The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

I can respect that is the way you feel. We don't always get what we want with sitcoms, you may want Shamy's story to go one way and I may want it to go another way. At the end of the day it's all up to tptb. If I was truly unhappy with the story the writer's are telling I would stop watching. This isn't the first ship I've had to endure angst for and I'm sure it won't be the last.

If this goes on for a while I will probably slowly back away from the show.  I do watch the show for reasons other than Shamy, so I likely won't give it up all together unless I become unhappy with everything.  But if I no longer find enjoyment Shamy, then I will just won't care so much what happens with them.  If they get back together and get married, blah blah blah, it may elicit a smile, but the feels I currently have for these two will likely be gone.

• Like 2

adding we started out 8 with Sheldon's fear was failing for Amy..and based off this latest admission he feels he has.  So Sheldon's broken and I don't think he'll regress at all, I think in 2-3 episodes he'll do something big for her, just for her, completely selfless!

And what is Amy going to do?Tap her foot waiting impatiently?

• Like 3

I have been pretty clear that Amy needs work too and I hope by E7 that is explored. She doesnt see how far he has come for her. She was too close to it. And I am hopeful something will get her really missing him and appreciate him for who he is...not somebody she dreams he could be. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

I can respect that is the way you feel. We don't always get what we want with sitcoms, you may want Shamy's story to go one way and I may want it to go another way. At the end of the day it's all up to tptb. If I was truly unhappy with the story the writer's are telling I would stop watching. This isn't the first ship I've had to endure angst for and I'm sure it won't be the last.

In all honesty while everything went all "roses and rainbows" for  Shamy in season 8, I kinda felt "so what will happen now?" for them, and it's not me wanting them to get married soon. It's more "so what will happen to their relationship when all of these roses and rainbows are gone?" because I still didn't find them suitable to be married even after The Colonization Application.

If I wanted a fairy tale-like romance, I'll go watch Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Yes I picked Snow White because that was Amy's Disney princess makeover.

Edited by Chelle
  • Like 3

Thank you!!! Finally someone agrees with me yay =) 
You know what come to think of it you're probably right... I mean i still think it's very scary for Amy to talk about it cause she's never felt too attractive, and she's been rejected by him before, and i think even all this physical semi-progress that happened in season 8 is only so much reassuring to her.. I think she needs some reassuranse from the side first, and then maybe she can find courage to talk to him and be honest about it. Like, i don't know , maybe Penny tells her (after talking with Sheldon/getting some hints and UNDERSTANDING them, cause at least Penny is socially smart there thank god ) that Amy's wrong , and she's 100% sure he is ready to move forward with intimacy, and she just needs to confront him about it, and maybe Amy will listen to Penny and talk to him.. Or somethng like that. But you're right, she needs to tell him what it is that she wants.. But i do believe she needs some reassuranse from the side first, I don't blame her for being so insecure.

Well I don't think it comes from Amy not feeling too attractive. This is a fanfic trope I want to see die with fire because Amy thinks she's smoaking hot. But Amy is a virgin in her first romantic relationship, so of course, she's unsure what the protocol is in these kind of relationships. And, people tend to forget it because she's often written as the straight man in her relationship with Sheldon, but she is like him and she can't read a room or people. I mean, Amy is the person who tried to console Bernadette by asking her if she wanted to have sex with her cousin to get back at Howard. Amy can't read people, so chances are she doesn't understand that Sheldon leaning in for another kiss means he desires her. 

But I'm with you on Penny's involvement. My dream resolution for the 8x24 mess always involved Penny. I wanted her to sit Amy down and tell her that when a guy kisses you like Sheldon kisses her, with his hands on your thigh and/or hips, it means he wants you bad. I wanted her to sit Sheldon down and tell him that Amy needs to be reassured, because as things currently stand, she's not sure if Sheldon enjoys making out with her and she's worried he's only doing it to make her happy, which is just heartbreakingly sad. I wanted Penny to keep on being Shamy's #1 fangirl, I wanted her to lock them in a closet and force them to just TALK about sex, "because honestly you two will debate for hours about what kind of tea is better but you won't just flat out ask or tell the other where you're standing on regarding sex." But instead we got a Penny that made a mess by telling Sheldon Amy thinks he's a bad boyfriend (and I truly belive/hope this was Penny just rephrasing things), and a Penny that tries to convince Amy her life is ahead of her now. I just hate this.

• Like 5

If this goes on for a while I will probably slowly back away from the show.  I do watch the show for reasons other than Shamy, so I likely won't give it up all together unless I become unhappy with everything.  But if I no longer find enjoyment Shamy, then I will just won't care so much what happens with them.  If they get back together and get married, blah blah blah, it may elicit a smile, but the feels I currently have for these two will likely be gone.

I can certainly understand why people are feeling frustrated. I also feel frustrated or confused about how the break up is being handled. I mean there's just so many unanswered questions. I'm just waiting to see how it all plays out and holding on faithfully. If it ever got to a point where I didn't believe in the direction of where Shamy was headed, I would pull back from the show and become a casual viewer. Unless there break was permanent, then I'm done with the show. Lenny's married now, Howardette is stagnant and idk what they are doing with Raj/Emily.

Edited by loriparis80
  • Like 1

So, with E4 are you returning to spoiler free status or will you continue to join the cool kids?

I am staying spoiled.

• Like 3

No she's going to keep quiet and hope he develops mind reading capabilities. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

I'm sad for Sheldon. But, in a way, it is fine to see how he lives the situation and that he miss Amy (even if it is obvious). And that Amy doesn't denigrate him.

I don't want too many episodes before they come back together but then I remember, here it is only the fourth episode.

I wait and hope for an episode when they could talk about their relationship and understand they nearly want the same things.

• Like 2

I'm sad for Sheldon. But, in a way, it is fine to see how he lives the situation and that he miss Amy (even if it is obvious). And that Amy doesn't denigrate him.

I don't want too many episodes before they come back together but then I remember, here it is only the fourth episode.

I wait and hope for an episode when they could talk about their relationship and understand they nearly want the same things.

I'd be very surprised if they do talk to resolve whatever this is as we're only seeing Sheldon's side of things and Amy's just his prop. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Random thoughts: up to now, I'm very sad for Sheldon, but I think the writers maintained him really IC, I was thinking (and fearing) a sort of regression for him to his unemotional robotic mood, from the very beginning. The fact that it doesn't last more than 3/4 of an episode, is comforting;  as some of you said, he can't come back from his emotional life now, and he is starting to understand that there were problems between him and Amy (her marrying a better man). He is not denying any more the fact that Amy has some issue with him. Now what I want to see is Amy speaking with him about those issues and, eventually, Sheldon sharing  his issues with her...What continues to be missing is Amy POV, we don't really know what she feels right now. I'm happy that she took his side and recognized some of his merits in their relationship (even if, as I understand, they were just the intellectual ones) with Bernadette. By the way, I hate so much how Bernie always makes fun of Amy's feelings towards Sheldon, like if she can replace a pale wirdo with another one without problems. I know it was a joke and probably I'll lough when I will see it, but Bernadette behavior on this subject is a constant of the show from the very beginning.

I don't like the "new" living arrangements (since for the growth of Lenny couple and of Sheldon it would be better for them to be apart) and I feel that, since the writers have created this "new" set up, they will explore it for a while, it can provide lots of fun (and that's undeniable...); so from my POV the break up will last longer than 5-8 episodes (as long as Sheldon and Amy are together, he will be not sad anymore, so Lenny will not feel guilty and will move). On the other hand, I  understand some the writers' reasons. Apart from their fear for change (see Season 8 ), there isn't much comedy in the long run in Sheldon alone and sad in one apartment and the happy couple in the other (of course, I'm sure Lenny will disagree, and I get their POV, too...if I were in them now I will be just screaming). Moreover, the spare room in 4A may be a writing problem, since the writers  could feel forced to fill it with another character or having, for example, Stuart living with Sheldon, which would have been the most natural solution for H&B&S, ruining their plot for the season.  This setting provides much more flexibility and can be changed, if necessary, very quickly.

Finally, a question: how many of you think that in the next future Penny will find the ring? 

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 3

Aww yes, there's nothing like the smell of this whole thread going through various stages of grief in the morning as I'm having a cup of coffee and try to catch up with the news from the latest taping! hehe

Anyway, first impressions:

- yay living arrangements are finally addressed! not too happy about the back-pedalling at the end but whatever. baby steps! and as others have pointed out this could just be to end the ep on a less depressing note and never really be an issue again. who knows.

- Sheldon reaches the depression state and feels all alone? high fives all around, fellow Shamys, we've been spot on with our speculations weeks ago! ha!

- I love that Amy defends Sheldon! it was on someone's wish list the other day so hooray for that happening sooner than later!! <3

- I also quite like that Sheldon asks Amy to move in with him but also that she turns him down. yeah, I know, I know, how mean. admittedly without an in-depth report or having seen the scene it's hard to make a proper judgement here but it tells me that on one hand he hasn't given up and on the other that Amy won't be swayed by something convenient like that. it just wouldn't be the right moment nor the right reason.

- also, with the Room Mate Agreement being brought up here it tells me that the writers haven't forgotten about the paperwork. so there has to be something coming up with the Relationship Agreement at some point, right? RIGHT?? (correct me if I'm wrong but there hasn't been a peep about it beyond that off-hand mention on ep3)

All in all I'm excited with the development so far! :D

• Like 9

Random thoughts: up to now, I'm very sad for Sheldon, but I think the writers maintained him really IC, I was thinking (and fearing) a sort of regression for him to his unemotional robotic mood, from the very beginning. The fact that it doesn't last more than 3/4 of an episode, is comforting;  as some of you said, he can't come back from his emotional life now, and he is starting to understand that there were problems between him and Amy (her marrying a better man). He is not denying any more the fact that Amy has some issue with him. Now what I want to see is Amy speaking with him about those issues and, eventually, Sheldon sharing  his issues with her...What continues to be missing is Amy POV, we don't really know what she feels right now. I'm happy that she took his side and recognized some of his merits in their relationship (even if, as I understand, they were just the intellectual ones) with Bernadette. By the way, I hate so much how Bernie always makes fun of Amy's feelings towards Sheldon, like if she can replace a pale wirdo with another one without problems. I know it was a joke and probably I'll lough when I will see it, but Bernadette behavior on this subject is a constant of the show from the very beginning.

I don't like the "new" living arrangements (since for the growth of Lenny couple and of Sheldon it would be better for them to be apart) and I feel that, since the writers have created this "new" set up, they will explore it for a while, it can provide lots of fun (and that's undeniable...); so from my POV the break up will last longer than 5-8 episodes (as long as Sheldon and Amy are together, he will be not sad anymore, so Lenny will not feel guilty and will move). On the other hand, I  understand some the writers' reasons. Apart from their fear for change (see Season 8 ), there isn't much comedy in the long run in Sheldon alone and sad in one apartment and the happy couple in the other (of course, I'm sure Lenny will disagree, and I get their POV, too...if I were in them now I will be just screaming). Moreover, the spare room in 4A may be a writing problem, since the writers  could feel forced to fill it with another character or having, for example, Stuart living with Sheldon, which would have been the most natural solution for H&B&S, ruining their plot for the season.  This setting provides much more flexibility and can be changed, if necessary, very quickly.

Finally, a question: how many of you think that in the next future Penny will find the ring? 

That's my gripe as well: where in the world is Amy's POV? I am more concerned about getting her POV than this break-up angst. I want to know what is going on inside my homegirl's mind. I want to know how she is dealing with this on her own, and not how their break up is always brought up by Penny and Bernadette.

While I get that they're going to try milking the comedy of Lenny living with Sheldon in 4A, the new living arrangement is passe to me. Because of the Shamy breakup the writers decided to forego the 4A hangouts altogether. 4A would have been a nice setting for the boys to hang out again, talking about stuff over a game of cards, and mention how Sheldon is holding up about the breakup. I am eager to see the social group have dinner WITHOUT Amy, just to gauge how Sheldon will behave over an activity he shared with her and his friends over a long time. Maybe having Stuart sleepover at 4A will be ok in one plot but NOT in a permanent setting.

I WOULDN'T LIKE IT IT SOMEONE ELSE FINDS OUT ABOUT SHELDON'S RING. I don't expect to see the ring (physically) for some time, but leave it as something just between Sheldon and Amy.Leave it as some sort of like invisible force between them.

• Like 2

As I explained the details of the new taping to my fiance, he said off-handedly "ah, baby steps" - and I realised how right he is. More right than he knows.

The whole Shamy relationship has been built on a series of baby steps, so why are we all expecting their resolution to be a quick fix? This is their first big break up and it's going to take a while for them to move through it.

I really hope the next Shamy focussed episode openly discusses Amy's side of the argument. I disagree with those who say it hasn't been said at all, because I feel like it's a read-between-the-lines situation. By seeing how annoying Sheldon has been and the mistakes he is making in his attempts to win Amy back, we're inadvertantly seeing why she wanted a break in the first place.

• Like 6

A read-between-the-lines situation would be fine and dandy if they had dropped some clues along the way, but as it is everyone is basically guessing what is up. And for the casual viewer a read-between-the-lines is no good what so ever. And why have the breakup happen so quickly and then revert back to baby steps? To me it seems to be nothing but stalling the plot. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

As I explained the details of the new taping to my fiance, he said off-handedly "ah, baby steps" - and I realised how right he is. More right than he knows.

The whole Shamy relationship has been built on a series of baby steps, so why are we all expecting their resolution to be a quick fix? This is their first big break up and it's going to take a while for them to move through it.

I really hope the next Shamy focussed episode openly discusses Amy's side of the argument. I disagree with those who say it hasn't been said at all, because I feel like it's a read-between-the-lines situation. By seeing how annoying Sheldon has been and the mistakes he is making in his attempts to win Amy back, we're inadvertantly seeing why she wanted a break in the first place.

Please enlighten me, what does she want?
And not vague things like "time".

• Like 3

Please enlighten me, what does she want?
And not vague things like "time".

I'd like to know too. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Please enlighten me, what does she want?And not vague things like "time".

I'd like to know too. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

My interpretation is that she wants Sheldon to vocalise that he wants her, that he desires her in every single way emotionally and physically. She doesn't want him to go out of his way to harass her and embarrass her until they return to their relationship's status quo, like he has been doing. She just wants him to realise he can't take her for granted and that she deserves to be treated like an equal, like a girlfriend, like a partner. Things have always been skewed in Sheldon's favour, and I think ultimately Amy just wants things to shift to a more central point and to know he loves her as much as she loves him.

And, of course, she does need time to think and Sheldon needs to respect that, which he hasn't been.
Almost every method Sheldon has used during Season 9 has been noted by many people in this forum to be the wrong move, mean or just inappropriate - those comments followed up with many of those people saying they can see why Amy is mad. So we are still getting an idea of why she asked for a break initially even if it's not said outright.

That's just my opinion, and I'm sure you'll disagree, but it is my opinion nevertheless.

• Like 8

A read-between-the-lines situation would be fine and dandy if they had dropped some clues along the way, but as it is everyone is basically guessing what is up. And for the casual viewer a read-between-the-lines is no good what so ever. And why have the breakup happen so quickly and then revert back to baby steps? To me it seems to be nothing but stalling the plot. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm of two minds on this:

On one hand I do agree that we need an episode exploring Amy's pov. From what I gathered from the TRs she doesn't get that many scenes that allow to show her side of things beyond a few vague comments. Like, for example, her saying "she's concentrating on herself" (or sth along those lines) in 9x03. What does that even mean? We don't know but I'd sure love to hear more about it!

On the other hand I do think they handled the break up -so far anyway- in a plausible way in terms of characterisation and sequence of events. I mean, I'd be more frustrated if they were still hanging in this post 8x24 vagueness of "taking a step back" but the writers did make a point by escalating the conflict in 9x01 and 9x02. Amy has been pushed too far by his rude behaviour. She has told him as much point blank when she made the break and his misguided attempts to get a reaction from her served to illustrate how frustrating he can be. All in all this does paint a comprehensible scenario and I have no doubt that this'll work for casual viewers. One doesn't need to read between the lines to get the big picture here.

Looking at how things are I'd say what so far we got mostly the broad strokes that narratively justify the break up. Over the years we've seen Amy being frustrated with various aspects of their relationship. They usually managed to work things out but every person has a breaking point and Amy has reached hers by 9x01 (I'd argue she wasn't quite there in 8x24 but 9x01 definitely pushed her over the edge). We also see her being angry at Sheldon's obnoxious shenanigans and she has expressed on several occasions that she needs time to process everything for herself. What we also got though is that she's not completely done with him. She's had second thoughts in 9x01, was sentimental about their time together in 9x02, was hesitant to tell others about the break up in 9x03 and now is defending him in 9x04. If the writers continue down this road I would imagine that within the next few episodes she'll have some sort of realisation about what she wants and hopefully she'll find a way to vocalize that towards Sheldon so that they'll finally have their talk.

• Like 3

Ladies and gents, I think mirs1 hit on the reason Lenny is moving in with Sheldon, hence the road to Shamy reconciliation. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

major congratulations! I saw your post count elsewhere was at 999 and wonder where your 1,000 was gonna be. I'm glad it was here!

Excuse me while I disengage from life and stare at that pic *daydreams*

Thank you!  You always come back home :)

I so understand you, it was hard to pick one, since there's so much that says it all. I was dreaming for quite a time :icon_biggrin: 

Carlos yeah, that was a coincidence. Thank you for pointing that out, that's really interesting point ;) "Caution" sign seems like a message for us!

Edited by tallin
  • Like 2

My interpretation is that she wants Sheldon to vocalise that he wants her, that he desires her in every single way emotionally and physically. She doesn't want him to go out of his way to harass her and embarrass her until they return to their relationship's status quo, like he has been doing. She just wants him to realise he can't take her for granted and that she deserves to be treated like an equal, like a girlfriend, like a partner. Things have always been skewed in Sheldon's favour, and I think ultimately Amy just wants things to shift to a more central point and to know he loves her as much as she loves him.
And, of course, she does need time to think and Sheldon needs to respect that, which he hasn't been.
Almost every method Sheldon has used during Season 9 has been noted by many people in this forum to be the wrong move, mean or just inappropriate - those comments followed up with many of those people saying they can see why Amy is mad. So we are still getting an idea of why she asked for a break initially even if it's not said outright.

That's just my opinion, and I'm sure you'll disagree, but it is my opinion nevertheless.

So she wants someone he isn't.

He does desire her in both ways, but he will never be able (but not unwilling) to show her.

• Like 2

So she wants someone he isn't.

He does desire her in both ways, but he will never be able (but not unwilling) to show her.

I agree he'll never be able to show her no matter he does desire her and as such they'd both better of not getting back together. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk