The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that as a Shipper, I am in it for the long haul, to see how it plays out.  

There are times I am going to be overjoyed, sad, angry, and outright on the verge of throwing in the towel, but I'm not going to break up with Shamy just because the writers don't see fit to create my ideal scenario on screen. 

Come S10 when Shamy are back together, all this angst will have been a passing phase and rarely discussed again.   However, how am I going to appreciate all the details that got them to that point if I don't hang on?

It's like starting a good movie, getting to an uncomfortable scene, and then stopping in the middle without seeing it through to the end.    All the little tidbits in the middle are what make the happy ending more satisfying.

you make a very valid point Jena. I guess cause I just see that their trust is pretty much gone it's gonna be hard to see them ever going back to the way they were all cause of something that was said out of haste. I just wish it was left with Amy saying she needed time and not have a full blown angry break up. I guess looking back at all this come S10 we'll all laugh at some of these comments. I just hope Sheldon can regain his trust with Amy and get things back the way they were.....only a thousand times better. 

• Like 2

All the little tidbits in the middle are what make the happy ending more satisfying.

Provided there is a happy ending.

Also, as I mentioned above, to me, some things are a complete deal breaker.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 2

I just hope Sheldon can regain his trust with Amy and get things back the way they were.....only a thousand times better. 

Well, we are imposing our emotions into them as normal people.   Shamy aren't normal, and at best, we can only assume what is going on in their brains.

I don't think Sheldon's issue with Amy has anything to do with trust.   He is overwhelmed with emotions he never wanted, and now that he has them, he doesn't know how to handle them.   All he can think of is going back to what used to work for him because he doesn't know how to move forward.

He is afraid that he is never going to get Amy back.    He is scared and angry, but if she were to take him back, I think he would jump in less than a heartbeat.   I think he is more mad at himself because everything that he trying to do to fix this has failed.   Sheldon doesn't like to fail.

• Like 9

My favourite show in the 80's- 90's had the couple 'break up' for 10 episodes and it was another 16 episodes before they were fully back on track. I know all this Shamy drama is aggravating but like I've said before... it's not the first time writers have gone down this path and it's definitely not the last. I won't comment until I have seen the episodes. All I'm saying is hang in there :icon_wink:

• Like 2

My favourite show in the 80's- 90's had the couple 'break up' for 10 episodes and it was another 16 episodes before they were fully back on track. I know all this Shamy drama is aggravating but like I've said before... it's not the first time writers have gone down this path and it's definitely not the last. I won't comment until I have seen the episodes. All I'm saying is hang in there :icon_wink:

Are you perhaps thinking of A Different World? Before Shamy, Dwayne and Whitley were the only TV couple I was crazy about, and their break-up, in retrospect, led to an awesome payoff (the wedding episode). I've been thinking about that plot a lot because of what's going on with Shamy and I wonder if it will be resolved similarly.

Ok, I just have to post this.   My husband is not on this forum, but this was what he had to say to me in an email to help keep me calm about all this:

Babe, they're gonna milk this & draw it out like an arc.  It might even take all season.  It shows how the other half lives.  Greater contrast from old Sheldon to new Sheldon back to old Sheldon.  They're likely going to make a major point out of it when it all comes to a head.  Brace yourself for a wonderful Shamy surprise.   It is coming, just be patient.

You have a wonderful husband!

• Like 1

Thank you, Ginny.   I appreciate that he supports me in my Sheldon crush and doesn't get all worked up about it.   He has absolutely no desire to be part of the forums, but he does enjoy giving me his input to share.    He's a lot more analytical and willing to withhold his reaction until he knows how the story ends.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 2

Ok, I just have to post this.   My husband is not on this forum, but this was what he had to say to me in an email to help keep me calm about all this:

Babe, they're gonna milk this & draw it out like an arc.  It might even take all season.  It shows how the other half lives.  Greater contrast from old Sheldon to new Sheldon back to old Sheldon.  They're likely going to make a major point out of it when it all comes to a head.  Brace yourself for a wonderful Shamy surprise.   It is coming, just be patient.

I don't think it'll take them all season for them to get back together but otherwise I agree. Imho all signs point to them using this for some character development - or else what would be the point, you know? I personally do feel the writers like to push Sheldon's boundaries and this is just another step into that direction.

• Like 5

Well, we are imposing our emotions into them as normal people.   Shamy aren't normal, and at best, we can only assume what is going on in their brains.

I don't think Sheldon's issue with Amy has anything to do with trust.   He is overwhelmed with emotions he never wanted, and now that he has them, he doesn't know how to handle them.   All he can think of is going back to what used to work for him because he doesn't know how to move forward.

He is afraid that he is never going to get Amy back.    He is scared and angry, but if she were to take him back, I think he would jump in less than a heartbeat.   I think he is more mad at himself because everything that he trying to do to fix this has failed.   Sheldon doesn't like to fail.

oh i know trust was never an issue in the relationship I'm thinking more of now that she's ended with with him, what will happen to make him believe she'll never break his heart again. Then again I'm sure he knows that if he gave her what she wants there will be no reason to think she'd dump him again. I know he's scared and angry at himself, I think they both are deep down. Meh. The writers have so many options..

and you have an amazing husband btw. He's spot on. I just hope it doesn't take all season 

• Like 1

Poor babies

image.thumb.jpg.782e433d67c5290c3d42d484

btw red and violet tees just sayin...

just going with a huntch I'm guessing when he's at Amy's wearing the black tee, could be violet underneath?

Edited by Amy Fowler

Me too.

Likewise, if either of them sleeps with someone else.

What's a DR?

Doctor   Psychologist 

I call Jim my TV boyfriend and my husband thinks it's funny. He bought me the tickets for ACT OF GOD. And thinks it's great I meet Jim 3 times. 

• Like 1

I remember Jims chat on The View when he said he'd hate going to work and not being paired with Mayim. And I remember an interview where Mayim had spoken bout when they have scenes together and how there's an underlining realness to them cause of all the background work they've done before they rehearse/shoot. This must be torture for them both...

Agree...I am sure neither are overly happy with the story. In fact the cast as a whole don't seem overly peppy this year.  It definitely seems like it is putting a damper on their joy that they had last season.

As Hawking said above, there are deal breakers and even how they play out the journey for a payoff could be a deal breaker itself if the journey becomes too contrived.   

Many of you tell us to "hang in there" and "trust the writers" but we watched these same writers mess up Lenny so much that I quit being a Lenny fan and began and still do care less about them.   They annoy me to no end.  I honestly could live quite well without either character being on the show any longer (and their portrayers) all because the writing made their characters so unpalatable to me.   Now I see them doing the same with Shamy.   I barely made it through S6, but decided Shamy were still early enough in their relationship I would see where it goes.  But this is different because we have watched these same writers give lousy payoffs.  I can't say the way the Lenny umpteen proposals, eventual proposal, engagement and method of wedding were great payoffs for fans of that couple.  If anything they were rather pathetic.   They were definitely in character, but sometimes you want to see a character stretch beyond their normal self for big things and see beautiful moments.  I hardly call any of their moments beautiful that should have been big moments for them.    So how am I supposed to trust them now with Shamy?   I really don't.   

Telling us that the payoff will be well worth it remains to be seen and the journey may kill many before they even get to the payoff because this show has already lost viewers over the last couple of years.   They may find more are gone before they get to the payoff.   

If they taint Shamy in any way along the journey which they are already walking a fine line and are close to doing, it will never be the same for this Shamy fan and it sounds like for others as well.   I am not sure I trust the writers to not go there and do something stupid.   I still am not over the whole Penny/Raj fiasco  years ago, for example.   That tainted Lenny for me and I have never felt the same about them since.   I would hate to see them do something stupid to do the same with Shamy.

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 2

Agree...I am sure neither are overly happy with the story. In fact the cast as a whole don't seem overly peppy this year.  It definitely seems like it is putting a damper on their joy that they had last season.

lol.... how do you even know....

they get big big paychecks.... I hardly think they care about the stories..... they will feel anything they get is great......its quite obvious.....

Well the cast are always praising and saying how they completely trust the writers. I really cannot say anything about Jim and Mayim's feelings because they are strangers to me and all of us but I personally haven't noticed anything that would suggest that they or the whole cast are seriously unhappy with how things are going :icon_neutral: I mean Kaley was just recently gushing about how all her dreams came true and saying how amazing S9 was in her usual cheery manner. 

I don't think this break up scenario is any kind of torture for Jim and/or Mayim.  I think they'd be really sad if something catastrophic happened, like if they wrote Amy off the show.  Jim's comments about not being paired with Mayim at work doesn't, IMO, mean this.  While they're not filming cozy intimate scenes together, they're still interacting to some degree.  I think that for most actors, playing the "difficult" stuff is just as gratifying as playing the easy or fun stuff.  You get to flex different muscles, and I think that's really important in the case of a long-running show.  For Jim, especially, he's getting to work with a whole different set of emotions and behaviors for Sheldon.

I don't believe that Amy is trying to manipulate or trick him or whatever.  I don't think she's calculating how long she should string him along, or how much she wants to make him pay.  This sort of discussion arose with the S7/S8 situation.  Even though Sheldon didn't run away from Amy and even though he spoke to her just after he left, many people were trying to make it out that he left because of her and people wanted Amy to "tear him a new one" or give him the cold shoulder, or worst of all, make him "earn" his way back into her good graces.

I don't think she's trying to break him, but simply did what she felt she needed to do for her own sake.  For whatever reason, his distracted thinking on their anniversary tweaked her last nerve and she felt she needed time to evaluate the relationship.  Maybe she would have been able to work it out and just have a few things to discuss with him, but his impatience and pestering drove her over the edge and she reacted in anger and impatience.  Then, of course, he makes it worse by trying to make her pay, in a way.  His reaction to her is very like the way he was telling Leonard he'd be sorry if he chose friendship with Wheaton over friendship with him--and of course, we saw Sheldon's true colors when he thought Leonard had reconsidered ("Oh good--you picked me!  You picked me!")

Sheldon has a very wide petulant streak and doesn't handle rejection or disappointment well.

But Amy hasn't had a chance to do much about the situation since their break-up comes at the same time as the Lenny marriage and all the baggage of that situation.  I'm also glad she refused to move in with him.  Of all the times she had suggested it before and had been rebuffed, now that she's wanting some distance from him, suddenly he's willing to entertain the idea of her becoming his roommate.  And really, as people were saying before, her being his platonic roommate wouldn't necessarily be a step in the right direction for thier relationship as a romantic couple.

Sheldon has such an overdeveloped ego that he usually cannot entertain the idea that he might be in the wrong.  In Shiny Trinket, he was drinking virtual alcohol and Leonard asked him if he and Amy had had a fight.  Sheldon said she had a fight, while he had been perfectly reasonable or something like that.  We saw him consider his shortcomings one other time, when Amy and Wil had a fight and Sheldon went to drown his sorrows in a Long Island Iced Tea.  As he was getting drunk he said that he was a terrible boyfriend or something like that and that Amy was going to leave him.  Of course, when Penny said, "No she won't", he responded with, "I'm a delight".  But that little drunken moment showed that he does know on some level that he is less than ideal.  He knows he's annoying, etc.  Now of course, the thought that he and Amy had a fine relationship based on that survey, but we did see how Amy kind of wanted to hear a little lovey-dovey from him, even if they did get an 8.

Anyway, I think it's good that Sheldon winds his way down to the point where he can see his shortcoming and can articulate his insecurities or fears.  I think his attemped reversion back to his pre-Leonard days is another symptom of his inability to cope in a normal way.  He's tried playing it cool, getting angry and vindictive, trying to bargain, in a way, and now he's kind of given up or run out of things to try, so he can only retreat.

I think that Amy has her own work to do, but I don't think she's trying to push him til he cracks and I don't think she has some kind of master plan when it comes to the break up that she never wanted.  I think her reluctance to make it a formal break shows that she still has hope or intention to try to work it out--if only everyone would leave them alone for a moment.  I don't know, since we don't have all the detail and nuance of the performances, but I think that she's trying to find a way to figure things out and that it will ultimately come down to having a private conversation with Sheldon like she did in the D&D episode and in the prom episode.  THey need time away from the mayhem and from their own heightened emotions.  Sheldon seems to be finally coming down from his initial reaction and so will be more open to a normal conversation.

And I don't think their trust in each other has been destroyed.  If she'd gone out with someone else, or if he had done so, then I might think so.  But since the breakup came about the way it did, out of frustration and misunderstanding or whatever, then I think it's just a matter of it being a sort of overblown spat, rather than any kind of betrayal.  Sheldon may feel "betrayed", but he always feels betrayed when things don't go his way--when Leonard slept with Priya, when Leonard slept with Dr. Plimpton, when Leonard chose Penny for the trip to Switzerland, etc..  So maybe he needs to put things in perspective, but I don't think he's been crushed or stomped on and I don't think Amy has either.

• Like 3

Kripke's back next week.  He'll probably hit on Amy.

OMG, I am just loving that scenario and seeing Sheldon's jealous side surface.

• Like 3