The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tensor

[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

SHAMY interaction, and their "first time", are a Gold /Diamond mine for creators, writers ,cast and all TBBT business, and they are using this break-up to get the audience more and more involved into the show!

Well I wouldn't call Shamy interactions and coitus a gold/diamond mine because even though they're a very popular TV couple and their relationship milestones make many people happy and create a lot of media buzz, if you took a look at the ratings for Shamy-centric episodes they're usually nothing out of the ordinary. For exemple Prom Equivalency got 16.56 million, which is certainly amazing by normal standards but quite average for a TBBT episode. Locomotion Manipulation got 17.53 million and Love Spell Potential got 16.3 million. None of them have ever reached even 20 million viewers.

Also if/when the writers decide for Shamy to go to the coitus route, there's really no guaranteeing that it'll generate big, possibly record-breaking ratings. It'll really depend on the episode as a whole and how they decide to promote it. If the promotions reveal nothing about the coitus, then most people would just treat it as just another TBBT episode. If the promos give the coitus away, I imagine it'll cause disappointment because such a big moment in the show just got spoiled.

Of course, I'm certain that after a Shamy coitus episode, they'll be the typical media attention and interviews with TPTB and the actors but I really think that the only way enormous ratings can be guaranteed for it would be to air the episode after SuperBowl or something.

I personally feel like the geeky humour and quirkiness of the characters are the true goldmines of this show.

Also if you were to be correct in saying that the writers are using the Shamy breakup to get more audiences involved in the show, then I will be extremely disappointed because that would be that ratings were the sole motivation behind this breakup. Not something that they wanted to see Sheldon and Amy explore in a another chapter of their story. For that, I desperately hope that your second point is untrue.

Edited by Luna18
  • Like 1

yeah. Which makes me think (well hope) the 200th is their purposal. They can't leave it that late for them to get back together? Right? RIGHT?! :icon_rolleyes:

I totally wrote this out of frustration not cause it's the easy fix I ACTUALLY want to happen. I know perfectly well these situations would never happen, it's not Sheldon, I know he'd NEVER dream of doing what I said. I was expressing my current thoughts in the current moment from the information I'd gathered, like most people on this thread do because that's what that the thread is about. Not being critised, if your not then I apologise but you do come across agressive sometimes in your post which is why I avoid quoting you. Also, I know banter/jokes are hard to read in text form but most of that was a joke cause it was so out the box it would NEVER happen. There isn't enough reason for Amy to live with Sheldon in their current circumstances, I was just THINKING about it. Please don't put words in my mouth. If something's easy to fix it properly isn't worth fixing. Especially in sitcoms. I know how sitcoms go and I know what good sitcom witing is. I've worked on quite a few FYI.

I know I sometimes come across as aggressive but I don't try to be. I'm almost always just passionate about what I'm saying. I hope you didn't take my response as aggressive and disrespectful to you because I assure you I didn't want to be. That's why I tried to take your points and not go after you (in any way shape or form) for saying them. Believe me I know frustrating since I'm a Lenny. In regards to Shamy the timing of it frustrates me but I find all the rest quite IC

I know I sometimes come across as aggressive but I don't try to be. I'm almost always just passionate about what I'm saying. I hope you didn't take my response as aggressive and disrespectful to you because I assure you I didn't want to be. That's why I tried to take your points and not go after you (in any way shape or form) for saying them. Believe me I know frustrating since I'm a Lenny. In regards to Shamy the timing of it frustrates me but I find all the rest quite IC

I know :) it's hard when you put your love and faith into a pairing let alone the characters as individual. It's just hard to read your meaning behind your comments sometimes. Just like it is when you read other people's posts! It's the nature of text :p .

I think it is IC (it not maybe a little extreme) it's just horrible to see them both so sad for so lone. Their very naïve and I think it makes it just a little bit sadder than Lenny cause they aren't as strong as individuals like they are. They'll get back together I know, and it won't be easy 

Edited by Amy Fowler
  • Like 1

RE the story arc....I think we on this forum forget about the casual viewer which makes up the majority of the audience.   I think we analyze things and read between lines and try to glean where  the writers are going or what their intent is on stories.  But the majority of viewers do not do that.   So the question will remain whether the casual viewer is looking at their relationship to the depth that we discuss here.  I would venture they do not, so this breakup is going to make far less sense to them.   They saw a happy couple suddenly go bipolar on them.   So the story arc you are talking about isn't even in their mindset.

I think the break up would seem inevitable to the casual viewer who is not overthinking everything.

Leonard and Amy are really special patient people. Every now and then Sheldon just goes too far. This time was worse than usual. Keep in mind the first time Amy and Sheldon broke off their friendship it was just stupid pride. Sheldon has not completely given up on stupid pride yet. We still don't know what is in that final scene of ep1 yet.

I know :) it's hard when you put your love and faith into a pairing let alone the characters as individual. It's just hard to read your meaning behind your comments sometimes. Just like it is when you read other people's posts! It's the nature of text :p .

I think it is IC (it not maybe a little extreme) it's just horrible to see them both so sad for so lone. Their very naïve and I think it makes it just a little bit sadder than Lenny cause they aren't as strong as individuals like they are. They'll get back together I know, and it won't be easy 

The highs are all the higher when there are lows. The first SIK was big because it was so long in coming. If there is just homeostasis it would take another 20 years for the engagement. One might think Sheldon is an ent.

I think we on this forum forget about the casual viewer which makes up the majority of the audience.

I'm not sure the majority are casual viewers.

The ratings are pretty stable, suggesting the vast majority are regular and dedicated viewers.

Oh, they are broken up. If you don't want to see it, don't, but they are broken up. My question to you is: why would Amy not trust Sheldon? Sheldon might say the wrong things most of the time,  but he doesn't usually lie to Amy, except one or 2 episodes ago when he was trying to make her jealous. However, if there are other instances when he has lied to her, please tell me, as I might have forgotten. I think there are many things Sheldon is not, but sincere is not one of them. Personally, I don't think they are dragging the split.(I perhaps wouldn't have gone there with Shamy at this stage, but that's another matter entirely) If it took them 5 years to get here, what do you want? A 5 hour break up? I sure as hell don't, as it would completely trivialize the whole relationship. The fact that now you don't want them to get back together at all because you are not getting EXACTLY what you want shows a great deal of immaturity, IMO

I never said that she didn't trust him, what I was saying was that if the reason that she asked for a break initially was because she has those kinds of doubts about his sincerity, than it's going to be very difficult to overcome. And those kinds of doubts don't make for a healthy relationship, which is why I said they might be better off not getting back together. And the only thing I would like is for some insight into what Amy was thinking when she asked for a break. As it stands we have various theories and assumptions over what it could be, but nothing from her. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I know what you're saying. Text is sometimes unbearably inappropriate. One thing I want to clarify, besides what you have read in my posts, believe me, I AM pissed about Shamy's breakup (as I said mainly because of the timing) and I do wish happy times for them, and mostly I feel for Shamies because I understand what they are going through , and how it must be torture. That being said, since the writers chose to go this route, I want them address everything there is to address and take their time to take care of ALL the issues they see, not like in the beginning of S8 which made S7 finale seem unnecessary. I know (and hope) that when they get back together they'll be stronger than ever, and even better than before.

Provided there is a happy ending.

Also, as I mentioned above, to me, some things are a complete deal breaker.

Yes, I understand you completely. As fans we can only tolerate so much. As a Lenny, Leonard's OOC kiss is as much as I'm prepared to tolerate, and even that made me have serious doubts in my mind. 

What I meant by some things are a complete deal breaker is, some things would mean I'd not watch any new episodes, ever.

Among those things are, the Shamy not getting back together (highly unlikely, for the reasons I stated earlier), and either of them having sex with someone else.

Making out I can live with (I wrote a fic which involved that, and a hard couple of chapters those were to write, I can tell you), but actual sex is a total no-no.

What I meant by some things are a complete deal breaker is, some things would mean I'd not watch any new episodes, ever.

Among those things are, the Shamy not getting back together (highly unlikely, for the reasons I stated earlier), and either of them having sex with someone else.

Making out I can live with (I wrote a fic which involved that, and a hard couple of chapters those were to write, I can tell you), but actual sex is a total no-no.

Actual sex and  making out with someone else, NO, please!! SHAMY is "first and only" in all love matters !!! I M O 

SHAMY is not a regular  couple. SHAMY is unique!!!

• Like 4

Actual sex and  making out with someone else, NO, please!! SHAMY is "first and only" in all love matters !!! I M O 

SHAMY is not a regular  couple. SHAMY is unique!!!

I'm with you Susana.   Shenny dream excluded, I do not want to see Amy or Sheldon kissing, making out, having sex with anyone other than each other.

While I don't see Sheldon trying to date anyone else, I can see Amy trying, if only to shut everyone around her up about it.   However, once the guy starts talking or reaches out to touch her, she freaks out knowing that she only wants these things from Sheldon.   If a guy were to try to kiss her, I would hope that she would not kiss back.   If she did, it would negate her standing there like a statue whenever Sheldon did it.

I've already explained in another post that, pride aside, germophobe Sheldon would not be able to handle Amy having been with another man.  

Well, I can't un-write the chapters.

Actually, you can, but it would be a lot of work. :icon_biggrin:  

While, I disagree that Amy should make out with someone else, others think she should to see what else it out there and to get a perspective outside of Sheldon.   Your stories serve to please those on that side of the argument.

• Like 2

I'm with you Susana.   Shenny dream excluded, I do not want to see Amy or Sheldon kissing, making out, having sex with anyone other than each other.

While I don't see Sheldon trying to date anyone else, I can see Amy trying, if only to shut everyone around her up about it.   However, once the guy starts talking or reaches out to touch her, she freaks out knowing that she only wants these things from Sheldon.   If a guy were to try to kiss her, I would hope that she would not kiss back.   If she did, it would negate her standing there like a statue whenever Sheldon did it.

I've already explained in another post that, pride aside, germophobe Sheldon would not be able to handle Amy having been with another man.  

Not even in  FF, some written by Shamies, I can´t imagine Amy making out and having  her first sex experience  with another man!

Jena, SHAMY is "first and only" .SHAMY first time will be AMAZING, (but frankly, I think the writers are still  trying to imagine it. They need time, no Amy LOLOLOL!!!

(and sorry, in 8 x 24, Amy was not like a statue during the making out!)

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't see the writers letting either of them have a one-night-stand or even making out with someone else. At the very most I can imagine Amy being set up for a date but even that I can't see going very far (if anything a story like that would probably serve to have her realise something about what she wants and/or make Sheldon step up but not much more).

• Like 2

Is it sept. 16 yet? I wanna know what happens next episode already :icon_razz: 

They've taken a breather for 2 episodes now. It's time they got back to the Shamy situation already.

• Like 2

Not even in  FF, some written by Shamies, I can´t imagine Amy making out and having  her first sex experience  with another man!

Jena, SHAMY is "first and only" .SHAMY first time will be AMAZING, (but frankly, I think the writers are still  trying to imagine it. They need time, no Amy LOLOLOL!!!

I am totally on your side, and when I start to read FF that has something I don't like (like Amy dating someone else), I simply stop reading it.  

However, every author has a right to portray or write Shamy in whatever way they imagine it.   Not everyone shares the same opinions, and I am just trying to respect that.

• Like 3

I am totally on your side, and when I start to read FF that has something I don't like (like Amy dating someone else), I simply stop reading it.  

However, every author has a right to portray or write Shamy in whatever way they imagine it.   Not everyone shares the same opinions, and I am just trying to respect that.

Yes there is absolutely nothing wrong with writing whatever you want on fanfics. Any pairing is allowed and its okay if the characters get OOC.

Pretty sure the only stories that aren't allowed on ff.net are real-people fics.

Unfortunately ive had the misfortune of running into some a while back...:bad:

Yes, I had read several posts discussing the RL turned into FF.   It's awful and disrespectful to the actors, causing us to lose out on Instagram posts, etc.

I am reading a FF right now.   The author is so good with the dialogue, that I am starting to like Amy and Kripke as a pair.     I deserve some flak, for even admitting that.   :help:

I really do hope Shamy reconcile in the end, as I still have a few more chapters to go.    Nonetheless, I don't think I will be able to see Kripke as the creep as I used to thanks to this story.  

I believe Kripke will be in the next taped episode.  I wonder what Shamy goodness he is going to stir up.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 2

Yes, I had read several posts discussing the RL turned into FF.   It's awful and disrespectful to the actors, causing us to lose out on Instagram posts, etc.

I am reading a FF right now.   The author is so good with the dialogue, that I am starting to like Amy and Kripke as a pair.     I deserve some flak, for even admitting that.   :help:

I really do hope Shamy reconcile in the end, as I still have a few more chapters to go.    Nonetheless, I don't think I will be able to see Kripke as the creep as I used to thanks to this story.  

I believe Kripke will be in the next taped episode.  I wonder what Shamy goodness he is going to stir up.

WHAT'S THIS JENA? YOU LIKE AMY AND KRIPKE TOGETHER? UNBELIEVABLEEEEEEEEEE!!! 

IjsqzDm.thumb.png.9385b872ce7b1335f28b7d

:icon_razz: Nah I'm just teasing ya LOL

Is Kripke IC in this story you're reading? I've actually always kinda like his character. I find him quite entertaining and a good nemesis for Sheldon.

• Like 2

WHAT'S THIS JENA? YOU LIKE AMY AND KRIPKE TOGETHER? UNBELIEVABLEEEEEEEEEE!!! 

IjsqzDm.thumb.png.9385b872ce7b1335f28b7d

:icon_razz: Nah I'm just teasing ya LOL

Is Kripke IC in this story you're reading? I've actually always kinda like his character. I find him quite entertaining and a good nemesis for Sheldon.

Oh, yeah.   He's still a dirt bag, but he's got a legitimate thing for Amy, and I think he's inadvertently going to be the key to getting Shamy back on the same page.    It's kind of cool, and Sheldon is all worked up about it.   Loving it.  Loving it. 

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11271457/1/The-Kripke-Conundrum

• Like 3

Oh, yeah.   He's still a dirt bag, but he's got a legitimate thing for Amy, and I think he's inadvertently going to be the key to getting Shamy back on the same page.    It's kind of cool, and Sheldon is all worked up about it.   Loving it.  Loving it. 

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11271457/1/The-Kripke-Conundrum

thanks for the link. Im gonna start reading it now.

My thoughts exactly.   While coitus and marriage or vice versa would be nice because I would like to see the humor that would ensure from them managing these two new aspects in their lives, it is more important to me that the writers bring back their interactions and quirky behavior that makes them stand out from the other couples.

On the 2nd point, as much as I hate it, the break up was necessary, and I don't think it was done for ratings.   The writers know the Shamys are pissed off right now.

If we take off our rose-colored glasses, we will see that the relationship had gone stagnant.  Sheldon had gotten comfortable with the way things were, and Amy realized she was enabling his behavior by letting him get away with not treating her as a priority.  We were getting the same old jokes and complaints played out but in different settings with the same result of being swept under the rug so Sheldon can get his way and be happy.

Some examples:  He told everyone else about the Mars application except her.   On fort night, he lamented being on date night with her instead of the party until she came up with something more fun for him to do.    On date night, his concern was why Amy wouldn't admit she was wrong rather than accepting some blame for what happened.   Continuously, Amy gave him a way out of owning up to his selfishness.    While Sheldon wants Amy around, nine times out of ten, her needs and wants are an afterthought.    This may not be how he feels, but his presentation speaks otherwise. 

Something major needed to happen.   Take two steps back to move ten forward.   

I believe Amy knows exactly what she wants and what she is doing.  It is not originally what she intended.  She wanted a break, not a breakup.   Sheldon failed the test by giving her the ok for her decision and then negated it by trying to shorten the break's duration.   When he mentions them getting back together, it is always about why he feels they should be together.   He has not asked her want she wants or doesn't want?

Post break up, he finally asks her to move in, not because she is his first thought but because he couldn't find anyone else suitable, and he just doesn't want to be alone.   Kudos for Amy saying no, and I am sure she had to muster up the strength to do it, because we know she wants to be with him.

Tough love is painful, but the intent is to help in the long run and produce results.    If she didn't care, she'd avoid him.   She'd be telling all her friends how unhappy she is, etc.   No, she his keeping things to herself and defending him. 

There exists indication that Amy possesses actual love and affection for Sheldon, because she is willing to suffer herself in order to help them eventually succeed.

My heart aches with Sheldon, but this break up is going to do him good.   He might try to regress but will see that these feelings can't be shaken off and he's going to need and want her more than ever. 

Amy is making herself the priority now.   By not having her around at his beckoning and will, he will finally come to understand what it is that she has been feeling all these years, and why she has longed for the things he has denied her for so long.    Why?  Because he will start feeling them, too.

Sometimes a fall is needed in order to stand up stronger. 

The writers may have different ideas, but this is how I see things at this moment.

Well put.  :good:

edit

well it's a long post. From my point of view this couple ought to have marriage first then consummate it. I mean with signed roommate and relationship agreements I don't see Sheldon doing anything without a signed agreement. 

Edited by djsurrey

I would hope they wouldn't use anything as artificial as an accident or a family emergency or whatever to "force" them to interact.

AGREE. I still love my idea of Amy finding out Sheldon had turned down a chance to work with Hawking so he would not have to be without her and Sheldon getting a 2nd chance of going and accepting so he would not have to see Amy with anyone else. 

That at would be a major thing for her to realize how he feels for her. 

Edited by Musicsnob
spelling
  • Like 1

I read the Kripke Conondrum. It's so good that I almost, ALMOST, shipped Amy and Kripke together.

Almost.

It's so hard to follow the flow of the show without spoilers centrally placed. I looking all over the place, gathering what I can find, but I'm also afraid of what I may find. All I know is that I can't wait for the season to start, even if I can't watch the shows live because I'm in class.

• Like 3

it's ok in fan fiction if that's how the writers want to take it

Edited by rachelshamyfan