt.    Coming up with stories to make Amy jealous, which she sees through is one thing, but to actually do it would damage the relationship forever.   If Sheldon were to see Amy even kissing another man, by her own will, I don't think he could ever touch her again.   It is IC for him to see it as a betrayal and her as being tainted.    I believe, Amy's innocence is what makes it easier for him to consider breaking down his germ-phobe barriers for her knowing she has never been with another man.   Lose that, and it is over for him.   I don't think he could get past that.  

This is why I maintain that there is only him for her and her for him, otherwise it is definitely over, at least in the minds of the Shamy shippers.

I used to watch BH 90210 and loved the dynamic between Donna and David.   She saved herself for him, but then once she gave it up to him, she was giving it so easily to any man that caught her fancy.   It ruined her character for me.  I was glad they reconciled in the end, but it was not the same.  

I hope the writers won't go there where they've used Sheldon and Amy to pull each other out of their closets so-to-speak where they end up carrying on their with others what should only be between them, and them only.    The writers are walking a very delicate line here.   The way they handle this break up could either make or break Shamy forever.   

I learn so much new vocabulary reading these forums.   I had to look up the term priori.   Good choice of words.

I am agreement with you, if they drag this break up out too long, then it is does not justify the way the break up occurred.   Instead of it being the result of a reaction to frustration, misunderstanding, and miscommunication, it becomes about something deeper.  This is completely OOC for Shamy whose strong suits have always been communication and negotiation.   My biggest fear is what are the writers going to do with Amy and Sheldon in the interim.

If they have either one of them experimenting with dating other people (out of their own choice) then the writers are turning against and being hypocritical to the Shamy dynamic they've spent 5 years having us fall in love with.   Dating others would make Amy seem like she just wants attention and romance, and not that she wanted these things only from Sheldon.  That would indeed prove to Sheldon that lack of intimacy was her issue and not lack of a future or intimacy with Him.    If Sheldon were to jump on the dating bandwagon, then all of his phobias and hang ups that caused his relationship with Amy to move so slowly would be moot.   He couldn't do these things with her, but suddenly he can do these things with someone else to make her jealous.   How is that productive?   Amy would be extremely insulted and hurt.    Coming up with stories to make Amy jealous, which she sees through is one thing, but to actually do it would damage the relationship forever.   If Sheldon were to see Amy even kissing another man, by her own will, I don't think he could ever touch her again.   It is IC for him to see it as a betrayal and her as being tainted.    I believe, Amy's innocence is what makes it easier for him to consider breaking down his germ-phobe barriers for her knowing she has never been with another man.   Lose that, and it is over for him.   I don't think he could get past that.  

This is why I maintain that there is only him for her and her for him, otherwise it is definitely over, at least in the minds of the Shamy shippers.

I used to watch BH 90210 and loved the dynamic between Donna and David.   She saved herself for him, but then once she gave it up to him, she was giving it so easily to any man that caught her fancy.   It ruined her character for me.  I was glad they reconciled in the end, but it was not the same.  

I hope the writers won't go there where they've used Sheldon and Amy to pull each other out of their closets so-to-speak where they end up carrying on their with others what should only be between them, and them only.    The writers are walking a very delicate line here.   The way they handle this break up could either make or break Shamy forever.   

Another great post jenafan! I completely agree with everything.

this is brilliant (and your previous post was also this)! Bang on girl :) (I too learn so many new words it's crazy)

Well, I'm seriously considering not watching the show for the moment.

I know you're going to say: but they are only Taping Reports, it's not the real show. But I don't know how to explain it, probably because there are things I don't want to watch, or because my past experience showed me that when I had a bad impression on a TR, I was right, but here it is: I don't want to  watch episodes 1 and 2 because they sound awful and I'm sick of the Big Baby ( even though I love Sheldon ), and my impressions about episode 3 are not great neither, even if  I really want to watch the boy's part, the girls' part bothers me.

I think I'm going to wait until I KNOW there is a reconciliation, maybe the fact that I know when and how they reconcile is going to make it less painful.

I see where you're coming from, what with hearing about the TR and then being right. I was thinking of just waiting to and know for a fact that they reconcile before watching S9 but I guess that takes that experience out of seeing what happens and the feelings that come with it. But then again there's feelings that occur when you know everything's gonna be fine. I think us Shamys deep down know they'll be ok in the end but there's always that worry they won't. It'll work itself out. Don't give up! :)

Yes it would be nice if Sheldon was a bit kinder towards Amy at least. But without losing his fundamental personality of course. Then it would just become a flowery fanfiction :nono:

EXACTLY. Let's not take away the meaning behind fanfics and make it cannon. No l one wants that.

I watched the D & D episode last night , it's was shown here in the UK.

I miss our lovely couple :( 

yay another Brit!! I watched it to grinning from ear to ear trying to not let my parents see haha. I miss the Shamy so much it hurts!

To those in the UK

On Monday E4 is showing shamy episodes from 12pm for about 6 hours

well that's my Bank Holiday over with.....YAY!!

(Sorry for the long post!)

Edited by Amy Fowler

Great post. 

For me personally, it's not the fact of someone saving themselves for someone else, although obviously Shamy kind of comes across like that, as I don't believe that intimacy is special only if it's reserved for one person in one's life. There's a lot more at play than that. To me, in the case of Shamy, it's just that it's such an inherent part of their story, not just in terms of sexuality, but of everything: the fact that they had been outcasts their whole lives and once they met each other they started experiencing all these things for the first time, from friendship, to finding someone who really gets them, to romantic love to intimacy. To me Shamy wouldn't be ruined just if they go get physical with someone else, but even if, like we said, Amy just started dating around trying to find a new boyfriend because she wants to. Again, I know people say that's cruel because there's nothing wrong with wanting a relationship, but this is fiction. There's a message to be sent, and if Amy looks elsewhere that means that, like you said, it's not about Sheldon awakening desires she never thought she'd have and making her want things she never thought she'd want, but it's just about those things and whoever can provide them will do. And yeah, maybe Sheldon is better because he's more at her intellectual level, but that's it. He's replaceable. And I hate that.

One thing I never thought of though, and that you brought up is that indeed Amy's innocence in a way must be reassuring for Sheldon because there's that level of understanding between them that they're both inexperienced and learning together. And for Sheldon in particular, with all his phobias and obsessions, this must be particularly reassuring. If he knew she's getting more than she ever got from him from another man, that would crush him. To look at someone who is able to just give her everything he worked so hard to give her in a couple of weeks would be devastating to his psyche. Knowing he was not good enough. To be honest, I'm pretty sure that no matter what happens they would never have Sheldon date anybody else. It's Amy I worry about. And to get them this far together, so late in the game, only to have Amy go off and try someone else would make me feel like I don't even know what I just spent the last 5 years watching. 

You guys have really made me smile, all these super arguments for why this break can't last long are logical and are what's in my head too, you guys just worded better than I ever could.

I keep thinking if that's how we all perceive Sheldon and Amy's relationship then that's because the writers want us to view it in this way, that's why they made them so unique and perfect for each other and only each other, it's why they made them slowly get to where they were in season 8 to let us see all their progress individually and as a couple. Therefore it makes them so unique that they are incomparable to anyone else or any other couple - this makes me believe the writers will handle this in a way only suitable for that pair. 

Now please writers let's wrap this up and get to the point !!!!!!.

Wonderful post! Especially the "dating other people" part. I like that you pointed out Sheldon's germ phobia, because frankly, it seems to be like people are frequently overlooking it. It is huge issue and Amy's not being touched by another man is one of crucial things that allows him to slowly let his guard down in intimacy. Can't see him, after kissing someone, or God forbid more, to touch her again. If we too take in account what betrayal that would be for him, that's damage beyond repair IMO. 

It's like you've said in the bold line. Now, we're on really thin line, it's a turning point when writers will set the character of this relationship from now on. It can go terribly wrong, and it can be good. All we can do now is wait, in fashion of every warrior before decisive battle, I have to say, waiting is the worst part! ;)

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that no matter what happens they would never have Sheldon date anybody else. It's Amy I worry about. And to get them this far together, so late in the game, only to have Amy go off and try someone else would make me feel like I don't even know what I just spent the last 5 years watching. 

I am in the same boat with you, koops.  I am worried about where Amy is at in all this.  

All the attention has been on how Sheldon is feeling and handling all this, but Amy's side is still a mystery.    She is not avoiding Sheldon, but she is not seeking to lessen the space between them either.   She has shown some resistance to the break up by not calling her Mom, changing her FB status, etc.       Regarding her feelings, mum's the word.   Seeing how she considered overhauling her wardrobe but then changed her mind, leads me to wonder if she is caught between staying true to herself and her feelings and the need to rebel.

While Amy can stand her ground on some things, she has been shown to give into the persuasion of her friends, particularly Penny.   I see her embracing change as a way of focusing more on herself, but I can also see her doing and trying things, like dating, because that is what others think she should do rather than it being what she wants to do.   She has never experienced a break up before, particularly one of her own doing, and I am sure she is extremely confused on where to go from here.

You are right that just because a relationship fails does not mean that someone should be doomed to not try again with someone else.   However, this is fiction, and I just hope beyond hope that the writers don't have Amy give up on Sheldon and head in that direction.   To have spent the past 5 years of having Sheldon expose his human-side on behalf of this woman, who has stood by his side through thick and thin, and then waste it by having him lose her for good, would be a betrayal of both characters and to the viewers.   IMHO.

Do I believe the writers will go there?  No.   However, until the reconciliation happens, I feel the need to vent about my concerns just incase they do decide to do something crazy.

Edited by jenafan

I am sure this has been asked before a million times.    Do you think the writers actually read this stuff we write?     They must know what the fans want.

I don't think they do. They might be aware of the existence of these forums but I doubt they read them. And Bill has said multiple times on twitter that they are not legally allowed to take ideas from fans. I think they know what the fans want but they have always done as they pleased and never succumbed to fan pressure. I gotta respect them for that even though I desperately wanna see the ideas of some people here come to life on the show :icon_cheesygrin: 

Edited by Luna18

I don't think they do. They might be aware of the existence of these forums but I doubt they read them. And Bill has said multiple times on twitter that they are not legally allowed to take ideas from fans. The writers have always done as they pleased and never succumbed to fan pressure. I gotta respect them for that even though I desperately wanna see the ideas of some people here come to life on the show :icon_cheesygrin: 

Thank you for the info, Luna.    That explains all the fan fiction.    There are a lot of people out there with some really good ideas.

In general the writers have done a good job, but they do cause disappointment as well.   However, like Sheldon, I am in it for the long haul, even if the quality declines :girlhospital:watching a couple we know belong together be together.

Edited by jenafan

Thank you for the info, Luna.    That explains all the fan fiction.    There are a lot of people out there with some really good ideas.

In general the writers have done a good job, but they do cause disappointment as well.   However, like Sheldon, I am in it for the long haul, even if the quality declines :girlhospital:watching a couple get back together that we know belong together.

The number of fans who never face any kind of disappointment with any show is very small ;) I for one am most looking to how they are post-reconciliation. I wish to see them go back to being the quirky, arrogant couple we all know and love but slightly sweeter and more affectionate. 

I'm not exactly like Sheldon though. If things get too crazy or OOC then I will definitively stop watching and I sincerely hope with all my heart that it will never come to that. I'd also be terribly disappointed if they pulled off a twist ending instead of giving these characters a heart-warming send-off after 10 or more years. 

Above all else, I just want my lovelies to be happy and together again. Preferably by episode 7 or 8 at the latest. If it happens sooner then all the better! :icon_razz:

I am sure this has been asked before a million times.    Do you think the writers actually read this stuff we write?     They must know what the fans want.

Maybe not here, but S8 was definitely the "fanfiction-like" season. We had the Prom, the ILY, the quirky arrogant couple and even the break-up seemed to be extracted directly from fanfiction (except that in fanfiction, It almost always ends up M rated...). And except the completly WTF finale, I enjoyed the previous season wholeheartedly. One of the best with S5.

When I watch I don't really think at prdpb.
Sometime I'm a little bit anxious about romance questions and issues. Like I think that Shamy is a very long during approach, I find it unrealist, but in the case of re-run, and seasons melt, it doesn't appear really in my country.
The unsexy look of Amy can only hurt fashion designers.

Edited by Cécile Dull