The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

The problem is the that trust that was built between Sheldon and Amy is now gone. Sheldon trusted Amy with his feelings and was opening up to her and she broke his heart. Now he's going to clam up and (when they get back together eventually) he's going to be so afraid of her breaking his heart again that he will just do everything she says and become her "Yes Man." That is super unhealthy and Amy would hold all of the power. That's not what Shamy is about, they are equals. 

• Like 4

Very well said. 

I think she is using her "bag of tricks" again to move him forward.   This is hard for her to watch this happening to him because she loves him, but she feels it must be done.     I think she is fully aware that she is taking a risk, but before Sheldon completely snaps beyond repair, she will swoop in for the rescue.  

I know it sounds extremely manipulative, but she knows Sheldon better than anyone, and he is not going to grow without feeling some pain, first.  He is resisting and trying to hang on to his childish behavior.   It is not going to work this time.

On one hand, I hate her for what she is doing to him, but on the other hand ,I understand why she is doing it and why it is justified.

By his own indirect admission to Penny, he wants to marry her.   I think we finally have our answer, there.  The problem is, that he is still treating Amy as an afterthought to keep him comfortable rather than a priority where he considers her needs as well as his own. 

I see no bag of tricks here, just anxiety and confusion in a relationship, like "how deep our relationship really is?", "are you seriously committed to me?","how fare do you want this relationship to go?", something like that.

• Like 2

I actually don't believe this is true,  at least not anymore.   His comment about Amy marrying someone better than him is a clear sign to me that he,  at least now,  sees himself as the problem.   That wasn't a petulant, childish "I'm bitter in not getting my way" comment.   That was a comment born out of fear that he isn't good enough and she will eventually find someone else who is.   

Agree....I think Sheldon's biggest fear is that she won't think he is perfect for her.   He even stated that early in S8 when they went to pick him up at the train station and rode back home from AZ.   So it isn't that he is thinking of himself but that he fears she will see his faults and shortcomings and not see him as ideal for her.   

What may be childish and selfish is him thinking he could be "perfect" for someone...period...but that is more inexperience than immaturity.

• Like 6

The problem is the that trust that was built between Sheldon and Amy is now gone. Sheldon trusted Amy with his feelings and was opening up to her and she broke his heart. Now he's going to clam up and (when they get back together eventually) he's going to be so afraid of her breaking his heart again that he will just do everything she says and become her "Yes Man." That is super unhealthy and Amy would hold all of the power. That's not what Shamy is about, they are equals. 

I agree except the last part. They were equals, not anymore.

• Like 1

I see no bag of tricks here, just anxiety and confusion in a relationship, like "how deep our relationship really is?", "are you seriously committed to me?","how fare do you want this relationship to go?", something like that.

One concern I have about the "bag of tricks" theory someone mentioned is that in recent interviews some wording does support that line of thinking.  Mayim said "Amy knows Sheldon better than anyone" and if that were the case, then why didn't she know that Sheldon was into her?   Also Molaro said "Amy knows how to bring Sheldon to his breaking point" and that sounds very much like he has a manipulation story planned and that scare me in a big way if that is the case and I hope that viewer backlash will be so strong he will have to undo the mess before there is permanent damage.   It would be a horrible public lesson to teach people to control others in their lives.

• Like 5

Agree....I think Sheldon's biggest fear is that she won't think he is perfect for her.   He even stated that early in S8 when they went to pick him up at the train station and rode back home from AZ.   So it isn't that he is thinking of himself but that he fears she will see his faults and shortcomings and not see him as ideal for her.   

What may be childish and selfish is him thinking he could be "perfect" for someone...period...but that is more inexperience than immaturity.

Yep.  It is a sentiment he has expressed before.

The problem is how he is ever going to prove he means what he says when she doubts it? He can say things until he's blue in the face, but it won't make any difference. Yes they are dragging it out. It took them five years to get to where they were at S8 finale. 4 episodes taped and they haven't even terminated the RA, so they haven't even officially broken up yet. That will probably take them most of the season to that. I had predicted episode 8 for them to get back together, because it was the anniversary of the prom, but now I rather they don't get back together at all. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

First of all, regarding the "how will he prove what he says" point: How would he prove that in a hypothetical scenario in 9x01? or 9x02?? Seriously, how is that better other than us getting a happy end earlier instead of having to wait for, say, the Nov sweeps? At that point, the fact that he'll have had a lot of time to think about the situation actually makes it more believable to me (and hopefully Amy) and whatever he says will be more heartfelt than the kind of quick fixes he usually pulls off. This is a big deal for their relationship and the reconciliation should be handled with care and not rushed. I wouldn't call 4 episodes "dragging", like, at all. Maybe I'm just more patient here but I'd rather have a well crafted arc than a quick resolution.

Second, regarding the RA: The fact that it hasn't come up yet makes me think that the termination clause will never be signed - either it'll be a conversation starter between them or used for a sweet "technically we never broke up!" gag.

• Like 8

I think this is the reason why I feel so heartbroken by the split. It wasn't them splitting up, its the trust and them being equals that has now been erased from their relationship that has hurt Shamy shippers. The worst thing is if they didn't have Amy jump down his throat in 9.1 and completely end the relationship out of anger I think it would be a different story. They should have just left it with what she said at the end of season 8, it let so many doors open with what they could have done with season 9. Preaching that fanfic exists right now 

• Like 2

First of all, regarding the "how will he prove what he says" point: How would he prove that in a hypothetical scenario in 9x01? or 9x02?? Seriously, how is that better other than us getting a happy end earlier instead of having to wait for, say, the Nov sweeps? At that point, the fact that he'll have had a lot of time to think about the situation actually makes it more believable to me (and hopefully Amy) and whatever he says will be more heartfelt than the kind of quick fixes he usually pulls off. This is a big deal for their relationship and the reconciliation should be handled with care and not rushed. I wouldn't call 4 episodes "dragging", like, at all. Maybe I'm just more patient here but I'd rather have a well crafted arc than a quick resolution.

Second, regarding the RA: The fact that it hasn't come up yet makes me think that the termination clause will never be signed - either it'll be a conversation starter between them or used for a sweet "technically we never broke up!" gag.

What arc?

One concern I have about the "bag of tricks" theory someone mentioned is that in recent interviews some wording does support that line of thinking.  Mayim said "Amy knows Sheldon better than anyone" and if that were the case, then why didn't she know that Sheldon was into her?   Also Molaro said "Amy knows how to bring Sheldon to his breaking point" and that sounds very much like he has a manipulation story planned and that scare me in a big way if that is the case and I hope that viewer backlash will be so strong he will have to undo the mess before there is permanent damage.   It would be a horrible public lesson to teach people to control others in their lives.

If I treat everything Molaro says as gospel truth, I'd go ca-razy...so I'd rather let everything unfold before my very eyes rather than prematurely ruin anything (in a mental sense) before they actually happen.

This whole shenanigan doesn't read as science experiment to me, because if it is, then Molaro and co deserve some rocks in the face. They just did a big disservice to their cash cow.

• Like 2

I actually don't believe this is true,  at least not anymore.   His comment about Amy marrying someone better than him is a clear sign to me that he,  at least now,  sees himself as the problem.   That wasn't a petulant, childish "I'm bitter in not getting my way" comment.   That was a comment born out of fear that he isn't good enough and she will eventually find someone else who is.   

You are right, but he has yet to tell Amy.   He tells everyone else but, her.   

• Like 2

What arc?

Story arc, character development. That kind of stuff, you know? I know some of you guys don't like that in your light hearted comedy cause it's usually a staple of drama but honestly, is it so hard to imagine the writers actually wanting to go somewhere with all this? Or do you think they just sit around and think about how they can make the shipper's lives miserable?? I mean, they probably do to some extend but come on!

I have no doubt he will eventually do that when it's time they have their talk. The tragedy of this dilemma is really that Amy doesn't know how much he loves her. He has the tendency to ramble on at times so he might as well do that then and get it all out! lol

• Like 4

I agree except the last part. They were equals, not anymore.

Sorry I meant they are supposed to be equal, not that they were at the moment.  

• Like 1

Amy WANTS to be Sheldon´s FIRST option in ALL.

Last season she asked him to live together at least four times(the last was season 7 finale and his answer was awful)

Why do you think she is going to say yes, when he asked it because all the others failed? She is not a "wild card" anymore!

• Like 1

Story arc, character development. That kind of stuff, you know? I know some of you guys don't like that in your light hearted comedy cause it's usually a staple of drama but honestly, is it so hard to imagine the writers actually wanting to go somewhere with all this? Or do you think they just sit around and think about how they can make the shipper's lives miserable?? I mean, they probably do to some extend but come on!

I have no doubt he will eventually do that when it's time they have their talk. The tragedy of this dilemma is really that Amy doesn't know how much he loves her. He has the tendency to ramble on at times so he might as well do that then and get it all out! lol

RE the story arc....I think we on this forum forget about the casual viewer which makes up the majority of the audience.   I think we analyze things and read between lines and try to glean where  the writers are going or what their intent is on stories.  But the majority of viewers do not do that.   So the question will remain whether the casual viewer is looking at their relationship to the depth that we discuss here.  I would venture they do not, so this breakup is going to make far less sense to them.   They saw a happy couple suddenly go bipolar on them.   So the story arc you are talking about isn't even in their mindset.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 2

Starting to get exhausting explaining this to the "doom & gloom" Shamies and the funny thing, we haven't even seen these episodes yet, we're only at the 4th episode and some of our fellow shippers are ready to write it all off and declare the Shamy are ruined.  

I don't know whether to laugh or scream.  Thank god my oldest is at school right now.  She'd probably have me committed.

• Like 3

My only issue is if Chuck and co drag this Shamy relationship brouhaha till season 10, just to keep the viewers glued in rather than explore the Shamy storyline further.

• Like 1

I love how it all comes a back round to communication. He's said all the right things to the wrong person. And they've all been nice things said in such a Sheldon way (I.e about catching her eggs) that I'm sure Amy would have found touching cause it's unique, very him, and, in a weird way, super romantic.

He needs to tell her he loves her more. Where would have been the harm in saying I love you back in the Christmas episode when she said it to him? There's only so much that can go unspoken in a relationship. Yes they've been together for a long time and yes it doesn't always need saying but occasionally wouldn't go a miss.

• Like 3

RE the story arc....I think we on this forum forget about the casual viewer which makes up the majority of the audience.   I think we analyze things and read between lines and try to glean where  the writers are going or what their intent is on stories.  But the majority of viewers do not do that.   So the question will remain whether the casual viewer is looking at their relationship to the depth that we discuss here.  I would venture they do not, so this breakup is going to make far less sense to them.   They saw a happy couple suddenly go bipolar on them.   So the story arc you are talking about isn't even in their mindset.

I don't think this is particularly hard to grasp for a casual viewer. Like I said in my earlier post they do show a plausible escalation of the events that is really easy to follow. "Amy and Sheldon have a fight and she breaks up because he's a dick" isn't exactly rocket science. It would be a lot harder if we were still in this vague "taking a step back" phase.

Edited by April
  • Like 4

It wasn't necessary to break them in the first place, but they did break them up. Why would having more time make whatever he says/does more sincere. It doesn't but gives her more time for her doubts to increase. They don't have to have the happy reconciliation now, but they should be doing something to work towards that, but I see nothing like that. And when you consider they resolved Sheldon's running away last year in one episode, 4 episodes with nothing being done is dragging it. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I don't see it that way. For me it's just Lenny playing surrogate parents to the boy who won't grow up. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Well, that's okay. I am of the thought that the writers did this so Penny will find it and blab to Amy, who decides that Sheldon does want what she wants. At the same time she will realize that he is not a mind reader because she obviously isnt. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Well, that's okay. I am of the thought that the writers did this so Penny will find it and blab to Amy, who decides that Sheldon does want what she wants. At the same time she will realize that he is not a mind reader because she obviously isnt. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I suppose they could do try that, but unless Penny asks him about it, she's going to assume he got the ring because Amy broke up with him and tell her that, which would just make the situation worse.

Well, that's okay. I am of the thought that the writers did this so Penny will find it and blab to Amy, who decides that Sheldon does want what she wants. At the same time she will realize that he is not a mind reader because she obviously isnt.

So, we are back to the communication problem with Shamy.    While it is all well and good if Penny finds out these things, Sheldon will likely confide in her as a friend and we learn more about his intentions.   The crux of the issue is that he is still not directing his attention to Amy who is the one that needs to be hearing these things directly from him, not through the grapevine. 

I hope that Lenny will be able to work together in dealing with Sheldon, and he doesn't create angst in their marital bliss.   I understand that they don't want to abandon him.   They really do care, but at some point they need to kick Sheldon to the curb and let him stand on his own.     He's never going to get there if they keep providing themselves as a crutch.

That seems to be where Amy is at.   She is not going to be his crutch anymore, but I am confident she will catch him before he has fallen completely to the ground.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 5

I have been pretty clear that Amy needs work too and I hope by E7 that is explored. She doesnt see how far he has come for her. She was too close to it. And I am hopeful something will get her really missing him and appreciate him for who he is...not somebody she dreams he could be. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes to this....after my long car drive today ( with my Mum who is also a fan !!) . We basically said this exactly is what needs to happen, but also Sheldon needs to show her she's his world, and without her nothing means the same as with her :) . 

Mum and I both think by E7 at the latest due to the fact it is being dealt with in a relatively short time frame, so far no RA termination and writers giving clear views that Amy still loves him. 

• Like 6