The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Ladies and gents, I think mirs1 hit on the reason Lenny is moving in with Sheldon, hence the road to Shamy reconciliation. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't see it that way. For me it's just Lenny playing surrogate parents to the boy who won't grow up. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

This is making me sad again... if the writers wanted us to hit rock bottom before they reconnect this is it. I can't understand why the hell he'd think Amy would marry someone else. It's like hes hit a petulant child phase: thinking someones gonna o something their not, wanting Lenny cradling him back to happiness. It's silly. Sheldon needs to put the head of his straight, go talk to his little lady, woo her like crazy, they can move on, Lenny can move forward and everyones happy again. Enough with the drama. I watch soaps for that sh*t.

I wish Amy had said yes to moving in. So many fanfic scenarios would happen and it would be beautiful.

Thanks for the info again you tape night beauties!

Edited by Amy Fowler

I know im in the minority, but i will still say my opinion :hide :p

I think we dont have to worry... I think writers are only doing all cause they love Shamy, and like they said on some panel regarding the question about whether Shamy are ever gonna consummate their relationship, "we are fascinated with their relationship, and we want to see it grow"

Sheldon is in a situation now where he has to mature in a way that wasn't possible for him before (even in happy love-filled season 8). And i think the fact that he WANTS to (half-heartedly) go back to his emotionless life, but can't, just proves that the change in him is solid...

He is still child at heart in many ways though, i think, and very vulnerable, that's why he's asking for Lenny's support, he's not ready yet AT ALL to 'man up' and be completely alone & process it... I don't think he's using Lenny as babysitters/parents, more like a support system to help him deal with this overwhelming situation (there's much more change than in the end of season 7, and he's not running away, he's processing it staying there, what more do you want from him guys?? he needs to have some support system! give him a break :) )

And i don't think it's unclear what Amy wants from him... She's stated it many, many times. She wants a normal physical relationship, she wants him to make her his priority. Just because she's hesitating he could ever give her these things, doesn't mean she doesn't think he's brilliant or amazing or respect him or admire him.

Very well said. 

I think she is using her "bag of tricks" again to move him forward.   This is hard for her to watch this happening to him because she loves him, but she feels it must be done.     I think she is fully aware that she is taking a risk, but before Sheldon completely snaps beyond repair, she will swoop in for the rescue.  

I know it sounds extremely manipulative, but she knows Sheldon better than anyone, and he is not going to grow without feeling some pain, first.  He is resisting and trying to hang on to his childish behavior.   It is not going to work this time.

On one hand, I hate her for what she is doing to him, but on the other hand ,I understand why she is doing it and why it is justified.

By his own indirect admission to Penny, he wants to marry her.   I think we finally have our answer, there.  The problem is, that he is still treating Amy as an afterthought to keep him comfortable rather than a priority where he considers her needs as well as his own. 

• Like 2

So she wants someone he isn't.

He does desire her in both ways, but he will never be able (but not unwilling) to show her.

I've been agreeing a lot with you lately, but this isn't one of those times.

Saying Sheldon will never be able to show her he desires her is just wrong. I think, in his own way, he already has. I mean, we've all seen him leaning back in for more kissing. We know he's pestering her about children. He calls her a vixen, a hotsy totsy. He literally told her she was so hot he had a panic attack. I think Sheldon is trying to show her. The problem is that Amy isn't understanding the message. She focuses on Sheldon talking about the Flash rather than Sheldon wanting to kiss her. 

Amy wanting Sheldon to be more traditionally lovey dovey would be perhaps her asking him to be something he is not, but Amy wanting Sheldon to tell her he wants her wouldn't, imho. Now, as I was saying to the girls this morning, I'm very cautious about how that will happen. I hope Shamy won't have sex for at least six months after they get back together, because it would leave a weird taste in my mouth, kinda like Sheldon only makes love to her so she doesn't leave him again. We need to see them enjoy each other's company again before Sheldon (it has to come from Sheldon) tells her he's ready. Otherwise it'll just look like a desperate way to keep her forever, which is absolutely unhealthy.

• Like 7

The thing that bothers me the most is that back when we had the SF we knew Amy was only asking for a break. We knew what she wanted, we knew she was still hoping that Sheldon did something to win her back, but now there's this big nothing. Amy doesn't want anything, she's not waiting for anything. Sheldon has clearly no idea what to do. He's just dreading the day Amy will marry someone else. 

No one is actively doing anything for them to get back together. 

Edited by pisquenta
  • Like 8

Very well said. 

I think she is using her "bag of tricks" again to move him forward.   This is hard for her to watch this happening to him because she loves him, but she feels it must be done.     I think she is fully aware that she is taking a risk, but before Sheldon completely snaps beyond repair, she will swoop in for the rescue.  

I know it sounds extremely manipulative, but she knows Sheldon better than anyone, and he is not going to grow without feeling some pain, first.  He is resisting and trying to hang on to his childish behavior.   It is not going to work this time.

On one hand, I hate her for what she is doing to him, but on the other hand ,I understand why she is doing it and why it is justified.

By his own indirect admission to Penny, he wants to marry her.   I think we finally have our answer, there.  The problem is, that he is still treating Amy as an afterthought to keep him comfortable rather than a priority where he considers her needs as well as his own. 

If she was using her 'bag of tricks' to push him on than that would indicate forethought and pre-planning, but the actual breakup didn't happen that way. She lost her temper with him and than seemed to regret it after. So I dont see this as some kind of grand scheme of hers to push him forward. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Why would you think that? I mean, we're talking about the guy who started out as having zero interest in romance but fast forward a couple of years and he beats his girlfriend to the punch by confessing his love for her. He may be too hesitant or subtle or just unusual with his displays of affection but that doesn't mean that he'll never be able to show her how much he wants her.

Because that's not Sheldon.

Sheldon did say ILY to her, but you saw how diificult it was for him. And now it turns out that's apparently not enough for her.

So no matter what Sheldon will do within his possibilities, it will never be enough.

If Amy truelly loves him, she would see and recognize his ways where he showed that he loves her.

• Like 3

If she was using her 'bag of tricks' to push him on than that would indicate forethought and pre-planning, but the actual breakup didn't happen that way. She lost her temper with him and than seemed to regret it after. So I dont see this as some kind of grand scheme of hers to push him forward. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Perhaps the grand scheme didn't occur to her until after she broke up with him as a result of his pushing her.    This would also explain why she is not telling anyone what is going on with her.   She is keeping it close to the vest so as not to "taint" her experiment.

Very well said. 

I'm hoping this initially was Amy's POV cause it would make sense. That would then be a reason for the stepping back but not necessarily a full on break up. It's like a nasty experiment in a way, maybe she just wanted time apart to see what it would do to him but then she snapped, full on end it and now it's all gone horribly wrong and she doesn't know how to fix it.. It is mean but be cruel to be kind I guess... It breaks my heart to see them both hurting this bad. Just wish Sheldon would get his finger out of his arse and DO something instead of sulking and being childish. 

• Like 2

I wish Amy had said yes to moving in. So many fanfic scenarios would happen and it would be beautiful.

Even if I thought the living arrangement would have been a good opportunity to Sheldon and Amy to live together, here in only the 4th episode, in this situation, it was not the good time. It is logical she refuses.

But I hope for later in this season when Lenny really leave. Here, I understand they stay for him, because Sheldon is vulnerable with the break up.

Edited by CentralPerk

I'm not bothered by the whole living arrangements with Lenny and Sheldon. Penny was sad because Sheldon's suffering, she would've said anything to make him happy. They'll still spend most of the day with Sheldon, but they'll sleep in their own apartment and Sheldon will probably never know.

• Like 2

Perhaps the grand scheme didn't occur to her until after she broke up with him as a result of his pushing her.    This would also explain why she is not telling anyone what is going on with her.   She is keeping it close to the vest so as not to "taint" her experiment.

I think she's keeping quiet because she doesn't know herself what she wants and is wondering how on earth she has gotten into the situation she is now in. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Because that's not Sheldon.

Sheldon did say ILY to her, but you saw how diificult it was for him. And now it turns out that's apparently not enough for her.

So no matter what Sheldon will do within his possibilities, it will never be enough.

If Amy truelly loves him, she would see and recognize his ways where he showed that he loves her.

Oh c'mon, have some faith here! Yes, this is a difficult topic for Sheldon - but impossible? Nah! He's been getting over his fears and shown his feelings for her time and time again. I really don't see how after all this simply telling her what he wants in an honest conversation is somehow completely out of reach for him. They've done this before, they can do this again!

• Like 3

Even if I thought the living arrangement would have been a good opportunity to Sheldon and Amy to live together, here in only the 4th episode, in this situation, it was not the good time. It is logical she refuses.

But I hope for later in this season when Lenny really leave. Here, I understand they stay for him, because Sheldon is vulnerable with the break up.

Oh totally I was just joking :laugh:. She did make the right choice, however hard that might have been for her.

Oh c'mon, have some faith here! Yes, this is a difficult topic for Sheldon - but impossible? Nah! He's been getting over his fears and shown his feelings for her time and time again. I really don't see how after all this simply telling her what he wants in an honest conversation is somehow completely out of reach for him. They've done this before, they can do this again!

It should be simple yes and it could have been done at any point in the episodes taped so far. But they're dragging it out and the longer its dragged it, the less simple it becomes because she will be wondering what his motives are. Does he really mean it or is he only saying it because he thinks that's what she wants him to say? Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

It should be simple yes and it could have been done at any point in the episodes taped so far. But they're dragging it out and the longer its dragged it, the less simple it becomes because she will be wondering what his motives are. Does he really mean it or is he only saying it because he thinks that's what she wants him to say? Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I actually think the opposite is true. With regard to the discussion about Amy's motives I think keeping a distance between them and having her stand her ground is first and foremost about her figuring out what she wants. With this in mind how plausible would it be if Sheldon just swoops in the next day and tells her all these things seemingly out of the blue? Would that be because he means it or is he just saying these things because that's what happens in hippie-dippie movies?? Even more so would that actually sway Amy at this point when she still needs time to process all of this?

From a writer's point of view if I wanted to have Sheldon make this huge gesture (and yes, I said it's a simple act but of course it's a big deal for him!) I'd leave it for the actual reconciliation. And that needs to happen after both of them figured out what they want and how they can make this work. That is when it actually means something! And yes, that also means a lot of heartache in the meantime and a bit of plot tinkering to keep the whole thing flowing. But for all the accusations of "dragging this out" I do think that they already covered a lot of ground in just 4 episodes and the story is moving towards a (potential) big payoff here.

• Like 3

I think part of the issue is that we keep forgetting that Shamy are not a normal relationship.     This breakup is not conventional.

Man-child Sheldon is not getting his way.   He doesn't understand what went wrong, and rather than trying to figure it out, he's been going at Amy with all the reasons he thinks they should be together.   He hasn't asked her what her reasons are that they are not.   Sheldon is still thinking about Sheldon. 

Sheldon is heartbroken.   He is lashing out.   He is regressing.   He is being Sheldon, blaming everyone but himself.

Amy has not completely abandoned him.   It seems they are still communicating, at least by Skype.   She is still defending Sheldon against Bernie and refusing to consider dating Stuart.   She is standing on the sidelines waiting for him to come around to realizing that in some areas in life, childlike antics just don't belong.   She knows he is capable of stepping up.   If she moves in to soon, then their relationship will just revert back to what it before with no resolution to their issues.

No, she doesn't know that Sheldon was planning to propose to her, and that is a missing piece.   Nonetheless, changes need to be made on his end if they are going to succeed as partners.

Amy, who normally goes running off at the mouth with Penny, is keeping her mouth shut about her reasoning for the break up.

The termination of the RA still has not been addressed.   

There is something going on behind the scenes, and Amy holds all the cards, it seems.

• Like 6

If this is true he should leave her and go look for someone else.

• Like 4

For those of you who seem to think this is being dragged out, keep in mind I still think in BBT land, it's only been a couple of weeks as far as time lapse goes.  So technically for them it's still the latter half of May or early June.  Once they get Shamy back together and talking is when I think we'll see a time jump to being current.  Which is why I still think the reconciliation will be E7 (maybe E8).  Regardless of which episode, I think it will happen in the November sweeps.

• Like 2

Honestly if it is Amy doing her "bag of tricks" experiment on Sheldon to get him where she wants him that is emotional manipulation and I hope it backfires in a huge way in her face.   Instead of talking things through with him that he can understand she uses manipulative tactics and I have lost all respect for her if that is the case. I don't want him with her and I hope both will never reconcile if that is the case.   That would be horrible.

I would feel so much better if it truly was a situation where Amy was also over her head and experience level and was confused about what she was doing and what she wants and needed time to think.   If this latter is the case, then there is hope for them, but not if she is playing master puppeteer and trying to mold him into her image of what she wants from him.   Ugh...That would stink.

To  me if she is using emotional manipulation to get her way...that is a dangerous storyline.  It encourages people to do such a thing that are untrained.  Amy may be a neuroBIOLOGIST, but she is not a psychiatrist and even if she was, shrinks don't always have a success rate.   So her thinking she can manipulate him is awful.

And for what? Does she even know what she wants and needs?  I am not convinced she does.  So just no...if that is what they are doing, they need to stop such a horrid storyline.   That could be so dangerous and I would really want it to backfire in a huge way if that is the case.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 5

I hope she isn't  playing with his feelings as a experiment.  That would leave a horrible taste in my mouth and I think that Amy is better than that than to play games with his heart.   Sorry,  but this idea just comes across to me as Amy saying,  "let's knock him down to rock bottom and break him so I can build him back up into the man I want him to be. "  Why would someone want to watch that, much less ship that? 

Edited by nickelette424
  • Like 8

I think part of the issue is that we keep forgetting that Shamy are not a normal relationship.     This breakup is not conventional.

Man-child Sheldon is not getting his way.   He doesn't understand what went wrong, and rather than trying to figure it out, he's been going at Amy with all the reasons he thinks they should be together.   He hasn't asked her what her reasons are that they are not.   Sheldon is still thinking about Sheldon. 

Sheldon is heartbroken.   He is lashing out.   He is regressing.   He is being Sheldon, blaming everyone but himself.

Amy has not completely abandoned him.   It seems they are still communicating, at least by Skype.   She is still defending Sheldon against Bernie and refusing to consider dating Stuart.   She is standing on the sidelines waiting for him to come around to realizing that in some areas in life, childlike antics just don't belong.   She knows he is capable of stepping up.   If she moves in to soon, then their relationship will just revert back to what it before with no resolution to their issues.

No, she doesn't know that Sheldon was planning to propose to her, and that is a missing piece.   Nonetheless, changes need to be made on his end if they are going to succeed as partners.

Amy, who normally goes running off at the mouth with Penny, is keeping her mouth shut about her reasoning for the break up.

The termination of the RA still has not been addressed.   

There is something going on behind the scenes, and Amy holds all the cards, it seems.

Couldn't agree more. Amy definitely has the cards in all this. I think she knows what shes doing but not necessary figuring out what she wants from her relationship with Sheldon which is making me wonder why shes going doing what shes doing. It makes me think she wasn't fully happy in her relationship with Sheldon if shes choosing to be apart from him like this. Its like it doesn't matter if their together or not shes still gonna be hurting. If it is cause she doesn't feel desired by Sheldon this is the wrong way to go about it. 

It's very weird that she hasn't spoken to Penny about it but then, shes clever, she doesn't want this getting back to Sheldon and him come over to her and blow up in his face.

Its also weird the RA hasn't been addressed too. That to me says Sheldon doesn't think this will last and that the marriage comment in last nights episode seem even more petulant. I'm giving it till ep 10 then if nothings moved forward by then I've lost all hope for Shamy... 

• Like 1

Honestly if it is Amy doing her "bag of tricks" experiment on Sheldon to get him where she wants him that is emotional manipulation and I hope it backfires in a huge way in her face.   Instead of talking things through with him that he can understand she uses manipulative tactics and I have lost all respect for her if that is the case. I don't want him with her and I hope both will never reconcile if that is the case.   That would be horrible.

I would feel so much better if it truly was a situation where Amy was also over her head and experience level and was confused about what she was doing and what she wants and needed time to think.   If this latter is the case, then there is hope for them, but not if she is playing master puppeteer and trying to mold him into her image of what she wants from him.   Ugh...That would stink.

Yeah, I think the idea of Amy manipulating him here is just... idk despicable? It also doesn't really make much sense all things considered. Why would one assume that when she talked about how she needs time for herself and how hard it is for her she's just lying and hoping for Sheldon to learn his lesson?? That doesn't make any sense, tbqh!

• Like 6

I actually think the opposite is true. With regard to the discussion about Amy's motives I think keeping a distance between them and having her stand her ground is first and foremost about her figuring out what she wants. With this in mind how plausible would it be if Sheldon just swoops in the next day and tells her all these things seemingly out of the blue? Would that be because he means it or is he just saying these things because that's what happens in hippie-dippie movies?? Even more so would that actually sway Amy at this point when she still needs time to process all of this?

From a writer's point of view if I wanted to have Sheldon make this huge gesture (and yes, I said it's a simple act but of course it's a big deal for him!) I'd leave it for the actual reconciliation. And that needs to happen after both of them figured out what they want and how they can make this work. That is when it actually means something! And yes, that also means a lot of heartache in the meantime and a bit of plot tinkering to keep the whole thing flowing. But for all the accusations of "dragging this out" I do think that they already covered a lot of ground in just 4 episodes and the story is moving towards a (potential) big payoff here.

The problem is how he is ever going to prove he means what he says when she doubts it? He can say things until he's blue in the face, but it won't make any difference. Yes they are dragging it out. It took them five years to get to where they were at S8 finale. 4 episodes taped and they haven't even terminated the RA, so they haven't even officially broken up yet. That will probably take them most of the season to that. I had predicted episode 8 for them to get back together, because it was the anniversary of the prom, but now I rather they don't get back together at all. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk