[Spoilers] Shamy: Season 9

Tensor

Shamy suddenly getting hot and heavy is IC to you?

While a lovely scenario, it would proof that this break up was pointless, which is the only outcome, besides them not getting back together.

We know that there's no point in this breakup but to drag things out. It's pretty clear from all interviews since the moment they conceived it. Everyone and their dog knows they're getting back together. I don't know what you would consider a purposeful breakup at this point? A purposeful breakup could only be one where Shamy were sure of their choice to part ways, but it's been obvious since the very first episode that the writers don't want to give that impression and instead want us to believe they are meant to be together, and that Amy didn't REALLY want it, but they just need to get their act together. The whole plot here is "They want to be together, but misunderstandings keep pushing them apart". Which is, again, why this whole pile of constant misunderstandings between them feels forced and contrived to me: because it's there just to drag things out. I mean it's the oldest trick in television books!

Well, good on the writers that people enjoy this.   However, this is my biggest issue with this whole story arc.   It feels so forced.   With the characters they have given us,  this should be over.   These two long for logic and rationale.  It's how they operate.   That's why in the past when they have had an issue they've sought each other out and asked what the deal is.   I think some are misunderstanding what is meant when a few of us talk about their communication.   It's not about them seeing eye to eye all the time and never getting their wires crossed.   It's about the fact that they have always been able to say to each other,  "what's the deal?   Why don't we see eye to eye and why are our wires crossed? "  The only reason they haven't done it is because the story arc will be over if they do so.   I say if the story would be over because the characters do what is true to them, then let it happen that way.   Let it be organic and true.   Imagine you're holding a pen and let it go.   Let it be done when it should be done. 

Amen, amen and another amen. Communication does not mean never upsetting the other, never saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, never disagreeing on anything or never pissing each other off. Communication means being able to eventually sit down and talk things through, which Shamy by definition have done since day one. I remember there was an interview with Majim where they were exactly talking about this, and about jealousy, and about how this kind of scenarios would not work with them because they would quickly sit down and say "what's the deal here?" and talk honestly about it. That's why I kept saying the tight timeline of the breakup in the first few episodes this season is the only thing that made me buy it because the emotions were just running too high and too soon for them to have cooled down enough to think things through. Emotional as they might be, Shamy are not people that let emotions dictate their choices or where their lives lead. They never were. The cold, logical approach they had to matters of the heart is what set them apart from other couples. It's what made people love them or hate them. To suddenly have them keep things bottled up for weeks or months on end, which is something totally OOC for them, just because otherwise there's no breakup is essentially saying you can't have a couple like Shamy breakup in the first place unless you turn them into a totally different dynamic. Jim and Mayim have said so themselves; that they're not interacting in the way they spent 5 years crafting and that it's hard on them. Yes, it's realistic for many many couples in the same situation. Yes, it can make you go "awwww, babies, don't be idiots!". Yes, it can serve the purpose of keeping the story going. But that doesn't mean it fits the characters and how they've been written for 5 years.

• Like 9

The progressions thus far:

8x24 - Amy wants a break

9x01 - Sheldon can't deal with the idea of a break, pushes Amy too far, she breaks up with him

9x02 - Sheldon tries several ways to get her attention, gets rejected by an increasingly more angry Amy each time

9x03 - no interaction between them

9x04 - Sheldon asks Amy to move in, she turns him down

So apart from one episode in which they haven't interacted at all it's been a series of rejections for him with no indication that Amy still wants him - and you're wondering why he may consider to move on while he and the guys are having a beer at a bar?? Give the poor guy a break!

It only proves that Shamy is done.

Sheldon tried to get her back (wether he did it in the right or wrong way doesn't matter), but got shot down time and time again.
Amy has taken no action to get back with him.

Only now she thinks he is moving on, she (possibly) wants him back. To little, to late.

• Like 2

Exactly. There's always that one friend that sees right through the facard. It's just weird that no one has.

I'm gonna be a little mean here, but their friends basically think Amy doesn't deserve to be treated like that, and that Sheldon is better off alone. I think that's the main reason why none of them are trying anything to get them back together.

I remember when Howardette had problems Penny was the first to remind Bernie that she had other options.

• Like 3

I'm gonna be a little mean here, but their friends basically think Amy doesn't deserve to be treated like that, and that Sheldon is better off alone. I think that's the main reason why none of them are trying anything to get them back together.

I remember when Howardette had problems Penny was the first to remind Bernie that she had other options.

You are right. But 5 years is 5 years. You can't just throw that away. And yes Sheldon has done something's in the relationship that are, I guess cruel, but they made it work and learned to love each other. Amy knew what she was getting into. In my eyes Howardette got very fast very quick so doubts were gonna happen, Bernie didn't know things about Howard where as Amy knows Sheldon better than anyone. 

• Like 3

Speaking about how the group is reacting to the break up, I'm not very surprised by the girls speaking with Amy about other guys, they have always given those kind of advices  to each other during problems with their relevant SO.  I don't like their general attitude towards Shamy's relationship, but TBH at least Bernadette has always had some doubts about it and has shared them with Amy herself a couple of times, so maybe she really thinks she can do better. It remains unclear how Stuart is better than Sheldon, anyway, but...you know.....  The fact is that Amy has not opened her heart to her girl friends,  maybe if she says Penny and Bernie she misses Sheldon and she feels terrible for the break up, their attitude would change and they will try to help her with other kind of advices.

It is odd, however, the guys giving that advice to Sheldon. They know him so well...He has lived without  women in his life for almost 30 years, they saw all the time and the effort he and Amy had to put  even for dating on a regular bases, for months they just communicated throughout social media. It seems just the wrong advice to give to a person like him...I don't know. That being said, they are trying to do their best, when Leonard and Penny broke up none of them was much more supportive (maybe the way guys help each other is more about "facts" than about "words", I don't know...)

I miss, as many of you, the takeaway dinner in 4A, though...The boys/girls situation are fine, but when everyone is happy, now somehow  they  seem forced; and I think I will be even sadder if  (as Molaro suggested in the interview) there will be some group situations without Amy...hope that everything ends soon, but I still think this episode is a (little) step in the right direction.

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 6

Shamy suddenly getting hot and heavy is IC to you?

While a lovely scenario, it would proof that this break up was pointless, which is the only outcome, besides them not getting back together.

I took hot and heavy to mean a passionate make out , they were only 1 stage away from that in the finale , so yes I'd say while making up in the delight at realising all will be well and they are getting back on the same page - I can totally see and good passionate make out , while keeping IC. 

• Like 4

The RA is still absent.   It would be nice to see the next step for Sheldon to finally present Amy with the Termination Clause and she cave to emotions of not wanting to be apart any longer, culminating in their much needed discussion and reconciliation.   

This is all about miscommunication and misunderstanding.    They both really do want the same things, and I see warm and fuzzy moments between them going forward as they work this out.  In a way, I am glad the friends are staying out of it and letting them work this out on their own.   They will come to see what we have seen all along, that these two really are made for each other, even if no one understands them.

nothing would make me happier than Sheldon presenting Amy with a Termination Clause so they could start a fresh without one. I know it's Sheldon's comfort blanket but you'd think, during a a break up, he'd cling to it for dear life 

I'd rather the friends stay out of their relationship then egg them to do things to help get over it. It's very weird that the boys egg Sheldon to do something like ask someone out. Some things don't add up atm. 

• Like 3

On the one hand I feel relieved because after experiencing so many weeks of angst, i'm finally seeing the light at the tunnel's end.

But on the other hand, I really understand those who are unhappy with today's spoilers because to have Amy experience jealousy or rejection to have her do something for the reconciliation is cliché and bad writing.

As for the reconciliation per se, I just want a nice conversation between them. No "hot kiss" because it'll sound too OOC. And God forbids, NO RING. If they show the ring during their reconciliation, or worse, just before it, it would send the wrong message that whatever griefs Amy had towards Sheldon, it just takes a ring to sweep it off. No Shamy fan wants that, right?

• Like 4

This whole Shamy break-up issue was getting to me, so I decided to leave this maelstrom to itself, concentrating on other things. I'm somehow bothered by the direction this whole plot is taking. Having read the bits and pieces of information provided to us, I'm actually not sure where this is supposed to lead. The whole "miscommunication-trope" is kinda worn out. I understand Shamy morphed into the Lead-couple, now that Lenny are married. As soon as Amy and Sheldon get each other, the show is dead. With that in mind I have mixed feelings about this season, since TPTB will certainly drag this out. 

I find this whole "asking other people out" dilemma doesn't really fit into the whole Shamy story. It seems vaguely OOC for Sheldon to ask those women out, comedic purpose aside. I can clearly relate to Amy's irritation here. With Sheldon hardly showing any interest in romance during his relationship with Amy, I can only assume this to be pretty hurtful for her. Sheldon's character has always been intriguing to me. Seeing this guy with Asperger's (or whatever, TPTB are rather vague about that) trying to cope with emotions in his unique way, was what hooked me in the first place. I always felt that Amy understood the essence of his personality, that she was aware of the fact, that Sheldon simply isn't able to feel things the way she does. I still believe that Amy broke up with him in order to find out whether she could actually give up on her dreams of a knight in shining armor sweeping her of her feet. For this would surely never happen with Sheldon. I suppose she'll come around and realize that relationships are never that simple. She was certainly drawn to him because of his idiosyncrasies.

I really hope the writers aren't planning to use the "guy changes into someone else in order to get the girl" - trope. This whole miscommunication and asking other people out thing is definitely common practice, but it's too common for the Shamy. It feels like the characters are changing into something they are not. 

I don't want to sound bitter but it's just that I'm losing interest already. I'm pretty sure I'll get hooked again once I see season 9 on screen. I'll probably hold my head in shame for posting my disappointment here. 

Over and out! 

• Like 3

It's not that this wasn't an interesting development. We're clearly shown that Amy MIGHT be regretting her decision to break up with him...but I'm with koops on this one. This could be solely for the purpose of making Amy think she was right and that she mean next to nothing to Sheldon. With how he's already asking women out right after they broke up while Amy is still rejecting men because she still loves him, she's too hurt (and they're too gross).

While I see how this could be plausible, I don't think this is likely.    Amy knows very well how much she means to Sheldon.   Come on, he caused her to break up with him, because he was trying to get her to shorten the break because he loves and wants to be with her.    Amy is not clueless.

It's starting to sound like a broken record, but her issue was about priorities and his respecting her needs.   If he had just given her the space she asked for to think, they never would have broken up.  

Also, Sheldon clearly told her that the only reason he asked the other women out was because he was told it was a good way to move on.

No one understands Shamy's relationship.   That is all there is to it.    Looking through the window, everyone thinks the relationship was doomed from the start, so why bother helping them get back together.   

If Penny truly thinks Amy is unhappy, what benefit is it for her to encourage her to go back to Sheldon?   If Amy really doesn't want to be with Sheldon, why would Leonard encourage him to try to win her back?  

The friends are just respecting Amy's decision for the breakup and helping both of them to move on from it.  

Once the two reconcile, I am sure everyone will be cheering them on with utter confusion as always.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 6

I agreed I don't see this going into her dating somebody. I see the complete opposite. It just makes her see that she could loose him forever in all of this. And probably she never thought of that through this whole thing. I wanted emotions from Amy and her to appreciate him and all he did move for her and this sounds like a way to do it without having either of them date. Both are still clearly hung up on each that I hope the dating others is done. This opened the door to get Amy moving. I think this was progress and makes me confident with some kind of reconciliation by E7/E8 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This make me feel very posative, along with several others posts I've liked today too :) . Thank you.

I read the TR and felt it sounded like good all round, funny episode and moving forward with our lovely couple . I was happy with the progress and it made me very hopeful. 

I think we need some positivity  here, I know we're all anxious for all to be well and I really believe it'll be very soon.  

Looking forward to hearing Kazzie's views later too. 

• Like 5

Even if the guys had told him to do so, he would never have entertained the idea of asking a woman out before and now he is.  Also add in the fact that she had to push him into asking her to be his girlfriend in the first place and now he's asking other women out without much pushing at all.  It doesn't bode well and at the very least she's going to start thinking if he's ready to ask other women out, then she may as start dating other people as well.

Sheldon is not thinking clearly.   He's leaning on others to carry him through this difficult time.

He is in pain and feeling emotions he doesn't want.   He is looking for a way to ease his suffering so he can get back to some sense of normalcy without Amy in his life.

He only asked the women out, and they were random women (even a grandmother for goodness sakes).    He didn't ask any of them to be his girlfriend.

Completely different situation here.   He did what he did because it was the advice he got for being a good way to move on.   He even told Amy that was his motivation behind it.

• Like 8

I haven't had time to read through all the posts and I'm at work so...

But I felt like addressing a few of the things that I've seen just in a general discussion.

I think that while Sheldon and Amy do have good communication skills and will generaly sit down and talk it through, I think that most of the time Amy is the "teacher", for want of a better word.  She often has to spell things out to him, like the stuff about the Raiders/LHOTP thing, but that doesn't mean that they've got a fool-proof relationship.  She often has to explain why she is upset about something, and Sheldon often takes that retaliatory road if gets upset, even after 5 years.

So the break-up was built on Amy's frustration with Sheldon's nonsense, and his continued inability to let her think, or perhaps giving her more reasons to need to consider how she really feels.

I wouldn't say the break-up is pointless just because we know they'll end up together.  I feel like putting them through this fire can only refine them and strengthen their bond, and perhaps help Sheldon to understand her perspective a little better.  I don't see this as teen romance door-slamming, but typical humans being not quite on the same page for the moment.  Think about married couples going through counseling.  They may not really want a divorce or even a separation, but somewhere along the line, they got out of sync in their communication or their desires.  Maybe she expects him to be more thoughtful while he expects her to be more practical or whatever.

I think that it could be a matter of love languages, as I think I've mentioned before.  For Amy, love is about attention, maybe a little romance, some physical intimacy, and so forth.  For Sheldon, oftentimes he enjoys gifts more than anything "mushy".  If Amy gives him a ride on a vintage train, he gets an urge to hug her (even if he kolinahrs his way through it.)

I agree that their friends are taking the break-up at face value.  They haven't tried to psychoanalyze them as to whether or not the break-up is a good thing, but their likely to think it was inevitable, given the way they all see each other's relationships.

When Leonard and Penny broke up, they guys were telling Leonard to move on, even teasing him about being dumped, saying things like bros before hos, and encouraging him to go to bars and pick up women.  "Getting back on the whores" is their solution for heartbreak.  When Howard got dumped by Leslie Winkle, they took him to Vegas and got him a prostitute.  When Raj got dumped by Lucy (the real breakup), no one encouraged him to pursue her.  When she wanted to see him that last time, he was starting to date Emily, but no one said, "Run back to Lucy and win her back!!!!"

So, as far as the guys are concerned, Amy essentially dumped Sheldon.  They're not going to be privy to her reasons, especially since she probably hasn't sorted everything out for herself.  She's not going to run to the whole gang and say, "This is why I broke up with Sheldon!"

So, their solution is to try to help him get over her.  By the time they go to the bar, he thinks Kripke is going to ask her out, she has rejected his offer to have her move in with him (which he solidly refused every time it was brought up before), and he's depressed and missing her.  Solution--go out with someone else!

As for the girls, because they've known Sheldon longer than Amy has, they can't believe that he's good boyfriend material, and even though Penny has been pro-Shamy before, she also has poked fun at Sheldon as a boyfriend because of the way he is as a person ("That face eventually starts talking".)  And Bernie has always seemed to think that Amy could do better.

So not that they know they're broken up, their eager to try to get her out there, dolling her up, trying to find her dates.  I think that Stuart was just a convenient alternative--he's a single guy they know.

What I'm encouraged by is that neither of Sheldon nor Amy thought about dating others on their own.  They were essentially pushed into considering it.  Amy turned down both guys and she didn't seek out a date.  Sheldon, being the guy and being expected to do the asking, didn't want to find a new girlfriend, but was pushed by the guys to try it as a solution to missing Amy.

I don't know that this is going to be some magical moment of epiphany for either of them, but perhaps Amy, being the one who broke up with him, will see that the others are encouraging them both to move on, when that's not what she wants at all.  Sheldon has to deal with the fear that she might indeed move on, that other guys may hit on her.

I don't now that it will show Sheldon that he needs to make her a priority, and I don't know that it will show Amy that she might lose him, but perhaps it will help her figure out what it was that she needed to think about that first night.

• Like 8

Sheldon is not thinking clearly.   He's leaning on others to carry him through this difficult time.

He is in pain and feeling emotions he doesn't want.   He is looking for a way to ease his suffering so he can get back to some sense of normalcy without Amy in his life.

He only asked the women out, and they were random women (even a grandmother for goodness sakes).    He didn't ask any of them to be his girlfriend.

Completely different situation here.   He did what he did because it was the advice he got for being a good way to move on.   He even told Amy that was his motivation behind it.

His friends are giving him the wrong advice because he hasn't told them how he's feeling and secondly he didn't tell Amy that he didn't really want to ask them out.

His friends are giving him the wrong advice because he hasn't told them how he's feeling and secondly he didn't tell Amy that he didn't really want to ask them out.

1. Agree on first point.
2. Don't need to hear any confirmation from Sheldon. He would ask those women out of his own volition if he wanted them,but he didn't.

My point was that Amy doesn't know he didn't want to and will think he did.

He said he was turned down, and as jenafan said, he did so because his friends advised him so.

I think Amy is more upset with the idea that Sheldon is trying - trying being the operative word here - to move on. While technically they are broken up, emotionally and mentally they still aren't.

• Like 1

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic